Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: smoking

Exclamation For information purposes only

I smoke, and I am fully aware of what is in ciggerettes. That, I think, is the best advice to give to ppl who haven't tried and who you wouldn't want to start picking up a habit like smoking.

Take this for example:

1 pack ciggerettes
    1 1/2 pint or so of boiling hot water
    1 strainer

Take all the tobacco out of the cigerettes, discard papers and filters. Boil the crap out of the tobacco for about 15 minutes, strain the tobacco out. Put the remaining water on low heat, and evaporate the water. You SHOULD be left with a small amount of brown tarish substance. That is (mostly) nicotine. If you would take all that nicotine that was in the pack and consume it all at one time, you would most likely die. Nicotine IS a poison, and a very lethal one at that. It would only take 2-3 drops to kill someone.

Granted in every ciggerette there is hardly a lethal dose of nicotine, but still it is a poison, and no matter what you are causing harm to your body.

Now, as for why I smoke, even after I know this, I couldn't tell you. I started out of sheer boredom really. All morning/noon was school, all after noon was biking/hanging out/playing sports with my friends, and all night was spent on the computer. And after surfing the internet for about 5 years now, there really isn't a whole lot left to see. Smoking while surfing gave me something to do

Now watch this message be messed with because there is a recipe for nicotine

PS: Yes, this is the same recipe written by the Jolly Roger, and scaled down. The original recipe talks about chewing tobacco (Which is worse for you), but you can get the same results from cigerette tobacco as well. Besides, this is just to show what is in the ciggerettes we smoke, so don't flame me.
    Last edited by Cyronic; Nov 16th, 2002 at 10:06:17.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Even if your minds confused,
    then this is what you need to do,
    you need to get that mixed up feeling upside in from out of you" -Mr. Bones

Originally posted by lilnymph

How about those of us who have to work in smoky enviroments, and even though we have never touched a cig in our lives, are probably going to die of those same lung diseases, do we get to give advise?

hugs

lilnymph
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm still a skeptic on second hand smoke. That's like saying "Well, i don't drive a car but i'm exposed to the exhaust fumes of cars everyday and it's killing me."

No one seems to be doing anything about that. But anyway, you know i luvs you too much to argue with you. So you can advise away.

Originally posted by Iceman
    So i should go see a catholic priest when i want advise on sex? Oh wait...but he's never had sex so...
    Have you read the news at *all* recently?

I'm still a skeptic on second hand smoke. That's like saying "Well, i don't drive a car but i'm exposed to the exhaust fumes of cars everyday and it's killing me."
    So carbon monoxide isn't a poison either?

Anywho, my smoking story. My grandpa started smoking when he was in the Marines about 50 years ago. He smoked 2-3 packs a day, nasty crap. About 15 years ago, when I was 5 or so, I was sitting on his lap while he was sucked down a cig. I asked him, "Grandpa, why do you smoke?" He thought about it and couldn't come up with a good answer. He didn't want to lie to me so he said, "I don't know", and quit on the spot.

It's one of his (and my ) proudest moments, he always thanks me for doing that; I was just being a kid. I think it was especially effective because my other grandpa, my father's dad, had just died the year before from lung cancer, though I wasn't really aware of the reasons he was suddenly gone at the time.

Anyway, yeah.
    Originally posted by Whaambulance
    Hi.

This is singlehandedly the stupidest post I have EVER read on these forums. Congradulations.
    'Balancing' Nanos Will Remain Imbalanced Vs. Old Nanos - Because We Said So!

O Gaute, Gaute! Wherefore art thou Gaute?
    Deny thy nerfs and refuse thy lame design decisions;
    Or, if thou wilt not, be but on the forums,
    And I'll no longer be a whiner.

Quitting smoking turns me into a monster. For real. Eyes turn yellow, I grow a tail, finger- and toenails turn into claws. I spit and hiss and eat small children.
    When I reach the point where I've almost lost all means of communication my friends and family usually thinks I deserve to die in cancer and sends someone to buy a pack o' luckies.

A similar thing happens if I don't get coffee.

/G13
    pirates. with lasers.
    Are you having an argument on the internet, again?

Gene13 - on a space odyssey since 2001
    XXX - N

Some day your ship will come in, but you will be at the airport.

Originally posted by Gene13
    Quitting smoking turns me into a monster. For real. Eyes turn yellow, I grow a tail, finger- and toenails turn into claws. I spit and hiss and eat small children.
    Maybe its something else. Are you, by chance, quitting smoking only on full moons?
    Click Click BOOM

www.proveuswrong.com
    BoomDoom - Lvl 146 NT
    Thugdoom - lvl 80 enforcer
    EmissaryDoom - lvl 75 Crat
    ProfDoom - Lvl 57 MP
    Nursedoom - lvl 57 Doctor

Originally posted by BoomDoom
    Are you, by chance, quitting smoking only on full moons?
    Errm, coming to think of it, yes. Is that a bad idea?

/G13
    pirates. with lasers.

XXX - N

And I was thinking it was PMS. Guess not.
    Originally posted by Whaambulance
    Hi.

This is singlehandedly the stupidest post I have EVER read on these forums. Congradulations.
    'Balancing' Nanos Will Remain Imbalanced Vs. Old Nanos - Because We Said So!

O Gaute, Gaute! Wherefore art thou Gaute?
    Deny thy nerfs and refuse thy lame design decisions;
    Or, if thou wilt not, be but on the forums,
    And I'll no longer be a whiner.

Originally posted by Gene13
    Errm, coming to think of it, yes. Is that a bad idea?
    /G13
    You might be a werewolf. Try to quit smoking when your not a furry dog that thrives on blood and chaos...
    Click Click BOOM

www.proveuswrong.com
    BoomDoom - Lvl 146 NT
    Thugdoom - lvl 80 enforcer
    EmissaryDoom - lvl 75 Crat
    ProfDoom - Lvl 57 MP
    Nursedoom - lvl 57 Doctor

Originally posted by BoomDoom

You might be a werewolf. Try to quit smoking when your not a furry dog that thrives on blood and chaos...
    Thanks. I'll try that.

/G13
    pirates. with lasers.

XXX - N

I love how people who don't smoke, and have never had a cigarette, seem to be chalk full of advise on smoking. So i should go see a catholic priest when i want advise on sex? Oh wait...but he's never had sex so...

Leave the non-smoking advise giving to those that are actually killing themselves with it.
    Yes Iceman,

I have no credibility on the subject that is why I turned it over to the smokers. If your son or daughter is thinking of starting, what would you tell them? Ah, the naivette of never having tasted that first drag, would you like to have it back?

Originally posted by Brimstone
    *lights up a smoke and grins*

Good friend of mine said it best

Quitting smoking is like your best friend died
    and your the one that killed him.
    This is a great example of machismo bullsh*t. This thread is NOT about QUITTING but about advice you would give to those who haven't started.

Some smokers don't like it when others quit because it makes them look weak. Its much more comforting to have friends who justify your bad habits. Enjoy your smokes down there in Camp Denial.

So lets keep on topic.

BTW Gene13, what is your problem?!

If you are a werewolf, you can only be killed by a silver bullet. If you check the label you will see that cigarettes contain no bullets, silver or otherwise. You are one of the lucky few who can smoke without repercussion.
    "So shines a good deed in a weary world."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second hand smoke is the real deal.

Car exhaust, chemical fumes, radiation waste, etc are products of a society. Even if you don't drive, you benefit from people who do, as somebody is bringing you groceries.

We tolerate these pollutants as they are to some degree necessary to maintain our lifestyles.

Smoking is the imposition of your lifestyle on someone else. There is no tradeoff here, just a one way street.

I can remember my father taking us out for a lobster dinner, a rare occassion. A lady started smoking next to us causing me to sneeze and my mucus membrane became inflamed. The lobster tasted like cardboard.

Smoking has become so taboo in the States, it would be unthinkable for a workman to come to your house and light up while he was there. It stinks up your house, clothes, pet, etc.

I could not imagine returning to a world where everyone just lit up as they pleased and I'm not even talking about the adverse effect on health, I'm just talking about the smell and the irritation that smoking causes.
    Last edited by hobbes; Nov 18th, 2002 at 22:24:55.

Originally posted by hobbes
    This thread is NOT about QUITTING but about advice you would give to those who haven't started.
    Starting to smoke is very much about quitting. At some point you'll feel that you should quit smoking but you don't want to. Imo the scariest part of addiction, and the best reason to not start.

The risk of getting cancer, emphysema or just going thru withdrawal is nowhere near as frightening (after all, that won't happen to me, right ) as losing control over your own will.

/G13
    pirates. with lasers.

XXX - N

Smoke

Duh I love smoking and smoke a good 2 packs per 5 hour when being alone.... Playing AO ;p

Get nicrotine patches from your nearest doctor if you wanna quit.

For those who have not start, Bleh you should try it (only once! but no more! it's hard on your wallet)

My motto "gonna try everything in life"
    Dreamerxx - Doctor Current Setup Future Hope

Dreamerll - Soldier Babe

Dankala - Loved MP

Wound on the bone can heal but a wound from words may fester

Six weeks without smoking now.
    I've alienated myself from friends, family and co-workers. They say I've become a real prick. I'm always grumpy and freak out every five minutes about anything that bothers me.

The temptation for "just one smoke" is sometimes unbearable. It's the "quiet time" that's the worst. If I'm very busy it doesn't bother me, but just sitting down and doing nothing is impossible. I have to constantly do something with my hands (used to have a smoke when this happens). I talk about not smoking constantly, I know no one cares, but It's on my mind so often.

Drinking alcohol also makes me crave smoking a lot.
    Drinking coffee is the worst. Just keep thinking about the times having a cup and a smoke with friends. All my litte joys are gone.

Smoking is a bad habit and only a habit! It's only mental, It's in your head.

Some day I'll unlearn it.
    "You shoot me in a dream, you'd better wake up and apologize."

Dan, (Now Dream- but still a moron)

I am amazed you can spell your name correctly. The ultimate point about smoking is that nicotine is so addictive that even strong willed people can become addicts for life.

The point is not to introduce nicotine to the brain.

Thanks for being an idiot.
    Last edited by hobbes; Nov 23rd, 2002 at 05:31:36.

*lights one up*

While I won't go all high and mighty here, I will put in my two cents....

Smoking is for anyone, addiction is for weak-minded people. Just mho.

Now, take me for example. I've been smoking for about 3 years now. I used to smoke Kool Kings. Yes, btw, I AM the only white guy who smoked them in history I've tried smoking just about everything except for crack. I'm not a real man like Bolty.

Anyway, where am I going with this....

I just don't understand how people get addicted. And I'm being totally serious here. I have a very erratic way of smoking. I used to smoke a pack a day and sometimes I still do. Other times, I go weeks and months without smoking. I'm not addicted to or dependent on cigarettes, and I really don't know why. Seems like after all the smoking I've done I should be dead even now!

And I should be dead also for making posts that keep no continuing train of thought.

In closing, I'd just like to say, life is too short to worry about what chemicals and poisons you're smoking, so don't ever quit once you start.

I'd also like to make a recommendation to any smokers or people who wish to smoke. Don't smoke fuscking Pall Malls or Newports or any of that other shixt. Seriously....

ONLY SMOKE DJARIUM IMPORTED CLOVE CIGARETTES. They don't taste like crazp and they smell rather nice.

NOTE: Clove cigarettes are more hazardous to your health than standard cigarettes. Additionally, if you smoke cloves, quitting smoking tends to be easier.

WTF am I doing.... ugh... like I said, no continuing line of thought. wtf, I said "in closing" like 10 lines ago and I'm still typing. I always do that shixt. dumb vamp. I'm going to play with my 200 MA on NW Beta now. cya bye.
    Pfft, the GMs and ARKs aren't rid of me yet! Back for a third round, in this corner, we have Vamp. Weighing in at a buck-fiddy and lovin' all the bitties.

Donations to the "Why Did Vamp Give All His Gearz Away" fund are now being accepted. Either that, or a friendly hello.

Did you remember to inhale?

If you did then it looks like you've got a synaptic disorder. Congrats.

/G13
    pirates. with lasers.

XXX - N

What a baka baka question -_-

Synaptic disorder?

K. Thx, Gene. Doc, add that to the list of my disorders and other issues.
    Pfft, the GMs and ARKs aren't rid of me yet! Back for a third round, in this corner, we have Vamp. Weighing in at a buck-fiddy and lovin' all the bitties.

Donations to the "Why Did Vamp Give All His Gearz Away" fund are now being accepted. Either that, or a friendly hello.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12