Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I thought service tower was for solo

I thought service tower was for solo

http://www.aordb.cjb.net/display.php?item_id=203109

How does a solo man use this when it requires incredible Mech Eng? Are solo people not supposed to buy the booster?

599 for a ql150 item? That doesn't seem unreasonable to me. If it gives you any significant bonuses, I'd say that you should have to spend some IP to get there.

What's wrong with that?

Because I can't afford it. And some get to raise it anyway no matter the booster. So, it's not worth it to buy the booster for some people or professions if they were looking forward to to the service towers to help with soloing.

Well lets anazlyze this.

With abilities maxed a soli gets 124 ME.

You get 210 ME from implants.

140 more ME from maestros

20 from expertise.

So right there you have 494 ME. So with zero IP expenditure you can almost use a ql150 tower. Requirements don't seem so damn high to me.

Especially as tower requirements rise really fast and even a super twinked engie and trader will barely be able to use the ql225 versions.,
    engie + ghetto crowd control + no healing + lowest hp + worst evades + bot who is never around. = worst prof in game

Bump for engie fix

I hope the implants don't conflict. I hope I have a high Trader around. I would spend a little IP. But not 20 US dollars.

There should be different towers that use different skills. Matter Creation and Time & Space for one. Electrical Engineering & Mechanical Engineering for another.

Do you think it is fair to require an Atrox Enforcer to have almost 600 in Mechanical Engineering to be able to take advantage of the booster pack's advertised benefits to soloers?

Consider the Source

Are you familiar with the source of your info, Pumpkin?

It seems to me that the information on items that are not in the game is probably suspect in that database. I'd like to know if you have had past experience with this site being correct with items that haven't hit the live server yet.

If you look at the 'Controller' items in that database, you will see many listings. I looked at a few and was amazed at the prices listed. According to the database, a QL 200 Controller was priced at 850K! And a QL 300 Controller at the LOW LOW price of 1.7 million credits! Gee, with those prices I could buy all five of my guilds towers with change to spare! Those prices are not at all in line with the 'very expensive' rhetoric spouted by Gaute. The Controllers costing less than a low level yalmaha?! That would be ridiculous! Based on the price of a high-level yalmaha, I would suspect that Controllers will cost well above 10 mil credits. I wouldn't be surprised if QL 300 Controllers are close to 100 million or possibly many times that. But, that is just my guess.

So, I doubt those prices are correct. Thus, I find any of the stats listed for 'non-live' items suspect. So, it is interesting to see some of the stats listed, especially the requirements, but I wouldn't be surprised to see these change, maybe quite drastically.

Anybody have experience with this AODB? Could those stats be correct?

Typothetae

Originally posted by Pumpkin
    Do you think it is fair to require an Atrox Enforcer to have almost 600 in Mechanical Engineering to be able to take advantage of the booster pack's advertised benefits to soloers?
    yes. Many other profs have to spend IP in other places to be good. What this does is takes 2 profs which suck at soloing (engie and trader) and give them the advantage over the profs which are uber at soloing already. like enfs MAs fixers etc.
    engie + ghetto crowd control + no healing + lowest hp + worst evades + bot who is never around. = worst prof in game

Bump for engie fix

Then no reason to buy the booster if my guild is to be destroyed by the huge ones and I don't get the promised personal towers.

Oh, well. Maybe when I'm level 180 and can use one of the new planes it'll be time to buy.

My understanding was that you can buy the towers or make them.

Presumably if you buy them you dont need the Engineering skills?

Just the vibe I got from reading the article though....
    Dont you think I look like Geordie from Star Trek?
    <-----------------------------------------------------------
    Actually I look more of a cross between him and Picard don't I?

Don't take what you see in a ripped database as 100% set in stone. We're still doing lots of tweaking on the towers and all that, so things will change.

Originally posted by Intrepid

yes. Many other profs have to spend IP in other places to be good. What this does is takes 2 profs which suck at soloing (engie and trader) and give them the advantage over the profs which are uber at soloing already. like enfs MAs fixers etc.

Don't know about you but my trader does not have the ip to raise mech. eng. (or any tradeskills) at his current level. And I don't see it happening until around TL5 either. If a solo tower requires mech. eng. to use there might as well be an engineer-only tag on it.

Typothetae: I hope they're cheap. They'll get destroyed all the time too, you know, and you have to buy new ones.

Intrepid: Most people prefer nanoskills instead of tradeskills in their head implant, same for the eye... the best most people can't do is a faded cluster in the right arm... it wouldn't be a problem if is was just to assemble a tower, but you need it to USE it in actual combat.

Something I wonder about:

Where can you place a 'personal' tower?

Can you bring out a Personal tower in among those of your faction to help defend against an attack, for instance? The added bonuses would help, if they're cumulative, that is.
    -Ward 'Kzak' Hereda, Clan L220, AL15 'Competent' Supreme Creator on Rubi-Ka 1. Equipment setup.

Life is like a box of chocolates. Except, you know, the brown stuff in the box? That's not chocolate.

Doing his part to make the world a more interesting place since December 2001.. but not any more. Account cancelled, playable until 2006-11-13 19:25:49. See you in Age of Conan!

Actually, I have a problem with the solo towers having requirements that lean to one profession or another, unless there are different requirements for each of them. Im going to be very upset if I spend real money on something and a major feature cant be used by my class(ma's are the worst at mech eng and .5 away from worst in mc). I dont have enough Ip to spend in those areas. I truly hope that the database is wrong or there are towers designed for all classes.

To me, this isnt a matter of class balance. Its a matter of real money investment. Upon going live, if I find out that this type of thing remains(even if the primary requirement was martial arts), I wont be picking it up.
    Travesty
    martial arts has-been
    freedom fighter
    teen idol

"Dont hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me because Im sleeping with your girlfriend."

Re: Consider the Source

Originally posted by Typothetae
    Are you familiar with the source of your info, Pumpkin?

If you look at the 'Controller' items in that database, you will see many listings. I looked at a few and was amazed at the prices listed. According to the database, a QL 200 Controller was priced at 850K! And a QL 300 Controller at the LOW LOW price of 1.7 million credits! Gee, with those prices I could buy all five of my guilds towers with change to spare! Those prices are not at all in line with the 'very expensive' rhetoric spouted by Gaute. The Controllers costing less than a low level yalmaha?! That would be ridiculous! Based on the price of a high-level yalmaha, I would suspect that Controllers will cost well above 10 mil credits. I wouldn't be surprised if QL 300 Controllers are close to 100 million or possibly many times that. But, that is just my guess.
    Add to that the defenses that you will have to buy if you expect your tower to last more than 5 minutes and it will all quickly add up. Especially when you have to start all over again for the tenth time in a week after having your tower been ripped to shreds...again.

If the requirements for the solo towers does not change there will be a huge outcry when players suddenly dicover that they won't be able to build one without gimping themselves, because that is what they will have to do, no matter what implants they have. IP's are tight and few all the way up to 100 and beyond and it's not like they need another IP sink to deal with.

Buying a prebuilt tower shouldn't require the same amount of skill to set up, but they shouldn't be quite as good as custom made ones. For a lot of people the cred cost alone will be prohibitive. Most of the people on the forums don't have to worry about money but not all new chars the are created are spoiled twinks.
    New players who buys AO for the booster will not be happy when they discover that they won't be able to use it's features for a very long time.
    Dominata
    Member of THM

Why I say what I say:

- Longshot said on Gridstream that they want new cars to be extremely rare/expensive/IP expensive to use. I understand why when you see everyone in a Ylam. = No reason to buy booster for me. I never gain from this new content.

- Junkbot's database shows personal towers have HUGE Mechanical Engineering skill required to place. I dont have one character in my barn that has anywhere close to that kind of skill to make one. Perhaps some other tower will come out that need credits or nanoskills or health to build. = No reason to buy booster for me unless new types are added. <- This was the only thing the booster had to add to the normal guy.

- Details on Land Control clearly show that super guilds and their little mind control guilds like Tempest "Powered by Storm (TM)" will make it a waste of time to spend all your guild money to put up a tower. If we are open to attack by guilds that are order of magnitudes more powerful than us in ways that the game engine cannot figure out, then we can't be ensured of enjoying combat with guilds who are truly in our league. = I can buy dinner and enjoy it instead of spending all guild money on something that will be gone in one day.

Yalmahas for billionaires. Personal Towers that can't be made by normal players. Land control game for MoK and Storm and everyone else destroyed.

I only want to hear from the game designers how they will speak to these issues:

- What do I get for 19.95 that is for the normal player in a normal guild with a normal bank account and normal skills?

- How can a normal guild with two dozen good friends enjoy tower combat with other guilds made of two dozen good friends without 1.) making the bank empty for one little battle 2.) being destroyed by all the Twink guilds that are made (like lvl74 traders in PvP financed by bored lvl 200 MA's) simply to destroy us?

I never heard sastafactory.

Originally posted by Cz
    Don't take what you see in a ripped database as 100% set in stone. We're still doing lots of tweaking on the towers and all that, so things will change.
    Now, now Cz...you make it sound like "ripped databases" are somehow inherantly inaccurate or something.

It seems like it would be more appropriate to say "Don't take what you see in a beta version of the game . . . ", as anyone playing the beta would tell you that the reqs are exactly how they appear in any such "ripped database."

DB sites are a way to expose players to what Funcom has stuck on their hard drive... And a "ripped database" is mearly allowing a player to view the ResourceDatabase.dat file that takes up 800mb+ on computer. =)

-Jayde

JaydeStargunner, LOL, I know. I'm just teasing people with saying it that way.

They are inaccurate though, but that's on what's available in-game, not the data of the items themselves.

Originally posted by Cz
    JaydeStargunner, LOL, I know. I'm just teasing people with saying it that way.

They are inaccurate though, but that's on what's available in-game, not the data of the items themselves.
    Indeed, so...

But, if you guys tease us advents with another MR boosting item in the DB that doesn't make it into the game though...

Besides, with you saying all that...you probably wouldn't want me to post figures on how many hits I get from Funcom a month.

-Jayde

Solo v Guild Tower Building

It seems a debate has sprung up among those that are interested in Solo Tower building and those that are interested in building Towers for Guild activity.

1) I have no problem with people wanting to have Solo Towers within their ability to build. Solo Towers appear to be intended as temporary structures with limited power, so they shouldn't be horribly expensive or difficult to deploy.

2) High level guild-type Controllers and Towers should be expensive, and they should require high skills in some areas. However, I am concerned about who needs the skills to deploy these Controllers and Towers. Does the guild Leader need these skills? Can anyone in the guild deploy these structures? Even without the permission of guild leaders? Gee, guilds can only deploy 5 Controllers: what if 5 out-of-control members build Controllers without the knowledge and consent of the guild? I'd like to know how this will be handled.

You know what Pumpkin, I was going to make a whole long post. But this is all I need to say.

Notum WARS. Funcom will try to protect the little guy, but in a war between Russia and the U.S. Ireland doesn't wanna get caught in the middle. Band together with smaller guilds for mutual protection.

I don't think I ever heard FC claim that tiny guilds would be able to place their little towers and play their little war games in total impunity. It's war. Don't wanna be part? Don't pay the money.
    Last edited by Cz; Oct 30th, 2002 at 08:35:18.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast