Thread: Very abnormal (buggy) gameplay while morphed

Exclamation Very abnormal (buggy) gameplay while morphed

I was playing my pistol adventurer last night. I was in Tir city, and a higher-level adventurer decided to cast "Playful Cub" on me, which transformed ('morphed') me into a 2-headed wolf (this was the first time I had ever had this morph cast on any of my characters).

I noticed that being morphed into this form provides an increase in all damage types. I decided to do a quick mission. I entered the mission and started fighting.

While in the mission, I noticed several things about my combat with the MOBs that made me think that there are at least 2 serious issues that need to be examined (starting with the most important issue):

(1) Near the end of my first few fights, the MOB that I was fighting still displayed their health bar as having about 10% health left. Then I would get the "You received xxxx XP", "You can loot these remains", etc. messages, but the MOB was by all appearances still alive and well and fighting me. After about 5-10 seconds or so, the MOB would just flop over dead. After a few more fights, I then noticed that if I sat down with the MOB's health bar at 10% or so, the MOB usually died immediately and I got the XP and loot messages.

All of this is to say, it seems to me that being morphed as a Playful Cub causes some sort of serious client/server desynch to occur; by sitting down with what seemed to be a MOB that was near death, I forced the server to update me (I suppose that using a health kit or anything else that could force an update would have had a similar effect -- untested). Very disconcerting, to say the least. It was like that for the duration of the mission (since I decided to stay morphed and the morph outlasted the mission).

(2) The animation for the wolf was very(!) strange. I admit that it must be tricky to come up with a way to animate a 2-headed wolf dual-wielding pistols, although this is not about aesthetics. The main problem was that there did not seem to be an accurate correspondence between the times at which I fired my guns and the animation of doing so... the animation seemed to occur 2-4 seconds after the shots were fired, or the animation *did not occur at all*. This was observable both in 1st and 3rd person camera views. The net effect of this was that I felt like I wasn't actively engaged in combat most of the time. I was getting the "You hit xxxx for yyyy damage" messages, but it felt like I was detached from the combat experience. My feeling is that it's part of the desynch issue I mentioned above in (1).
    Last edited by Inyuendo; Nov 1st, 2002 at 04:28:15.

The Adventurer morphas have had problems for some time.

I am a soldier and only when I remove my gun, in (any morph) do i notice that the animations respond more acuratly o what I am doing.

I *think* funcom knowas about this problem, as some of the animations have improved....

No idea about your first Point tho...
    215 Solitus Soldier RK1
    Advisor Midnight Reveries.

Do politics exist? Yes.
    Who's involved in them? Anyone who wants to be.

If you spend your time worrying about what everyone else is doing in their lives, you'll miss what's happening in yours.