Thread: I signed up for the beta test, now what?

Talking I signed up for the beta test, now what?

So i was really happy that they are doing open beta, but i wonder, how do i get the game? do i dload it? do they send it to me? all u other beta testers, help me out!

Nono, the booster will be too big for a download, FC said so. You will probably have to pay for the shipping so I hope you don't live too far away.

Seriously, I strongly suspect that FC will let you know one way or another.
    Dominata
    Member of THM

Signed up for the beta too.

I suppose it will happen on the test-server. In that case, I'll have to start a char on lvl1 again. ...and in that case, I wonder how 'efficient' tester I will be. *sigh*

Anyway, I got me a ticket in the lottery. Guess we'øø just have to wait and see.

According to rumours you will be able to boost your char when you are beta testing Notum Wars.
    Come on, they want this stuff wanted ASAP.
    They don't want it tested by a horde of lvl 10s.
    May your RD always kick in between death and reclaim.
    Honest Businessmen and women: The Mockers
    I eat Grid Armor nanos. *BURP* Hungry again!
    Power Users run Anarchy Online from Linux.

Umm its not open beta. Its closed beta. If it were open they probably wouldn't even make you fill out a form. They are not going to let every person who wants to play it for the most part it will only people who actually want to help TEST it and iron out the bugs. Yes i know there will probably be some stress tests on the new PvP areas as well though so if your just one of those people who wants to be the first to camp that new uber loot you might have a chance of getting in.
    engie + ghetto crowd control + no healing + lowest hp + worst evades + bot who is never around. = worst prof in game

Bump for engie fix

Personally I dont think it will be on testlive (at least not yet).

They have already been testing internally for a while (hence the screenshots) so I suspect they will just create a locked-down client that you will download to access the boster beta server and only that.

Since the booster clients and non-booster clients need to co-exist eventually I can see this ending up on test live once they have worked out how they are going to either run 2 different databases or flag the booster items and 'not available' to the non booster clients
    Dont you think I look like Geordie from Star Trek?
    <-----------------------------------------------------------
    Actually I look more of a cross between him and Picard don't I?

Wen you get onto the terstserver, you download a program to dupe AO. I guess they may do the same for the booster and then allow you to DL/install the booster onto only that version.

Too big for download?

People download 500-600MB all the time on the net with broadband and I even downloaded AO with 56k recently. I don't believe the too big to download thing at all especially when I see all the full hollywood movies available for download illegally on the net.

I hope they weren't serious when they said that. People don't beleive BS.
    Fear is the Mind Killer.
    You wasted life, why wouldn't you waste death?

Originally posted by Bonk
    Too big for download?

People download 500-600MB all the time on the net with broadband and I even downloaded AO with 56k recently. I don't believe the too big to download thing at all especially when I see all the full hollywood movies available for download illegally on the net.

I hope they weren't serious when they said that. People don't beleive BS.
    Not, of course, that you download any of the aforementioned illegally available material, hey? You just noticed that it's there
    My Main - Actionpete of the Red Tigers

And with one sweeping blow, Letah pwns everyone. :-D - Razishlyat, Nano Regen rate

The Shadowlands Perk System - "Are you feeling perky yet?"

On the Shadowlands Perk System:-
    Originally posted by OneChrisN
    Frankly we don't know anyting about it other that it's there and Enforcers can kick people in the nuts.

Originally posted by Shatai

Not, of course, that you download any of the aforementioned illegally available material, hey? You just noticed that it's there
    Sure! Noone really downloads any kinds of illegal material, right? They just log onto their napster-clones to see what's out there and say to themselves "hey, it's out there! And I found it! Well, I'll go buy the DVD now"

But the 'too big to be downloadable' may be a valid point. Because if they made it a regular patch, you would HAVE to DL it, right? Then the poor saps with modems that can't afford big phonebills (it DOES take several hours to DL over a...let's say 56k-line) would simply end subscription. I mean, not everyone sits on the net 8 hours a day with DSL/CABLE/T1/T3-lines.

I do, and downloading it isn't a problem for [i]me[/] but I fully understand those that don't hav it, and thus don't want to download it in order to play.

BUT how they're gonna solve the tester-thingy, I don't know.
    I guess that if you want to test, you have to dedicate some time, effort and in some cases, money to be a part of it. Unless FC ships it out for free to the testers.

hmm i signed up to ive palyed this game now for so long i can remember and now ive waited for this so i hope all those who started paly early got the chance to be the first to try this regardds hopefully it will be some easy way to get in

Originally posted by Forceboy
    hmm i signed up to ive palyed this game now for so long i can remember and now ive waited for this so i hope all those who started paly early got the chance to be the first to try this regardds hopefully it will be some easy way to get in
    I suspect that the best way for you to get into the beta is to give FC reasons other than that 'you played this game for so long'. How about reassuring them that you will do your damndest to test the crap out of it and really try to weed out the bugs, since that is what the beta is for.
    It's not a preview or there for you to make up your mind if you're buying it or not.

No, I have not applied to beta test the booster.
    Dominata
    Member of THM

It will probably involve a duplication of current ao installation, then installation of a special dimensions.txt to make it connect to the beta server, then you download the 14.7 patch, and voila. That's exactly what the ao duplicator does currently: it duplicates the game, then replaces the dimensions.txt file.

I suppose that they'll flag which account are allowed to connect on that server, so people don't just spread out the dimensions.txt to let anyone connect to the beta :)

And I suppose that the whole client will be the same (with the same resource database and items) for everyone, and they'll just add a requirement on the items that only booster pack owners can use to check if they have the booster pack activated on their account...
    Last edited by MORB; Nov 2nd, 2002 at 15:45:36.

Reasons to Betatest:

So far, I've geard that you char on NW beta can be boosted, and it's an entirely different server from the test-server that exists today.

We'll see how it goes.

I hope it gets proerly tested, and people wonæt be looking at it as a demo-version, or an exploit-finding-feature. I hope bugs will be found and dealt with, balance will be restored and that it will be a good booster by the time it hits the shelves.

how do you sign up?
    can you still?
    =P
    Splitfridge// lvl 191 omni doc
    Splitbanana// lvl 110 omni trader -_-
    Spitfridge// lvl 53 enf (yeah he probably killed ur alt)
    Splitanut// lvl 22 mp (watch me solo your base)

SPLIT > YOU

kinda funny how people see beta as preview and not find bugs. Kinda people who shouldn't be choosen as testers.

And no i did not apply either cause i would be a ****ty tester.
    engie + ghetto crowd control + no healing + lowest hp + worst evades + bot who is never around. = worst prof in game

Bump for engie fix

teheran if you are selected for the beta, you will be given access to all the material you will need to setup a Notum Wars beta client, which will obviously involve a download.

The email address that your game account is registered with will receive an email informing you what you need to do to set everything up.

/me crosses fingers for ya
    edict
    Clan Archdeacon

"Nothing worth while is ever easy"

bingo morb

/me crosses fingers for all applicants
    Field Marshal Londino, lvl 220
    Cutting through the forest of reason
    Veteran of Forsaken
    Former Soldier Professional

Silly doc thingy Londina, lvl 175+
    She needs tokens dont ya know.

Don't forget the open Beta test of 14.6 starting tomorrow, if you want to play the game at all it's mandatory!!!
    Dominata
    Member of THM

Well, I did sign up for beta testing and hope I get a chance too. I always like pushing the edge and seeing what works and what doesn't. I like tinkering to see what happens when part A is dipped into chemical X :-).

I also get pissed at bugs enough to want to actually report them.
    If at first you dont' succeed, reload.

If it moves, shoot it. If it doesn't move, loot it.