Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NT first time PvPer

NT first time PvPer

Hi folks,

My guild president made a call for people to come defend 2h0 from a clan attack a couple days ago and I figured I'd try PvP for the first time even though I'm a lowly 115 NT.

Needless to say, I got wiped. First womp in and I found someone almost dead...managed to get a nuke off (resisted) and they died to someone else. Next thing I know, someone jumps off a roof in front of me, roots me, shoot shoot, dead.

Hummm, I think, that was fast. OK, I'll try again.

Come back in...the clanners are right at the womp, I tab a big trox, next thing I see is Piercingevil rooting me, shoot shoot, dead.

Well...OK....try again.

This time I womp in to see a mass of clanners on the hill. I was dumb and got ahead of the OT rush and died before I knew I was under attack.

OK...last try.

I make sure to hang back from the rush...have changed my quick keys to roots and AOE. The OT rush clears the field...clanners run to bunker, and I manged to do exactly nothing useful in the battle (a little damage from AOE, but that's it). The OTers keep the clanners bottled in the bunker (except a few low lvl guys who we couldn't hit) w/ a few forays out by clanners. On OT chat, people are calling for us to back off so the clanners can come out but people stay up close. After a while I guess some clanners came out and I got aim/fling/bursted to death before I knew I was under attack.

I have no weapon damage, NR not very high at all, and maxed nano skills, nano pool and body dev. Evades are also pretty low. I tried to concentrate on blinds, roots and area nukes when I stepped out onto the PvP battlefield. A ton of what I tried to do got resisted and I resisted nothing.

Hummm...so, once you pass lvl 75 (I think?) you basically are useless at PvP until you get up near 200 and can max out things like NR, evades and get a decent weapon? Of course, being a nanomage NT makes me even more useless, but given what I saw Piercingevil doing, I'm hopeful. I have been reading the forums on how to play NT in PvP...but if I am right, most of the hints are for NTs who have NS, Crown, Kels, good weapon, etc. Is there any point to me trying to do PvP before having those things?

Thanks for any insight,
    Nochnaja

Keep safe, and may the clans fear you.

PVP for an NT is a tough row to hoe. Most of it is built on luck and surprise. And the realization that you need to pick on engies, crats, and the occasional MA. Most healing classes will quickly drain your nano pool then kill you. PVP with a NT is possible but it's like wearing pork chop draws through a lions den.
    Rotamus, 196 NT
    Littlebitt, 200 Doc
    Ranxacka, 153 Trader

Proud general of Immortal Ascension

America's Finest News Source

Hollywood Stock Exchange

Regardless of class, you need lots of experience and a good deal of knowledge of game mechanics and other classes before you're going to be any good. Don't say 'X' class sucks after a couple of tries and then say nerf 'Y' class, focus on finding the weakness of each class.

I hear people say "MPs suck at pvp", yet it all depends on what class you're fighting. The strategies for an NT are almost identical to MPs
    Nanomage: The OTHER other white meat

I guess my main question is if there's much I can do/learn at my lvl or if I should wait to higher lvls. I absolutely believe that with enough try-try-againing I can get better at it, but after my short experience and reading the forums I felt like I was just inviting hours and hours of frustration by trying it at my lvl.

Anyone ever been able to make any sort of impact on PvP when in the low 100s?
    Nochnaja

Re: NT first time PvPer

Originally posted by Nochnaja
    Hummm...so, once you pass lvl 75 (I think?) you basically are useless at PvP until you get up near 200 and can max out things like NR, evades and get a decent weapon? . . . most of the hints are for NTs who have NS, Crown, Kels, good weapon, etc. . .
    Thanks for any insight,
    Other than including a good root this pretty much sums it up for the NT in PvP imho. 150+ is a good place to start when you get tired of the shoot shoot die routine.
    Goode 200 Nanotechnician
    Ionsphere 166 Martial Artist
    DrHandy 154 Doctor

you are going to die. alot. that is, until you learn how things work in pvp.

pvp is nothing at all like pvm. in pvm if you attack a green mob you have a good chance at killing it where in pvp if you attack a green you are most likely going to die unless that green guy is just as inexperienced as you.

it takes a long time and alot of visits to the reclaim before you figure it all out. most of the people on these boards screaming that x class is so uber are complete noobs to pvp. alot of them power leveled their toons and jumped in with both feet because they heard that toon was the current pvp god.

i don't care what character you create, i am going to kill you all things being equal because i have the experience and you don't. you must get the experience and learn what to do, and also what not to do and when to do it. asking people for the answer to these questions will help you get to that point faster, but don't expect overnight results.

Drop by the NT forum for some useful tips and tricks on PvP.

115 is a rough lvl to PvP at for almost any prof, due to the high level of many PvPers that attend the large fights.
    Vergil : OT NT : Dept of Applied Nanotechnology
    Jobe Plaza
    Retired NT Professional
    Proud Owner of RubiKa's Biggest Banjo Collection
    Server First!

I guess my main question is if there's much I can do/learn at my lvl or if I should wait to higher lvls. I absolutely believe that with enough try-try-againing I can get better at it, but after my short experience and reading the forums I felt like I was just inviting hours and hours of frustration by trying it at my lvl.

Anyone ever been able to make any sort of impact on PvP when in the low 100s?

heheh i havent been a novice since level 118 i lost it there and havent gotten it back since

listen if you have a good doc freind you will do weel docs cant root

and u need health, this is one sugguestion

but you have to learn what you can and cant do

you cant kill many one on one
    you cant heal your self
    you cant get caught by any 2 alphas
    you cant get divested/nanoshutdown/slowed

but
    you can mass blind
    you can aoe
    you can root
    you can debuff -90 or -115 to all nano skills

and u can run away alot

just hang at edge of battle target somone close others but far from you and aoe him or her and run away fast so those with auto target human attacker still turned on dont get lucky or you will get like 7 shots from players in mass pvp and be dead

and most importantly you know thaty excitement and shakes u get the first time u enetr pvp?

you have to kkep practicing till that shakeyness oges away and the only thing to do that is dying in pvp

simple as that but dont worry who cares i die all the time i dont mind

the only time i mind is if i am killed due to bugs
    "death comes slowly to those who anticipate it and swiftly to the unconcerned" Richard Pyott

You want a duel?.......Go play chess
    You want honor?......Go serve your country in the military

First pistol crat to reach Chief.

Proud follower of the Mexican Hat Band Cult.

Just hang in there. When I was 115 there were a lot less people higher than me. Now it can be rough.

My tactic when I was that level was to not go head to head with ANYONE. I was always lurking on the outside. I would go to TIR arena and would jump and gank when people weren't expecting it. This will give you the advantage as far as being the aggressor. If you get attacked, the few seconds it takes to respond to those attacks is what kills you. If you can be the first person to attack, then you have the advantage.

I used blinds first, that buys a few seconds (just as long as the person doesn't have the settings turned off), Crown of frost, or coronet of frost. negative nano skills will just about affect everyone in some manner. And from that point it's dependant on the profession that you are attacking.

Just hang in there, you will become a better fighter with levels and experience.

At 115 you really don't stand a chance at all once someone decides to target you. At best you can try to get some 1 on 1 duels with others at your level and learn the basics of how your class works. But until you are about 150 or more you need to get used to being the easy target.

Thanks for the posts...

My one experience (with some of the exitement/shakes ) definately taught me to stay on the edges and try to pick on folks who are busy with other problem. By the time I learned that, the clanners were all bottled up and there wasn't anyone to pick on so I didn't have much to do. I did throw some area blinds and some AOE...don't remember if I threw coronet, but certainly will next time.

So, I'll have to start by playing a harassing role w/ lots of running away. I can live with that...hopefully the learning will happen with experience...hopefully...

Thanks again,

N
    Nochnaja

Yeah, just try to think of your own safety first and assist the higher levels in the beginning. Best way to learn really. Don't try to do anything by yourself, because it will probably just get you killed.

Hi Nochnaja, actually there is quite a few good things about our profession, even being nanomage is quite nice.

For duels, you will need NS MKI or II. I got rookie around lvl 100 or so and been there ranging from freshman to apprentice once from almost all one on one duels. Ive fought docs, soldiers, enfocers, you name it. You can beat every class out there with the right tactic and luck on your side.

There is two ways to go, in my opinion, as a NT with weapons. First, is a big alpha weapon. 1,2,3 and then depends on nukes. Works great, ask Gunnandahalf. Or, go fast weapons, something that will hit once or twice between nuke recharges. Ithaca is a crit weapon, you don't crit, well -- get an alpha weapon. I use ithaca.

Once you get into the higher levels there are many great things going for you. Maxxed evades + blind can make even the best miss half the time. NS MKI or II is a godsend in duels, and damn helpful in some situations in pvp. Once you get your evades maxxed the blind/dark movement and full defense is a beautiful combo.

There is tons of different approachs to all but I'll tell you my ways for a few of the harder classes.

Doc - Blind, Crown, aimed, fling, EC. If it stuns IEF and stun again. Try to keep up crown and EC and if it stuns enough (and you crit enough) they go down. If they land a init chain blind/crown.

Traders - Blind, Crown, IEF 3 times or so, repeat. You get plundered. Its over. Just run or /moon.

Enforcers - At high levels these are my worst nightmare. Rage + maxxed NR is almost always pure death. Their damage shields will take me to 3/4 alone. Its not too hard if you use blind, crown, IEF over and over as long as it lands. But I'm about 45% win against enforcers.

Soldiers - Blind, EC, EC, EC. Try to hold off those alphas. As soon as they TMS either root and back away or chain cast layers and stim and blind. Once it goes down their RRFE is down too and its pretty easy to take em down.

There was a very hated, ganking lvl 100 NT named Blazindro. I swear I saw him duel 4 vs 1 many times in MMD. And he always killed 3-4 of them. Have to be quick, use good tactics. Best of luck to you, hope you don't give up like many others do. We are going to get love somewhere between patches 14.7 - 19.3.

Find some fixers to fight and make yourself feel better. You should tear through an equal lvl fixer in GA even at TL4.

Ah...

I'm slow to come around, but I'm just realizing that while I don't have NS, I do at least have mini-Crown (Coronet), mini-blinds (no, not the ones in my apartment), mini-nukes, etc...so I definately have no excuse to not at least TRY the strategies Piercingevil lists (and the other strategies posted by various folks in other forums/threads). The sad thing is that I read all there was to read on NT PvP before I went and did it...but the brain just isn't wired right for PvP yet and none of it came out as positive action when the leet-dung was hitting the fan.

I guess getting levels and other general knowledge is still higher on my priority list, but I'll definately keep at the PvP thing (and keep my eye out for fixers especially ). Besides, hopefully NW will make it more necessary and fun!

Thanks again for the comments...
    Last edited by Nochnaja; Nov 14th, 2002 at 22:33:22.
    Nochnaja

Ah...

I'm slow to come around, but I'm just realizing that while I don't have NS, I do at least have mini-Crown (Coronet), mini-blinds (no, not the ones in my apartment), mini-nukes, etc...so I definately have no excuse to not at least TRY the strategies Piercingevil lists (and the other strategies posted by various folks in other forums/threads). The sad thing is that I read all there was to read on NT PvP before I went and did it...but the brain just isn't wired right for PvP yet and none of it came out as positive action when the leet-dung was hitting the fan.

I guess getting levels and other general knowledge is still higher on my priority list, but I'll definately keep at the PvP thing (and keep my eye out for fixers especially ). Besides, hopefully NW will make it more necessary and fun!

Thanks again for the comments...
    Forgot to mention you really should get some MKI armor or MKII armor. If you need help in SD I soloed that dungeon for all my pieces, just send me a tell and I'll go with you to keel some smugs.

Waves

PvP as an Nt isn't as horribly bad as everyone would have you believe. Sure you will be an easy target lower levels, but once you get a bit higher and start getting better nanos Nt's can be rather feared. Just looks @ Larcus, That man owns most people he fights. Nullity Sphere is basically a must if your going to be PvPing against the heavy hitters. You can learn alot more at the Nt Board check it out

Re: Waves

Originally posted by Fretter
    PvP as an Nt isn't as horribly bad as everyone would have you believe. Sure you will be an easy target lower levels, but once you get a bit higher and start getting better nanos Nt's can be rather feared. Just looks @ Larcus, That man owns most people he fights. Nullity Sphere is basically a must if your going to be PvPing against the heavy hitters. You can learn alot more at the Nt Board check it out
    J00 and your NT friend need to move to RK1 with the big guns

Thanks for the armor-help offer Piercingevil...expect a tell from me. Oh, but please don't gank me on the way in. *cringe*
    Nochnaja

Nuke.... Aimed Shot.... Nullity.... HAHA I roxxored j00!
    . : Oldskule - 87 Martial Artist RK1 Kung Fu Fighter! : .

. : Ternak - 112 Soldier RK1 *Dead* : .

. : Jenerik - 8 Enforcer RK1 Just another generic Enforcer : .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast