Thread: Lessons to be learnt from Halloween

Lessons to be learnt from Halloween

The basic idea was sound, however, the implementation was not all it could have been. The Uncle Pumpkinhead MOBs should have been somewhat more plentiful and found in every non-city zone at apropriate levels for that zone. They should always have dropped something of interest loot-wise, which does not mean they should all have dropped some unique or special item.

Maybe the 'special' loot should have been some sort of themed one-shot item such as 'A Pumpkin Lantern' which could cast a special fear nano on use capable of scaring off any one MOB (that didn't otherwise have immunity). That may seem powerful but being one-shot they'd not hang around foever, so their one-use naure would have balanced the power. I'm sure other suitable ideas could have been thought of.

The special loot items that did sometimes drop were an interesting idea combined with the low spawn rates did rather lead to camping and kill-stealing which I think we can all agree are bad. There isn't any easy answer to that if you want to put rarer items into an event like this, but perhaps having two different types of MOB, one which drops more normal loot and is quite common, and another which always drops something unusual but is rarer. That way people who just want to have fun can go and hunt any of the MOBs but people looking for the unusual loot will only be interested in the second type and be likely to leave the more common MOB type alone as it would have nothing of any interest to them.

This is where something like the so-called dynacamps could work well, if they were actually dynamic. Every playfield would have 25-50 invisible placeholders and every playfield would have a spawn rate and maximum cpacity for the dynacamps. Every time a new spawn was due, if there were already the maximum number of bosses, nothing would happen, but if bosses had ben killed, a new camp would spawn at one of the placeholders picked at random that did not already have a boss. The boss would be of a type and level suitable to that placehlder (a placeholder would have several types that could spawn, and a range of levels they could spawn in). Once a boss was killed, the camp itself would be despawned after a short delay and any remaining minions not in combat would also despawn.

More events like this are welcome, but desgning them well (and where necessary changing the game) should be considered a priority for a future patch. Adding greater flexibility in dynamic content should be considered essential to the game's future, and would allow more interactivity between the player's and the 'story' with less effort on Funcom's part than currently seems to be the case.

And, to steal an idea from some other bloke, come xmas, bring back the pumpkin heads..
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

Also, I think that the campin sorta got to some people...
    Lots of cussin and yellin at each other over people comin in. One of my guild mates (a lvl 90ish NT) came in and was gonna area nuke lvl 10 pumpkins to get some glasses, and i got an insane ammount of hate tells, sayin that i ruined all of their chances and that they will never get their glasses. It was sad.

And then there's people like me who only had a couple hours to wander around and didn't know the exact spawn locations ahead of time. I got to find one pumpkin, killed him (which rocked...memories!) and got...223 credits

Very cool idea, and I love the feel of AO on Halloween. But really, it just illustrates how many more campers there are in this game than there ever were before. I feel for Funcom because they must have to spend a lot of time figuring out how to outwit campers because you people just love it so much!
    Clan fixer, Fourth Title

Director of Information
    Analog Myth

I was a little upset I must confess, when my team had a pumpkin down to 50%. One of those uber ones in Mort with 300,000 HP. and Boco tells his team to start attacking it and kill steal it.

Not only did he deny the whole thing, even though one of his teammates told me, he shows me a pair of those glasses afterwards.

I mean that's just mean. I didnt get anything and it's not about the loot, I had so much fun

But, I think it's mean what he did.

If you had it down to 50%, they couldn't killsteal from you.

And yes, it -is- for the loot. Would you spent time up there killing em if they didn't have ANY loot? ... Mmmm-No!
    Pfft!
    Rubi-Ka's FiRST Neophyte Enforcer - Holder of Spoon - Stirring the pot - Pumpkin' Pie anyone?
    >Wo "Caol" Ha - 187 ENF | >Thzunami - 97 MA | >Wo "Dioxy" Ha - 30 TRA | In memory of The Council

Jayde's Item Database - All you'll ever need - http://aodb.info

"BACK AWAY" - Pogobear / Skymarshal

It's people like you who are slowly pissing off enough people to make them leave AO. Just because the PHs drop some damn loot doesnt mean that everyone killing them was looking for the loot.

I personally enjoyed killing spwan after spawn of pumpkins, reciving only a ql 11 FA, just to take part in the event. Not everyone has to have a motive... games are made for fun...

Spizmack - Fighting the mission monotony through submission

You know, once upon a time, people actually did kill things for reasons other than loot. Some of these reasons included: experience, fun, challenge, adventurous spirit, etc. In fact, the original pumpkinheads didn't have any loot. You maybe got the Teddy Bear that let you into the dungeon, but the pumpkinheads were cool all on their own and fun to fight. I still haven't even been in the Steps of Madness yet but I was out there fighting pumpkins last year too...you know, because it was fun.

Say it a few times, it has a nice ring to it..."fun"
    Clan fixer, Fourth Title

Director of Information
    Analog Myth

Had a great time

I thought Uncle Pumkinhead was just great. I killed a few with both characters and got very little. I knew where the spawns were from last year and traveled to all I could remember. I saw them at every location I went to. If people were already engaged in the battle I left them alone and moved on.

I would like to comment on the kill stealing. Uncle Pumpkinhead is not so powerful that most can't solo it. So the excuses from the kill thieves "I was just helping out...., You were gonna die I saved you...." are pretty lame excuses that I heard. I saw no one die from a battle. Plainly I think it was just greed and a lack of courtesy on the part of those that butted in where they weren't wanted. I got my solo kills none the less. I got my chance like others. It was a fun night.

This is a big planet but I think we will all eventually run into the asses. Funny thing is its the same ones we eventually run in to in real life.

I hope I don't get banned for that. **Pushes submit button**
    "This town needs an enema!" The Joker, Jack Nicholson.

" I think I'll perplex him with my slowball" Bugs Bunny

Originally posted by Luxxan
    And then there's people like me who only had a couple hours to wander around and didn't know the exact spawn locations ahead of time. I got to find one pumpkin, killed him (which rocked...memories!) and got...223 credits

Very cool idea, and I love the feel of AO on Halloween. But really, it just illustrates how many more campers there are in this game than there ever were before. I feel for Funcom because they must have to spend a lot of time figuring out how to outwit campers because you people just love it so much!

You are wrong. NONE of us love it. none of us even REMOTELY like it.

We just do what we have to do to get what we want. I had much better4 things that I would have rather been doing. But, knowing Halloween is but once a year..... well, death to the pumpkin is all I have to say.
    Nitsobar - lvl 219/13 Doc - Equipment - Perks - History
    MrBruce - lvl 204/6 MA - Equipment - Perks - History
    MsHackalot - lvl 123/9 Twink Fixer - Equipment - Perks - History

Veterans of Synergy Factor

Click to email me

I wonder what Uncle Pumpkin-head and his minions will be like in the shadowlands? Scary thought.
    "This town needs an enema!" The Joker, Jack Nicholson.

" I think I'll perplex him with my slowball" Bugs Bunny

Sweet!

Uncle Pumpkinhead as an uber-boss in Shadowlands!

They should add uber shadowlands bosses for all the Dev's, too.
    --
    Kenlon- Combat Medic, RK1
    "This! Is! My! Boomstick!" Gear.

Creaky old vet, back for another go-round.

It's people with that attitude like that one person up there that embody everything that disgusts me about MMORPG's. 'I got mine and you didn't. Therefore, I'm better and you suck. That's what this game is all about. If you didn't suck, I couldn't feel uber. What's the point of having something if everybody else does too? Something isn't worth killing if it doesn't drop loot. If I got this unique loot, it best never drop again or I won't feel special anymore.' (Paraphrased ideology of the typical MMORPG 'achiever'.).

FunCom has been catering to these people and making everybody on the sidelines feel like idiots for sending in their payment every month. Tarasque fed to 100 people in the game and now the Pumpkin head fiasco.

I'll come up with a viable alternate to the Halloween mess that plays within the current limitations of the game when I have time and energy (still have no desire to log into the game since Thursday) and we'll see what would have left a larger feeling of happiness and holiday spirit after a halloween 'event' while still providing a sense of accomplishment. I have a feeling they got caught with their shorts down by 14.6 not being out on time and this thing was patched together with a heavy influence from one or more of the developers who seem to harbor the more sadistic tendancies towards what is 'fun' in a game like this (hopefully) over the protests of those in the Norway offices who knew the ill will this would cause. I also think the 'limited customer support notice' had something to do with this event in terms of how items got on the Pumpkinheads and why some of us got squat after killing 30 Pumpkins and others got Shades on every Pumpkin in a spawn.

Heads should most certainly roll at FunCom if they had invisible GM's spawning items in the Pumpkinhead's inventories and this wasn't all up to a chance draw from the Pumpkinhead's loot table. Best to just let all of us get implants and clusters and enjoy the holiday atmosphere than let it degrade into what it degraded into.

My idea for next year

Make all the pumpkin heads drop something REALLY uber... *BUT* make it temporary for the day of the event and NODROP (so noone would get duped into buying it, etc)...
    It would be kinda cool to have just one day where casual gamers could get some rare stuff to run around with... Just my idea, even if it's not a very good one
    Dalmatia - 207 Eng Board Member of The Vigil
    Rostislav - 180 Doc
    And more alts than I'd care to admit to
    1700 total dings and counting

Arrow

A variation of my 'one-shot' suggestion. Event MOBs such as the PHs should drop odd bits of loot. It should be cool stuff, themed to the event, and limited in application. And the MOBs should be fairly numerous.

Suggestions for things the PHs could have dropped...

Slice Of Pumpkin Pie (QL 1) UNIQUE
    Equip: LeftHand, RightHand
    Req: 1hB 12
    Effects: +2 Psychic
    Feasting on your victory, you feel your spirits lift...

Pumpkin Head Lantern (QL 70) UNIQUE
    Equip: None
    Req: Psychic 201, Psychology 120
    Effects: OnUse cast Dominate Foe, delete item
    You have conquered your fear, may your enemies pray to conquer their's...
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

Originally posted by Emiko
    I was a little upset I must confess, when my team had a pumpkin down to 50%. One of those uber ones in Mort with 300,000 HP. and Boco tells his team to start attacking it and kill steal it.

Not only did he deny the whole thing, even though one of his teammates told me, he shows me a pair of those glasses afterwards.

I mean that's just mean. I didnt get anything and it's not about the loot, I had so much fun

But, I think it's mean what he did.

i didnt mean to ks it, it was uber, and i only wanted to help

sorry

-boco
    Audaz
    Level 220/AI18 Vampire(RK1)
    Boco
    Level 212/AI14 Techno-Wizard (RK1)
    Advisor of Synergy Factor
    Founder/Former DJ, GridStream Productions

<Chanell> every time i see "this account will remain active" in some engis sig i hear a "cha-ching cha-ching"

Beardedone1++;

The thing that cracks me up over all the years I've played MMORPGs is that all of the people crying over not getting a Pumpkinhead are basically motivated by the same greed that the KSers feel.

Did you really need some stupid glasses so badly that you had to set yourself up for this frustration? And don't give me that malarkey about "Fun" and "Participating in the Event". Killing one monster over and over in one spot should not be your idea of Fun or Participating. If it is, you're fooling yourself.

You were really there for the excitement that some phat lewt would drop. Which makes you motivated by greed, just like all the others. The same people who scream about KSers are the people who camp their butts at a spawn site, and absolutely refuse to share with anyone. Mine! Mine! Mine!

Bottom line: if you denounce the greed that leads to people camping or KSing Pumpkinheads, then first look in a mirror and denounce it in yourself.

I personally went and did rolled up missions with some friends Halloween, and had a lovely evening. I don't have any "limited edition" shades, but that isn't my priority anyway.

Here's a thought FunCom... how about making "events" accessible to all instead of setting up this sort of camping/KSing nightmare. Oooh, maybe that's it. It was Halloween so this was supposed to be a scary nightmare, full of greed/anger/fear.

Bah!