Thread: Cz: How were beta testers picked?

Cz: How were beta testers picked?

How were beta testers picked?
    . : Oldskule - 87 Martial Artist RK1 Kung Fu Fighter! : .

. : Ternak - 112 Soldier RK1 *Dead* : .

. : Jenerik - 8 Enforcer RK1 Just another generic Enforcer : .

They picked everyone who didn't ask this question and then cut that number by picking people waving their checkbooks above their heads...and anyone who worked for IGN, because we know how much they looooove AO.
    -- Falling never killed anyone, its always the landing.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    RK-1
    |OT|
    Telgi-61 Solitus Enforcer
    Gauf-31 Nanomage Doctor
    Saruzi- -=128=- Opifex Nano-Technician.
    Manstien-44 Solitus Soldier

They didn't pick me :/ I bet it's because Cz hates me.

Edited: I just checked my email. Wooty indeed.

Well I wanted to beta test maybe it was first come first serve.....

/shrug
    . : Oldskule - 87 Martial Artist RK1 Kung Fu Fighter! : .

. : Ternak - 112 Soldier RK1 *Dead* : .

. : Jenerik - 8 Enforcer RK1 Just another generic Enforcer : .

Smile Hmmm....

I think there was a prefrence towards PvP oriented people / guilds. I am the leader of a social/roleplay guild, and my request to enter the beta program was denied.

It wasn't first come first serve. I signed up in the first few hours the page was available.
    - Szentasha
    Leader of Unity of the Rose

AOScripter 2.0 If you need a script, you need AOScripter!

*** Remove Social Armor Restrictions Today !!!

I think it had more to do with Test server time/bug reporting ability.. Then Experenced with Pvp'rs...
    Q u o t e:
    ((OOC))

Pardon me for hijacking the thread, here..

But, Brion - if you don't want your mother to know you were up and on the computer at 3:29 in the morning - DON'T post on a forum that she reads.

Busted.
    Grounded.

From the WoW forums. best PWNAGE EVAH!!!

Yes, some of the current testers were picked (more like dragged by their heals because they knew the EP would crash their computer ). The beta signup probably will accept only a few of the people who want to enter at first, but is still useful.

i hope i get picked... my friend isn't much of a pvper or a bug reporter and he still got picked
    Kukulza proud unit member of Storm!!! - Equip - Perks
    Kuzap

K.U.K.U.L.Z.A.: Kinetic Upgraded Knight Used for Learning and Zealous Assassination

\m/ \m/

I have never PvP'ed and I'm on the beta.

I do however have quite a bit of beta testing experience with other games so that may have been a factor.

What you have to bear in mind is that there is a need (in any beta) for 'newbies' to try and break the system in ways a 'sensible' person wouldnt even contemplate.

Stupidity is not something that can be easily replicated :-)

They havent published the criteria (nor do I expect them too - would cause loads of applications that were 'just perfect' for the job) but dont always assume its obvious.
    Dont you think I look like Geordie from Star Trek?
    <-----------------------------------------------------------
    Actually I look more of a cross between him and Picard don't I?

I have never PvP'd much either Warlock and I was picked. It may be how I presented my approach to looking for bugs, and reporting them, or maybe it was my expressed enthusiasm for trying new things and experimenting. But then again, it could have been completely random.
    Hattie "Ditzie" Wagner
    Director of "Devil's Advocate"
    A Division of "Omni-Reform"

/me wonders if funcom still have the means to have employees reading thousands of motivation "letters" in a few days.

I would more bet on a random software selection.

LOL, well being an ex beta tester of the game we're playing now, and knowing FC and their NDA policies during beta tests...either:

a) you were selected and have now broken it by stating so, don't bother signing up to test Shadowlands.

b) you weren't picked and are just saying you are.

Now, defense of "b" will lead to either, "a" happening faster, or proving "b" correct. g'luck =)
    Lisa "Fistofpaper" Bliss
    200 Killpet Legend, RK1

Natasha "Nursedaou" Evile
    Chief of Stuffed Sturgeons and Healer of Hajk, RK1

Jynne - ... it doesn't matter if the glass is half full or half empty. Just drink the ****in' water. =p
    Dovve - If you are a poet, when you read the words on this paper, you will see a cloud

Originally posted by Fistofpaper
    a) you were selected and have now broken it by stating so, don't bother signing up to test Shadowlands.
    Well if we broke NDA by saying so we'd have been kicked off the beta by now wouldnt we? Besides if you're not on the beta you dont know whats in the NDA, it may not be the one they used on the original game (dont know because I didnt beta that)

But yes would could all be lying
    Dont you think I look like Geordie from Star Trek?
    <-----------------------------------------------------------
    Actually I look more of a cross between him and Picard don't I?

I think its based both on experience/inexperience and in certain part random. I got in and I'm fairly experienced, primarily as an Explorer and Socializer/Roleplayer but I have also seen people there who is clearly very new to AO and only have a limited experience (Note: These people were most likely picked to evaluate the impact on the Inexperienced population)

edited for poor spelling
    Last edited by Dharshar; Nov 19th, 2002 at 14:40:36.

Originally posted by Fistofpaper
    LOL, well being an ex beta tester of the game we're playing now, and knowing FC and their NDA policies during beta tests...either:

b) you weren't picked and are just saying you are.

Now, defense of "b" will lead to either, "a" happening faster, or proving "b" correct. g'luck =)
    The NDA does not disallow you from disclosing that you are IN the beta, but rather what you EXPERIENCE in the Beta
    Last edited by Dharshar; Nov 19th, 2002 at 15:02:52.

Talking

i got in beta, all i said was that im experienced and that im willing to report all the bugs. THATS what most of funcom is looking for. IIIIIIMMMMMMM UUUUUUBBBBBEEEEEERRRRRRRRR!!!!!