Thread: Why did I ever solo?

Why did I ever solo?

Ok... So I soloed most of my time. I liked being out there on my own, providing for myself. And it fit that whole adventurer description. It's really quite satisfying if you can consistently solo 70-80% missions without any outside help whatsoever. I decided I wanted to solo to 100 and then start teaming for a bit.

So, I did. Those upper 90s levels took about 8 hours of missioning, but it felt pretty good when I finally hit 100. Then I 'LFT'-ed a bit at Tir grid, found a team and within two hours, I'd gotten a level and a half! I don't know if I was lucky to find a particularly good team, but the six of us (2 docs, 2 fixers, ma, adv, lvls85-100) blazed through a 170 mission like... well like something that blazes through something else extremely well.

I'll probably solo some in the near future. Grab some Clon**** missions to get those last 320 tokens. But apart from that, I don't think I'll be doing a whole lot of killing by myself. I'll still be a lone ranger, of course. I'll just be one in a team

I tell you this for no particular reason. Just thought I'd share something with the group. Feel free to laugh at me for being so stubborn earlier. And I'm at work right now, but if anyone's up for a mission or two in about 8 hours, I'll be at Tir grid
    Vanguard Mharc. Self-equipper extraordinaire no longer. I'm back!

I don't think you're crazy. I solo most of the time myself... not by stubborness, but I'm often interupted during playtime and/or only have 2-3 hours straight ahead to play, so I do'nt want to gather/enter a team and then go /afk or simply leave while in the mission area.

Result of this... I need some specific nanos --> I grab one or two people at most, take only 5 minutes of their time, and go solo a team mission. Figures...

Yes I'm mad, I know.

Ah, and congrats on hitting level 100, too
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

"I liked being out there on my own, providing for myself."

You answer the reason why you solo yourself.
    Azzazzimon

Clan Apocalypse - The guild for models

Account closed.

Why do you solo?

If you play and Engineer you know why
    Dont you think I look like Geordie from Star Trek?
    <-----------------------------------------------------------
    Actually I look more of a cross between him and Picard don't I?

I soloed my agent to 90ish, then it started taking ridiculous amounts of time so I started teaming. My fixer, at the time I cancelled my account, was level 125 and had never teamed. There actually are quite a few benefits of soloing (particularly soloing team missions), but levelling quickly is not one of them

Personally, when I played AO, I liked to solo because I made more money, got more loot for myself, my alts, and my org, got more tokens, and didn't have to deal with the pricks that one inevitably encounters in pickup teams. It's also nice not to stand around LFG, particularly when you play at odd hours (I work graveyard shift so most of my playing time was early mornings US time).

--K

i solo'd about 95% of the time up to level 100.
    i've solo'd about 10% to 120.

level 1-100 took a looooooooooong time.
    level 1-120 took almost no time.

now i solo for money, but i group for my exp.

Granted, I'm a doctor, but I haven't soloed for significant amounts of exp since level 30. Again, probably because I'm a doctor, I never had much of a problem finding a team. And if there were a moron in it, I could usually make no more than a mild comment and they would either modify their behavior or soon be kicked from the team.

I haven't soloed for loot either. For money I've either gone with friendly teams who stopped to loot corpses and chests, or I've blitzed. This is certainly because it takes me forever and a half to solo a 50% mission, and the idea of soloing a 70% to 80% mission makes my eyes pop.

For those times when I only had a few minutes or might have to drop the game for RL, I've either blitzed or played an MP alt
    Last edited by Jynne; Oct 30th, 2002 at 16:41:21.
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

Soloing pre-100 is pretty fun. Lvling isn't too slow, and it's to be rolling in the loot. Plus if you're doing team missions, there's always the possibility of grabbing the rares.

Plus, and I realized this with my first character, grouping all the time will lvling your character way too fast, and if you're a tank-ish main, you'll find yourself way underequipped very quickly.

Originally posted by Demenzia
    and congrats on hitting level 100, too
    Thanks I was quite excited. And 40k ip per level is sweeet!

Originally posted by Kejane
    Soloing pre-100 is pretty fun. Lvling isn't too slow, and it's to be rolling in the loot.
    Yes, it's fun. But it does become very slow when you're approaching 100. Up until, say 80, I could always log on for the evening and be sure to get a level in a few hours. Once your in your 90s, you need a serious weekend session to get one.

Loot is good, though. I hit the 20M mark just before 100, which seems to be pretty good for a non-twink, guildless player. I can basically buy anything I want that is not a unique or otherwise rare drop.
    Vanguard Mharc. Self-equipper extraordinaire no longer. I'm back!

Arrow dunno lol

Solo 1-75 = 800 tokens.

Of course this was on a trader after token change and before OE change. Whole different world.

Title3 cap pretty much makes soloing a wash, along with the big jump in xp to next level compared to mob xp. Mission xp doesn't really kick in good until title5, so teaming is sooo much better before then. By the time you finally get to good mission rewards, the levels are so damn long that teaming is almost the only sane option, unless you like taking 10 times longer to get the same xp and a bunch of crap loot you dump to vendor.

Wanna make mission money? Plevel up until you can max your evades and runspeed, get GSF (or be a fixer lol) go full def and blitz anima discs. Don't forget to take max money slider as well.

1 bag = 10m in trader shop when I sell them.
    mercatura -ae f. [trade, traffic; merchandise]

Moved off-world and found real tradeskills...along with many other things

Soloing is very fast when you know what you do, until level 80.
    Then you have the long stretch of 80-100 that shouldn't be done solo by anyone in his right mind.
    After 100 it's mixed feelings. A good team will rack insane faster than any soloer... but usually the time you have to invest for finding such a team, cancel the gain.

I thing that I am growing to be more and more a social soloer.
    Chating while taking mobs solo... and just grouping with known friends. I am totally fed up with incompetent pick up groups.
    "Donner à des millions une connaissance de l'anglais, c'est les rendre esclaves". (Hind Swarâj, ch. 18)

Re: dunno lol

Originally posted by Mercatura
    Wanna make mission money? Plevel up until you can max your evades and runspeed, get GSF (or be a fixer lol) go full def and blitz anima discs. Don't forget to take max money slider as well.
    Newb question, what level would that be exactly?

I wasn't aware that disks could be rolled as rewards now, but it's been a long time since I've done blitzing-type stuff. Unless it changed with 14.6, Waitt Female Body Armor is also a real good item to blitz for--any QL sells exceptionally, and so long as it's the target of a find item mission, you don't even have to worry about being the perfect level to roll a 200 mission to get a QL 200 suit of it--heck, roll a 200+ find item targetting the Female Body Armor and maybe get an anima nano as a reward--truly easy cash. At ql 200, I recall selling female waitt for around 800k w/ roughly 650 comp lit to an optimal general store terminal. If you have access to the trader terminals, that value will of course jump pretty noticeably.

It's not even hard to blitz a 100% anymore--mobs check perception very infrequently or something, because it takes em forever to agro and you can usually just get through a room without them even noticing you. Just be sure to roll full open or have blinds graphically disabled (or be very good at navigating by map only ).
    Bugoluv--200 nt, atlantean

Solo for XP is slow(er) but I have fun while going solo. It give me time to think and test diffrent ways to use my toon. Soloed my levels from 155 to 160(something), new QL 200 implants and the 14.4 patch made that time fun. Guess I'll just have to treasure those moments for a few months

As an ADV, I've soloed almost all the way to lvl 50++, before I teamed up a bit, (it's still mostly solo).

But past 100, XP became damm slow. Had to team.

Still... every level, I've made sure I do at least 1 or 2 solo missions... just to assure myself that I could still do it It's important to me.

Also... whenever I had only like 1 hour to play.. I'll just pick up a solo mission....

I just hope NPC pets will not mean the end of our solo days

Reading this thread made me take a look at my doc and I realized at lvl 117 I have only 272 tokens! Of course as a doc I haven't done many solos and below 100 most team missions would yield 3 lvls. Recently I created an atrox doc just to see how he/she/it handled solos. Have solo'd to lvl 30 and breeze thru 80% missions hitting the mobs with 2 dots and then smacking them over the head with a beam. Its nice as a doc to be able to clear a mission in less than 2 hours and to actually have money in your pocket. Of course the limited nano will hurt in teams but I'm having my fun.