Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Hate Home :(

I did make that.
    ~~~~~
    Katelin "Missmaul" Locknane -Sloooowly climbing her way out of the dank pits of gimpness. But stil crazy. Ya know...just in case you cared.

Re: Re: sorry luxxan i do not agree to this

Originally posted by Luxxan

I'm talking farther back than this. I'm talking a few mission code iterations ago and Broken Shores completely out of the equation.

All this went away when you could suddenly get missions in Broken Shores. It's only a grid away and even has local save terminals. This was better than hunting or the camps. It was less fun, generic, routine and repetitive, but it was easier and so everyone did it...and still does. Team missions just made it even easier.
    well the question as to when exactly home missions got popular i cant answer that since i was umm taking a break from ao back then i remember missions that did not give you your own ql as reward unless you picked 100% hard lol.

what i do know however is that outdoor hunting was nerfed into oblivion and is still no alternative except for a handfull of low to medium level spots. it stands to reason that the pitifull loot and low spawn outdoors is what drove people to missions.

i do remember though that it took some time until the room to room tactics got known and popular but i agree - a mission dungeon is basically a flowchart eliminating most of the variables of the outdoor hunt.

and we all know that variety is the ****e of battle
    sept 03 - the day ao was keeled by sl.

gone now. byebye.

I'm Confused....

You hate BS Home, so you're calling for a nerf.

You think leveling is monotous so you're calling for a nerf.

I am currently level 184. I have done enough BS Home missions to make my eyes bleed, but that is MY choice. The teams I have been in are typically up for going anywhere, but we are a goal oriented team, so to ****e things up we take missions other places, pvp, hunt the primus camps, etc. When we want to level quickly and "somewhat" easier (avg mission lvl 202), we go to BS Home.

Instead of calling for a nerf, why don't you get some initiative and do something different?

As far as BS Home LAG, I have bad news for all the people that complain about it. I have little or NO lag in BS Home! EVER! No matter if there are 10 people or 60 people at the temple, I get no lag. The sad thing is, I used to have soooo much lag in BS Home I used to scream on my way to missions. The solution? I upgraded (read: built a new rig) my system. Seems like (In my case) the lag was on the client side.

Coag
    So, it's sorta social, Demented and SAD, but social.
    (The Breakfast Club)
    Coagulator - General of the Professionals

Here is what would pry most people out of Home, without nerfing anything:

A 30% to 50% experience increases in outdoors experience per kill. A 75% to 100% increase in outdoors boss experience.

Increased drop of rares such as rings, bracers, soul fragments, and instruction discs from all outdoors critters.

Special 'outdoors drop only loot' from dynacamp bosses that aren't level 300 and can be beaten in a single team. It doesn't have to be new, even, since items that were removed, such as FA 3927s and LLTS scopes, dropping very rarely from any given outdoors boss would be a powerful draw.

The removal of bosses from a number of camps and spawn areas so that they can be hunted more practically, and/or the lengthening of boss spawn timers in general, so we can spend more time hunting minions for experience and less time fanning their leader with our misses. "Nerfing" outdoors boss DMS in general would also be nice, but as long as they aren't spawning too often, can be overlooked.

In the mean time people who don't have a lot of time or who can't find a good outdoors spot to hunt would still have a very nice and highly viable "Home Missions" option for playing, unlike games like Everquest where overcamping of the most viable leveling areas was a far more serious impediment to advancement than NPC difficulty.
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

Its not so much home as it is the fact outdoor hunting just isnt any real fun.

In a mission its a controlled area, no need to worry about someone pulling a train onto you, or KS'ing you all the time or the agro that makes it so even things that con green can kill a team in no time at all.

Just recently I started a new alt, leveled her up in the normal places I have always done, Training area, then around Newland lake to about 12. The only missions I took were for items and not many since I could twink her. Head out to Newland oasis and what do I find a Bronto camp with a boss. The boss agros I die.
    Ok fine stay away from them and level up some and head out to the Rhino Cockpit, save at the camp run up to see whats there and bang a boss mammoth agros me and I die, ending up back at the whompas. Looks like its back to missions.

I cant count the number of times I have died out in Belial Forest and ended up at a reclaim in the middle of nowhere with a snake right on the pad that kills me again sending me to reclaim in lag central otherwise known as Tir.

Missions out in other places, great idea but when you have limited play time, its a pain to grid/fly to the middle of nowhere to run a mission.

And its not just the city of Home, I would bet that most people do just like me and always choose missions that are close or easy to get to.

As far as the Dyna camps go, the only thing these are usefull for is going in to wack the boss loot and go on. If FC had looked at the hunting spots like Rhino Cockpit or NW mines and scattered spawn sites like that across all playfields and level ranges then you would see a return of hunting for xp and missioning for items/money

I'm trying to figure out how things ruin the game. BS. Clicksaver. Etc.

In the end, you, that person sitting in front of that computer, dictate what you do in this game. If you dislike BS, like so many others who post and claim to, it shouldn't be that hard to find teams who are willing to do something else.

But the reality is that 95% of you just whine for the sake of whining. Proof? It is near impossible to find a group of people who are willing to xp somewhere else, despite the tons of people claiming to hate BS over the last two months. *snicker*

As boring as team missions are, they've eliminated the number one grief of MMPOGS. Overcamped mob spawns. Frankly, I'd rather Funcom boost team missions to be able to handle a multitude of dynamic enivornments. The traditional outdoor spawn with 20 people trying to outdamage each other for 1 mob is a thing of the past. Hopefully other games catch on.

Actually Zylina... and this is just my own experience in the last few months... I can build or join a team going to Home in 10 minutes or less.

If I try to build a team to go to Perpetual Wastelands I get two or three good friends, and some chuckles, the occasional "wtf, you an ebayer?" and a lot of "I only want to do missions thx" - even from people whose abilities are geared towards the outdoors, like pet users, rooters, and ranged-combat professions.

EDIT: What I'm asking for, basically, is for outdoor hunting to be comparable to missions so I won't be laughed at and/or insulted im reply to asking someone to hunt outside with me. Some people will always favor missions, some people will always favor the outdoors, but for the people who just want to have fun while advancing at a decent clip, both should be worthwhile options.
    Last edited by Jynne; Nov 4th, 2002 at 19:59:30.

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

Give me a week or two to finish paying off my debts and get some money back in my pockets and I'll find us a place that doesn't scare people as much as PW.

It's not scary! It's fun!

But I'm prescribing birth control pills for whoever was chain-spawning those cyborg bosses.

Hunting is nowhere near as viable as doing missions, especially when those missions are as easy to reach as BS. My complaint is not that I'm *forced* to do Broken Shores missions, but that nothing *but* Broken Shores missions is a viable option. I still hunt on a regular basis and enjoy it as much as ever...it just makes me sad that practically nobody else hunts or would even know where to start. It also annoys me that when I go hunting, it's only for fun because the xp gain would mean 1 level a month at best

Also, outdoor hunting did receive another nerf with the addition of outdoor bosses. Basically, the best way to hunt has always been to hang around a spawning ground and pick off stragglers. If you have enough groups, you can control the whole spawn. Now you have a boss at every spawning ground and if the boss aggros, you're history, making it very difficult to hunt anything but bosses. So Funcom's latest hunting fix just nerfed hunting again. Yipee.
    Clan fixer, Fourth Title

Director of Information
    Analog Myth

Originally posted by Jynne
    [B]Actually Zylina... and this is just my own experience in the last few months... I can build or join a team going to Home in 10 minutes or less.

If I try to build a team to go to Perpetual Wastelands I get two or three good friends, and some chuckles, the occasional "wtf, you an ebayer?" and a lot of "I only want to do missions thx" - even from people whose abilities are geared towards the outdoors, like pet users, rooters, and ranged-combat professions.
    B]
    I believe that was my point. If all the people who rally around the 'we love outdoor hunting' flag weren't all hypocrits and cry babies, you'd have no trouble finding people to team with you outdoors. There were reams of posts by these people before 14.5.

But that isn't the case, and 95% of them are actually more interested in getting the best possible reward for the least amount of effort.

The truth is that they are bored doing this and whining fills the boredom.

With crowd control, there are many viable outdoor hunting spots. From level 1-200. Find a human mob spawn, and camp it till you are bored to tears standing in one spot killing the same mob over and over again. At least in BS, I get to move from point a to point b.

However, what right does anyone have in telling others that they are the suck for not wanting to go 'outdoors'. That their priorities suck, and what they find as 'enjoyment' should be nerfed so they are forced to join you in YOUR fun?

Btw, this isn't completely aimed at you Jynn. Mostly at the sociopaths posting in this thread with an overgrown me complex.

Think of creative ways to enhance your own gaming experience. Stop looking in envy of those who are already happy and listening to that insidious voice of your brain tumors telling you to, 'nerf nerf nerf.' because it will give you a warm and fuzzy.

I realize you're not aiming that at me, Zylina, since I never asked for anything to be nerfed. Except too-powerful boss mobs that take over an hour to kill for a team of level 150 players. Grr.

Missions shouldn't be nerfed. Home shouldn't be nerfed. They have a valuable role to play for the game, especially for casual players, soloers, and people with demanding schedules.

Hunting in the out-of-doors still needs positive adjustments and boosts, though. It's fun for many, and different for all, and that can be a reward in itself. But a fun activity that isn't consistently rewarding, in a reward-centric environment like AO, turns frustrating and disappointing over time.

Bleh just make Home a nice warm fuzzy 25% zone. Missions would take on a whole new experience then =)
    The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live! - Unknown

"I've always wanted to be somebody, but I see now I should have been more specific." - L. Tomlin

Vyker - 182 Fixer
    ** Card Carrying Union Member (team)

Originally posted by Vyker
    Bleh just make Home a nice warm fuzzy 25% zone. Missions would take on a whole new experience then =)
    Finally someplace laggier than Camelot to PvP in!

I've always preferred hunting because, as was before stated so many times, BS missions get repetitive and boring. I also hated how cramped it always was in missions, imo anyways.

I thought it would be kind of nice to have missions to outdoor areas, like the mission itself is an outdoor area without all the maze like qualities of indoor missions. Profs like pet users would be able to shine a bit more, not having to worry so much about pet pathing and it wouldnt have to be made like a camp but much bigger, spread out areas.

This would also help with the problem of the larger mobs like spiders and beetles aggroing through walls so you cant hit them until you figure out what room they came from. I think someone said before that if hunting mobs that werent the same old human npcs, gave more xp, people wouldnt always be in such a rush to put full order.

These are just my thoughts as I always hated how six people had to cram into these tiny rooms over and over again. When your outdoors, which was always the incentive for me to go hunting, you have the open spaces and room to manuuever a bit more, granted you have to worry more about adds.

hehehe see that's the spirit Jynne
    The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live! - Unknown

"I've always wanted to be somebody, but I see now I should have been more specific." - L. Tomlin

Vyker - 182 Fixer
    ** Card Carrying Union Member (team)

Originally posted by Vyker
    Originally, Home was 25%...not many people did missions there then
    Clan fixer, Fourth Title

Director of Information
    Analog Myth

Nostalgic memories of an omni nanotech...

Remember the supaleet in omnient before the cyborg aggroed?
    Remember Lush Field's swpipe/swcamp/nwcave...gotta love those lifebleeders.
    Eventually after the nwcamp stopped giving good xp we would move to Pleasant Meadows...
    Remember the Eye camp north of 20k and the VB camp just southwest?
    Then we had the boothackers, shade camp, bio camp and then WOOHOO the medusas temple before they hit like a ton of bricks...

Before I even thought of running missions we all leveled at camps. Many many months ago I was a 100+ nt with 25 tokens...

Now at 165 and an army of alts I have my 1000 token board.

BS missions offer the fastest XP reward due to shorter missions, the least risk, the best loot, and something hunting has yet to offer...tokens. I'd like to have some viable hunting grounds just like the rest of us. Remember when we hung out at the gates of 20k lfg? Now I rarely see anyone there when I'm running to calm missions for gear at the eye camp. There will always be that spot that everyone congregates for booking a ride on the xp train.
    Goode 200 Nanotechnician
    Ionsphere 166 Martial Artist
    DrHandy 154 Doctor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12