Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Some PvP tweaking coming up in The Notum Wars

Re: Some PvP tweaking coming up in The Notum Wars

Originally posted by Belith
    Hello everyone!

I wanted to drop by and leave a couple of notes about PvP and what we are currently working on with The Notum Wars. As PvP will be a big part of The Notum Wars we sat down and looked at how PvP works today, which profession is best in PvP and which profession needs a boost. In some cases we wanted a certain profession to be especially proficient at taking out one other profession. I will give you an example of this. The NT will be the fixer killer and he/she will get a special nuke that will be very effective against fixers in grid armor.

PvP battles in The Notum Wars are meant to revolve around tactics where characters of a certain profession will need to take out characters of another specific profession as soon as possible. I won’t go into more details here, but I believe you get the general idea.

See you on the battlefield!
    Bah whatever.

Fixers kill all with maxxed NR. If all we are will be humid buffing, fixer killing, non-defensive weaklings I will be out of here faster then you can cast Last Word (that'll give me a day or two)

Re: Re: Some PvP tweaking coming up in The Notum Wars

Originally posted by Mbutu

So there is gonna be a nano ressist debuff now?
    Nah, there always has to be some weak reason for us to be around.

Everyone and their mother know that at full defense and maxxed and implanted NR, our 130% resist nukes will be countered almost every time. Surely enough for us to dropped in an alpha and crit.

That's right take the class that already eats Fixers for lunch then give them something to kill Fixers specifically...

huh?

Rock, Paper, Scissors, hmmm looks like funcom decided to give up on making interesting and unpredictable gameplay.

Looks like funcom found being creative a bit difficult, so they are now trying to make AO play like every other game out there.
    Last edited by Nanitehandler; Nov 4th, 2002 at 22:55:38.

my impression of a fixer on these boards when my prof is mentioned: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

you still have GA, you still can evac in 1 sec.........and you may get a new item/nano........jebus, wah wah wah, you cry already and haven't even seen what it's like yet

All that noise coming from someone named tantrum.

Hello everyone!

I wanted to drop by and leave a couple of notes about PvP and what we are currently working on with The Notum Wars. As PvP will be a big part of The Notum Wars we sat down and looked at how PvP works today, which profession is best in PvP and which profession needs a boost. In some cases we wanted a certain profession to be especially proficient at taking out one other profession. I will give you an example of this. The NT will be the fixer killer and he/she will get a special nuke that will be very effective against fixers in grid armor.

PvP battles in The Notum Wars are meant to revolve around tactics where characters of a certain profession will need to take out characters of another specific profession as soon as possible. I won’t go into more details here, but I believe you get the general idea.

See you on the battlefield!

Meby soldiers need a boost ...
    Infamine 200 soljah

Originally posted by Nanitehaxxor

Looks like funcom found being creative a bit difficult, so they are now trying to make AO play like every other game out there.
    I have to agree here. No 1 on 1 battle between classes should be a sure thing.

I'd prefer a focus in PvP that involves more player strategy. For example: using terrain as cover, being able to lie prone and shoot for defensive bonus, player made shields to guard another player (defend the healer, take the hit) and so on.

Originally posted by Sent

I'd prefer a focus in PvP that involves more player strategy. For example: using terrain as cover, being able to lie prone and shoot for defensive bonus, player made shields to guard another player (defend the healer, take the hit) and so on.
    Exactly. Someone hit Funcom with the reality stick.

The guy putting rocks in a catapult vs. a knight on horseback.
    A field medic vs. a Navy SEAL.
    An enemy cargo plane vs. a F-15.

I don't know about you guys, but those are real life situations that are sure things.

But only because they are taken out of context. You cannot solo out pieces in a chess game for one on one battle if the ultimate objective is strategic gameplay.

Doctors for example should do jack for damage, yet have incredible healing skills. Almost an EXACT opposite of soldiers ability to do jack for healing, yet have nice alpha strikes. Traders should not be able to do that much damage. They should be there to augment other classes. Soldiers should be able to offer themselves as meatshields doing damage and nothing else. Engineers should be able to build temporary walls, fences, dig moats, and other things to improve terrain advantage. A bureaucrat's presence should lift morale and add significant offensive and defensive bonuses.

Some of these things are in effect today, some are not. But my point is that a classes' worth should be measured in context. Not in singular combat.

If we are to pursue a truly team-oriented game.

Originally posted by Novalia
    All that noise coming from someone named tantrum.
    name makes sense doesn't it then?....... you should change yours to retardation

Re: Re: Some PvP tweaking coming up in The Notum Wars

Originally posted by Infamine
    Meby soldiers need a boost ...
    According to the original post, "In some cases we wanted a certain profession to be especially proficient at taking out one other profession". Soldiers already have this vs. NT It's three little buttons clearly labled.. Burst, Fling, Full Auto. Also known as an alpha. Alpha usually == dead NT.
    Waithe 133 Enforcer (my new main character)
    Nediar 180 Nano-Technician (boring. semi-retired)
    Uberned 127 Meta-Physicist (retired. pet pathing is "teh sux")

Nediar @ level 171

The NT will be the fixer killer and he/she will get a special nuke that will be very effective against fixers in grid armor.
    You give a dog something so that it can kill a cat better?
    You are giving NTs a Nanoshutdown (targetprof Fixer)?
    You are giving NTs massive Dots (targetprof Fixer)?
    You are giving NTs Depressive and Ransack (targetprof Fixer)?

We had a short dicussion about that on RK3, above arguments came from a fixer. And I think she was right.

Seriously, NTs already have not that big problems with Fixers (not in my levelrange).
    Last edited by Sihirbaz; Nov 5th, 2002 at 02:09:03.
    Sihirbaz original level 200 NT of Die Neue Welt
    Proud member of Black Thorns

None of it will matter if the game environment containing our characters isn't directly alterable by the players (i.e. building outposts, bases, etc...). We will get to put up Towers in Notum Wars, and only in designated areas no less (areas where Notum is plentiful I would imagine)....

None of it will matter unless that very same game environment contains something which utilizes the specialized abilities of all 12 professions in the context of PvP....

None of it will matter because AO is an animated representation of some card game where the winner is usually the person with the best cards...not necessarily the one that knows how to use them best....

None of it will matter til all zones are 25%....

...and most of all, none of it will matter if you put 60 people in the same area and most of the pings in the group jump up past 10000......
    .: Naraya :.

Originally posted by Vegan
    Belith,

As it is now Fixers just evacuate when they see a NT in the battlefield. What will stop them from doing that in Notum Wars?
    This is a tactic. Not an uberness. Evac'ing is a way to live to fight another day. It is all about tactics.

Hello everyone!

MP's in this game are a joke. Notum Wars makes them even more of a joke if they are expected to PvP. Want to see a lvl100 Martial Artist kill my demon solo?

Do the Engineers and MP's get seperate playfield where they can fight each other all alone. The loser zone.

I have mixed feelings here

First of all, I have mixed feelings on this. While I do believe strongly that certain professions "should" do better against certain other professions, I also feel that PvP as it currently exists is fubar.

All of the professions have valid concerns about how they PvP, what advantages they have, what disadvantages they have, and how things weigh against what weapons/defenses they choose because of limited IP. Having to spend IPR points to fix a choice that turns bad due to a new design or implementation is a great concern.

Rather than jump on the bandwagon and say I dislike it, I would really enjoy seeing exactly what the designers are thinking about the current state and even moreso what vision they see with regards to current PvP and how it works within Notum wars.

I've also been wondering just how many of the designers actually play the game for an extended time, how many have characters over 100th or even over 150th for that matter, and whether or not they take all of what we say into consideration before making the changes.

Originally posted by Pumpkin
    MP's in this game are a joke. Notum Wars makes them even more of a joke if they are expected to PvP. Want to see a lvl100 Martial Artist kill my demon solo?

Do the Engineers and MP's get seperate playfield where they can fight each other all alone. The loser zone.
    you are entering a new dimension.................a world beyond time and space.....................there's a sign post up ahead......................you have entered........THE LOSER ZONE!

And I see the sign 'Losers enter here' and I sit down and log out. And I go to character creation and make a Martial Artist. And I play him and groups want him and he actually makes damage. And I will post on the forum and FunCom will listen. And Notum Wars will come and I will have a purpose. (Edit: this is what really happened for me. Eyes open to a profession that has life.)

I am not a loser. I am not longer an MP. I see that my time was wasted and will waste no more time. When the next game comes I will not have all my money in the toilet. Some fun will be had.

This is what they do.

I'm sure FC will choose the easy way out and make soldiers the Engineer killers.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast