Thread: Changing Professions is a Bad Idea.

Changing Professions is a Bad Idea.

Adding the ability to change professions sounds like a bad idea to me. I can't see how it would not screw up character balance. All I see are uber characters with Maxed out power weapons and Red pets at level 200. Play a Soldier or Enforcer until you can use a QL 200 weapon, then go MP, Engineer, or Crat and get the QL 200 pets.

I am assuming once someone changes profession, their skill costs would change to that of the new profession, and they would not be able to use the nanos of the previous profession once they have made the change, unless the new profession is Agent of course (I have a feeling most will switch to Agent at level 200 once all our desired skills are purchased at lowest price possible. We will be Full Auto, Burst, Flinging Agents with pets or Brawling, Dimach, Hammer Agents with Pets)

One safeguard of course would be to not allow IP to carry over to the new profession. Meaning you either spend all your IP before you change or you lose it. But when most professions are wielding their highest QL weapons and using their Highest QL pets by level 115, this does very little. Play a soldier or enforcer to level 115 and once you can use that QL 200 weapon, switch to another profession.

Now my final point. Is this even necessary? This is a game where it's possible to get to level 150 in two weeks of twinking (it has been done) Anyone can get to 60 in a week of casual play by grouping. Part of the life of a MMORPG is rerolling. It's the only thing to keep you playing when you've already seen everything there is to see in the game.

Wink Where do you hunt?

Level 150 in a real life two weeks? No way...

medusa's are gone, as are the days of super leveling with it (unless you know a new one, in which case let me know )
    I am Dnastyone Official Broom pusher for The Professionals
    Painmage my newest funnest guy
    PHEAR ME RK1 Yazule IMMMM BACK

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

Its infact a very good idea, cause then we gimped NTs can finally change profession.
    NT phone HOME!!

I think it would be a neat thing to go right along with the IP reset, it would be such a waste to get totally bored with your character and have to start anew for a change of pace. You walk into what looks like the character-generation area, which you can't enter unless you're completely naked, and then can choose a new breed and profession and all your skills are reset to nothing and IP is returned for you to allocate up to that level.

Noticed I mentioned *breed* also as an option to change professions. Some breeds are more suited for different professions, and some people would like to *only* change their breed too. It would be great if FC could comment on whether or not that would also be an option.

No not me, I havent leveled to 150 in two weeks. I just play the game like a normal person.

But it's easy to level someone up quickly by having them kill 1/10th level XP mobs. The high level tanks them while the twink kills em. All you need to do to keep the mob on you is use Taunts and or Aggression enhancers. But the best way is with Charms. Charm the mob, release it, and it hates you more than anyone else in the world. If it looks as if it's going to turn and attack the twink, charm it again and repeat.

Originally posted by Zadeh
    I think it would be a neat thing to go right along with the IP reset, it would be such a waste to get totally bored with your character and have to start anew for a change of pace. You walk into what looks like the character-generation area, which you can't enter unless you're completely naked, and then can choose a new breed and profession and all your skills are reset to nothing and IP is returned for you to allocate up to that level.

Noticed I mentioned *breed* also as an option to change professions. Some breeds are more suited for different professions, and some people would like to *only* change their breed too. It would be great if FC could comment on whether or not that would also be an option.
    so, basically, instead of a lvl 74 enforcer, I'd become a lvl 74 mp, with wiped ip? hmm..... sounds fair. to some degree. what about uploaded nano's/maps in this scenario?

if they are wiped, I'm thinking about changing from enforcer to enforcer to "clean up" some of the old nano's i don't use anymore (like the proficiency-nano's. they're just wasting space now, since I've got expertice instead)

Originally posted by Skybert

so, basically, instead of a lvl 74 enforcer, I'd become a lvl 74 mp, with wiped ip? hmm..... sounds fair. to some degree. what about uploaded nano's/maps in this scenario?

if they are wiped, I'm thinking about changing from enforcer to enforcer to "clean up" some of the old nano's i don't use anymore (like the proficiency-nano's. they're just wasting space now, since I've got expertice instead)
    I would think NanoPrograms should probably be whiped too, unless maybe there are ones in the same profession that you've already uploaded. The latter scenario would probably only occur for Agents switching to another prof, but to make things simple - probably easier just to whipe them all.

Also assuming you wouldn't get back any Map Nav, otherwise someone could just create a character and level them up just for the purpose of uploading all the maps and then just reset their IP/prof.