Thread: Please let us all know just what the design intent of Unique is.

Please let us all know just what the design intent of Unique is.

[Reposting this from another thread that was in the 14.6 temporary forum, which is no longer linked.]

Since 14.6 went live, I've logged in to just to have a quick look. I refused to zone when I did, since I like my stuff organized and hate having to fix it up when it gets out of order. I am also refusing to touch bags in my bank that I might remotely have any Unique-tagged item in them. It is completely full of many things that I store for the guild I am president of, stuff that is registered in an external database as available to guild members, and I absolutely do not want to risk losing items.

Cz, your communication has been great, and you've held up really well under pressure. One thing a great many of us have been missing in that communication, however, is a really clear statement on just what the intent is on the Unique tag. Why does it exist at all? Why does it exist on items like Flurry of Blows and Bracers, items which have other mechanisms to prevent the use of more than one at a time, such as skill locks or having only one location where they can be equipped? Why does it exist on things like Dodga/Alvin parts? (I, personally, am ok with it on Dodga/Alvin parts, but I would still like to know the reason why it exists.) Why are processes that result in the creation of a second unique item which will just _vanish_ even allowed to complete, likely wiping away quite a lot of time involved in gathering the starting items involved, instead of being prevented from happening at all? (On a somewhat related note, why does a 12 credit map not vanish when you try to upload it if you already have it, but a 250,000 credit nanocrystal will? Please don't take this as a request to make the map disappear ... I think my implication is clear.)

In the absence of a guild item bank, the only way for us to keep items for sharing among the guild is to store in individual banks, sometimes storing more than one "Unique" item like Bracers or Flurry of Blows. I infer that it is not your intent to stop the sharing/trading of these items among players, because you already have a mechanism to block that -- Nodrop.

Please, we are desperate for some answers about this. Several people are not even playing right now because of the uniques issue, and others that have played are upset about items they have lost. Reports are they've lost even non-unique items because of bank space issues.

And as I write this I just got word from one of my guild members that he has quit because of how unhappy he is with the patch.
    Bima, Golly, Whatsamatta, Laslingis and an army of sub-100 alts

I'd love to hear an official response to this as well.

If they are intending on stopping people from farming. Except that the items they choose to make unique don't make a lot of sense. Unfinished coffee machines are unique, but finished ones are not. I don't think MA attacks are unique anymore, are they?

And right now it's pretty easy to get around, you can just put them in the bank (just not in bags). Maybe they will fix that later?

(On a somewhat related note, why does a 12 credit map not vanish when you try to upload it if you already have it, but a 250,000 credit nanocrystal will? Please don't take this as a request to make the map disappear ... I think my implication is clear.) "

--end quote

I've had this happen to me also.. blew a nice doc lvl 175ish doc nano this way. Presto gone. POOF.

Thanks so ever much.
    Elbo - LVL 220 Top of the line: Supreme Creator Engineer

Making 5 Gem Saba Bracers! Give tell in game!
    Crat - LVL 209! Doc - LVL 170,MA - LVL 106,Fixer - LVL 103,Keeper - LVL 140,, MP - LVL 109, Shade - LVL 165
    QFT: 1800+. EE: 2400+. ME: 2400+. Chem: 1800+ WS: 1900+. Psychology: 1800 Pharm: 1800

Making QL300 AI Armor and Weapons!

You ever plat the CCG Overpower? Some cards were OPD. That means one per deck. They were really rare and powercards. So they were sought after of course. That is the intent. To make sure you dont have too many powerful stuff. Mostly it is also to help prevent camping although we all know were that is not true.

Unique because high demand or high damand because Unique?
    . : Oldskule - 87 Martial Artist RK1 Kung Fu Fighter! : .

. : Ternak - 112 Soldier RK1 *Dead* : .

. : Jenerik - 8 Enforcer RK1 Just another generic Enforcer : .

hehe, you might want to send that info to FunCom.

Flurry of Blows, bought in STORES, UNIQUE and not very high powered.

NanoProgramming interface, Bought in stores, and I can see where 6 of these with their WHOPPING 2NP boost for a total of 12 points could break the game. hehehehe

NoDrop Bracers, with Slot REQS like LeftWrist. Ok, If you already have it and cant drop it, then what? You cant wear two of them. They ADDED the UNIQUE tag at the same time they made them SLOT SPECIFIC. Bahahahahah Overkill. Like I stated in another thread, bracers can be used to turn into INGOTS for TRADESKILL, require a pretty high skill for a non TRADESMAN, thus I have to store until I can Implant without wasting alot of points. With Unique TAG this was tough, with the new Unique change, its STUPID.

IQ rings, this one does fit your pattern for Uniques.

Defense rings , rings of Luck. Both of these needs to be Unique, Are they now? One used to be Droppable, is it now?
    Last edited by GreyBear; Nov 14th, 2002 at 20:57:24.

I totally agree here. There are legitimate, and important, reasons to have multiple instances of all these items that are unique. Funcom seems to just have completely forgotten the social and tradeskills aspects of items.

A completely unthoughtout action. Coupled with the random destruction of duplicates that they've implemented, earnes yet another 100% brainless award.
    Last edited by Wraith God; Nov 14th, 2002 at 21:10:24.

im still wondering why Wen Wens, and of all things, side changer forms are unique... it makes no sense???

as for the bank thing... i had a full bank with no room left to put in anything... i tried to take out a bag and took out one i had 5 Wen Wens in it... at first i thought that the 5 Wen Wens that got put back in to my bank deleted or took the place of 5 bags, since it was origionally full... but once i removed all the uniques and reorganized it, i realized that all my bags were there... nothing was missing (or at least nothing i noticed)... so i think that it just stretched the bank to fit the uniques it put back in the bank... so now after many hours of reorganizing, i have a new & improved unique free bank with no problems...

the question i have now is, what to do with uniques?

i mean, if i put a unique in a bag and put it in my bank, then remove that bag from my bank it removes the unique from the bag and puts it back in my bank messing up/reorganizing everything... this happens even if its the only unique of that kind that i own... why does it do this? i would understand it doing that if i have one of that same unique in my pack but i dont... so there is no reason for it to do that... so now i have a forth of my bank devoted to the few uniques i have left... cos they cant be put in a bag... gawd they take up so much room not being in a bag...

soooo

i deleted about 5 cloaking devices and gave a bunch away, deleted tons of ql 20-120 unique bracers that i had (its odd that half of all bracers are unique and other half are not) only keeping a few i can use, a few quest items (i was planning on keeping incase i would need them someday) and some other verious uniques i could always get again easily... all in all, the new rules that have be placed on uniques in banks is just sad

so after 6 hours of reorganizing, selling,and deleting stuff, my bank is working as intended...
    JapellaZ
    Bureaucrat

'If you think you finally found the perfect light... i hope it's true' -Belly

Bumping for a reply to this important issue.

Epoz

Well, we do know the intent of the UNIQUE tag. It's supposed to mean you can only own 1 of this item. That much is clear enough even if that's not what it currently does).

The real question is why items are given this tag. That's what we need an explanaion for, because I don't think anyone here can figure it out in most cases.

Flurry Of Blows - why? Cloaking Device - why? Wen-Wen - why?

I could go on.

Stuff like quest rewards and special boss loot, I can understand these being flagged in this way, but most of the rest?
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

What I hate is that I'm wearing title lvl 3 bracers right now..at lvl 97..and I'm finding title lvl 4 bracers..that I can wear in 3 lvls, but just have to delete them..cause of the unique tag. These bracers only pop up rarely in missions..and I think it's cruel to have to delete them..instead of being able to save them for a few levels.

bump to remove unique tag from FoB and wen wen's
    • RK2: Dyna2 Enfo Dyna18 NT Dyna666 Keeper Dyna4000 Fixer Dyna27012 Crat
    • RK-Test: Dyna0002 Meta-Physicist Dyna90210 Fixer ( 05-02-2003)
    • Check my QL200 Enforcer implant designs at Auno.org: 1HE 2HE 2HB
    • Best custom map: Raiko's Map (based on Dovve's AO Enhancements)
    • Best custom skin: Notum DovveTech HUD upgrade (based on Dovve's AO Enhancements)

Omni-Tek is your friend!
    Elnertz: "I spend all my time making all the loot mine, all because there is no ****ing storyline!"

Well, it finally happened.

I took a bag out of my bank that I did not expect had any uniques in it, fortunately on Bima who did not have a totally full bank.

I was wrong, it had a bracer in it.

So now my meticulously organized bank is in complete disarray. I expect to spend the next 20 minutes or more of time that I could be actually playing instead resorting my bank.

On a hotel dialup at $0.10/minute. Whee.

Hey, can I get xp for organizing my bank? That might make up for it.

bump for an important issue.
    Your remains have not been reconstructed yet...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Hampsta0101 - Clan Fixer

Even a "I can't give an official answer yet guys, I'll find out and let you know." would be nice.

...back on top...

I can't really think of any other reason than to prevent exploits related to unbalances if people put more than one of certain items on their chars.

I think it should be possible to implement a better solution, becuase of the issues this is causing with bank inventories, and having to delete lower QL bracers you are wearing if you want to pick up a better version from a corpse or chest.
    Bret 'Bothead' Bannister
    Member of Rising Phoenix

Cz, any chance of a reply?

Nothin' yet, huh?

/G13
    pirates. with lasers.
    Are you having an argument on the internet, again?

Gene13 - on a space odyssey since 2001
    XXX - N

Some day your ship will come in, but you will be at the airport.

bumping for response