Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why arent players all hyped about notum wars?

I am looking forward to it, but am not "OMG OMG, an EP, OMG, when do I get it?!!".

I think mining equipment as about as much 'real content' as you can get.. same with assualt vehicles (no, the OT-Gunship is not an assualt vehicle, it is very difficult to equip and will get you killed).

I would like Omni-ent to be made into a real city (no idiot buys a small house in the middle of a giant city, make it a comercial area! I wanted to have dinner then watch a tournament, I want to complain that my nano cloak isn't working to the Dreadlock CS department! I want something put in so RK has actual civilization and culture!) though. Maybe it's too much to ask for.

" I spend much more time in RPG's because they offer more options and interesting things to do than the Shooters. "

Some would argue the exact opposite. This is mostly due to the lack of tactical capability induced by the position-lite requirements of the M in front of MORPG. By using 'towers' and other 'PvP beacons' a position-lite game might involve radial tactics. It might work out. We will see. If it does, it could be a lot of fun. And if it can be done at all levels (with relatively cheap towers for newbs out in Tir county) then it could work for just about anyone at any level to set up their little PvP game out in the wilderness. Its not the role-playing dream of story driven combat, but it is, at least, a potential for motivated combat.

Story driven combat can be done and should, and requires additional pVp mission-based mechanics.

I still don't 'get' it...

What IS the motivation for controlling land under the au****es of 'notum mining'? We don't actually get any NOTUM do we? Does our bank account grow from mining notum? I don't think so. So what precicely IS our return on invested capital? I understand we get bufs including exp bufs BUT are these bufs REALLY a good return on the time and effort to buy, build and defend towers? If I spent the same effort doing missions for exp and loot wouldn't I end up with MORE exp and MORE credits?

Or, as I suspect, is this whole thing a way to slow down leveling and suck credits out of the game? If I RP my trader correctly I will need to understand what my return on invested capital is...and right now I just do NOT understand.

Originally posted by TreeTrunk
    " I spend much more time in RPG's because they offer more options and interesting things to do than the Shooters. "

Some would argue the exact opposite. This is mostly due to the lack of tactical capability induced by the position-lite requirements of the M in front of MORPG. By using 'towers' and other 'PvP beacons' a position-lite game might involve radial tactics. It might work out. We will see. If it does, it could be a lot of fun. And if it can be done at all levels (with relatively cheap towers for newbs out in Tir county) then it could work for just about anyone at any level to set up their little PvP game out in the wilderness. Its not the role-playing dream of story driven combat, but it is, at least, a potential for motivated combat.

Story driven combat can be done and should, and requires additional pVp mission-based mechanics.

As I understand it from the press and interviews, the main goal of tower control is to provide bonuses to organization members, including tactical defense and statistical gains when in the region.

I don't think there is any 'accumulated' output, thought there may be and I just didn't read about it anywhere.

Let me ask this another way...

So what exactly do these towers have to do with 'notum mining'?
    Is the 'notum mining' part ONLY RP? We don't really mine notum nor do we 'sell' it to OT for credits right? Could it as easily be said that this is just a Land Grab War?

And nobody has yet offered any explanation as to why this has anything to do with OT vs. Clan. In a grab for land won't fellow Clan or fellow Omni be JUST as much a competitor? And hence an adversary?

As I understand it from the press and interviews, the main goal of tower control is to provide bonuses to organization members, including tactical defense and statistical gains when in the region.

I don't think there is any 'accumulated' output, thought there may be and I just didn't read about it anywhere.

This is very frustrating. I played AO quite a bit and the only role-players I were able to meet were people role-playing sex in nightclubs.

Where is everybody?
    That's what RP in AO is. Just read the RP forum, gag, then go out to 2ho/mmd and blast some clanners!

I have this feeling they tried to make the game not suck at the beginning but just gave up.

1. If the GMs have any kind of event, roleplay or whatever, everyone swarms in that zone and the sheer load (I dont care what Gaute says its not our computers, its the servers!!!), the server crashes due to load. They might just be limited by the engine they have right now, I'm sure they'd love to do all this cool stuff but when more than a handful of people enter a single area in AO, it's not pretty. But in other games its fine.

2. On their list of things they gave up on, I can't find the link anymore, maybe it's removed... It said they wanted a way for people to level up without every having to kill anything, but they gave up on it. Funny that SWG promises to add this, so obviously it's an achievable goal.

Just accept AO for what it is and take it or leave it. They're not going to fix it.

Originally posted by Ratty
    Funny that SWG promises to add this, so obviously it's an achievable goal.
    important note, future tense, they dont have it yet please dont use examples that dont exist yet, and might not. Things have already been removed from SWG.

hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

Next Few Days

Well,

The next few days should be a *very* intresting time in the life (or death) of AO.

I for one think the game has become a Have vs. Have NOTS world and new players will not stay when they realize they will NEVER be albe to compete with the old guard. The question becomes this..is NW to keep old players or to get new players? News Flash: Old players 1k token boards, uber tweaked...game balanced for them = New players not staying...game dying.

NW only makes that more obvious and further seperates the two factions...not Clan vs Omni...

But New vs. Old

Old = Pays the Bills (kinda)
    New= Future

Tough spot

With the delay of SL it's all over now but the crying

Content that I cannot play/see/access is not content! (not me really, but people)

why I am thinking of leaving

These aren't whines or threats, just some of the motivating factors that are making me considering cancelling.

1. PVP focus. I prefer solo missions, FC is putting an increasing amount of effort into making PVP important. Really, I am not interested in getting killed by someone with more time, money and uber items that I. Its not a battle of skill, but investment, and contacts. If I could kill someone I doubt I would find much pleasure in doing so.

2. Pet Pathing. I prefer the pet classes, but FC seems unable to fix some basic issues. It concerns me because I dont think FC is incompetant, but rather that they are more interested in doing other things.

3. Lack of input. I feel FC is not allowing users to customize the world sufficiently. They take some ideas from the forums, and in talking to some players, but really, the only place where you can can have real input that others might respond to is these forums. Even apartments suck. If FC allowed player owned cities, where you could buy buildings, additional levels and features that others could see externally, It might be more interesting. If you could write graphitti on a wall it and others could see it, it would be more interesting.

4. Boring gameplay. Many good ideas have been floating around how to make the game more interesting. There has been some good work done on quests, but really, automatically generated content ammounts to find a single object, target it, sometimes pick it up, sometimes take it places. We all have played games involving many more steps to complete a mission.

5. FC is working on other games. When Miitgengard was cancelled, i felt good, that FC was trying to make AO work. But now I hear that they have people working on a second project, I feel that sooner or later more and more resources will be spent getting the new game to work, rather than making the old one work.

6. Ignoring testers. whenever there is a new patch, there is a chorus of, we found that in the test server. The testers, paid and unpaid are your first line of defence to keep people playing the game. Each bug that is let out into the live server further increases the distrust of the player base. o

7. pour attitude toward customer support. I pitty the people who moderate these forums, because forums are self help customer service. the Ark program is self help customer service. most times you only hear silence from FC in the forums, and the common answer with the arks is "sorry, i can't help you."

8. Events. There seems to be few of them that most people can benefit from, so the game is one long experience of missions, hunting and chatting. There is not much going on in the game, and I cant think of anything except santa leets and pumpkinheads that I am excited about. If on the other hand if there were regular events, It would distract me alot on how boring it is to just complete acg material.

9. It does not seem that FC designers spend much time actually playing the game. It would make a world of difference for me to know that each FC employee had characters that they have to advance through the game. If they had to do so, and without any special help, it would make me feel much better about the game. I would love to see "PLAYERNAME (DESIGNER)" above people's heads, especially if they were joining people in normal missions, and were restricted to player available options.

10. What is the direction of AO? FC is tight lipped about many things that are planned for the game. The way the booster pack was handled made me thing that they realized the player base is growing increasingly annoyed, and needed something to compete against SWG. So they pulled a bunch of content together so they can have a new box for the shelves for christmas. That said, I want to point out that this is my opinion, and my opinion is that the decision was made for business and real world considerations, rather than for the good of the player base, and responding to what your customers want. It seems the focus moved to getting new customers rather than keeping old ones happy. Remember the proverb about birds in hands and bushes.

Anyway, My friends have already noticed that I am playing much less, if I don't respond, I may have just walked away.
    PLEASE, give use a simple YES or no answer as to whether or not the CoH chests can be opened

I am very hyped up about NW. As are most the poeple I know, and that includes most my guild (which is the 13th largest in the game, so yea a LOT of people are hyped about it).
    http://community.anarchy-online.com/...1/name/xaielao
    "Yea, I've got your information.. you got my money?"
    Proud member of 3305 Local
    A non-GA Fixer, and pround of it!

Fergus ~ 27 Soldier (after wipe) ~ Test
    "No escaping pain! You belong to me.." Megadeath-Skin o' my Teeth

Fion ~ 25 Opi MA (after wipe) ~ Test
    "Woh look at that MOB! Think I can take it? *SMACK* OUCH!"

As you should be..

Fion,

No joke, you and your top level guild should be very happy. I think this "booster" will add some fun gameplay for you and your guild! I don't think the quesion (for me at least) was if the booster would add content for longtime/Oldguard players, the question is will this "Booster" do anything to *grow* the community in the longterm and my opinion is no just the oppsite.

The gap gets wider and wider. The cost of time to have realize any of the fun content just takes too much of a investment. The depth does not match the time. Like or hate EQ I really had some fun on the quest. One I kinda remember is outside Thurg, I had to get the collar of control from this wolf, ...and put it on this dragon looking beast, at which point a giant would try to run away....(details old in my mind now but fun) I remember sneaking into the cave with my little druid to put the collar on the dragonthing.....and sprinting out...yelling for my friends to make sure they snared the giant if he spawned prior to me getting there...then the giant spawns and makes a break for the hills....we chase him down...and finally I get my uber pants. ..hehe well the point, story quest are 100X better than this camp the uber mob for days for drop that we now have...only those with numerous hours to waste a game can play this game and enjoy/see/know about it's content. I was a casual player in EQ but got to do everything I wanted and even thought the treadmill was brutal I had access to most things and if I chose I had many..many..quest to go after...AO was supposed to be the next great game, instead it became this narrow game made for the 5%ters....nothing wrong with the 5 % ters except there are only 5%

Hence the game fades away..as that 5% is plucked away one by one....

A few things:

Im starting to consider myself to be an growing contributer to the AO universe. Beyond noob status and not yet "uber" but getting there, gaining connections through my guild and others, and slowly building up a solid community of friends around me.

Starting tongiht Ill be going away for the week and then, upon my return, buying NW and installing it before I even login again. Im very excited about whats to come but I also see how there is soo soo much more room in this game for content that everyone can enjoy and content that is readily available to everyone. Strangely enough thats why one of the things Im most excited about is the improved graphcis...its something Ill be able to see right away.

I would love to see more DEV action in the suggestions part of the forum, just so we dont keep on beleiving that we are only really talking to ourselves..and the idea that the DEV's explain to us their experience playing AO and their mindset while creating it is also of equal importance. No, they dont have to tell us any secrets...just how they feel about the current direction of AO and perhaps a few things they would like to see from the game, their future design, and our parts as RP'ers and "citizens" or Rubi-ka.
    -Sardunos-
    Nano-Technician

Squad Commander: The Forsaken

-Rotempiel-
    Shade
    (lvl 4)

First, to Animosity: outstanding list. Couldn't have said it better in any other way.

But, I think Sardunos sums up my biggest complaint, and what I think is absolutely decimating the player base: lack of transparency and direction.

I only started playing in September, but look at the series of events for the Funcom staff:

1. Cosmik "disappears", and Cz is left all by himself to tend to thousands of people ranting about the game, with no help at all. As a result, thousands of players' questions and concerns go unanswered, and those players end up cancelling and going elsewhere. The players get:

No direction from Funcom management.

2. Ragnar Tornquist leaves, and is no longer assisting Funcom. At the same time, the Funcom "events" team mysteriously disappears from the AO Live Team page.

We find out about the former from Mr. Tornquist's weblog, and still haven't been told the reason for the latter.

3. Tying into the above, Funcom releases the almost exclusively PvP "booster pack", and, when pressed by the RPers in the community as to what features, if any, will benefit us, we get:

No direction from Funcom management.

The first thing they teach you in economics after supply and demand (and elasticity...yuck) is that markets function most effectively and efficiently when there is complete disclosure of all relevant information among market participants. The market participants in this case are Funcom, on one end, the player base on the other, and relatively helpless victims like the ARKs, devs and Cz who get constantly harassed and effectively bear all of the anguish from players lashing out at Funcom management.

If you are short on staff, tell us. If you have a direction for this game - it's either a MMORPG or its a MMOG - tell us. Heck, if you're swamped and stumped as to what you should do, just say something.

You would find that the player base would be a lot more understanding, sympathetic and, as a result, helpful, if you started communicating what it is that's going in that sealed building in Oslo.

Whatever the reason

Mr. Tornquist seems to be a *SUPER* stand up individual. The post at his website are respectful of the game and people..

Alex takes my ideas and brings them one step further in the correct direction.

And I also find myself wondering if the changing of the guard over at Funcom...i.e. the new President and Ceo Trond Arne Aas taking command, is the reason for some of these changes we have been seeing. Those of us who understand business and understand marketing know just how much of a 180 from the original business model this can have. Look at Macs and Osx. Usability and a transparent OS forsaken for bells and whistles that noone else seemed to want.

Unfortunately nowhere is Mr. Aas's business experience do I see software or game development:

-Managing Director of E-Commerce Services, Lycos Europe

-VP of Branded Services, Spray NV

-Founder and CEO, MassMarket and Norsk Familie Økonomi, sold to Spray NV

-Engagement Manager, international management consulting firm McKinsey & Company

Im just hopeing that the, seemingly new, lack of RP support in AO is not due to one mans business vision that does not take into account the feelings and intuitions of the people whome actually play the game.

(He writes as he glances over at his MAC proudly still running OS9.)

In fact...I would think that since AO is bringing in most of the business for FC at the moment that it would be dutifull of the new CEO to issue a statement outlining his vision for the future of this game.
    -Sardunos-
    Nano-Technician

Squad Commander: The Forsaken

-Rotempiel-
    Shade
    (lvl 4)

I think that if you took a poll asking people whether they'd rather 1) cyber in Baboon's or 2) Set up towers and blow stuff up you'd get a lot more 2 responses than 1s.

Regarding Cosmik's disappearance: Cz alone is a lot more active on the forums than Cosmik and Cz combined were. I prefer the current state of affairs.

P.S. Animosity, I love that "business and real world considerations." Any business (like Funcom) isn't going to last very long without taking the "real world" into account. Hard to believe that we can't just make money because we want to, but regrettably true.

Originally posted by Shubalubdub
    I think that if you took a poll asking people whether they'd rather 1) cyber in Baboon's or 2) Set up towers and blow stuff up you'd get a lot more 2 responses than 1s.
    lmao!
    Tactfully said as usual.

I expect it to be as messed up as when AO was released.

Correct !

well yes all those stuf will be great but what? exp 4 mill to ding u cant do it alone on single mish oh well u can but will take you 2 days for one ding.

levle 121 doc need like 4.7 something million exp
    team mish boring
    he meant about 50,0000 people isnt for you tis for funcom

more players = more payments

i hate those demon pets
    make an mp that has angel guardians or something
    biofreaks sound annoying i always turn my speakers off when im at areas with them

l;anguage translation make a way where people have settings
    so the system wuld translate french to english or so on so taht teyhre wuldnt be people goin in team mish and u scream at them and they say ghurf,woslsdjgfj wiw iw iw wi?

make new professions more faces more breeds
    reduce level up exp requirements
    levle 100-200 so much exp needed to ding =(
    more hunting spots for exp or loot
    i hate goin in an area to hunt levle 19's and find elvle 50's like duhh how can u kill levle 50's at level 17

outdoor huntings are fun trust me!
    my levle 121 doctor goes out hunting mobs for monster parts and hey i have fun and even some people join me
    but some havent been bored with the crazy missions that take so long and boring

im ok with your exp loss but at least let exp be easy at least a bit easy at levle 100-200 awwwww comon

well anyways ill be here for not much longer cause im gonna go get a new MMORPG for christmas though if they fix this thing mebe ill stay to at least levle up my 94 M.A and 121 doc to 200

I want angel guardians and also outdoor hunting like duhh whyd funcom mix levle 9 mobs with levle 140's =( noone goes places cause of this
    sure there are some great sites but.... if thers a elvel 140 mob guarding it i cant even take a glimpse of it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast