Thread: Staying in character and roleplaying discussed

Staying in character and roleplaying discussed

Ladies, Gentlemen, and Atrox, I'd like us to discuss different methods for staying in character and roleplaying in general. If we can get enough ideas here, I'll compile them and try to get funcom to add it to their faq page or something.

My personal pet peeve is people sending me /tells when I'm right next to them. I can't stand it when I have 3 people standing around me waiting for their turn for me to assemble their implants and one of them decides to send me a /tell asking how much I charge right as I'm replying with directions to someone else(halfway around the world) on how to get to where I'm at. Everyone complains that the world is dead and there is no one to roleplay with, but I think the real problem is that people are overusing the /tell command. If everyone would just talk in the vicinity channel when they are in town, then there is all sorts of possibilities that could occur. It wouldn't bother me at all if funcom completely disabled the /tell command to anyone that is in your vicinity range. Make it into a /mutter command that could possibly be overheard by those around you like the MUDs used to have.

Next point, stop all the shouting! I guess the 2 more keystrokes from /s to /say is just too much for some people, but if your deliberately trying to have a conversation with someone standing in front of you and they are shouting back at you, then it just degrades the whole immersive aspect.

My last thing I can think of to help everyone stay in character is to quit complaining about the bugs all the time. It's really hard to get your mind set to be your character when everyone around you, on your guild channel, shopping channel, etc are talking about things that do not exist in Rubi-Ka.

One person taking up these rules can not make a difference, but if enough people will adopt these guidelines then we can truly become citizens of Rubi-Ka. Please help me to think of any more ideas, and to spread this amongst your friends and even your enemies you meet as you travel across our beautiful sandy red planet.

/w command

The whisper command (/w) sounds like the mutter command you mentioned.

But anyways, as for people using the /s command, I totally agree. If you are shouting at someone first see if it's appropriate. If they are a bit off in the distance, on the edge of your vision almost, shout at them! If you are expressing emotions like anger Shout it! Use it as a roleplaying element, not just a shortcut. Besides, you can just hit enter and a text box will appear without the /, not like a backspace won't cure that anyway.....