Thread: Science Conference on Rubi-Ka -- poll for interest

Exclamation Science Conference on Rubi-Ka -- poll for interest

I'm thinking Rubi Ka's first (to my knowledge) interdisciplinary science conference, to happen perhaps in January?

Are you interested to attend?

Would you like to make a presentation? I will send out an official call for papers if first impression indicates that there is interest.

I can more or less promise two presentations by myself. One theoretical/philosophical, about science in general on Rubi Ka, and, since I seem to be delving into the mission system now, perhaps something about that.

All disciplines are welcome.

((I figure this to be about 50% RP and 50% real game info, technical or otherwise. That is, it's ok to hold a non-technical presentation. Anthropology anyone? Or to make stuff up completely, if you get any good ideas.))

EDIT:
    Maybe start on RK1 and then do it on RK2 as well if we get good feedback. Most people have or can make an alt on the other server, and scripts can be used with any char.

As for factions, I have signalled from day one that science knows no borders and that scientific progress can't be stumped by political conflicts. I.e., all factions are welcome, and the general attitude should be of cooperation between scientists, and not competition between factions. There is competition in science too, but on different premises than in politics.
    Last edited by Kronocide; Nov 4th, 2002 at 16:39:10.

I'm certainly interested.

Whether I attended would very much depend on the location and security arrangements. I wouldn't make a decision until I knew more about the event.

Some knowledge should certainly cross faction boundaries...

Who are you and what are your affiliations? What is your area of study, and where did you gain your qualifications?

Regards

Hirunda

I may similarly be interested, and would probably contribute something about the "dismal science" (economics).

I agree with Hirunda...more details would be nice.

Thanks for responding so quickly.

About me:
    I am an inhabitant of Tir on Rubi-Ka 2 since 6 months back. I'm a long-time student of science theory, or the philosophy of science, and I follow the progression of scientific knowlegde, as well as of the scientific community, here on Rubi-Ka with great interest. I'm mainly a theoretician, but have taken up the study of Rubi-Ka's mission system, as theoreticians need practical experience too.

My very first notes can be seen here:
    http://utterly.org/mission_types.xls

The science conference initiative involves Tenfour, of Athen RK1, to an equal extent, and coincidentally, he shares my background completely. Which is probably why we work so well together.

This is the first time I post on this board, I have been more active on the AO Vault board:
    http://vnboards.ign.com/board.asp?brd=5216

If this poll provokes some positive responses, I will send out a call for papers. I will make sure that we have several months for preparations. Special invitations will be sent to individuals who have already distinguished themselves in the spiring science community of Rubi-Ka.

After that we will send out invitations on a larger scale, with a tentative program.

Even though I have noticed with some interest that neutrals on Rubi-Ka often seem to comprise yet another faction, rather than being a neutral party in the conflict, I'm leaning towards having the conference on neutral ground. Measures will be taken to ensure the physical, if not emotional, safety of the participants and guests. Verbal assault, alas, is part of academia, regardless of faction or planet.

Please, if there is already an organized scientific movement on Rubi-Ka, I would be greatful to hear of it. Don't want to step on any toes. Also, I will be collecting names of distinguished scientists as the preparations proceed. There is already a list but additions will most probably be necessary. Please send suggestions directly to me: kronocide@utterly.org.

Thank you!

I like the idea a lot. If this thing goes ahead I'll endevor to contribute a discussion paper or something.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

Thanks for the responses so far. I will make sure to keep you guys posted on developments.

In the meantime, a word from our sponsor.

If you don't want to become a Scientist out of the urge to spend all of your hard-blitzed money recording every parameter setting on the mission terminals, do it as a fashion statement!

P R E S E N T I N G

The Official Scientist Outfit

http://utterly.org/official_scientist_outfit.html

(Female Version Coming Soon)

What, no neuter version? The last thing you need is a hoarde of Atrox barreling down on you for excluding them.....

...otherwise, not bad. Never been too big a fan of the full-length, ballroom gown, though

Dammit where's my little black dress....

Just tell me where and when and I'll be there.
    k- This message has been reviewed by intrusive goons searching for "evil-doers".

I am interested. I would love to present my information on extraterrorestrial science and ancient history. History is my second passion side from the medical field

I will also have others in my Department give presentations as long as we are given prompt notice on when and where this meeting will be held. Side from that note, where WILL it be held? I always would love to see it in my home town of Rome, but for conflicts sake, I think maybe....Borealis? I am sure there are plenty of facilities there capable of holding an audience of 15-20+ people.

Please send a message to my personal comm unit /tell Haminie and I can help you with some details. I'm a crackerjack planner
    Olivia "Haminie" Nguyen - Current Setup - 220 Doctor
    "Intrauterine" Device - Current Setup - 220 Shade

Haminie - Slightly less than twice as uber as Chanelle

To [Destromane]: I'm not a horrible player ;p
    [Destromane]: just a horrible person

silly little bump...

Anything happening with this Kronocide?

((Sorry about the delay. I haven't played much since 14.6 came out. Not giving up or anything, just cooling it until things stabilize a bit--I'm going back in for real after 14.7 next week. I'll post an update as soon as I'm back in the game.))

I will compile a list of people who have expressed interest so far, and try to find a more private forum for those who want to help out with planning the event.

I hope you're still interested. The need for a forum where Rubi-Ka scientists can exchange ideas and knowledge in an organized fashion feels as urgent to me as ever. After the latest "fluctuations in the force" maybe more urgent then ever before.

I for one have seen indications that most or all of my research with regards to Rubi-Ka's intricate mission system will have to be redone from scratch. In fact, I'm working on a new methodology that is slower, but that automatically compensates for sudden changes in the underlying logic of the system. Hopefully I will have more on that in time for the conference.

Thanks for your patience, and please contribute any ideas you may have. I'm usually cooped up with my books on ancient science theory by Popper and Kuhn, and have very little experience in arranging events. Only the urgency of the matter has forced me out of my library.

You should hold it at the ICC as a non-sided function, where peaceful scientists get together to discuss things.

Oh, yeah, and bring lots of sammiches!

Hi again,

There is now an official Rubi-Ka Science Conference forum. If you find the idea intriguing, please go there and see if you can contribute something, or just to check it out.

Rubi-Ka Science Conference forum

All disciplines from nano technology to event planning are needed!
    Tenfour, Scienceleet, Abhaya, all on Atlantean
    AO Stuff

Thumbs up

I would be interested in attending a conference. Get a solid date and I'll see if I can make it, or have a representative from my department attend.
    Vice President Cristin "Jypsie" Kaba
    Division 9 : Rational Science and Genotype Enforcement
    R.S.G.E Division 9

Webster is your friend.

You who consider yourselves actors and performers,
    if you play a compelling tune the people will dance.
    - Leetraider

Science Conference

I would be interested in submitting a paper but given your website and guest list you have more than enough for a two hour conference.

I should like more information on paper requirements, length of them, how they will be presented et cetera as well as confirmation for a neutral location.

Either way presenter or attendee I would be interested in the result.

I would be interested in attending as well. Although I most likely will only come for the sammiches

Please count me in *smiles*

Probably a socio-political-scientific paper on the tendency of humans to fight.

-Barlau

(ooc: that, or my adventurer will be doing a presentation on the rare subspecies of reets, the Cobalt Reet)
    "Dixie" - Young adventurer, anthropologist, marketing rep for R.U.R.

Kiyoko "Barlau" Grebel - Martial Artist, PR Director, Law Society of Rubi-Ka