Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time-Line !

CompanyMan, I am not sure if they do, but it is surprising what feedback they are getting. First people just post good ides, than they by themselves polish those ideas to the point where all you have to do is implment it, than we stat talking in terms of Big-O notation to go along with our suggestions. Next we will be posting some psuedo-code and with time perhaps even complete coded classes, ready for them to include. Soon there will be this coalition of programmers working on AO day and night fixing all the bugs not to gain any money, but to simply enjoy the ones they already paid.
    Major Shadowolf Marone
    Blade Corp
    "Leading mercenery organization in the Galaxy!"
    Position - CEO
    Rank - Major

Personal quote:
    "Your advertisement could be here"

Har har

Originally posted by Shadowolf

Haha! Hellow, fellow programmer .
    /OOC

I didnt know you were a programmer Shade?

Can I send you my friends version of tic tac toe in 3d?

it rocks!

Re: What?

Originally posted by Brad, STL/MO
    OK, was there anything in any of the documentation that suggested to you, until now, that the Opifexes and the Nanomages were invented after the Atrox?

It makes no sense to me, no sense at all. The impression I'd gotten was that the Opifexes had been around forever, thousands of years, possibly even going back farther than artificial gravity. Because honestly, the Opifex "form factor" seems to me to only make sense in low-to-no gravity orbital habitats, asteroid mines, or long-distance starships. For the life of me, I can't imagine why Omni-Tek would have created them here. In fact, I can't make any sense out of why Omni-Tek would have created them at all.

Also, somehow I'd gotten the impression that the Atrox were created sterile because they'd learned from the Opifex and the Nanomages that they didn't want to create yet another self-perpetuating species to compete with Homo Solitus.

Not that I expect to get an answer to this question, but ... Ragnar? What the heck is the thinking behind this?
    Good question, Brad. And believe it or not, there is some thought behind it all!

The Atrox was indeed the first breed to be specifically gene-engineered for Rubi-Kan conditions, simply because Omni-Tek needed strong, hardy workers for their notum mining-operations, and they did not want to rely completely on machines and non-sentient gene-engineered breeds like the Blubbag. And Homo Solitus, God bless 'em, aren't suited for a life in the mines.

The Atrox were left sterile because of the potential for mutations, and new Atrox can thus only be created "artificially" in test-tubes, and all are "male". Uh, well, you know what I mean.

Unlike the Atrox and Nano, the basic genetic template of the Opifex is not unique to Rubi-Ka, but the Rubi-Kan "version" of the Opifex was gene-engineered specifically for this planet. I'm not sure if the similar breed on other colonies is called "Opifex", but I'll look into it.

It's important to remember that the ICC specifically forbids the "export" of breeds between colonies, to limit the danger of mutations caused by interbreeding. Thus, without extensive modifications (or a hard-to-procure permit), the Atrox, Opifex, and Nano aren't allowed to travel to Earth, for example. The Solitus, on the other hand, can go anywhere, and that's why new colonies are inhabited almost exclusively by Solitus.

I hope that answered your question!

/ragnar

OK, was there anything in any of the documentation that suggested to you, until now, that the Opifexes and the Nanomages were invented after the Atrox?

It makes no sense to me, no sense at all. The impression I'd gotten was that the Opifexes had been around forever, thousands of years, possibly even going back farther than artificial gravity. Because honestly, the Opifex "form factor" seems to me to only make sense in low-to-no gravity orbital habitats, asteroid mines, or long-distance starships. For the life of me, I can't imagine why Omni-Tek would have created them here. In fact, I can't make any sense out of why Omni-Tek would have created them at all.

Also, somehow I'd gotten the impression that the Atrox were created sterile because they'd learned from the Opifex and the Nanomages that they didn't want to create yet another self-perpetuating species to compete with Homo Solitus.

Not that I expect to get an answer to this question, but ... Ragnar? What the heck is the thinking behind this?
    LOL!
    did you ever bother to read or listen to the breed descriptions ?
    Doubt it

Third part

The third part of the time line is on the official website.

And they added page links to avoid wandering through the all time-line if you already read it and want to have the last update.

You see... in some ways...
    Stercoral.

Circle G Inc. - Your safety is our business.
    http://nattguiden.no/circle-g/

Re: Third part

Originally posted by Stercoral
    ...they added page links to avoid wandering through the all time-line if you already read it and want to have the last update...
    Yay!!! Maybe they do listen.

Neutrals

Before i have a go, well its not really rant more of a question I would like to point out I love the time line. A little more detail would be nice but hay I can make up the missing gaps which is even more fun.

I have an issue with the neutrals or rather the lack of them in the time line. Now I understand before an FC AO had detailed backgrounds on events such as the ICC contract which game Omni-Tek the right to Rubi-Ki. There was a lot of other stuff to, and while I have not seem it posted a lot of people claimed the neutrals where allowed to come to Rubi-Ki as traders, or merchants. Other people have claimed that the neutrals where in fact the orginal people of the planet, but if Omni-Tek really did not find any sight of life on Rubi-Ki this would not be the case.

It maybe that the neutrals are just a group of people that are neither clan nor Omni. People who have given up both ways of life and dont really care one way or the other.

I would really like to know even thought I am not a neutral, where they come from and how or why did they get there lands. It would also be interesting to give them more depth if they will have a role to play in the game. Perhaps some idea of the neutral structure and some of the main people.

Of course I will understand if you dont reply, as the neutrals could have some hidden past that is part of the up and coming storyline. [OOC give me a wink on IRC if this is the case I will not tell anyone else ]

Talking The more the merrier ... timeline is great.

Would you like my reply in character or OOC? I'll do both, in character first.

Yet more proof of the Atrox's slavery status. "The first Atrox was born." Hah! In a test tube? Or does Omni-Med implant eggs in host mothers? Either way, the resulting "human" cannot breed. Therefore controlled. Limited. Cheated.

I call out now to all Atrox. OT, Clan, Neutral. Let us band together. We must become Homo Atrox, not just "the atrox". Omni-Med has the technology. They keep it secret, keep us controlled. They must give us the tech.

Make the dreams stop ... the visions, the strangeness. I do not understand them, but want desperately to. I only know that we are eunuchs by "birth", not by choice.

- Sllaagor
    Clan Atrox Enforcer

<OOC: The timeline is excellent. See my other posts! I'm just happy to be anywhere where RPing is a possibility. (To say nothing of the amount of talent in this player base.) I've seen them all, ladies and gentlemen. AO is not UO, not by long shot!
    I'm happy to be here. Let's have fun, create some stories. Maybe AO can be everything I'm looking for in an MMORPG. I'm betting on myself, and all of us, to make it so.

Thanks!>

Re: Neutrals

Originally posted by Kirrana
    I have an issue with the neutrals or rather the lack of them in the time line. Now I understand before an FC AO had detailed backgrounds on events such as the ICC contract which game Omni-Tek the right to Rubi-Ki. There was a lot of other stuff to, and while I have not seem it posted a lot of people claimed the neutrals where allowed to come to Rubi-Ki as traders, or merchants. Other people have claimed that the neutrals where in fact the orginal people of the planet, but if Omni-Tek really did not find any sight of life on Rubi-Ki this would not be the case.

It maybe that the neutrals are just a group of people that are neither clan nor Omni. People who have given up both ways of life and dont really care one way or the other.

I would really like to know even thought I am not a neutral, where they come from and how or why did they get there lands. It would also be interesting to give them more depth if they will have a role to play in the game. Perhaps some idea of the neutral structure and some of the main people.

Of course I will understand if you dont reply, as the neutrals could have some hidden past that is part of the up and coming storyline. [OOC give me a wink on IRC if this is the case I will not tell anyone else ]
    Kirrana,

You have a point. There's not enough information about the neutrals in the timeline. The novel does go into a little more detail about what the "neutral life" is like, but only briefly. Besides, you shouldn't have to read the novel to know your history. So I agree with you: the neutrals deserve more! I'll put it on my to-do list, and try to find some way to integrate the information into either the timeline or a separate article on the website.

If you read the short entry in the timeline, that basically covers the early foundation of neutral territory on Rubi-Ka. A lot of colonists -- brought to the planet on board Omni-Tek ships, mostly -- got fed up with the conflict, and wanted to settle down in peace, live off the earth, trade, farm, hunt, explore, and avoid politics and violence.

The neutrals didn't really care who controlled Rubi-Ka as long as they were left alone. Omni-Tek turned a blind eye because they had their hands full with the clans, and because they were already in enough trouble with the ICC as it was. So the neutrals were basically allowed to "occupy" territory without OT interference.

But as time went on, the neutrals were constantly caught in the middle of the conflict, and their ranks diminished as people either returned to Omni-Tek or joined the clans. In times of civil war, their territory was violated by both sides, and although certain neutrals -- traders, for example, or soldiers of fortune -- prospered, others -- like land-owners and farmers -- suffered great losses.

The neutrals have been called opportunists, scavengers, rats, cowards, and traitors. But the fact is that, while a number of neutrals benefit from the conflict between OT and the clans, most now long for an end to OT's lease on Rubi-Ka, and for the foundation of a government controlled neither by the clans nor by OT, but by a democratically elected body.

I hope this helped a bit!

Wink Re: Re: Neutrals

Originally posted by Ragnar
    ...I hope this helped a bit!
    /me smiles all over his face

ha, a bit he says ......

/me takes the printout and pins it on the wall

there, sticky .... ,)

now i have somethin to read when i wake up in the mornin ....

ooc: thanks ,)
    tradeskillz ?

I have a quick comment on the neutral part of the Timeline, principly that the neutrals were made up of people that grew tired of the conflict and left the clans and omni-tek.

If thats the case why can't players do just that and become neutral, why can't they similarly, opt out of the conflict at some stage.

----------------

Another quick point, 120 million dead in the corporate war that raged on approximately 250 planets (or was it systems) and lasted 53 years.

Anybody else think that that death toll is awefully small for such a conflict. We're talking pretty much interstellar war here, at a minimum I'd expect 1.2 billion if not 12 or 120 billion.

Just a little nitpick I know.
    Ye Olde and Original Founding is BACK !

Australian Timezone - RK1

silly me arguing with Ragnar

seems to me that it makes sense that theres not much on the Neutrals in the timeline... We remember the history makers not those that 'opt out'. It wouldn't make sense to see much about them except in things like 'at such and such a time, thousands of neutrals were killed in an omn(or clan) attack on the area around Borealis.

Except for beginning to exist they've done nothing to add to the timeline.

(Also, most clans want a democratically elected govt on RK too )

Re: Re: Neutrals

although certain neutrals -- traders, for example, or soldiers of fortune -- prospered, others -- like land-owners and farmers -- suffered great losses.
    You stated yourself that the idea of soldiers of fortune is incorporated in the story-line. How come than in his e-mail Cz told me that there is no place in story-line for my guild, which is a mercenary organization? Any light on that please?
    Major Shadowolf Marone
    Blade Corp
    "Leading mercenery organization in the Galaxy!"
    Position - CEO
    Rank - Major

Personal quote:
    "Your advertisement could be here"

Click me clanner Scum

Omni is Sweet :P

Joking.

Sol Banking Corporation lands mechanised troops and war-machines on Rubi-Ka. Their objective is to seize control of Omni-Tek's notum operations. Omni-Tek receives unexpected help from the clans in the ensuing and drawn-out ground war.

TruSpace Networks and Sol Banking Corporation military targets and corporate interests on Earth are destroyed by Omni-Tek warships. An estimated six million people are killed. ICC headquarters and installations are left completely unharmed

Don't FUDGE WITH OMNI-TEK

But what I find most ...wowing is.

The last of Sol Banking Corporation's troops on Rubi-Ka are crushed in a coordinated strike by both Omni-Tek and clan forces.

Omni-tek and Clans did work together.
    I have a philosophy

/ooc: I find in the last timeline update the interesting point that the clans were much less helpful in the hunting down of the Dust Brigade after the Black October attack than we were originally lead to believe.

The articles that originally introduced the Black October attack gave the impression that the clans were completely out raged by the atrocity. That the clans did everything they could to help Omni Tek hunt down and eradicate the dust brigade.

The time line gives a different impression of the clan's reaction to the atrocity. It gives the impression that if the CoT disapproved of the attack, they didn't assist in the tracking down of the dust brigade.

“October 07 29466
    One thousand, four hundred and sixty-six Omni-Tek soldiers are massacred in six separate assaults across OT-held territory. Witnesses at four of the sites report seeing commandos wearing crimson uniforms, hoods, and environmental masks. At the same time, insurance-pattern databases in Omni-1 are sabotaged. There is no hope for any of the murdered soldiers.

October 08 29466
    The Council of Truth denies all knowledge of the terrorist acts, and claims to have no information about who carried out the attacks. Omni-Tek states publicly that the Council has lost control over the clans, and cannot be trusted.

October 12 29466
    Omni-Tek strikes back at the clans, destroying civilian installations, crippling transportation, and killing hundreds of clan-members. But the reprisals appear to have little effect on clan morale.”

As you can see, no mention of clan action to eliminate the Dust Brigade from out of their midst. No mention of denouncement of the attack.
    ------------------------------------------------
    General Blyzzard
    Division 9
    Strat Ops
    -----------------------------------------------

RE: Neutrals

The neutrals didn't really care who controlled Rubi-Ka as long as they were left alone. Omni-Tek turned a blind eye because they had their hands full with the clans, and because they were already in enough trouble with the ICC as it was. So the neutrals were basically allowed to "occupy" territory without OT interference.

The neutrals have been called opportunists, scavengers, rats, cowards, and traitors. But the fact is that, while a number of neutrals benefit from the conflict between OT and the clans, most now long for an end to OT's lease on Rubi-Ka, and for the foundation of a government controlled neither by the clans nor by OT, but by a democratically elected body.
    What kinda bit me was the little comment in the time line about neuts first appearing at such and such a time (ok maybe just an over sight being people who say left OT first appeared on Rubi-ka)....as far as I can remember we've existed longer than the clans, longer than omni-tek, and way longer than the ICC. But yes I figure we are the natural step between Omni and the Clans. The people would have historically got so tired of OT the left and where so neut, before going on to become Clan. Or there's those who just came to Rubi-ka to live in peace away from everything and forget about either side and their petty fueding (like myself) and go about preparing themselves for what else is out their *eyeballs a couple of enigma and medusa'* and wonders what his sey sense is telling him else is about ((ooc/ u sure its spelt sey and not psy sense?)).

As for neuts and the story etc hmm, it is hard as we are effectively a collective of individuals, although there are neut organisations like the IRN and Blade Corp, on a whole its just us in the middle watching the attrocities commited by both sides of this petty fight. We've been all curious as to why certain NPC's on the sides have been shooting at us though, are we now a threat? And some have been wondering is it because the anti-matter which was used in the attack against Omni-Ent was provided by neuts...which personally I find very hard to believe as neuts haven't access to let alone superior nanos let alone anti-matter :P Its not even so bad if we are attacked in key locations, like around a "special" Omni or Clan base, but everywhere when both sides claim to support us is laughable. But this might have changed what with the final patch going up soon, and not the same as the test server (we hope).

Our roll in the coming conflict I personally see as a tough one. We will be opressed by both sides, yet our true freedom (something which the Clans mearly aspire to) is something neither faction will be able to take from us, as with our morality too. We know we are right, we have the morality and the conviction to survive this conflict, and to prosper. While the two factions are busy playing who stole my lolly pop over 2ho and MMD, who else is there to watch whats really happening, and to watch, and inform the others of "other" forces at play on our planet....simply put. The Neutrals! No one else is looking around when they are too intent on hurting the other. THAT is our part of the story, and that will be our key to thriving and being noted. Traders and Mercenarys are fine but we don't have those capabilities...being everywhere, and seeing everything....we do :-)

p.s. your timelines great, it'll be very useful for RPing.
    p.p.s great book too
    Major "Nyadach" Prabel
    Neutral and proud of it!

Re: Re: Neutrals

I hope this helped a bit!

This really is what I always have felt beeing Neutral is all about. Thank you
    Bris bris puste meg i nakken
    Det blir kaldt i frakken og kroppen skrike
    kom bris bris, sett meg fri
    Skru på sirenen og gje meg varige mèn

Bris gjer meg roser i kinnet, tar vekk vonde minner
    Bris du har stengt oss inne. Du vinner, du vinner

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12