Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please people!

I never really bother to proof read my own posts due to the fact that I have already tought at what i should write, and im not gonna read it again (im not a self masturbating bastard that likes reading my own words over and over like many others do)
    So why all the extra effort writing good and propper english when 99.9% of what is written here is total junk ? (with all respect to the 0.1% posts that do actually contain usefull information).

If people think im dumb, stupid, got low iq and so on due to the fact that they think my written english skills sucks.. well good for them, if it makes their life easyer, be my guest. I dont bother trying to proove them wrong
    Operation impending doom 2 seems to have started with patch 15.6.5
    12.6 first contact, 14.6 second attempt, 16.6 Invasion of the gabber bots ?
    Old and bitter player, currently playing: Justincase GA4 wearing phix0r
    Originally posted by Cz
    I already saw this thread, but refrained from answering due to the pleasant show of confidence from Lumin.
    Sing a song for FunCom

About time someone tried to help out the soon-to-be-extinct oxford english :P

Well, I do agree with you Evilspork, an increasingly amount of people have been so used to abusing apostrophes that the incorrect way of using them is about to set the new standard for the english language. And as in my opinion, the correct usage is much better, I'd say that people ought to make a little effort in learning to type correctly. This may not be as important in a game like AO, but i don't think any of you players out there can say that you will never need to write in correct english(or american) ever, like if you should apply for a job. Learning the incorrect usage of an important character as the apostrophe in a game like this would most likely have influence on your regular english as well.

It is well known that an increasingly amount of students have contractions that is not yet accepted as official contractions, in essays and school papers, and this have a negative influence on the grades. The main reason for this is the so-called SMS-language (and the language used on IRC for that sake), which consists mostly of conractions and acronyms.

So do yourself a favor and learn it while you're still young. When it comes to my grammatical errors in this text, i would be glad to accept corrections :P
    (haven't had english at school for ages, and it is my second language..)

Suggestion: run your posts through spellcheck?
    Spewing truth from every orifice.
    Fixanox - Member of Eternal Fury.
    Cronoco

Wink

As a suffering English major, I can relate to both the difficulties in practicing perfect English and in reading sloppy English. The latter really bugs me though--I can't help but cringe every time I see the written word messed up, even in emails or informal messages such as these boards. Once you turn on that English grammar switch, you can never turn it off. It's a curse really, especially since one's own writing will never be perfect (or even good by strict grammarian and stylistic standards).

(Hmmm, is AO so boring that we have opted to discuss grammar via message board instead of playing the game?) :-)

Originally posted by Zeema

(Hmmm, is AO so boring that we have opted to discuss grammar via message board instead of playing the game?) :-)
    No, i think you'll find that Work is so boring that we have opted to discuss grammar via message board instead of working.

If i could play right now I'd be doing it
    --Rookie Teh "Wobble" Sux----------------------- AKA-----------------------Pirate "Ninjapirate" Dog--
    -+Legion+-
    WTB ATI T&L fix, h8 D3D.

Originally posted by Dominata
    All of you that has to see correct grammar in a post are making one of the most basic mistake that we humans are prone to do... Judging by appearance and not by actual content.
    It is a shallow and immature way of judging the worth of what is being actually said, it is also a sign of a lack of empathy and understanding for other people and their circumstances.
    It is actually called arrogance. I would even venture forth and add ****-retentive, narrow-minded, stick up the ass, etc. But I'm too nice.

I also find it highly amusing when self-puported holier-then-though english snobs claim they can not understand broken english. I believe most of us have had grammar drilled in to our heads. Yet, some of us can't seem to broaden our minds beyond what Ms. Jacobsen, the english teacher, taught us to be prim and proper. Apparantly swallowing our pride over being such expert grammarians, and using our intuition is too much.

The sad thing is, these snobs can understand just fine. But to shore up whatever own insecurities they hold, they claim they can't. Many times they will throw in snide remarks merely to bolster their own precious self at the expense of that horrible dirty subhuman person who dared to deviate from the righteous slap of the New England slide rule of Proper English Grammar.

I'm sad to see that this particular thread was started by Sporky. He was a good soul, and now I am forced to ask, 'Ebay?'

Smile

My first language isn't english, so this post will probably include some misspellings or "wrong" words. However, I try to get my english as correct as possible, and it annoys me when I can't understand what people are saying simply because of laziness. "Battle-english" is different, just to be clear on that point, but I _hate_ the "how r u" english, and never use it. However; I have to accept that there are people out there, who have big problems when it comes to spelling. Not because they are lazy or stupid, maybe they are dyslectic. You never know. So keep an open mind, you might miss out on a lot of very intelligent, and nice people by being impatient
    Retired, and on my way out. Kicking and screaming

Yep, that other guy sold his level 11 fixer for $100, I couldn't resist such a great deal!

And again, I UNDERSTAND THAT THIS IS AN INFORMAL FORUM. I UNDERSTAND AO CHAT IS INFORMAL!!!

Just in case: I UNDERSTAND THAT THIS IS AN INFORMAL FORUM. I UNDERSTAND AO CHAT IS INFORMAL!!!

What I said (more than once, I think) was that I hate people who use apostrophes and screw them up, when I *know* they know better. I don't mind people who don't use them; it's informal, remember? I also know English isn't many peoples' language in AO, and also for many people I know in real life. I admire people who are trying to learn another language, especially English, the rat's nest of the world.

I can understand bad grammar, too... eventually. And... usually. I don't pretend to not understand someone, unless I'm joking around. But it's not automatic, it's generally a puzzle I have to put together to try to figure out WTF the person is saying. And I can usually tell if a person is a native (lazy) speaker or a non-native speaker, and make allowances.

Again, my beef is with people who I *know* know better and are too lazy to do it right, both with apostrophes and grammar in general.
    Originally posted by Whaambulance
    Hi.

This is singlehandedly the stupidest post I have EVER read on these forums. Congradulations.
    'Balancing' Nanos Will Remain Imbalanced Vs. Old Nanos - Because We Said So!

O Gaute, Gaute! Wherefore art thou Gaute?
    Deny thy nerfs and refuse thy lame design decisions;
    Or, if thou wilt not, be but on the forums,
    And I'll no longer be a whiner.

Smile

As I said earlier; language-lazy people suck I agree
    Retired, and on my way out. Kicking and screaming

everyonelookatmei'mnotusinganycapsorspaces.sohawha tnowbigatroxmaniamtehubah1337maandescendedfromthes tarswhousesthephateztubatwinkestfixereveryawhatnow i'mfromamericatoolazyspeakerindahouse.booya.editfo rmakingthispostooba.
    Last edited by Cronos; Nov 11th, 2002 at 02:35:26.
    Cronoco

You used a space after both your smily and after the question mark. And if you had any dedication at all, you wouldn't have used any punctuation at all.

In short, you = teh suck.
    Originally posted by Whaambulance
    Hi.

This is singlehandedly the stupidest post I have EVER read on these forums. Congradulations.
    'Balancing' Nanos Will Remain Imbalanced Vs. Old Nanos - Because We Said So!

O Gaute, Gaute! Wherefore art thou Gaute?
    Deny thy nerfs and refuse thy lame design decisions;
    Or, if thou wilt not, be but on the forums,
    And I'll no longer be a whiner.

*starts checking his english paper due tomorrow*

I hope you know what you're saying..

me= teh sorry
    Cronoco

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12