Thread: Open A Linux Port!!!!

Open A Linux Port!!!!

Here's a suggestion for you... OPEN A LINUX PORT!

copied from a post at linuxgames.com:

"It could be said that the reason UT far outsold Quake 3 was BECAUSE of Linux. Not that Q3 didn't sell as well as UT for Windows....... but (probably) because Linux sales were added to the Windows tally."

Coincidence? Possibly. However UT DID outsell Q3 and Q3 didn't support linux users. Eh, whatever.

Fact be known I've been playing AO for almost a year now and probably will have to cancel my account very soon b/c notsoFunCom decided not to support Linux (I'm switching to Linux this week).

Hate to tell you, FC but there are THOUSANDS of linux users in the US alone! And guess what! Everyday the support for Linux gets better and our numbers are growing. The future is Linux, get used to it and support us or lose out on alot more revenue!

SUPPORT LINUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hatchet

Dude, whatchu smokin? Quake 3 Linux was released at the same time as the Windows version, I own a copy. The difference between the two was that epic games *SMARTLY* included Linux support right out of the box, we just had to download some files to get it to work.

Besides, UT friggin rAwkED over quake3. The physics in UT are just.....Unreal. Hehe folks disagreed with me on this for months until ID admitted there was a mathematical error in Q3's physics engine.

Would have been nice if UT2003 had the exact same 'feel' as UT did.

Oh wait, this is the AO boards....Nerf Traders or something

*grumbles and goes back to UT2003*
    Nanomage: The OTHER other white meat

I'd actually appreciate an OSX or Linux port myself=/

But if it comes between that and adding more content, then I'd take the content anyway.

Hate to tell you, FC but there are THOUSANDS of linux users in the US alone!

Ooooo, thousands!!!
    And that would be compared to the MILLIONS of Windows users then.
    A whole new can of worms and potential problems just for a few thousand Linux users who would not all be playing AO.

The future is Linux, get used to it and support us or lose out on alot more revenue!

Once Linux gets into double figures with respect to percentage of worldwide desktop OS users then I think people may start taking the OS seriously.
    As they are still very much a minority software houses cannot be expected to port something over just for a potential few more sales.
    Oh and please don't tell me that you honestly think that within three years the defacto home and desktop OS will be Linux and not Windows - unless they can gain around 80% of all home & desktop users which let us be honest is unlikely.

It could be said that the reason UT far outsold Quake 3 was BECAUSE of Linux. Not that Q3 didn't sell as well as UT for Windows....... but (probably) because Linux sales were added to the Windows tally

It could also be said that UT was a better game than Quake 3
    It could also be said that more people pirated Quake3 thus didn't need to purchase it.
    It could also be said that there weren't as many copies of Quake 3 available to buy as there were copies of UT.
    Awful lot of "could" and "what if" there.

Would love to see AO supported under Linux.

Right now FC dont have the resources i guess, but maybe sometimes in the future. I see more and more Linux users out there.
    | Evilbaffle - 220 Tra | Dominixe - 210 Doc | Maram - 207 Eng | Juling - 160 Enf |
    | Yumn - 169 NT | Niemo - 118 MP | Lucine - 185 Agent | Incision - 70 Shade |

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.- Herm Albright

Although I'd love to see AO ported to Linux, by the time FC makes a "stable" port.. SWG will be *old* news, and people won't even remember AO.
    Waithe 133 Enforcer (my new main character)
    Nediar 180 Nano-Technician (boring. semi-retired)
    Uberned 127 Meta-Physicist (retired. pet pathing is "teh sux")

Nediar @ level 171

I'm a Linux user myself, and as much as I'd like to see AO run on Linux, (Hey, FC even considered it at one point, but that was dropped ages ago) in reality it isn't likey to happen.

I'd rather see AO on OSX anyway, even as a Linux user. Planning on getting a tiBook or something in the near future.
    Glarawyn L220 OT Adventurer
    It's good to be furry.
    ----
    Lilredhot L220 OT Enforcer
    Don't mind me, I tank without a helmet.
    ----
    Gunslinger19 L150 OT Soldier
    There's a word for people who think everyone's out to get them: perceptive.

Bump for AO on OS-X... my school has a very well deployed wifi network, and playing AO on my Powerbook would make some of the lectures FAR more bearable...
    Gunned down the young. Now old, crotchety, and back.

Talking

Linux doesn't belong on the desktop.

/Puus