Thread: PvP is broken, at least for first characters

Post PvP is broken, at least for first characters

Hi!

After bad experiences in other MMORPGs I was delighted by the idea of PvPing in AO.
    --> Player can save
    --> Player will not loose stats
    --> Player will not loose equipment and stuff (at least, AFAIK)
    You know, what I'm talking about.
    I learnt to avoid games, where a lvl 100 + (or equivalent) can jump a lvl 1 without taking any risk.
    Since about two weeks I experiment with the different classes, to find out more about the strong and the weak points of each. Of course I made my first PvP tries and come now to the conclusion, that the game is ridiculously unbalanced. Why?

One short story: A lvl 10 trader asked my lvl 10 enforcer for a duel. I asked him, if this trader is his first character. No, he has a lvl 154 MA was the answer. So, I thought, I will not have a chance, because he is certainly oe to the hilt. I told him that and he answered, that this is not true. He just wears ql 26 armor, but anything else is "normal" for the level. I agreed to duel, just to see, if he tells me the truth. To make it short: My enf, who was very impressing in PvM, hit for nothing and died within some seconds. The trader, obviously a kid, stated that with a "LoL". Some minutes later I asked him to post his weapon, what he did (obviously proud, as kids are, when they can play with parent's stuff). It was a ql 30 shotgun of a rare brand, requiring stats, which are not possible for a normal player. My enf had a ql6 and a ql3 bat and could possibly wear a ql 16 weapon without any buffs. Everybody knows, how many NCUs are necessary to get some of the major wrangles and other high buffs to run. I had 12 NCU, so no chance for that kind of tactics. BTW, an hour later I could read in the chat window, that the lvl 10 trader had ql30 imps and is about to switch to ql50. I couldn't even afford ql10 imps.

What do I want to tell you with this story?
    I guess, most of you know, what I mean. There are many players with high lvl first characters, which create a second, third or fourth character. Via item and money transfer those new characters will not start from scratch. They will always be equipped in the best way, always have the "best" weapon" for their level. They make missions for levelling but not for items (as one of those told me in a mission "leave the f... chests, no time for that"). Why check for a better wepon? They have enough credits to just buy it.
    So, where is the chance of a newbie? There is none.
    The way is clear:
    --> Create a new character
    --> Work your way up to the higher levels; become rich
    --> When you are rich enough, start a new character
    --> Now start playing the game

There are many threads concerning the broken economy in the game. Just a last example: One of those "second characters" wanted some sunglasses and asked another player about his. The other player asked back "what will you pay?" "40 k" was the answer. Ridiculous.

I'm sure, during the first few weeks after the game started, all this could not have happened. How did you "older" players like these days and what do you feel, when you see the game as it is now?

Best

Lm
    Last edited by Lemain; Oct 30th, 2002 at 14:35:34.

10 trader :
    ql 26 armor
    ql30 imps
    ql 30

is not too "twinked" out, a couple of outside buffs, when he sucks your skills (ransack, deprive) his skills go up, so his shotgun is not OE.

Take the max damage your weapon can do (without crit)
    Now take his AC/10

if AC/10>maxdamage then you "cap" meaning you hit for 3,3,3,3,3,3,3

10 Enforcer:
    a ql6 and a ql3 bat

boo hiss, you should be in at LEAST Q15 weapons, just get another enforcer to cast brutal thug on you and you will be in Q30 weapon easy.

Pvp is about optimizing. You want cash then do two missoins for Q10 pillows and you will get 500k for them on rk1, 300k for them on RK2 on the trade boards.

I could start a new char, get him to level 20ish, do Q10 missions for 2 weeks and have 10 million credits easy. It is not just having the high level alt that makes him pwn, it is also knowledge of the game.

By the time you are 50, if you take your time to learn you will be uber as well . Learn what buffs you need, what buffs others can give you, what weapons own (alloy pipe/staff is the best 1hb choice, not bats), what armor to wear, how to buff for armor (higher level enforcers with bigger str/stam buffs... essences).

and then is the guy buffed by others when he fights? this is the biggest factor at low levels.. ncu is god, max comp lit.

Good luck.
    I am Dnastyone Official Broom pusher for The Professionals
    Painmage my newest funnest guy
    PHEAR ME RK1 Yazule IMMMM BACK

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

This is actually a problem in pvm too.

In pvp they will have much better gear than you and you will promptly die in a sec or four.

But many times when i play an alt i team with people i dont know, someone of them are on their first char and rides the wave of the three or four alts in the team.They level way to fast not learning the game and their proffessions abilities and gets short on cash very fast.

That is something that frustrates me alot, not that they lvl beside me, taking advantage of my characters cash and gear. But the fact that they wont learn the game and the proffessions abilities properly, the game deteriorates to pure lvls nothing else.

When i played my doc at lower lvls i had people in the team that didnt even attack the mobs cause they died in one or two hits.

When we said that we were breaking up the team the kid started screaming something like this.

I WANNA XP; GIMME XP XPXPXP... PLZ ONE MORE MISSION???

That alt ended up being kicked from the team by our fixer just as the grid nano excuted leaving the litte kid alone in the boss room.

Talking

LOL Whites It's called a learning experience.

When I 1st started playing this game back in aug 2001 (when it 1st came out) my 1st chr was a agent. There was no such thing as twinks, you could still even back then easily out lvl your equipment in a matter of 1 hour.

Plus when you 1st start out with the game you have no clue as what to do, what skills to raise, etc.. I remember on my agent I raised dimach every lvl because the OFFICIAL strategy guide said it would pay off in the long run, I look back and can't help but laugh at myself.

Lemain its actually better you learned that lesson this early in the game. because all the way up until lvl 130+ everyone will be twinked in some way or another, at lvl 130+ there is no such thing as twinked anymore, since everyone has on just about all ql 200
    My small army on rbk2

NT
    Got Nullity Sphere?

Crat

trader
    <--flavor of the month

I See you!

Originally posted by Whites
    This is actually a problem in pvm too.

In pvp they will have much better gear than you and you will promptly die in a sec or four.

But many times when i play an alt i team with people i dont know, someone of them are on their first char and rides the wave of the three or four alts in the team.They level way to fast not learning the game and their proffessions abilities and gets short on cash very fast.

That is something that frustrates me alot, not that they lvl beside me, taking advantage of my characters cash and gear. But the fact that they wont learn the game and the proffessions abilities properly, the game deteriorates to pure lvls nothing else.

When i played my doc at lower lvls i had people in the team that didnt even attack the mobs cause they died in one or two hits.

When we said that we were breaking up the team the kid started screaming something like this.

I WANNA XP; GIMME XP XPXPXP... PLZ ONE MORE MISSION???

That alt ended up being kicked from the team by our fixer just as the grid nano excuted leaving the litte kid alone in the boss room.

is this post about how uber you are and that you only team uber char?.. i hope it issent becous that would make you a bad player
    w00p w00p!!

Xenomorph, i started back in july 2001 and i know how it was back then, whites my main is the absolute first char i made in this game, he was/is such a gimp but i couldnt resist playing him all the way.

Tolbat it absolutely isnt, it was the other side of the same coin.

My doc isnt better then other docs in any way.

But getting beaten if you are new to the game isnt that weird since people tweak their characters to the limit.

ok

then im happey
    w00p w00p!!