Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what do you think about the new root change?

So what do you think about the new root change?

After some testing it appears that as long as you are being aggroed, you can not break roots with anything except rage.

IMO this is far too much. As a ranged profession with capped range I'm not really put at a very big disadvantage by this, other than the obvious "grief" tactic of rooting someone for 5 minutes and running off.

But this is certain death for melee professions. MAs and melee adventurers in particular, but also enforcers, since rage costs a lot more than roots. Even rooters themself are hit just as hard as anyone else by this.

Root breakers seems to be comming in 14.7. Only rooting professions gets theese nanos, in addition to the pet classes who gets a root breaker for their pet. Everyone else gets some sort of stim that can be used to break roots. The problem with all theese are that they take about 10 seconds to execute. They are also not buffs, but affects any roots running in your NCU when you execute them.

Is this really good for gameplay and overall enjoyment of the game? Do we want to introduce even more 100% loss scenarios, this time the melee vs. rooter scenario.

Did anyone with some experience really think there was something wrong with the way roots used to work? Lowest QL root for PvP, incomp to break etc. It still put the target at a slight disadvantage, without being just plain boring.

If roots are to be unbreakable, why not make it so that every point of nano resist gives n seconds of reduced duration, instead of introducing all sorts of extra nanos to cause even more mess?

Anyone got any ideas on this issue?

Its good and its bad. This stop ppl from zoning and leaving fight when they are losing VS the rooters(NT,Fixer,agent,crat and traders) but it can be used just to annoy ppl who are in the arena. Even with my very good defence against roots(GA+NR+Evac) I still find this new root system way too unfair and easy to exploit.

I think FC should change the way it work. Reverse the way you can break root with debuff. If YOU aggro the rooter, you cant break it but if you release aggro(allow him to recharge HP and nano) you can use a debuff on yourself and break the root. Maybe make a charge time for reattacking so the rooter actully get some time to heal himself(2sec is enough)

I def think its bad, even beeing a rooter myself I find it unbalancing to give roots that much power, I never wanted it, and I cant understand why it have been implemented...
    Hermy
    Shadelore
    Retired.

hmmm ill tell u what

ill trade you my root for u HP hows that?

breaking root was an EXPLOIT
    its the only thing a nt like me has to keep me from going toe to toe with somone with twice my hp or ability to heal

but they should make it so one shot with a bullet breaks root
    "death comes slowly to those who anticipate it and swiftly to the unconcerned" Richard Pyott

You want a duel?.......Go play chess
    You want honor?......Go serve your country in the military

First pistol crat to reach Chief.

Proud follower of the Mexican Hat Band Cult.

1 shot to break seems reasonable enough to me. I havent seen how it works yet fortunetly but i dont feel the need to find out either. However rooting someone in 2h0 for 20 mins until you can call all your friends in to get the kill doesnt sound like too good of an idea to me...maybe an even better solution would to be if your nano resist is higher than the reqs of the root it wont work on you, meaning only the high end roots would work on you like it shouldve been all along.
    Experienced Patk9
    Level 220 Clan Advent
    Patk8 206 Trader
    Rubi-ka's 1st Adventurer Neophyte and Experienced

Originally posted by Patk9
    1 shot to break seems reasonable enough to me. I havent seen how it works yet fortunetly but i dont feel the need to find out either. However rooting someone in 2h0 for 20 mins until you can call all your friends in to get the kill doesnt sound like too good of an idea to me...maybe an even better solution would to be if your nano resist is higher than the reqs of the root it wont work on you, meaning only the high end roots would work on you like it shouldve been all along.
    hmm. agree yet again.
    Pfft!
    Rubi-Ka's FiRST Neophyte Enforcer - Holder of Spoon - Stirring the pot - Pumpkin' Pie anyone?
    >Wo "Caol" Ha - 187 ENF | >Thzunami - 97 MA | >Wo "Dioxy" Ha - 30 TRA | In memory of The Council

Jayde's Item Database - All you'll ever need - http://aodb.info

"BACK AWAY" - Pogobear / Skymarshal

I think that 1 shot should break root, seems pretty fair imo
    Azzazzimon

Clan Apocalypse - The guild for models

Account closed.

Higher ql lvl root= more dmg to break is how it should be
    Hermy
    Shadelore
    Retired.

Even being a ranged class, (one that doesnt have roots, or any viable way to handle them) i would have to say that it can really suck... What pat said comes to mind, If somone agros me roots me, and chain roots me till thier friends can come, and I have no way of doing anything, It really sucks. makes it imposible to Go pvp solo (not that I could win anyways :P)

Point is that if there was some way to viable handle roots, then it wouldnt be an issue...

I can imagine it sucks even worse for melee classes..

~sky
    215 Solitus Soldier RK1
    Advisor Midnight Reveries.

Do politics exist? Yes.
    Who's involved in them? Anyone who wants to be.

If you spend your time worrying about what everyone else is doing in their lives, you'll miss what's happening in yours.

It's kinda funny tho, for a melee profession, when that trader roots you and then just do as many ac/nano/skill -drains he wants before he decides to kill you.

...or maybe not that funny

It's no different for me than it was a week or a month ago.

But for MAs... it's hell. My L100 trader dueled a few 150-160 MAs to half (my trader has 2300 HP), and I put up a pretty good showing.

The MAs had a hard time hitting me at all.
    Katelin Arinia Rhees
    Level 220 Enforcer
    Former Enforcer Professional
    Former President of the late Midnight Reveries
    Account Created: 2001-10-08; Account Expired: 2005-02-19

Another patch that made the Trader even more powerful in pvp. Cause of that patch I had to IP reset my MA from my Doc...

Scenerio, fake, but shows how this will cause greifing

*hermy roots patk9 in mmd*

*says in guild chat*, hey any novices need a kill!!!!!! got patk9 rooted in mmd for ya...............

this is terrible how roots work now, i remember when i was a lowbie enf and couldn't break roots, besides not having range, i have to run at range users giving them a lot of time to target you and root and back off.................i got killed like this many times as a lowbie, i quit pvping till i got higher lvl rages

hrmm

look, rooting a melee user is supposed to suck for them - thats the point. But it shouldnt be certain death. the way it was was just fine, those of u who support the new way roots work are just plain lazy - u dont wanna be bothered putting some thought into yer trader or whatever, u just wanna lvl up and go out and pwn every1. Yea, thats fun...i guess. NO player should EVER be able to completely 100% take the ability to fight back away from another player, unless its by killing him

Also, with this "hit breaks root" thing, consider this scenario:

adven and trader fight in arena.
    trader roots adven and backs off.
    since u can still cast while agroing and not actually attack the target, the trader then chaincasts drains (which are not considered "hits") until he gets both off on the adven who now wonders why he even bothered to max nanoresist or walk into the arena at all.
    it is now 1 whole minute later that the trader's 1.5k aimed shot breaks the adven's root (and his jaw/pride/will to play AO), and the damage the adven did in the opening seconds with his own specials is completely wiped out by the fact that the trader's first aid skill recycled 3 times since he took that damage.

i said it b4 in another thread - i dont mind dyin, i just wanna die fightin. U rooters know this is a cheap way to get a title. No sport = no fun, even the predator knew that

As a crat the root thing is fantastic. Advs and MAs never pvp me anymore. But on the whole scale of things I think it sucks. It makes me alot better at pvp which i think is wrong (im not used to it). Im not a fan of the root change.
    However keep the snare at unbreakable but make em shorter. If a trader can take my skills for 3 minutes then I should take someones speed for a small amount of time.

Originally posted by DrZatan
    Another patch that made the Trader even more powerful in pvp. Cause of that patch I had to IP reset my MA from my Doc...
    I should have never said trader. I should have said "L100 rooting class".

I had to try 3 times to land a divest on each of these MAs and didn't even try plunder. My gun is OE without both stacked (I'm PvM 99% ATM). It's not the trader part I was talking about, it's the root part.

Had I saved my nanopool for roots, the fights would have gone much longer. Of course with a 75% gun and 500ish attackrating, I wouldn't have been able to hit very well at all.
    Katelin Arinia Rhees
    Level 220 Enforcer
    Former Enforcer Professional
    Former President of the late Midnight Reveries
    Account Created: 2001-10-08; Account Expired: 2005-02-19

i love it finally it works again, and the chances of actully landing a root on most of the melee professions is nill, it still breaks after 3 shots anyways which is about the time it takes for rechage from teh root to be over. so azz saying that they should break in 1 shot is stupid case that 100% useless
    PVP Crat - More gimped than you would belive, but i still kill
    RK1
    Pokees Pokees
    LostClevage President of Enron

RK2
    Titlehugger Psycho PVP crat
    Flushdragon SUpAh Gimped trox adv

Root should break on 1st hit ...

AO is the only online mmrpg I know of where the roots dont break on the 1st hit.
    After 5+ years of playing Ultima Online .. eheh . hmm for me its just natural that roots should break on the 1st hit .
    Well but what UO dev team knows what AO dev team doesnt? I dont know eheh but UO is around "only" () about 6-7 years longer then AO ...

Voyevode.

[sarcasm]

Roots now = how it should be. They work PERFECT! No more bull**** exploiting to unroot. Good job FC!

[/sarcasm]
    Last edited by Caol; Nov 12th, 2002 at 21:17:16.
    Pfft!
    Rubi-Ka's FiRST Neophyte Enforcer - Holder of Spoon - Stirring the pot - Pumpkin' Pie anyone?
    >Wo "Caol" Ha - 187 ENF | >Thzunami - 97 MA | >Wo "Dioxy" Ha - 30 TRA | In memory of The Council

Jayde's Item Database - All you'll ever need - http://aodb.info

"BACK AWAY" - Pogobear / Skymarshal

Caol, you wouldnt be saying that because you are the only melee profession with a legit way to break root..?

Log on your MA and see how you like him in PvP now.
    /DaveDread (D.A.V.E.D.R.E.A.D.: Digital Artificial Violence and Exploration Device/Replicant Engineered for Assassination and Destruction mohahaha)

200 Opifex Clanner Gimp - Dinged in Style! (dimached a Virulent Minibull) Finally got my head straight, nothing like a goat helmet to get you in shape again. Oh, and those marks on my forehead (yah, still visible through the helmet, duh)... It was a Motorcycle baby. Really. Ran me over in West Athens while I was working on my tan. Think I look bad? You should see the biker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast