Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PvP flag...

PvP flag...

I know this has been suggested before but it has been a while since I saw it.

Apparently it is possible (or will be when booster is released) to have PvP flags in AO!

My simple suggestion is that for people not wanting to fight only over the towers, give us a the option to turn on the PvP flag manually. Do it in a smart way so it doesn't work like an on - off switch but maybe like the booster suggests, make it impossible to switch in either direction for at least 4 hours.

I hate the way the booster pack has already changed the gas levels around Rubi-Ka, more or less the only option we will have to PvP will be the towers, 2ho or MMD.
    It would also be interesting to see how many actually would activate their PvP flag...
    Dominata
    Member of THM

Yeah im all for this idea... Its sounds cool with the notum wras pvp flag on those who attack a tower... however, was it everyone who could attack u like 0% zone?

If so it would suck, if u made this as a turn on function, im all for some more PvP action, but I would like it to be Omni vs Clans instead of everyone Vs everyone, afterall there is this thing called, STORY...
    Jamesdum President of Ragnarok
    Jamespond Member of Ragnarok
    Jamespond2 Member of Ragnarok

Want to join Ragnarok?

Quote on BrutalThug
    Because we have spy's in EVERYONE's guild so we can plan the attack while you sleep !! yeah ! hmm we clearly need to rename the guild to "nordic echelon"

I *think* that the way it will work is that there will be 2 different flags, a 0% flag and a 25% flag.

E.g., if you're a clanner, and you hit an Omni tower, you're flagged 25% vulnerable; Omni can hit you.

If you're a clanner and hit a Clan tower, you're flagged 0%, and ANYONE can go after you.

Dunno how neuts will fit in, but I imagine they'll get the shaft as per usual.
    Gunned down the young. Now old, crotchety, and back.

Blah

When I first read this I thought AO was actually going to implement a flagged PvP system (such as AC and many MUDs use). I got all excited for a minute there.. I *so* prefer flag-based PvP to zone-based. But anyway, guess not.

/me misses being a red dot on the radar.

--K

K - it is going to be flag-based, not zone based.

I also don't see any reason why FC couldn't allow people to voluntarily enable their PvP flag w/o having to do tower attacks, though there'd have to be restrictions on changing the flag status (must wait 2 hours, or takes 5 minutes to change, etc, etc).
    Gunned down the young. Now old, crotchety, and back.

No, no, when I say flag-based I mean, essentially, completing a quest or selecting an option that makes you able to attack any other player, in any location, who has also completed that quest or selected that option.. until the flag is reversed.

Unless I'm misunderstanding this - but if you 'become flagged' by attacking a tower, is that permanent? And if it is, does that mean non-flagged people can attack you in other zones, but you can't attack them unless they attack first? If so.. bleah. This is why I am not a neutral

I played AC (which had a flag-based PvP system) for three years. All of my characters were +PvP. It worked beautifully, however, there were a few problems with it (let me start by saying 2-4 hours is not NEARLY long enough to go non-pvp again).

In AC, you kneeled at a shrine to Bael'zharon in a semi-remote location to go PK. Once you had done this, you appeared on the radar as a red dot, and could attack/were attackable by, other PKs. This applied in ANY location, with no level restrictions. If a certain person despised PvP, well, they just didn't use the shrine. There was generally a fairly low PK population on the normal servers, which meant that you didn't necessary get killed every time you went to a store to shop or anything like that. But the sense of potential danger was always there, and it made the PvP aspect of the game much more exciting (at least to me).

In AC, you had to wait a certain length of time after the last person you had killed, in order to go non-PK again. This was done by using Asheron's Altar, at the bottom of a fairly low level dungeon. As I recall, it was 24 hours in game since the last time you had killed someone. This was not NEARLY long enough. Since making the flag truly permanent would tick off a lot of people (ie, those who went +PvP and then decided they really didn't enjoy that aspect of the game), I would like to see going non-PvP only possible once. This means if you go +PvP and decide you don't want to do it anymore, you can go back, but if you go +PvP again after that, you're stuck that way. People will inevitably not like that either, so a VERY lengthy wait time should be necessary (24 hours, again, was nowhere near long enough. I'm thinking more like a week in game time. ) The reason for this is that people would go red for a day, gank a bunch of n00bs and grief their asses off, then stay logged in for 24 hours in a building in the middle of the woods, then *poof* go non-PvP again, preventing any retribution for their actions.

Anyway, that was the system I was thinking of, and the one I far, far prefer. For the casual PvPer, arenas and zones like MMD are nice.

--K
    Last edited by Karanya; Oct 25th, 2002 at 04:55:45.

Well u get flagged for 4 hours if u attack a tower... only place u can hide is in a solomission.... everyone can attack u in this time, even if they are unflagged, u can only attack back...
    As far as I understood u only get flagged for 4 hours, if ur guild doesnt have any towers... if ur guild do have towers, then the shields on your towers will go down, in the time u attack other guilds towers, and make them more vulnerable or something like that...
    Jamesdum President of Ragnarok
    Jamespond Member of Ragnarok
    Jamespond2 Member of Ragnarok

Want to join Ragnarok?

Quote on BrutalThug
    Because we have spy's in EVERYONE's guild so we can plan the attack while you sleep !! yeah ! hmm we clearly need to rename the guild to "nordic echelon"

Originally posted by Jamespond
    Well u get flagged for 4 hours if u attack a tower... only place u can hide is in a solomission.... everyone can attack u in this time, even if they are unflagged, u can only attack back...
    So in other words, you're like a neutral in a PvP zone for 4 hours. Yuck.

--K

City guards need to funtion like towers. Shoot an Omni guard, be open to attack from Omnis for 4 hours.
    k- This message has been reviewed by intrusive goons searching for "evil-doers".

You only pick up the flag if you attack a tower while not part of an org.

(I think it's set up like this to discourage Level 200s from griefing some low level guild just for the heck of it.)
    --
    Kenlon- Combat Medic, RK1
    "This! Is! My! Boomstick!" Gear.

Creaky old vet, back for another go-round.

The system for changing your flag status would of course have to be considered carefully to avoid what you are talking about, Karanya.
    While they are at it FC should also consider modifying the level range in PvP, the 75 - 200 range is ridiculous in extreme.
    Dominata
    Member of THM

another guy suggested something even better.
    Pvp terminals, similar to save terminals or whatever and when you click on them you change your pvp status (75% to 25%). These would be placed in all major cities and could only be used once every hour. Thatd be brilliant.

oh and after clickign the term you wait 5 mins for it to take effect. So no term campers waiting for people to change and kill em .
    Witeboog - Soldier RK2
    First to Pandemonium on RK2
    First into IS on RK2
    First into TOTW on RK2 First to 220 on RK2
    First to form an org on RK2 First to 200 on RK2
    First soldier with ql 200 Spasmodic Assault Rifle
    First omni on RK2 First post on forums
    First Grand Master on RK2
    First to PvP on RK2
    First to solo The Beast on RK2

Whiteboog: Nice.

I like.
    --

Better idea: Put the PvP terms into the apartments.
    --

I think that'd have to be a different sort of PvP tag. If it only made you open to attack from anyone, but unable to initiate combat... who would use it? The PvPers would just be sitting around waiting for the poor schmuck who used it, expecting to be able to PvP.

It'd have to be a sort of tag that required both parties to use it in order to attack other people with the same tag on sight.
    k- This message has been reviewed by intrusive goons searching for "evil-doers".

yup thats what i mean. Only people who both have pvp settings to the same can fight.
    Witeboog - Soldier RK2
    First into IS on RK2
    First to PvP on RK2

omg pvp flags will be awesome! it will finally allow people that want to pvp to pvp anywhere they want! thank you! can you say.. SWEET! i can. :D
    No matter where I go, there I am.

just another idea for the sake of it. How about you can ask people to duel anywhere in the game (like on jedi knight 2) then if they accept your proposal you are both able to attack each other untill one of you dies (you can ask someone for a duel even if you are nowhere near them).
    Witeboog - Soldier RK2
    First into IS on RK2
    First to PvP on RK2

Very cool. =)

Duels would be sweet...

PvP flagged "outlaws" would be very very sweet.

A flag like that could be great for RPers of a certain type as well. If you wanted to be an outlaw sort, you could fight your own and be shot on sight by your own side's guards.

People like Omni-Pol would be able to actually do a little enforcing inside city boundaries. Or outside of it- either way.

Here's hoping they extend the use of this PvP flag beyond towers.
    Last edited by Blue Cat; Oct 26th, 2002 at 19:32:42.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast