Thread: RK is about to ERUPT

RK is about to ERUPT

((OOC: Given the recent heated debate re: IC/OOC in this forum, the following is strictly OOC – feel free to post how you wish, just make sure to let the thread know))

Gamespot and IGN have today posted previews of the upcoming “Notum Wars” Booster Pack. Although most of the details in those articles would be familiar to those who have read the updates, the following quote from IGN reveals what will happen story-wise in approximately three or four weeks:

“The two major players on the planet, Omnitek [sic] and The Clans, have been fighting over this very thing [notum] for more than a few years. As the story goes now, the ICC is stepping in to rectify some of the notum situation on Rubi-Ka. They've decided to come on in and deregulate the whole thing. Sound familiar? Yes and while it's opening up the market, it's also bound to cause some problems.”

Yet, this question begs asking: what can we expect over the next few weeks?

My conjecture is as follows:

1. The conditions in the Clan community will continue to degrade, both in the political and the economic senses of society.

2.(a) Omni-Tek of Rubi-Ka (“OTRK”) will announce, but not undertake, a move to reclaim the notum supplies.

OR

2.(b) Omni-Mine will announce the discovery of massive new notum reserves, in or very near to Clan territory.

3. In the case of (a), Poverty and instability will be used by the ICC to justify notum mining deregulation; in the case of (b) the ICC will declare all existing notum mines to belong to OTRK, while the newly-discovered reserves will be a free-for-all.

(Note: option 3(a) would effectively require substantial amendments to the RK Lease, whereas (b) would only require small amendments and the addition of a provision to define the new market as “free”. The latter of those two would thus be, from an ICC-OTRK relations standpoint, more politically stable. Maybe the ICC will re-extend the RK Lease as compensation from dissolving the monopoly?)

4. Let the games begin!
    -----

I think it is safe to assume at this point that the Council of Truth won’t be returning. What this market liberalization effectively accomplishes is to allow individual Clans to become powerful, wealthy organizations – hence, it is these Clans that will shape the course of relations among the community and OTRK – and thereby eliminate the need for the CoT.

It would also be safe to assume that the ICC peacekeepers are not going anywhere. I’m unsure of the security situation in Tir et al. prior to the CoT’s formation, but absent a unified Clan council who would provide security for these areas?

As an aside, the Gamespot article had this to say:

“Funcom plans to implement several varieties of towers…[o]ne of the nastiest new towers will have the disruptive ability of disabling a flying Yalmaha vehicle”

So much for safe cross-planet travel, huh?

Good Conclusions

[OOC]

Well, it was obvious that FC needs to create something that brings "fun" to all those people that want a bit more PvP battles. All these attacks on bases prove to be futile as they never changed anything. FC had intended to change this but the idea has been scrapped.

The CoT had to disappear to destabilize the political climate. I think that this recent evolution will tend to cause some bigger clans to grow while smaller ones will either focus on PR/exploring/social while the big guys will battle over the turf.

I wonder if those area will be 25% or 0% as I could think that perhaps some clans will start fighting among each other.

In fact, I would think 3b to be more probable, but then again, the Tir Accord for all that's worth already included most of that: All existing notum mines belonged to OT, and the clans were free to mine for themselves. This in turn will most probably lead to what many with OT do not want - prices will fall and there will be less profit.
    Corrine Daimoness Wright
    - Veteran of Apocalypse
    - General of the Mercury Dragons (ret.)
    - Member of the Grumpy Old Crat Bunch

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. - Samuel Adams