Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Static Dungeon Ettiquete

Static Dungeon Ettiquete

Some people thought they'd be a wonderful addition to the game. I knew they'd bring the "snerts" of our gaming population to the surface.

Static Dungeons.

Im speaking specifically about the static dungeons in Mort, since they're the only ones I spend any time in.

Static spawns breed camping. However, I was amazed to see (at first) that the AO community was really handling this pretty well. Given the relatively quick respawn time of these dungeons (about 30 minutes) and the fact that they are relatively small (about 15 rooms), the AO player community had begun to adopt ettiquete that kept the static nature of the dungeons from becoming a problem.

When a team shows up at the dungeon and heads in, if another team is already in there, the second team backs out and waits for the dungeon to be clear. Then, 30 minutes later that second team could head in. This worked well to make sure each team got plenty of experience for running the dungeon, since running them with more than one team pretty much makes the exp for doing it worse than just going and hunting someplace else. Given the fact that these two dungeons have no special loot, there is really no need to compete for them in the first place. If this ettiquete continues, those dungeons WILL be a nice addition to our game. However, it is up to the player community to continue this ettiquete.

Well, that ettiquete has begun to be challenged by bands of brats lately. Last night I took my group to the more difficult of the two dungeons. We proceeded to "break" the first room of three mobs, which proved a bit more difficult than usual, however we did it.

Just as we finished this task, another group came in and began to attack the mobs we pulled. We said that we had the dungeon and that it would be free very shortly. They made some grumblings, but conceeded, most likely understanding that two teams of level 100 people would get rather lousy experience if we fought over it. While I would have backed out immediately if I was the second team, at least they upheld the ettiquete in the end.

After this, we proceeded to clear the dungeon. No more than 5 minutes later, another team shows up and starts the same thing. Attacking the Mobs we pulled. Again we said we had the dungeon and it would be clear soon. Completely ignoring us, this new band of brats continued to attack our pulls. Luckily, some of them were killed and they left. However, they came back again. This time pulling mobs from other rooms causing trains of mobs that killed some of my teammates.

THIS is why I have always hated static spawns in other games. If the player community won't follow basic ettiquete, it ruins the experience for everyone.

When we confronted this group after being run out of the dungeon by the train of mobs, they got indignant, saying it was static and as such they would go in there any time they wanted. It didn't matter if another team was already fighting. After carrying on like kids, we finally just let them have the dungeon, not wanting to put up with them anymore.

This is where it is important for the players to enforce codes of conduct. If you feel that this type of behavior is unacceptable, then make it known to these, the offending players.

Dengarhunter
    Cathea
    Cracken
    Americanpie

If these players want to trample on the assumed ettiquete that more cooperative players have put it place, then reward them by not grouping with them in Mort. Otherwise, if we're not willing to support our own code of conduct as players, we'll help turn any new static locations that FC gives us into the same crappy, brat filled world that EQ had become.

I for one, hope AO players have more honor.
    Last edited by AnotherFixer; Jan 7th, 2002 at 18:32:52.

Well I grouped with you there Americanpie and I am very disapointed by the way ppl will act in this situation.

I see so many ppl in this dungeon entering having a look and seeing that my team is slowly procssing to single pull the first room, rush past us and train everything back on us.

The minor annoyance being a kid entering and starting to leech (or try to leech) xp from the group shouting "ROFL Dood u don't oWnz the place".

Well, from now on I just a) ask nicely to leave the spot and then b) report the bugger if he doesn't comply.

As for Mort dungeon(s) I am always ready to share with another team, since we can usually do left side team 1 and right side team 2 if the 1st room is cleared.
    "Donner à des millions une connaissance de l'anglais, c'est les rendre esclaves". (Hind Swarâj, ch. 18)

unfortunatly your gonna get this no matter what the game or situation, it is refreshing to see someone that respects what your doing.

Point in example:
    I had a group of 6 people high levels trying to get some young players in our guild a Nelebs cloak. We had two people that needed them. When we got there, there was another group in the process of getting neleb. They soon left and we were the only team in there for over a half hour. We got the coat for the 1st member without incident. As we were waiting for the next to spawn, a group of two lower level groups just started to kill whatever spawned. We nicely said that we just needed one more spawn and we would be on our way. Well, they proceeded to let us know that we dont own the dungeon and we dont belong there because we are high level. Thats when I started getting nasty and well the name calling began etc... Neleb spawns, and Im nuking for 2k+ every time, we had a Warbot, and an enf so we had aggro the entire time and somehow they got the loot. So the pestering insued and we just left.
    It would of been much nicer to just wait 10 minuted to let us do what we had to do and they could get on with their business.

I referred only to the Mort dungeons because the situation with the Steps of Madness brings into play another sticky situation...unique loot.

Let me first say, I hate static unique loot. It makes camping even worse.

The thing with the Mort dungeon that made my situation even more frustrating is that there IS no unique loot. The intruding team could have just as easily gone someplace else for experience. But I digress, the post was made for the community to judge, not have me try to impose my will alone, so, I'll let you all be the judges.

nelebs stuff isnt all that unique really, and if you are civil you can get it pretty fast. How many people do you see with the nelebs cloaks on? a ton. Now, the shades of Lucubration are a unique item, and once word gets out there will be gobs of people trying to fight over the rare spawn. I bet it gets ugly.

I've said this in another post but; a similar thing happens every time I go to the static dungeon in The Longest Road. First I'll spend 1-2 hours gettting 2 groups of the recommended levels (50-75) to go there, not an easy task to organise 16 people, and when we do finally get there, after everyone gettting lost 10 times on the way, (it's a single road don't ask me how they get lost but, they do) We'll start making our way through the first few rooms, when a high level group (130+) come through and passes us. Of course they are killing things very easy and helping them out is useless, we get no XP or looting rights. This has happened 4 times now and I'm getting a little sick of it. Perhaps there could be a key system to these static dungeons, where one person (the leader for instance) gets a key by right-clicking on the door and makes copies for all those he wants to go in with him. So THAT keys instance of the dungeon is unique and no one else could get into that instance of the dungeon w/o a copy of the key. That way, say another group came to the door just behind us, they would get their own unique key and in turn their own instance of the dungeon and not even see us. Make it with no respawns to prevent camping and ensure if someone dies in the dungeon (which will always happen at the recomended levels) they can run back to where the team is w/o dragging MOBs with em.

I would also like to add that dungeon should spawn a high level and a low level version. They would be the same dungeon except higher level characters go in to the higher one, while lower levels get the low one. Another rule should be that you always go into the dungeon that your team is in, so that the first person through will determine the dungeon level you get.

Angry Oh well

I agree with alot thats been said here. The dOOdz are annoying and good loot or even unique items attracts them like flies.
    But I don't like Arterous example of bad behavior.
    What you were doing in SoM is called "farming" and is one of the annoying phenomena of spawn camping. Ppl far too high in level farming special loot for their lowlevel guildies or twinks. Very frustrating for ppl that can actually use the loot (and have a real challenge in that dungeon) when they have to watch highlevls sitting there and farming, knowing exactly that they outdamage the lowbies and will get the items under normal circumstances. In EQ a petition would clear the situation and the highlevels would either be forced to share or to leave.
    Especially if you ALREADY looted one you should have let the next group coming in, have a shot at Neleb. You dont need it yourself, you are just farming.

Val
    Xandro, neutral bureaucract

That still doesn't beat the Doga's mission incident I had today. I wait for 3 hours to get my turn to talk to him when another guy goes past me in the line when I get first and talks to him about 20mins after he had arrived. (Yankex)
    -War is not about who is right, it is about who is left.

- L92 MP
    - L7 Enf

Sigh....

Well like I said, we waited until the dungeon was COMPLETELY empty. This was for one of our new members and we really didnt have too many people in his range at the time. I don't think there is ANYTHING wrong with helping out a new player. Come on, wouldn't it suck if you just joined a guild and you REALLY wanted to get a nelebs cloak and no one would help you? You would probably say screw that guild.

I stand by what we did. I think we were not in the wrong, we didnt force out the other group that was in there when we arrived. We waited until they left.

I have never noted the spawn of the Mort static mission areas to take more than 5 minutes after clearing. Usually when there are no other teams you can do the hard mission and then run thru the easy mission killing everything and when done, the hard mission is ready again. Or, just sitting for 5 minutes outside the entrance for 5 minutes will do.
    Auri Sacra Fames!

Specialone Clan Fixer RK-2
    Spatialone Clan Bureaucrat RK-2

Talking interesting post.....

anyway I will reply by saying there is always 2 sides to any story and its 2 bad I didnt get a few screenshots of what you and your team really said, there is no way I can make everyone on the server happy <pointing at you> but trust me, there are plenty people out there that think im fair
    btw never played the other game you mentioned
    "You eat the Bronto Burger, I want a taco !"

Guild Storm

Formula44 Fixer
    Fishtaco Engineer NEW NAME is Craftwoman
    Americanpie Agent - Retired
    proctology Doctor
    formula Bureaucrat
    Account Created 2001-06-27 15:29:57

AO is role-playing game.

Especially if you are clan, especially if your guild is Anrchy, especially if you played UO when it was a hard game, you won't give etiquette a rat's a$$.

/rp off

Never go where you fear anyone can piss you off. AO's revolution is that there are tons of places to go where not a dog would get lost.
    A lot of places, with good XPs and good loot and... good clean fun.

Some asked for static missions/dungeons ?
    That's the most idiotic request, IMHO
    It opens the door to the reasons why AC EQ and others are crappy games, aimed at cheaters, exploiters, campers and greedy bastards.

AO is perfect now, if Funcom wants to put uber stuff in the game, let them put it in Mayhem zones.
    Now we'll see the heroes...

Re: AO is role-playing game.

Originally posted by Miriandel
    if Funcom wants to put uber stuff in the game, let them put it in Mayhem zones.
    My point of view. And then you will have obvious ways of taking care of ill-educated level 90 noobies.
    "Donner à des millions une connaissance de l'anglais, c'est les rendre esclaves". (Hind Swarâj, ch. 18)

Dungeons, Spawns and the rights of the Customer...

All-around good ideas, but there is one major point people seem to forget. Everyone -pays- to play this game, and they therefore have the the same right to be right to be where they are as you have being where you are.

Yes, it's annoying... but it's the truth. Sending a petition is unlikely to accomplish anything, since you as likely harassing the other person as he is harassing you. Besides, even if the petition was taken seriously it could be centuries before any action is done about it.

no no hes right , put em in mayhem, keep the low lvl smart ass idiots out

gets rid of the you dont 0wnz the place d00d
    and the i 0wn j00... yeah proove it now..

anyways

What ever happened to Funcom's idea to make static dungeons spawn a seperate dungeon for every team that enters? I read somewhere just before they started adding dungeons that they where going to make it so when a team came to a dungeon it would spawn an identical dungeon just for them, and when single players entered it would count the number of individuals, and after a certain number filled the place, a new one would spawn for the next few single players who came by.

Oh well, if any of that makes any sense, it was a good idea to me.
    Sepentura

"The future is in your hands."

Former Leader - Sea of Change

Re: AO is role-playing game.

if Funcom wants to put uber stuff in the game, let them put it in Mayhem zones.

Then you'll just have some uber-twinked idiot picking off your team members while your fighting some tough MOB.

Re: Dungeons, Spawns and the rights of the Customer...

Originally posted by Heart of Evil
    Everyone -pays- to play this game, and they therefore have the the same right to be right to be where they are as you have being where you are.
    So what's the point ? The fact that we are throwing a few $ (well € for me) in a virtual game does not mean that I have the right to be a moron. Which is not virtual.

Anyway /reporting and screenshots of ill-educated players is usually quiet efficient.

Screw you

Offense intended, your a whiner. What makes you think you set the etiquette. Theres a million ways to play the game, why should anyone play 'your' way. I'm an adult not one of these children playing, and im offended that you think you have the right to tell others how they should play to 'your' Standards. You do represent a percentage of the players. but Nothing makes yours the RIGHT way. Example I was trying to blitz the TLR dungeon, after dying i went back in and a group had entered after I had died, then they accused me of training when 50 mobs followed me thru on blitzing and they were killed. Now I was there first, playing my way. Yet they were upset cause it interfered with 'There' Way of playing. You have a problem with the people go somewhere else, you ever start complaining and whining like that to me, and you'll be the on im petitioning about for Harassment. There is no dungeon etiquette, and dammed if you'd be the one in charge of defining it. So you want to take turns go play tic-tac-toe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast