Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heroic Failures

Heroic Failures

Just thought I would start another humour thread off.

The perpose of this thread is share tails of heroic failures, or other sorts of stupidity. They can either be true to life things that have happened to you or your friends, or things you have read about. My only request is you keep them true, to the best of your knowledge.

I will start with a couple

Firstly, from WWII.

The russians trained up dogs to recognise the underside of tanks as haveing food, so explosives could then be strapped to them, and used to destroy German tanks (Interesting idea, if a bit hard on the dogs). It proved easy to ge the dogs to associate tanks with food, so the plan was put into operation. Unfortuantly on the first time it was actually tried in a battle, it was discovered the dogs only associated RUSSIAN tanks with food, not german, and so forced a Russian formation to retreat from their own "secret" weapon. The plan was abandoned after this.

Another case was of military stupidity was when a Royal naval team had entered a yacht race. It managed to finish one of the legs of the race in first place, and recived a gun salute from a royal navel vessel that was in port at the time. Unfortunaly the shot from the salute managed to hit the yachts sail, and the team had to spend the time they had gain by winning repairing the sail.

Hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

Best one...

I really like the one about the french submarine with screen doors.

Supposed to be true :)

A U.S. aircraft carrier was travelling up the eastern coast of North America and caught in a fog bank, when the radar operator allerted the captain of a 'blip' on the radar. This unidentified 'blip' was on a collision course, so the captain hailed the 'blip'. Following is a substance of the transcript:

Captain: "Unidentified Canadian vessel, this is the U.S.S. xxxx (forgot the name). You are on a collision course. Please adjust your course x degrees."

Canadian Blip: "Negative U.S.S. xxxx, please adjust your course."

Captain: (feeling a little annoyed) "Unidentified vessel, you will adjust your course immediately to x degrees."

Canadian Blip: "Negative. You need to adjust your course."

Captain: (now incensed) "Canadian vessel, this is the U.S.S. xxxx. We are a U.S. warship. You WILL adjust your course."

Canadian Blip: "We're a lighthouse. Your call"

Kymmie

roflmao
    /me falls of his chair laughing
    WWYD - What would YODA do?
    Fluxlee - Martial Artist
    DeltaFlux - Bureaucrat
    I'm A: Chaotic Good Drow Fighter Ranger - Follower Of The Spider Goddess Lloth
    Ultimate Techno!
    "And the dragon comes in the NIIIIIIIiIIIIIIIiIIIGGH"
    Strong Bad Action Figure!
    From a scale of one to awesome , I'm SUPER GREAT!!
    March forward! Not backward, upward, not forward and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!!
    Veteran of a thousand Psychic Wars
    Powerflux - Future pilot of a Galaxy-Class Drop ship

Ok, this isn't military failure, but more a failure in my part :P

When I first started dating my current GF, I took her out on a date to a really nice resturaunt. Trying to be gentlemanly like, I decided to go open her door for her, which I did without a problem. But I closed the door on the back of her skirt, and caused it to rip about 6 inches in the back. Talk about embarrassment :P

We still have a happy relationship to this day though, and that was a year ago, but she still pushes it in my face everytime we go out :P
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Even if your minds confused,
    then this is what you need to do,
    you need to get that mixed up feeling upside in from out of you" -Mr. Bones

Originally posted by Cyronic
    We still have a happy relationship to this day though, and that was a year ago, but she still pushes it in my face everytime we go out :P
    just to let you know, she will probably push it into your face for the rest of the time she knows you, women are like that. Fun aren't we

oh, and this thread isn't just for military matters, that was jus the first 2 examples I could think of, I will try and give some more later.

hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

Re: Supposed to be true :)

Originally posted by Kymaene
    A U.S. aircraft carrier was travelling up the eastern coast of North America and caught in a fog bank, when the radar operator allerted the captain of a 'blip' on the radar. This unidentified 'blip' was on a collision course, so the captain hailed the 'blip'. Following is a substance of the transcript:

Captain: "Unidentified Canadian vessel, this is the U.S.S. xxxx (forgot the name). You are on a collision course. Please adjust your course x degrees."

Canadian Blip: "Negative U.S.S. xxxx, please adjust your course."

Captain: (feeling a little annoyed) "Unidentified vessel, you will adjust your course immediately to x degrees."

Canadian Blip: "Negative. You need to adjust your course."

Captain: (now incensed) "Canadian vessel, this is the U.S.S. xxxx. We are a U.S. warship. You WILL adjust your course."

Kymmie
    LMAO. I laughed for like half an hour strieght
    Spongebobby 215 Crat : Rimor
    Magnatta 177 MA : Rimor

"Feeling lonely and content at the same time,
    I believe, is a rare kind of happiness" -Nightwish

Too bad the story about the lighthouse isn't true.

Urban legend.
    --
    Kenlon- Combat Medic, RK1
    "This! Is! My! Boomstick!" Gear.

Creaky old vet, back for another go-round.

He's right, funny but not true. Now on the other hand the screen door on the french sub is very true.

hehe

I guess if you ask the frech people they will say that the french sub screening thing is a hoax while the US navy thing is real....
    Operation impending doom 2 seems to have started with patch 15.6.5
    12.6 first contact, 14.6 second attempt, 16.6 Invasion of the gabber bots ?
    Old and bitter player, currently playing: Justincase GA4 wearing phix0r
    Originally posted by Cz
    I already saw this thread, but refrained from answering due to the pleasant show of confidence from Lumin.
    Sing a song for FunCom

Originally posted by Kenlon
    Too bad the story about the lighthouse isn't true.

Urban legend.
    Really? I didn't know that. Always heard that it was true.

Here's another one - again supposedly true - but I think this one is urban legend:

One night in the Arizona desert (or maybe Death Valley - can't remember for sure), this couple witnessed a streak across the sky with a subsequent explosion in the mountains. Their first thought was that a plane had crashed, so they called the authorities.

After an initial investigation, an airplane crash was ruled out due to lack of debris. There just wasn't much debris at all. This puzzled investigators for some period of time before they were able to piece together what had happened.

Apparently some yahoo got ahold of an afterburner and welded it to his car. Said yahoo then went to the desert and switched it on. After reaching tremendous speeds (in his car), he discovered that the afterburner had no 'off' switch and brakes were ... well ... useless. Soon, said yahoo ran out of road, hit a bump, went airborn, and collided with a mountain, leaving only a sizeable crater and bits of debris as any testimony of his stupidity.

I think that one won a darwin award ...

Kymmie

Sorry Kymmie, but the "Jet assisted takeoff" story is also confirmed bogus. The original story is posted on the Darwin Awards : http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1995-04.html

Go to http://www.darwinawards.com/ for more TRUE and UNTRUE stories like this

I've always loved the Darwin Awards

K.
    Shane "Kavanagh" Sosnowski

Sorry Kymmie, but the "Jet assisted takeoff" story is also confirmed bogus. The original story is posted on the Darwin Awards : http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1995-04.html

K.
    I just hope that the engies and their terrible secret from space comes and take you
    'you must be protected'

you ruin my self-made childhood memory, I was gonna tell people that I saw a lunatic in a car getting airborne and crash with mount gallepiggen
    but nooooooo
    Operation impending doom 2 seems to have started with patch 15.6.5
    12.6 first contact, 14.6 second attempt, 16.6 Invasion of the gabber bots ?
    Old and bitter player, currently playing: Justincase GA4 wearing phix0r
    Originally posted by Cz
    I already saw this thread, but refrained from answering due to the pleasant show of confidence from Lumin.
    Sing a song for FunCom

Originally posted by Kavanagh

K.
    Just gotta ask this:

Kav, what's gone into you?
    You werre never on the boards before. You claimed people spammed too much. Now I see your posts almost everywhere I go.

It's nice to see you around, it's not that. I'm not complaining or anything, just abit curious

Originally posted by Skybert

Just gotta ask this:

Kav, what's gone into you?
    You werre never on the boards before. You claimed people spammed too much. Now I see your posts almost everywhere I go.

It's nice to see you around, it's not that. I'm not complaining or anything, just abit curious
    Well... I'm on periodically. Did a LOT of posting on the 14.6 boards. But I've NEVER complained about spamming the boards.... You on the other hands are ALL over the boards, but I never see you ingame, mate, where are you hiding?

K.
    Shane "Kavanagh" Sosnowski

He has 98 posts and you complain that *he's* the spammer?

<--

I don't remember all the exact details, but what about General "Stonewall" Jackson getting shot by his own men? Anybody able to flesh this out?
    In lieu of a better signature, this'll have to do

Re: Supposed to be true :)

Originally posted by Kymaene

LOOOL
    Healicia - Ragnarok
    BrutalThug - Ragnarok.

It's not evil it's cool! We're not peaceful white people we're cool powerhungry employees!

This article was posted yesterday in my newspaper (Denmark,politiken, in the fun columns)

"Only in USA" Cigar insurance.

This lawyer from North Carolina goes out and buys a box of rare and very costly cigars, then proceeds to insure them from fire.
    After smoking all of them he goes up to the insurance company and demand compensation. cause all the cigars "was lost due to fire" Insurance company decides not to pay, cause thats just silly... . But the lawyer proceeds to lay charges against the company. And won !

The judge also think its far fetchet, but seeing the insurance company didnt specify which kind of fire would give compensation they should pay back the man. So they do.. 15.000 dollars...!

Lawyer just coming out of the bank , 15k dollars richer gets arrested. With his testimony and the "cigar trial" as evidence he is being charged of "setting insured property on fire on purpose"
    And is given.. 24 months of jail and a 24k $ fine.

true or not ? Well its "over there"

disclaimer: This is not written in english.. its written in what i think is..
    Healicia - Ragnarok
    BrutalThug - Ragnarok.

It's not evil it's cool! We're not peaceful white people we're cool powerhungry employees!

Originally posted by Kavanagh
    Well... I'm on periodically. Did a LOT of posting on the 14.6 boards. But I've NEVER complained about spamming the boards.... You on the other hands are ALL over the boards, but I never see you ingame, mate, where are you hiding?

K.
    I'm, hiding somewhere that's NOT NLC or BS....
    ...and I occationally play with alts. Had some fun with my engie in the subway a couple of times... raised a few lvls on my DOC... guess I should try to get Sky the 1k-board soon. Just 40 missions to go.

-edit-

that, and my job taking more time than usual... makes less time for AO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast