Thread: Apartments: changes and ideas

Lightbulb Apartments: changes and ideas

Apartments have always been a very cool idea (remembering the houses in UO), but they have some issues and limitations I would like to see changed:

Useable storage containers
    Currently dresser drawers, lockers and crates cannot be used for storage. Some would argue that the bank is enough, but not if you want to organize your items into catagories; i.e. clothing, armor, weapons, ammo, etc.

Items set on walls or the floor retaining their graphics properly
    I use a wall in my apartment to store weapons I have built. I would like to see the weapon in it's correct graphic instead of the 'item box' that the game currently uses. The item appears when we equip it, why not when we drop it or hang it. I have 3 paintings of Ross that when hung on a wall, become 'item boxes'. It would make apartment decorating an art that interior decorators would really enjoy.

Electronics and decorations that work
    Probably wishful thinking, but how about making the lights actually function. And stereos that actually work. It would play the ingame music (like that awesome jazz rif) when activated. It seems that the lights could be the same as those floating torches that already exist. And lava lamps should glow and have a sound. There are so many pieces of equipment that exist in missions that have animation, why not apply that to my apartment as well.

Furniture placement made easier
    Anyone who has tried to set even the simplest of items knows this frustration. And some items once laid down never move again. I have a locker that is sideways on a wall in my closet that will not budge.

Apartment size upgrades
    Make it expensive, but an option. I would also like to see several designs (floorplans) available when you first choose.

I want to move
    I should be able to turn in my access key (or destroy it) to be able to change locations. My first character picked the first are unwittingly and it was a poor location, far from any whompa or grid. If I want to move, I should have the option.

Access keys should be labeled
    I am sure that there are many people who simply forgot where they live. Sure, it seems silly, but it really is confusing when you first start out in the game and can be easy to forget where you live. The Access Key should have the info of where you live.

Messages via phone or e-mail
    I would like a 'mail' terminal available in my home where friends can send me a message that is available when I enter my apartment. I would like to see a message appear when I enter, like "You have a phone message". I go to the terminal and read the message. It should have a duration of about 3 days before the message simply is erased off the que. In fact, there is already a terminal in the hallway as you enter. Why not give it function? The game already ques msgs sent when offline, so put them in that terminal and allow me to 'call' people from it as well.

Well, there you have it. Just some ideas for apartment improvements.
    Last edited by Subject IV; Dec 12th, 2001 at 20:56:00.

I agree I would use my apartment alot more if even half of those were implamented.

Also, being able to hear the trade channels while in your apparment would be great in my book also.
    Fausto Biggfoo Clyburn

Are you some kind of robot? And if so what kind of powers do you have? Do you use them for Good? or for Awesome?

Home shopping network.

Seriously. I ordered AO online and had it delivered to my home; why can't I order regular nano rechargers 28,000 years from now? I mean, WTF?

Or, at the VERY least, a bank terminal in the bloody apartment. Perhaps even a scanner...

Since someone brought this up again, I thought I would *bump* my original post of ideas

bump

Bump. I always support apartment/living upgrades.

Originally posted by Vrach
    Home shopping network.

Seriously. I ordered AO online and had it delivered to my home; why can't I order regular nano rechargers 28,000 years from now? I mean, WTF?

Or, at the VERY least, a bank terminal in the bloody apartment. Perhaps even a scanner...
    How many mining operations setup a home shopping network? Afterall RubiKa is just a plantesized oil well.

I would think that a goverment presented their troops with supplies 'on the spot'. I mean, having to run back to the nearest city just becase you can't call for ammunition is rather wierd.

Oh, and things are being sent over the grid. Fixers can summon it. So why can't we players use the actual delivery system, if we pay enough?
    *poof*

Finally free from this nightmare!

It would also help the economy that is currently going out of hand, if we had apartments and/or houses to spend money on, or pay another player to spend money on.
    Kind Regards
    Prince "Morphex" Olveda

Agent Professional
    Proud Member of Legion
    [pic] [stat] [eqp]

Unknown: "I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect"
    Scope755: "To all Devs: ISNT SOO COOL TO BE NOT WELCOME IN INFERNO SK TEAMS."