Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single vs team missions?

Single vs team missions?

I have 1 simple question.

Why in hell do single mission booths exist?

Have you tryed doing solo missions, anyone there at FC? Holy ****, do you guys even test the patches before they come out? IMO I doubt you tested this patch cause, damn!, solo missions, forget about it. Unless your a fixer with MK4 you wont be doing solo missions anymore!

I do about fifty-fifty Team missions / Solo Missions with my Enforcer.

And my MA pretty much only solo's since throwing a monster at him is almost the same as putting a frog in a blender.

Both work fine for me.
    Then again, I'm only around level 50 with both of them.
    Alex "Cado" Portello - Atrox Enforcer
    Lakisha "Sheelai" Thompon - Solitus Doctor
    Al "Asdur" Orender - Solitus Martial Artist

I have no nose .. I peeked on Ani while she took a shower!

Today's patch effectivly removed Mob pets from single player missions - they only show up if the Mob is attacked by more than one person.

I haven't tried yet, but this should make single player missions viable again.

yes you can solo again now

not that it helps any with the pathetic xp and rewards you can gain while soloing but at least it is still available as an option again
    sept 03 - the day ao was keeled by sl.

gone now. byebye.

IMO they should add bosses to single player missions, not everyone has time to find a group. Those with limited play time would like to kill bosses as well.

Doing a single mission without a boss is kinda a let down at end. Put bosses in single missions and make it so they only drop 1 piece of boss loot.

That would help players with a limited time to play or those who would rather solo.

Thanks
    Sepaku
    106 Atrox Fixer
    "The Ghetto Noobie Trox Fixer"

Prefer new method of selecting missions

I like the idea of being able to solo missions with bosses. That would be cool, and would be an interesting challenge for the solo player. Hmm, wonder if there is a way to do it to break out of the monotony of solo missions.

FC seems intent on making pvp and team pvp the crowning glory of life on Rubi Ka. It kind of makes sence, any 2bit company out there can make an effectively solo game. so the presupposition is that we are here to interact, not play solo.

Personally, i prefer solo missions, and would like to be able to do team missions solo. to be honest, its the variety rather than the lewt i am looking for. After hundreds of missions, you begin to see rather predicable patters, we all know where the targets are hiding.

I would like to see the team / solo changed from a mission booth to a slider. that way a team could chose if they wanted a boss or not. Also, adding more variety would then not have to be duplicated for both team and solo missions. If you check in the solo and team missions there seems to be stuff that is hinted at, but not yet implimented, such as second levels, moving overhead containers. I believe FC has something in their coding sleves, and i look forward to implimentation.

The team / solo difference is really just selecting the length of your mission. I would like to see the mission length, bosses, or mulitple bosses, or other surprises. I woudl really like to see a length selecter. all of this balanced with reward.

I like it the way it is, dont make it worse, but if you want to improve it, there is a desire to improve solo stuff
    PLEASE, give use a simple YES or no answer as to whether or not the CoH chests can be opened

I Don't know how hard this would be, but I think they should make all of the Assasination missions have a boss button like the team missions.

I figure they could code it so that for role-play purposes you can only get the boss button if you either sneak the entire mission and make it to the boss or kill everything and make it to the boss.
    I think this would remove the blitz the mission hit the boss button and kill the boss type of runners.

Just make it so unteamed players can pull from the team mission terminal. That simple.

Also give missions an "Intelligence" slider. Middle is normal exp, mobs as they are now, "Stupid" mobs never cast anything but give 25% less exp and 50% less exp reward, and "Smart" mobs use all their nanos and use the right ones for the right things, cooperate, cast pets act just like players, and give 25% more exp and 50% more exp reward.

First of all, and least importantly, let me say there is a way to solo bosses and get boss only loot. I mean, hello, there are 150 Boss mobs and camps scattered around Rubika, go outside for once, maybe you'll see one. My soldier got Power of Three, which he really needed, at one such camp in Wailing Wastes. It's not to hard either to pull the lower lvl mobs until only the boss remains, and at many camps, the boss and his underling mobs are quite seperate in level, so it's easy to train the yellow-orange boss from his grey underlings.

Now MOST importantly, let you reply to the poster.

On test, we loved pet mobs in missions, we thought it made missions a lot more fun, more challenging, livened them up. Wasn't 'I'm fighting a dark orange crat, I'm gonna go make a sandwitch while I beat the shiznit out of it' anymore.

Course those of us who play on test, and TEST patches, and actually get rid of HUNDREDS of bugs every patch so you poor people on live don't have to worry about them, are generally an enthusiastic and enjoyable croud, we look forward to the game, to patches going live, we play there to make this game as good as it can be so generally are very optimistic about things. We aren't jaded people who are spitefull of funcom. We test patches for the enjoyment of helping Funcom make this a great game.

This wasn't the first time we though an inclusion into gameplay was fun and made things more exciting and when the patch hit live, and all the jaded funcom-haters out there rushed the forums and slandered both ours and funcoms name 100 ways to sunday.

Now there are no pets in solo missions, and solo missions are as boring as they always were. You people scream for something to make solo missions more interesting and enjoyable, but as soon as funcom gives you something you ask for, you spit it back in there face and call it a nerf.

Next time maybe you'll be careful cause you know what they say
    "Becareful what you wish for, cause you might get it."
    Last edited by Fion; Nov 15th, 2002 at 02:21:50.
    http://community.anarchy-online.com/...1/name/xaielao
    "Yea, I've got your information.. you got my money?"
    Proud member of 3305 Local
    A non-GA Fixer, and pround of it!

Fergus ~ 27 Soldier (after wipe) ~ Test
    "No escaping pain! You belong to me.." Megadeath-Skin o' my Teeth

Fion ~ 25 Opi MA (after wipe) ~ Test
    "Woh look at that MOB! Think I can take it? *SMACK* OUCH!"

I like the idea about assasination missions, there targets being a boss-type mob that has his own level. I think thats a great idea, cause who does assasination missions right now. I do 'find the object' missions when I'm actually doing the mission, and 'fire slappon' type of missions when I'm blitzing. If the assassination missions had a 'boss' type end mob (usually he is very different looking from the other mobs anyway) that gave just one boss-only loot, not only could lowbies get more money then by solo missions (which really don't pay very well until over lvl100ish), but it would add a bit of veriety to single player missions, which BECAME more fun with bots.. but the whinners put a quick stop to that.

I bump Sepaku's idea. Implement boss button in solo missions also. You created something new for team missions, now continue to do the good work, on some points, with solo missions. I realy miss the boss button in solo missions because Im so used to this now doing all team missions.

PS: I tryed getting together a hunting team for cyborgs todya. 2 people died on the way there and team split up. Hunting isnt working good. Is there any way to enhance this such as warping out there without an eng so teams dont have to split up constantly?

This is just my experience so not judging hunting teams but 3 times this has happened so far. Is it that people just arent used to huntign teams or does FC have to come up with a new approach?

Heh ... Assasination missions ...

Imagine a mission where you have to get in undetected, sneak past a bunch of monsters, locate the Boss, kill him and sneak out again ... the more regular bad guys you kill, the lower the chance for a Mission Token
    Last edited by Cado; Nov 15th, 2002 at 06:48:42.
    Alex "Cado" Portello - Atrox Enforcer
    Lakisha "Sheelai" Thompon - Solitus Doctor
    Al "Asdur" Orender - Solitus Martial Artist

I have no nose .. I peeked on Ani while she took a shower!

About the hunting outdoors thing, I dont care for it. Boss is always solo pullable, so you kill boss then you sit around and wait for him to respawn. Also, outdoors means other ppl which means competition for camps. I finally left EQ because I got sick of the competition for major mobs and camps. I liked that AO had missions where you were the only one in the "dungeon".

It's not like I would leave AO over no bosses at the end of solo missions. Just means I will keep paying ppl for a team real quick to grab a team mission to solo.

I just think choices are what ppl like, the more choices the more game styles you allow , the more ppl that will play a game.

Thanks,

Sepaku
    106 Atrox Fixer

Solo missions : fast, farm tokens and items, low xp.
    Team missions solo : slow, boss loot if you can take him, huge xp.

Ask politely someone that is trading in town, if you can group him two min. Get your 3 team missions. Say thanks. Ungroup and take off.

Oh and no you won't be able to do 90% team missions solo. Cope with that.
    "Donner à des millions une connaissance de l'anglais, c'est les rendre esclaves". (Hind Swarâj, ch. 18)

Originally posted by Sepaku
    IMO they should add bosses to single player missions, not everyone has time to find a group. Those with limited play time would like to kill bosses as well.

Doing a single mission without a boss is kinda a let down at end. Put bosses in single missions and make it so they only drop 1 piece of boss loot.

That would help players with a limited time to play or those who would rather solo.

Thanks
    Sepaku
    106 Atrox Fixer
    "The Ghetto Noobie Trox Fixer"
    If you don't have time to find a team.... do you have time to fight a boss then?

Besides, if they put bosses in single missions, many people would either have to
    a)take lower ql missions to manage to kill the boss
    b)leave boss alone

Now, if you want to solo a boss, team up with someone, get the mission(s) then solo the boss. Not harder than that

I prefer team-missions above solo-missions. Agro is i believe higher in a teammission. The missions are bigger, more loot and a boss in the end. Missions can take up 2-3 hours. In team-missions you have to be careful. Usual more mobs in mainroom, so you have to pull one/two everytime. Solo-missions are boring, to short and almost doable while eating, drinking coffee and all sort of other things. When i team, its always with a friend of mine. We both know what the other person is doing. We can trust eachother with loot (although the loot-message makes this one non-viable now) and we can have fun.
    Sometimes we even make our own rules, like doing this mission and only use medi-kits/treatment-kits and thats it. No nano-healing, which can make missions crazy. Another rule we sometimes use is non-zoning outside mission. we only go outside if mission is done or we died . And yes, we have died a lot because of this. But having fun is more important to us then leveling, I know we are nuts but these sort of small things add something to those missions.

edit:typos
    Last edited by prophet; Nov 15th, 2002 at 09:48:51.

Originally posted by Skybert

If you don't have time to find a team.... do you have time to fight a boss then?

Besides, if they put bosses in single missions, many people would either have to
    a)take lower ql missions to manage to kill the boss
    b)leave boss alone

Now, if you want to solo a boss, team up with someone, get the mission(s) then solo the boss. Not harder than that
    No its not that hard to get someone to team with. But what would it hurt for bosses to be in solo missions? Nothing in my opinion.

As for time to kill boss, takes on a tough fight what 9 10 mins to kill a boss. Takes longer than that to find a group, or someone to team with to grab team missions to solo.

I just thought that it is a good option for people who want it.

Thanks,
    Sepaku
    107 Atrox Fixer

Originally posted by Fion

Now there are no pets in solo missions, and solo missions are as boring as they always were. You people scream for something to make solo missions more interesting and enjoyable, but as soon as funcom gives you something you ask for, you spit it back in there face and call it a nerf.

Next time maybe you'll be careful cause you know what they say, "Becareful what you wish for, cause you might get it."
    While I understand and appreciate your frustration, I have to point out that there is at least one erroneous argument being presented here, that the people who were asking for missions to be more interesting are the same ones who are unhappy with a change that does make them more challenging.

And even among those that are both asking for a change then complaining about the change that they got, it is not necessarily the case that they were asking for just anything at all to be done to make them more interesting and thus that they should have been happy with what was given to them. Many proposals for making missions more interesting have not necessarily involved making mobs harder to kill or increasing the risk of death, they have involved using other professional skills to accomplish goals. So even though missions were changed to be more interesting to some set of people, that other set of people's wishes were not really addressed.

Me, I didn't get to experience the hardest of the NPC pets because I had work and the other issues with zoning messing up all kinds of things put me off playing at all. I wish I could have experienced the first cut at pets but those other significant issues got in the way. Thus I can't really comment on what I personally liked or disliked about how they were implemented. I still felt compelled to comment because I have always been put off by the "People said they wanted X, they got something like X, then they all complained" reasoning that implies that "the people" are all a bunch of hypocrites. If you have a specific instance of someone saying "I want X," then he got exactly X and then whined about it, then fine, call him on it, but please don't insult the whole community who dare voice some unhappiness.

I'm not trying to be rude to you, Fion. As I said at the start, I can really understand your frustration. Please just understand that the people who are not as happy with the changes that were made might be worth listening to as well.
    Bima, Golly, Whatsamatta, Laslingis and an army of sub-100 alts

I agree with you in some respects, but you cant make all people happy all of the time ya know. In a similar thread to this one, I proposed a change to humaniod mobs that would make missions much more fun yet would actually lower the HP of a mob.

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...threadid=69753

2nd post, just after my first. I think it's a great idea, would make missions more challenging without making them impossible, would make mob combat a bit quicker perhaps, but more challenging at the same time. If you agree, bump it .

What we really need beyond what I have said, for those who want solo missions to be more fun, its not a boss, it's not for team missions to be accessable to people who want to solo them, it's other things. Things that should perhaps be found only in solo missions. What I proposed in the thread above is one possability.

But we need less whinning about it on these forums and more ideas. You can bash funcom for how boring solo missions are and then scream at them (not saying all that disagree did all the whinning and screaming on here over the past week) when they add something to ****e it up. I think funcom is actively looking for ways to ****e up missions, but we the players aren't giving them any feedback as to what we would like to see, within reasonable limits. This post is one of the VERY few constructive 'what I would like to see in solo mission' threads.

So stop whinning about how boring missions are, and get all mad when funcom does something about it, but it's not what you would like to see. Give them some ideas.

I'm going to start a thread 'ideas to make solo missions more enjoyable' go post your ideas guys. Maybe funcom will even like a few and put them to work
    Last edited by Fion; Nov 16th, 2002 at 23:53:49.

Oh I complained...

but never about boring solo missions....

I still like solo missions they way they are.... and so far see no reason to change it for me...

But...

I would suggest a lot of solo players would like the option to pull solo team missions...

the option to have a boss mob at the end of a solo mission

the option to have pets in solo missions...

the key word is OPTION.... and not forced on us solo players.

For me (and only me) it was unasked for, unwanted, unloved and unwarrented, and the day the patch went live was unplayable and very unenjoyable.

Regards

Falconwings
    63 Fixer RK1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast