Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Congratulations Dovve

Clicksaver intercepts the data stream and can cause severe lag on the FC servers when requesting new missions .... not exactly a good thing would you say?

It is a great program though.
    Main Khaitlene - Omni Keeper - RK1
    Khaitlsmule - Omni Engie - RK1
    Galaxia - Retired NT - RIP

Proud Member of the Obsidian Order. We're recruiting!

Not a good thing, no. But I don't think the lag will be all that much greater from the use of Clicksaver. How much information is sent and processed when you request a mission, really? Not very much, I think. And they changed the mission request system some time ago, so that you can only request a mission once every 2 seconds or so.

Oh well... The moment FC bans Clicksaver we'll all be out hunting again
    Vanguard Mharc. Self-equipper extraordinaire no longer. I'm back!

They changed the mission system BECAUSE of Clicksaver. It WAS causing severe lag when others were requesting normal missions. That's why they added the 2 second limit on a new mission.
    Main Khaitlene - Omni Keeper - RK1
    Khaitlsmule - Omni Engie - RK1
    Galaxia - Retired NT - RIP

Proud Member of the Obsidian Order. We're recruiting!

Yeah, I know. That's why I don't think there will be much of a lag issue with Clicksaver (anymore)

lol....i guess this is the new FC official reply to third party tools?

gratz dovve, and thanks for the map!

FC said that it made more lag. I don't know a single person who noticed a improvement when they changed it to a 2 second timer for mission requests and i didn't notice a change either. In fact its only after their change that i started experiencing difficulties with missions disappearing after i accepted them. And now it takes even longer to get them back.

FC has maintained all along that there isn't server side lag anyways so Fc is lying to us 1 way or another either way Galaxia FC claims clicksaver USED to cause lag they fixed it so it can't anymore now give MORB his billboard.

and Mharc if FC bans clicksaver we'll be out hunting all right hunting for a new game to play. Neocron came out on tuesday and the only thing that has stopped me from starting up on it is the lack of download options. AC2 and SWG are out soon aren't they?? And shattered Galaxy and PV are both back in betas and coming out again soon.
    Last edited by Intrepid; Nov 15th, 2002 at 19:15:42.
    engie + ghetto crowd control + no healing + lowest hp + worst evades + bot who is never around. = worst prof in game

Bump for engie fix

Ah, yes, other MMORPGs....
    I tried Neocron beta... didn't appeal to me. Very unintuitive interface. Maybe it's better in retail, I don't know.
    Tried AC2 beta too. Looks great, but I don't like the gameplay, somehow.

Maybe it's because AO is my first MMORPG. I've not even come close to spending 10% of the time I spent on AO on any other game ever (except, perhaps, Minesweeper ), so it might very well be possible that I'm lost forever for other games

thanks everyone :)) it does feel good, its been really fun to make something that so much of the community finds usefull.

*big hugs for everyone*

:))

Gratz and thanks for a great addition
    . : Oldskule - 87 Martial Artist RK1 Kung Fu Fighter! : .

. : Ternak - 112 Soldier RK1 *Dead* : .

. : Jenerik - 8 Enforcer RK1 Just another generic Enforcer : .

Dovve..useful? I find it more than useful, I find it a 'must have'..Your map is quite simply the best thing. Just the right blend of esthetics, usefulness, info and leaving some sense of adventure..truly a masterpiece
    /prostrate
    "They have some pretty wierd things in Tir"
    "Yeah, they're called clanners"

Ask any fixer, any real fixer. It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile; winning's winning.

Originally posted by Serraglio
    Dovve..useful? I find it more than useful, I find it a 'must have'..Your map is quite simply the best thing. Just the right blend of esthetics, usefulness, info and leaving some sense of adventure..truly a masterpiece
    /prostrate
    Totally agree, MAD PROPS to Dovve for "kickbehind" map and skin

/prostrate

Clicksaver intercepts the data stream and can cause severe lag on the FC servers when requesting new missions .... not exactly a good thing would you say?
    Not as much as 14.6 did .

Well, Funcom basically is a tiny bit disturbed by Clicksaver, mostly because of server load from constant rapid mission generation (which caused them to patch to limit mission generation speed), but so far isn't actively hostile to it.

It is, however, a violation of the EULA (indirectly, slightly), as the EULA requires you to obey the 'Rules of Conduct' posted on the Funcom website, which includes:

9. You will not attempt to interfere with, hack into, or decipher any transmissions to or from the servers running Anarchy. You are however allowed to use status pages provided by Funcom.

In short, any program that 'hooks' into AO to read the packet stream is a violation. No matter what it does.

Right now, Funcom doesn't seem to 'mind' Clicksaver.

Should they get a new lawyer, or a new CEO, or some other employee change happens in the chain of command, this could change overnight.

Unlikely, but possible. Still, at least Funcom is far better about this sort of thing than Verant.

dovve's map = the best !
    Supersoly lvl 220 Atrox Enforcer
    Fearthis lvl 200 Opi MA
    Tehsoly lvl 60 Atrox Enforcer

and a lvl 160+ sold...

Legion

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12