Thread: Moving while rooted(exploit, bug)?

Moving while rooted(exploit, bug)?

I have noticed some ppl in pvp that move while beeing rooted, avoiding the effect of roots by jumping in some manner, what is this, bug or exploit? Or are roots just not intended to work un rabbits?
    Hermy
    Shadelore
    Retired.

Bug. You'll notice it in pvm too--a mob will have the root or snare graphic but will not be affected. Similarly, you may have the root or snare graphic on yourself and even show it as running in your ncu but you are not affected. I haven't ever seen a consistent way to reproduce the effect, although it seems far more likely to happen if the nano was cast while the target was moving.
    Bugoluv--200 nt, atlantean

Also known as resisting.
    Suupaslap Master 10th Dan--Rk2
    Smugglerguy Ickle baby fixer--Rk2

yes, it's a bug.
    it also has nothing to do with resisting. the target doesn't get the graphical web if it resists.

if a mob is out of sync (sliding around without actually `running') due to a flubbed snare, warping, mez, whatever, the root or snare will typically not stick. the web shows, the nano executes successfully, but the mob slides around full speed... snares stick best if the mob is standing still when you cast. roots stick better than snares when the mob is moving, but are also unreliable at best. you can simply never guarantee (even taking fumbles/counters into account) that a root or snare will stick, especially in a laggy/glitchy mission.

as far as pvp goes, when someone breaks your snare/root with thrown obj incomp or whatever, the web tends to linger. sometimes it disappears after a few seconds, sometimes it lasts a full minute or two. the jumping you see may just be someone testing whether or not the root has successfully broken...who knows. jumping doesn't give a bonus to nanores that i'm aware of, but given some of the...interesting decisions made by the developers, it may very well be the case...

sometimes when you blackhole a root or snare, the client still draws the web on the target (perhaps because it thinks the nano executed successfully and the server did not say otherwise?). there are a lot of reasons why you may see mobs and players running around while wearing the webs. fc has deemed the breaking of roots/snares by executing hostile nanos in one's own ncu not an exploit, at least until they come up with a `better way' to avoid them in pvp and pvm.

as an added note, snares on outdoor mobs now appear to be breaking from damage about as easily as roots. this has been observed by many people which leads me to believe it's not just me hallucinating.. this is yet another problem on the long list of 14.6 issues. please fix this funcom.

Nono, I mean the ppl doing this are avoiding the effect of the roots by JUMPING in some way, not any of the other "lingering" effects or resists, they jump around like rabbits, and move at normal speed it seems, heading ye old zone while beeing for all purposes rooted, or even constantly chainrooted...
    Hermy
    Shadelore
    Retired.

Easy solution? Remove the roots from the game until they get a working way of breaking them back in the game!

actually if you ate in the sitting position when rooted you can stand back up and move around as normal. Or at least it was a while ago. Use to come in handy in camelot
    Mick "Nugget" McMullet - Level 220 - AL 16

Webmaster of AO Soldiers

"There are other things in my life I need to take care of (I can mention food, sleep, latex... uhm, no, wait!)" - Cz woot!

Ok, so is the root/snare not landing at all because they're jumping? In that case, I tend to go with SuupaSayen, it's just a resist and they're jumpin for fun (yes, I note that Hermy says not resists, but I just wanna be real clear). Or is the root/snare succeeding--that is, no countered message and a web graphic on the target, but they're still moving around? If that's the case, then what I said--sometimes everything happens successfully except the actual root/snare effect. If you've seen someone who's been able to reproduce this effect consistently, then, yes, that would tend to scream exploit.

Oh yes, the buggers were rooted real good, but started jumping away like little bunnies. Seen quite a few clanenrs doing it when I rooted them, so it must be quite common...
    Hermy
    Shadelore
    Retired.

Also of obvious importance given the root/snare changes with 14.6--did you see this happening pre-patch?

I am talking prepatch yes, havent even dared to zone postpatch, less fight anything with all the bugs....What rootchanges in this patch, didnt say anything about it in postnotes?
    Hermy
    Shadelore
    Retired.