Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Notum Wars and Neutrality

Since FC has said that it will be possible to build towers in lower level zones, I think it's a safe assumption that one can build in zones that are otherwise non-PvP. If this is the case, attacking towers probably works differently than just attacking another player in terms of the PvP rules. So odds are neuts will be able to attack and defend normally, they won't necessarily have to follow the same rules attacking towers that they have to when attacking players in a political zone.
    Last edited by Aerinyi; Oct 31st, 2002 at 16:30:08.

hmmmm

OK I see a lot of "Their neutral because they want no part in the conflict"..."By attacking a side's tower their forfeiting their neutrality" etc,etc,etc.

hmmmm...errrr.....in a word no.

For me neutrality means....

I look at Omni and think "Live by those rules?? Dream on."

I look at Clan and think "Fight for freedom against oppression?? Why? I am free and I'm sure as hell not being oppressed"

OK very simple I know...but I didn't want to post a HUGE philosophical point of view.

Why should neuts want to go and attack a sides Tower?? Could it be for the Notum? Could it be their neutral to make a profit for themselves?

Attack too many of a faction's towers and you automatically join the opposing faction? Why? I'm after the Notum...not making a political statement.

Some of you see (and some neuts as well) neutrality totally in the context of game mechanics...there are many reasons people choose to be a neutral. Some aren't interested in the conflict and want to be left alone. Some haven't decided which faction they want to join. Some just don't want to be Omni or clan but strike out on their own.

Ask 100 neuts why their neutral and you'll get a whole range of reasons why they are and remain neutral.

Just my thoughts....posted in haste so might make little sense. Hell....I make little sense at the best of times

Alteredstate
    Altared (aka Alteredstate)

------
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

If You Can’t Dazzle Them With Brilliance, Riddle Them With Bullets.
    ------

As long as you share the joy of your profiteering around, and not attack one side exclusively, of course

By the way, all the effects of this notum mining via the towers seems to be skill buffs and whatnot. I haven't seen anything saying we can just sell the notum. Kind of odd, don't you think?

And if Omni-Tek no longer has exclusive rights to mine the notum, then wouldn't Sol BC and a whole lot of other corps start to move in? If OT still has an exclusive lease on Rubi-Ka, banning other corps from moving in, then the effect is much the same as giving them an exclusive lease on the notum...... UNLESS we can trade with the other corps!

Neutrals could attack Clan/Omni installations, set up their own, and sell all the notum off-plant of their own accord. Clanners could do much the same, except it'd be perhaps attack Omni, Neuts if Neuts attacked first, and then sell. I can't see Omni employees selling to anyone but their company, sorry
    My Main - Actionpete of the Red Tigers

And with one sweeping blow, Letah pwns everyone. :-D - Razishlyat, Nano Regen rate

The Shadowlands Perk System - "Are you feeling perky yet?"

On the Shadowlands Perk System:-
    Originally posted by OneChrisN
    Frankly we don't know anyting about it other that it's there and Enforcers can kick people in the nuts.

Heh.....sorry, Neutrals ATTACKING Clan/Omni? Speaking as one of the very few lvl190+ Neutrals on RK-1, Neutrals are FAAAAR too weak for this to even be considered. My interest would be purely defensive: to simply try to hold onto the little bit of territory which has been given to us. To that end, I believe the survival of Neutrals would depend on "non-aggression" alliances with BOTH Clan and Omni forces.

Here's one question: if a Neutral installation is attacked by.......say, Omni........would the Clan members that we have strategic alliances with be alerted as well, and be able to come to our aid? And vice-versa, of course.

Hmmm......a good question, methinks.

On the other side......if an Omni/Clan org that we have an Alliance with is attacked, would the Neutrals be alerted and be able to help defend? As long as the aggressor doesn't have an Alliance with that particular Neutral org as well, of course.

Again, I see the Neutral role here being of a purely defensive nature, just trying to hold on to what we have.

As a side note, I don't expect to see many Neutral installations at all........the Neutral people are(in general) much poorer than our Omni/Clan counterparts atm. I doubt very many Neutral orgs would have the necessary funds to build a Tower in the first place. Org taxes are prevalent among Clan/Omni, but among Neutrals it is a rarity indeed.
    Nealandbob Headbasher Burninsword-RK1
    Deathfyst Tonofbricks -RK2
    Tonofbricks Nealandbob -RK Test embracing my inner Brat
    Finally back from Iraq
    Enforcers ONLY vote here!
    WoW-Pahani, Skywall/Horde and Barthilas/Horde
    "A good Enforcer dies a lot"-Deng
    "FC didn't create Enforcers, Deng did" -Tza

Well said Nealandbob... You have every right to defend yourselves, being neutral does not mean being defencless.

I'd hope the clans at least would come to your aid if Omni attacked, and that the clans would not attack neutrals. I doubt that it will happen that way of course, but there will be those among the clans who actuually believe in Freedom and all that that entails, including recognising and respecting the freedom of others. The freedom to do as they see fit provided they do not impose on the freedoms of others who also believe in freedom.

I may be a clanner, but I'd defend my neutral friend's rights to lead their own lives free from harassment...
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

That's why they thought on Everquest Sullon Zek. And dev's even said they where very suprized when Neutral started kicking evil side around.

It's a similar situation.

Omni will have str in numbers but I think clan will smackdown both.

Down with Omni! and let's get them neuts organized against omni.

He who controls the Notum controls the universe!

Vash,

They should have never removed the requirement to pick a side by level 10.
    Clan fixer, Fourth Title

Director of Information
    Analog Myth

Crazt
    Neutral to me is someone who is out there just to make profit for himself. I want to be able to play the hatred of clan and ot to my advantage and always come out ahead. I think it is stupid that neutrals cannot attack first, I want to be a mercenary: I work for the highest bidder. The whole neutral idea to me is money making and out for myself. I do not care whether OT or Clans controll Rubi Ka I just want money.

We should be able to do pvp! I mean, my first fixer idea was a neut who sold info to the highest bidder, so you want to know where Ross will be tommorow afternoon? ok I got you covered. Instead fixers are on a side? It makes no sense for any fixer to be on a side.

Neutrality is for the self serving...

Crazt
    also, if I am ever running through a pvp area and get attacked by an OT or clan i should always be able to attack them back. If I ever see them in a pvp zone I can remember, Oh i remeber you EvilPvpLeet, you killed me when i was level 70 for no reason! DIE! I mean, if someone attacks me and i die why when i see them again can I not initiate attacks!? Being neutral means out for yourself, well i have a vendetta against EvilPvpLeet, i should be able to attack him! This is a request if the neutrals always able to initiate doesnt go through... Maybe this can be expanded, if you attack me and i am in a clan the whole clan can attack you... That makes it so OT/clan ppl that dont want to pvp much dont have to worry about us attacking them but ppl that do attack neutrals should be fair game for the neutral he attacked as well as his guild. If someone beats up my buddy I am gonna beat him up with my other two friends. This will make neuts able to get first strike vs ppl who are just trying to get pvp titles by killing us neuts cuz it is 'easy'.

O btw, i just saw my first freshman Neutral, i was amazed!

can we get some sort of reply to this? I kinda agree with Crazt. If one attacks a neutral they should be fair game to all neuts

Originally posted by Stimmed
    If one attacks a neutral they should be fair game to all neuts
    That would be fun .

Being neutral is no longer, if it ever was, a way to show that I don't want to be a part of, or take side in, the conflict between Omni-Tek and the clans.
    I've just been kicked around too much by both sides to ever feel comfortable with any of 'em.

If I get a chance to kick over a OT tower I will. Same thing with clanners. It's not taking sides in the OT vs Clan conflict, it's just a way to get my agressions out of the system. Agressions built up from countless sessions at the reclaim after seeing the boom-boom end of a sided agents sniperrifle.
    If I can make a buck doing it, well that's just a nice bonus.

Too bad they changed the free PvP levels. I almost had an excuse to level up, just to gank the **** outta some sided punks.

/G13
    pirates. with lasers.
    Are you having an argument on the internet, again?

Gene13 - on a space odyssey since 2001
    XXX - N

Some day your ship will come in, but you will be at the airport.

I'm afraid I don't see what Neutrality has to do with...

notum mining. Neutrals chose not to participate in the Clan-OT struggle for a variety of reasons (nearly as many as there are neutrals). They never said they didn't want to mine notum...just that they did not find interest in the struggle between Clan and OT, which seems much more related to question of 'freedom', 'justice' and self-government.

The idea of fighting a war over notum seems hardly 'side' related to me. I can easily see as fierce a competition between rival Clans and between rival OT guilds as I can between OT and Clan. In fact anyone expanding and competing directly for land in near proximity is likely to be seen as the immediate threat...OT or Clan or Neutral.

And, BTW, a neutral faced with expansionism by neighbors is not violating neutrality by defending, even pre-emptively, their holdings. By attacking an expanding neighbor, OT or Clan, a Neutral is NOT necessarily attacking OT or Clan...just a nearby threat.

Originally posted by Formrider
    I respect and understand all your points Basiel, but I am not sure if I agree from a roleplaying point of view. A neutral has made a stand towards the conflict, and that is not to get involved. And the conflict on Rubi-Ka is based on the Notum. Without Notum, no one would ever have come to this rock. If a Neutral org. or person would want to participate in mining Notum, I would say they abandon their neutrality. Hence I feel that Notum mining should not be possible for the neutral player. But this is from a roleplaying view.

You see what I mean?
    Last edited by Nelida; Nov 18th, 2002 at 22:26:58.

Why?

Why do YOU care if someone wants to remain neutral as long as THEY choose? Kind of silly to me to be FORCED to choose...

Originally posted by Luxxan
    They should have never removed the requirement to pick a side by level 10.

I would hope so Neal...

In fact I would HOPE that FC wouldn't force so rigid a structure on us that we can't PICK for ourselves who we want to ally with...be it Neutral, OT or Clan. It would make for FAR richer gameplay to be able to make cross-faction alliances.

FC? Would you really ram your idea of OUR play-style down our throats? Nah....

Originally posted by Nealandbob
    Heh.....sorry, Neutrals ATTACKING Clan/Omni? Speaking as one of the very few lvl190+ Neutrals on RK-1, Neutrals are FAAAAR too weak for this to even be considered. My interest would be purely defensive: to simply try to hold onto the little bit of territory which has been given to us. To that end, I believe the survival of Neutrals would depend on "non-aggression" alliances with BOTH Clan and Omni forces.

Here's one question: if a Neutral installation is attacked by.......say, Omni........would the Clan members that we have strategic alliances with be alerted as well, and be able to come to our aid? And vice-versa, of course.

Hmmm......a good question, methinks.

On the other side......if an Omni/Clan org that we have an Alliance with is attacked, would the Neutrals be alerted and be able to help defend? As long as the aggressor doesn't have an Alliance with that particular Neutral org as well, of course.

Again, I see the Neutral role here being of a purely defensive nature, just trying to hold on to what we have.

As a side note, I don't expect to see many Neutral installations at all........the Neutral people are(in general) much poorer than our Omni/Clan counterparts atm. I doubt very many Neutral orgs would have the necessary funds to build a Tower in the first place. Org taxes are prevalent among Clan/Omni, but among Neutrals it is a rarity indeed.

Wait a min Bio...

"...get rich..."????

I didn't think there were monetary rewards for mining notum?

I've been wondering, as any good Trader should, just what my return on invested capital would be...

Originally posted by Bionitrous
    FunCom has said that the Notum Wars are based on the ICC completely deregulating the notum mining process on Rubi'Ka. With that said, towers and placing/operating them has nothing to do with the political squabbles between Omni-Tek and the Council of Truth (wherever they may be hiding). Basically, it's a gold rush out there. Place your mine and attempt to get rich.

I would think that neutrals trying to hold onto a tower would be an exercise in futility. You're already a bit gimpy due to the lack of a token board (no offense), have far few allies to call upon in defense of your tower and you'd most likely be under constant assault from both omni and clan. I suppose you could attack to your heart's content, though.

Question just for know

tower will be freely attackable by anyone? if yes that wanna mean high lvl player will control this world and low lvl Org (with cash ) wont have their chance to have a tower for more than 30secondes?!?

Neutrality unfortunately = neutered as someone else stated(I forget who .) Neutrals are effectively relegated to 6 man teams that any organization could take out rather easily. They just target ONE team, obliterate it, and move on to the next while the rest of the neut org looks on helplessly. The number of neutrals is based on the complete lack of power in PvP situations. Since many of us hope to at least affect PvP (especially massive PvP) in some way, we could not in good concience accept such a burden (watching people you care about die and not being able to do anything about it while others gloat and mock.) That is the only reason why I became a Clanner, and being helpless is probably going to be the reason why I cancel when I get sick of it. (That's a side topic based on Roots being too powerful/not being required in their current state: arg based on chance to interrupt vs chance to successfully use nf).

Enjoy, Neutrals !
    Changes 28.11.02
    • Neutral characters are now able to initiate PvP combat in 25% suppression gas areas.
    Thanks Funcom

Originally posted by Orravan
    Enjoy, Neutrals !
    Changes 28.11.02

Neutral characters are now able to initiate PvP combat in 25% suppression gas areas.
    Thanks Funcom
    Holy ****ing **** Batman!

/G13
    pirates. with lasers.
    Are you having an argument on the internet, again?

Gene13 - on a space odyssey since 2001
    XXX - N

Some day your ship will come in, but you will be at the airport.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast