Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No Longer Envisioned

Well my optimistic split personality is very ok with all that. We have been tossing ideas arounds, some are discarded.

The benefits will come to the other in dev' features. I'm happy with that.

Still, a member of the dev team said on the board next patch was on jan 23... and no list of NEXT PATCH stuff yet ??
    "Donner à des millions une connaissance de l'anglais, c'est les rendre esclaves". (Hind Swarâj, ch. 18)

Quick question: Those items that were promised, and as such discussed, but not listed here...

Should we assume that they are:

A: Not decided upon.

B: Agreed to be possible, and something you intent to do.

C: Just not listed because the list is just some examples.

D: Something else. If so, what?
    *poof*

Finally free from this nightmare!

Hmm. That reality message didn't sound bad at all....I'm even surprised those things were put in the public light that way. Missions without killing sound interesting-but risk vs reward rears its ugly head again. Courier missions would be ok especially for the first 10 levels if only to introduce new players to Rubi Ka, but would be milk runs for higher level players.

As far as the rest of the list, a big yawn....Keep working as you have been doing, the game is improving steadily.

Shame about the Linux port

I have to say I'm disappointed by the decision not to port to Linux. The only reason I boot into Windows is to play AO. You say that there aren't enough users to justify a port, but I for one was never asked whether I would play the game on Linux, and I can't help but wonder how you determined how many Linux users would play the game. Given that one of the main arguments that people have against using Linux is that there are very few decent games for the platform, surely you're helping this to become a self-fulfilling prophecy?

Risk isn't the same as violence.

People working at a nuclear plant is under constant risk. It doesn't mean they are killers.

And risk isn't necesarily a factor in everything. Leveling through non-combat means should take more time. But as it is now, it takes so redicolously long to do it, and it's not financially possible.
    *poof*

Finally free from this nightmare!

Ye mean ye lads are gonna complete all other things promised??

Wow... *speechless*

(Just don't make this 3rd Person Quake Online... we need tradeskills!!)

Originally posted by Wonton
    Courier missions would be ok especially for the first 10 levels if only to introduce new players to Rubi Ka, but would be milk runs for higher level players.
    Remember that you can't fly and I don't know about you, but there are still quite a few zones (All the 0% gas zones for instance) that would make my LvL 94 Fixer stain his pants. With all of its faults, I am still in awe over just how good this game looks. It is a shame that people have to go back to the same spots over and over to gain experience.

If you wanted to get slick with this, Funcom could simulate a search party that is looking for you. From time to time, the game would spawn a few mobs that are between you and your destination. These mobs would have a large agro radius but only aggo on you. You have to simple find a way to get around them.

Crin, I think courier or "find and seek" missions might be a good idea but only in small missions. Imagine how you'd feel after you'd been killed 3 times in a row by "Killroy Killyou" on a mission to Varmit Woods or Tir County. It would get old and become an annoyance.

Maybe some sort of static missions....um Notum mining could be done, you get say 10 xp for each notum fragment you find in the pile of rocks....Funcom might not have enough liability insurance for all the carpal tunnel claims though, heh.

Courier missions would be ideal for lower level characters. Higher level characters don't need this as mission sites tend to be located all over, and if the mission reward is valuable enough will risk anything to go get it....

Missions that don't require at least some degree of fighting
    So in other words..
    "We only made one type a mission, and that type is for soldiers, enforcers, and martial artists. Sorry all your doctors, traders, crats, and other noncombat oriented professions!"
    or
    "The only kind of roleplaying you can do when it comes to missions if pulling a trigger."
    ReetHead "Karrd"
    First to "hand make" Custom Refs.
    President of the late Fixer Coalition
    Member of Storm
    Impatiently waiting to enter the shadow

Originally posted by Wonton
    Crin, I think courier or "find and seek" missions might be a good idea but only in small missions. Imagine how you'd feel after you'd been killed 3 times in a row by "Killroy Killyou" on a mission to Varmit Woods or Tir County. It would get old and become an annoyance.
    I can’t imagine this type of mission being more difficult than a normal one. I can also see a nice reward being offered for the completion of the longer journeys. I would rather have a mission where I had to go through every zone with my Fixer to get the Grid Armor instruction disk, than to hunt endlessly in hopes for the random drop.

Courier missions would be ideal for lower level characters. Higher level characters don't need this as mission sites tend to be located all over, and if the mission reward is valuable enough will risk anything to go get it....
    Higher level players have Yalmahas, and simply fly to their destination. Once again this is just an alternative to having to kill mobs for experience, and is a nice way to see the world.

Originally posted by Karrd
    So in other words..
    "We only made one type a mission, and that type is for soldiers, enforcers, and martial artists. Sorry all your doctors, traders, crats, and other noncombat oriented professions!"
    I have a simple solution to non-combat classes doing solo missions . (I’ll come up with an answer to just about any problem. Now as to how good it is…).

Henchmen.

Add a checkbox to the mission terminal. If it is checked you will get a henchman to accompany you on your mission. He will appear when you zone into your mission. To compensate for the extra fire power the mobs will be made tougher and you will take an experience penalty.

next patch 23 january? meow! good!

Hmmpft!

Sure Cos, wait until AFTER I start a Not envisioned thread and then start this one.

Well I suppose you can move my comments to this one.
    Anastasia "Aniee" Cervenak
    Martial Artist

Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to. -------Mark Twain

MOSTLY okay

I have no real problems with most of this. I want to say that right up front, because while I may come off awfully negative on the ones I do, overall, I thought this was a useful and promising article.

Penal system: Listen, there are players in this game doing things that just plain ought to have negative consequences, and don't. Omni players flagrantly ignoring the amnesty, or otherwise flauting "Boss" Ross's orders. Both side slaughtering NPCs indiscriminately, especially in Newland. I'm sure I could think of more, but you get my drift.

There needs to be some way to suspend just one character for a specified amount of time. You don't have to have prison cell graphics with the characters' icons trapped inside, you just make it impossible for that character to log in. Once you do that, fine, you have your prison system. What's so hard about that?

Subway: I have no problem with the subway being out of order -- for as long as peace negotiations drag on. I've always understood that neither side was doing any work on rehabbing the subway because neither side wanted to make it easier for enemy soldiers to move between the north and the south.

And since I don't expect the current peace negotiations to ever result in a solid, lasting peace, that means the subway will never be reactivated.

So what's the point of actually saying so out loud?

Non-combat missions: Look, we already have non-combat missions. They're nigh-impossible, but they exist. Just roll an existing mission, ideally with the Stealth slider all the way over, and when you get in, Sneak your way through it.

It could use a few tweaks, but it doesn't need anything major. The cash and XP rewards for missions strike me as being too low, especially XP -- I've never understood why the bonus XP for mission completion was less than the XP for killing a single mob. I would strongly prefer that the minimum odds to get a token were a bit higher, say around 20%. Picking a lock to get into a room needs to not break stealth for mobs on the other side of the door. (This seems to be working, lately, if I stand at the edge of lockpicking range?) For professions with good "calm" nanos, that's not even an overwhelming problem.

One of the first characters I created was a doctor. I still haven't gotten entirely comfortable with the idea that the Hippocratic Oath did not survive the Long Winter. On the other hand, doctors who team with other characters do get full XP for team kills, so it's not like they have to break the Oath to get XP. A "no-kill" doctor won't get rich, but they solved that with the Bio-commutator, or however it's spelled.

If they implement the threats in Gaute's article on over-equipping, Trader debuffs will be such an ultimate weapon that Traders will go from the weakest class in missions to the strongest; that'll probably go a long way towards ending Trader complaints about combat missions.

So arguably they didn't need to add this to the "No Longer Envisioned" list. They could have Vietnamized it, in Richard Nixon's old idiom: declared victory and called the troops home.

Smile Way to go Funcom

...and a big "shame on you" to all the posters critical of this announcement.

Funcom has done the honest and ethical thing here. They actually (gasp) went back and examined every promise they ever made and addressed them.

The result? A few that can't be met.

Cheers to you FunCom for a truly ethical move.

To all you complainers...tell me ONE other company that has taken actions this ethical (or any politician for that matter)...what? you can't? because there are NOT ANY!!!! In fact, you would be hard pressed to find many people this ethical.

Thank you for taking the moral high ground on this FunCom. This is the real reason I stick with this game....because I can TRUST YOU!!! I don't need you to be perfect, just honest, ethical, and customer driven.

nuff said.

Originally posted by Scorus
    Any possibility that you will address the question of whether you still envision letting players join the "NPC" clans such as the Sentinels and Knights?

Scorus

to the death huh scorus

Well, it's nowhere near the number of broken promises UO has done.

I am cancelling my account right now! I can not believe it. I am so mad I could chew the snow tire off a truck. FC is just a bunch of high and mighty rich folks. What do you mean no war zones in the slums? And here I spent all my IPs for weilding a 2H Toilet Brush, not to mention all the ones wasted in Rat Eating, Crack Smoking and Low Riding Vehicles. Sheeessh my character Ralphkramden will be totally useless now. Oh well I guess I'll just drown myself in sewage.

I´m sad to see that there will be no none combat missions, and that the very needed penalty system will not be realized. Both would have given a lot of deapth to the game, as well as giving those poor docs somthing to do if they want to do mossions to lvl instead of teaming in hunts.

As for the sub-way it would have been nice, even if less needed for the game for anything but to increase the feeling of diferance between clan and Omni.

Anyway since you are to work on the game for 4 years you could just keep them on hold untill you figur how to make them incorperated into the game.

Arrow

"I´m sad to see that there will be no none combat missions, and that the very needed penalty system will not be realized. Both would have given a lot of deapth to the game, as well as giving those poor docs somthing to do if they want to do mossions to lvl instead of teaming in hunts. "

some of those poor docs your talking about can breeze through 80% missions all the way up to level 145

Originally posted by Cosmik

Scorus, I've been meaning to get back to you in that other thread (No, I haven't forgotten. Just gathering as many answers as I can).

We hope (emphasis) to give players the opportunity to join in-game NPC clans and factions within the first quarter of this year. More information will come as I drag it out of people.

I'll reply to the rest of your questions in that other thread.

Now, to your regularly scheduled thread....
    Now just to give the NPC's more personality. I'd like to see some actual chars played by funcom hired individuals. *nods* Would be better than Solomonne: "What can you tell me?" "I can tell you about Omni-Tek..." "tell me about Omni-Tek" "I don't understand..."

Oh oh... as far as that list... I wasn't even AWARE of a few of those as being envisioned changes. Most of them don't seem to effect gameplay at all. O_O (Except the missions which would be nice buuut) no biggie!
    .:: Isocyanate Doc
    .:: Onigiri Eng
    .:: Myaku MP
    .:: Maitrize Misc
    .:: Moruhine. Pita. Kechi!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast