Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crack down on eBay!

Unhappy Crack down on eBay!

Crack down on eBay! Please! This is KILLING the economy that and exploiting. EQ has a very strict no eBay policy. Go on eBay or any online auction site. No EQ accounts or items or platinum. Do what they did however they did it. For the sake of the economy.
    . : Oldskule - 87 Martial Artist RK1 Kung Fu Fighter! : .

. : Ternak - 112 Soldier RK1 *Dead* : .

. : Jenerik - 8 Enforcer RK1 Just another generic Enforcer : .

I agree with you as far as exchanging money for in-game items.

However, the lesson Funcom should learn from this is that its customers are asking for a better way to barter. If people want to purchase an item with money from another player, it should happen through funcom (for a transaction fee). Same goes for buying and selling accounts. This gives Funcom all the data it would need to track exploiters.

Some people are just lazy, or have money to burn, and would rather pay money than do things the hard way. It would be nice if Funcom would see what its customers are asking for in this case, and maybe provide the ability to sell/trade accounts, and maybe even provide a better mechanism to auction items. I'm not sure I like the idea about buying credits, though.
    Born on: Wed Jun 27 15:39:10 2001
    Slavor, Soldier, RK1

They said they would be I doub they will do anything. They should contact Ebay like Verant did and go after the 10-20 hardcore sellers and kick them out of the game.

The number of ebay pages for AO has really decreased though. Still there are a few hardcore people who are probably making a living selling credits and stuff there.
    Fear is the Mind Killer.
    You wasted life, why wouldn't you waste death?

Originally posted by Bonk
    They said they would be I doub they will do anything. They should contact Ebay like Verant did and go after the 10-20 hardcore sellers and kick them out of the game.

The number of ebay pages for AO has really decreased though. Still there are a few hardcore people who are probably making a living selling credits and stuff there.
    NikkiDial made something like 30 grand. Maybe more. Yes, there are some folks who are making out like bandits.

Re: Crack down on eBay!

Originally posted by Oldskule / Ternak
    Crack down on eBay! Please! This is KILLING the economy that and exploiting.
    Now, I don't doubt what you say is true, but I'd sure like to understand it. Its unclear to me, for example, how selling, say, 20 million credits on eBay ruins the economy more than giving that same 20 million credits away to your lowbie friends. Same 20 million credits gets distributed, and maybe even the same people get it. So what is it about selling them on eBay that undermines the economy, while giving them away does not? Or is there something else going on here that I've missed? If so, what is it, and why does it pose a threat to the game?

Personally I think a total and complete credit wipe is LOOOOOOOOONG overdue. Oh yeah, and a money-cap.

dead wrong

ebay is just a sympton.

the disease is the abundance of time sinks in the game.

broken shops, camping, impossibility to solo - hell you cant even put your implants in or cast your nanos solo (ok traders and metas can).

people are by their nature lazy and will seek shortcuts for these things because they are work.

and work != fun else you would not be payed for doing it.

if you want to get rid of ebay make all items blitzable.

make the shops stock standard nanos and armor up to ql 200.

get rid of camping by increasing the spawn/spawning several instances of the mob.

unless this happens you will always have ebay.
    sept 03 - the day ao was keeled by sl.

gone now. byebye.

Re: dead wrong

Originally posted by Blackwing
    ebay is just a sympton.

the disease is the abundance of time sinks in the game.

broken shops, camping, impossibility to solo - hell you cant even put your implants in or cast your nanos solo (ok traders and metas can).

people are by their nature lazy and will seek shortcuts for these things because they are work.

and work != fun else you would not be payed for doing it.

if you want to get rid of ebay make all items blitzable.

make the shops stock standard nanos and armor up to ql 200.

get rid of camping by increasing the spawn/spawning several instances of the mob.

unless this happens you will always have ebay.
    That first line is good I think it will go in my signature

At one time, Platinium for EverQuest had just about the same Exchange rate as Japanese Yen.
    Not sure how it stands right now though.

AO Credits is way lower than the Yen though ... much, much lower.
    Alex "Cado" Portello - Atrox Enforcer
    Lakisha "Sheelai" Thompon - Solitus Doctor
    Al "Asdur" Orender - Solitus Martial Artist

I have no nose .. I peeked on Ani while she took a shower!

well the only thing ebay does is

first off its like cheating
    second if someone ninjaloots something or steals something it will end up on ebay i know 2 players ingame who lost their overpadded coats couse someone stole em and then sold em on ebay fc did how ever ban this person and gave back the items.
    Carmilla - 210 Shade
    Zerosnake - 220 Agent

Heh .. I took a look at the Ebay money actions and found that there's quite a difference in the Currency values betweem Rubi-Ka 1 & 2.

Basically, for 1 US$ you get about 1.000.000 Credits on Rubi-Ka 1, but only about 500.000 Credits on Rubi-Ka 2.

The numbers :
    Code:
    RK1:
    30.000.000 C   /   31 $
    10.000.000 C   /   11 $
    20.000.000 C   /   34,99 $
    10.000.000 C   /   10,5 $
    10.000.000 C   /   5,5 $
    20.000.000 C   /   41 $
     5.000.000 C   /   19.99
    50.000.000 C   /   51 $
    50.000.000 C   /   30 $
    10.000.000 C   /   2 $
    50.000.000 C   /   51 $
    ---------------------------------
    Summary : 265.000.000 C / 287,98 $ = 920.202,7 C / 1 $ 
    Rounded Values : 0,92 Mill C / 1 $

RK2:
    10.000.000 C   /   20 $
    25.000.000 C   /   50 $
    10.000.000 C   /   19,99 $
    10.000.000 C   /   15 $
    10.000.000 C   /   15 $
    10.000.000 C   /   20 $
    25.000.000 C   /   50 $
    ------------------------------
    100.000.000 C / 189,99 $ = 526.343,4  / 1 $ 
    Rounded Values : 0,53 Mill C / 1 $

Note :
    Only auctions that had bids on them were used.
    Any auction without a bid was ignored.
    Last edited by Cado; Nov 17th, 2002 at 06:35:15.
    Alex "Cado" Portello - Atrox Enforcer
    Lakisha "Sheelai" Thompon - Solitus Doctor
    Al "Asdur" Orender - Solitus Martial Artist

I have no nose .. I peeked on Ani while she took a shower!

Originally posted by Speedfeet
    well the only thing ebay does is

first off its like cheating
    second if someone ninjaloots something or steals something it will end up on ebay i know 2 players ingame who lost their overpadded coats couse someone stole em and then sold em on ebay fc did how ever ban this person and gave back the items.
    Is it like cheating? Why? Is it necessary to earn it before it becomes legit? I have giving millions away in items to guild members and friends; and received at least as much, probably more. People don't have to do squat for it, just join a guild, and high end stuff is pretty easy to come by. People have given me millions in cash as well. Some people stand in the newbie area and give stuff away. These are all legitimate activities that everyone participates in, so it sure can't be lack of earning it that makes picking it up on eBay cheating.

Another option, is that selling stuff on eBay operates outside of the normal game mechanics,and is therefore cheating. That's plausible on first blush, but then transfering stuff to an alt would fall into the same catefory (ie. transfers relies upon a meta world connection between chars, just as eBay is a meta world connection betwen chars). Yet transfers are seen by almost everyone as not just legitimate, but as an essential activity. So meta world interaction, can't be the problem either.

I'm not defending selling stuff on eBay, btw. Rather, I'm trying to get a handle on the principle that people are aggravated over. Once you understand that, then you can deal with the problem. Without the knowledge of the principle that's being violated, any so-called solution is just a hack.
    Last edited by Wraith God; Nov 17th, 2002 at 07:35:54.

Just stop it. It was silly on UO castles selling for $1000s. Put in EULA so it will end.

If they wiped everyone's money and put in a hard cap of like 30 million, the problem would be solved.

I'd never sink so low as to cheat and violate the EULA to enrich myself by abusing eBay in this manner.

And there are already too many clueless newbies running around in high level eBay characters totally destroying team play.

Track down the eBayers and ban them. Permanently.
    Seid. Clan Nano Technician, Atlantean
    Proud member of Opposing Force ( Website )
    Seid's Hideout : Home of the Friends List Tool
    I would like to see a mail system in AO, for letters, money and goods, and with mail order !

Originally posted by Oldskule / Ternak
    Just stop it. It was silly on UO castles selling for $1000s. Put in EULA so it will end.
    It has always been in the EULA. But there are people who think they have a god given right to violate any rules as they see fit and make money off it to boot.
    I would like to see a mail system in AO, for letters, money and goods, and with mail order !

yea yea

I read the whole EULA, and i see nothing that says you cannot sell your services on auction sites. i am tired, so maybe i missed it. Anyways, i dont believe selling accounts is a good thing, but then again there are ppl who have lives, unlike most the ppl who play AO, and they dont have tim to play to super high lvls, so buying an account might be a good thing for them.

As for selling items, im still Iffy on that one, but selling credits or service to collect credits seems fair and square- its no different than doing it for a guild, a friend or anyone.
    Example:
    SupaReet sells 20 mil credits to SupaLeet on ebay for 20 USD.

How does that affect you at all? it doesnt, it only affects the buyer and seller- so how can it hurt the game economy? it wont.

boo hoo hoooo, sinking as low as what? your upper class sinking as low as my very lower class? rich boy sinking to poor boy? things are different when you dont have money. its not really Enriching myself, its more like a job, just enough to pay the bills.

newbie chars in high level ebay accounts-- how much more does this screw up team play than you did when you were a newbie? it was all new to you back then so what? they learn, just takes time.

Well, since this is

Well, since this is suggestions i suggest funcom makes its own real-money-for-game-items shops and auctions site

I dont see how any of you can complain on this one, it worked so well with 10six!

IDEA:
    Auction site for game items with option for real money or game credits- costing a small fee to host auctions. Funcom makes money off your auctions so they shouldnt complain. This is what its all about anyways, the game company making money. eBay doesnt ruin economy, it doesnt ruin anything whatsoever, just annoys you guys that worked so hard to get where you are, and since someone is making money off funcoms game, they arent going to like that, so ban ban ban.......lose a player because he made a quick buck from the game he invested so much money and time into.........i dont get why its so bad at all.....

Official response from Cosmik the last time this issue was discussed :

Ok guys, official stance:

As some have already pointed out, the EULA states: "You may not sell or auction any Funcom characters, items, coin or copyrighted material."

This is what eBay is all about. So no, we don't support the selling of any in-game items or accounts on eBay. We reserve the right to take action against those that do. In fact, we have banned some accounts that were up for sale on eBay.

We do take the EULA seriously. It's there for a reason. I hope Gaute's article in which he talks about expoiting shows you that. I can only hope you guys take it as seriously."
    I have no problem understanding this. Do you ?

Re: You are all lame

Originally posted by ZazeDrakel
    Ebay ruins nothing at all. Im a solo player, and it was hard as hell to start out. If i bought credits on ebay, i would have enjoyed the game lots more than having to collect 100s of rat tails to get some cash so i could finally upgrade something.....

The selling of things on ebay scared EQ into doing something about it because the players were making more money than EQ owners were for that account.....so what? they worked hard for it, just like the people who made the game worked hard to make that-- in the end, charging ppl per month and making well over what they need.....

when i get good enough to be able to get millions of credits easily and rare items, i will sell them on ebay. Im not rich, i can barely afford internet and AO, so that measley 20 dollars for 15 million credits would help me pay Funcom to play.....as i see it it acctually HELPS the game economy....

Quit whining, its just flat out annoying. Also, get an eBay account and sell some of that hard earned credits, and then youll be singing a different tune
    lol, if u need Ebay to get cash, items...you are really a little player.

I started this game 6 months ago without help.

When i need money i sneak/blitz mission and sell on trade channels...(ingame of course ).

I'm not a poor player, im not a really rich one too. I can buy by mysleff what i want...and i can help friends to buy their amors/weapons/yalm...

Why you don't buy a lvl200 char on Ebay ?

Ho it's true..anything interesting for you to do after..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast