Thread: Roots

Roots

Umm ok debuff root breaking is fixed... it wasnt intended... was it then intended for me to sit for 7.5 mins after every single root class mob I kill in solo missions because they still deathbed cast roots more often than I care to count.

I can understand player cast roots should only be broken by damage and not the debuffs (although I thought it added some level of tactics and it didnt always break them anyways).

Easily sorted by having another general nano one with a large recharge time say about 10 secs that purges roots. Not viable in pvp because it takes WAY too long to cast again because of the nanoes recharge but good for when your soloing a mission and dont want to wait for 7.5 mins between mobs.

This needs to be available in the general store not boss loot and have horrendously low reqs... actually considering the low reqs etc make the casting time 10 secs and the recharge 10 or 20 secs since this formula would be low ql and remove all roots up to the top end ones so we cant have it being abused in pvp now can we.

Just had another thought. Maybe upon the death of the debuff mob in question the programs could either cancel (this would likely negate the overwhelming danger of adds when solo) or have the duration remaining reduced by 80%. This solution would likely be more code intensive so go for the first one I think .
    Last edited by TanisAS; Oct 24th, 2002 at 17:21:46.
    I am Kong.

Strong and passionate, I tend to be misunderstood, sometimes even feared. I don't want to fight, I don't want to cause trouble, all I ask is a little love, and a little peace. If I don't get what I want, I get angry, and throw barrels and flaming oil at whatever's stopping me.

EXCELLENT IDEA!

Here's another thing that is sure to suck about not being able to break roots:

Outdoor pvp. Rooter class hits you with a 20 minute root and instead of killing you, walks away and leaves you

And btw, doesn't this sorta make area snares and area roots a bit overpowered?

Another imbalance: Nt or crat roots a melee profession, moves out of range, nukes, roots again and repeats this until you're dead. Seems enforcers and adventurers will be seriously hurt by this change.

Perhaps since MP stuns were considered so overpowered that they needed a 10 second recharge, Funcom might want to look into something like this for roots as well. But then this messes up pvm, doesn't it? Heh, seems the only solution is to leave things the way they are, doesn't it?
    Last edited by THEDEACON!; Oct 24th, 2002 at 18:16:47.
    Nanomage: The OTHER other white meat

Originally posted by TheDeacon
    EXCELLENT IDEA!

Outdoor pvp. Rooter class hits you with a 20 minute root and instead of killing you, walks away and leaves you
    Just to clear some things up.. top roots last a bit less than 5min.. top snares are the 20+ ones

And btw, doesn't this sorta make area snares and area roots a bit overpowered?
    And UVC isn't a good nano? Or everybody needing reflect/essence? Or a bunch of NTs with AOE nukes? AOE snares/roots are part of the game.

Another imbalance: Nt or crat roots a melee profession, moves out of range, nukes, roots again and repeats this until you're dead. Seems enforcers and adventurers will be seriously hurt by this change.
    Enforcers have rage.
    MAs have green bow and high damage output.
    Advs have good ranged skills and heals.
    Not every profession should fare equally well with each other.

Perhaps since MP stuns were considered so overpowered that they needed a 10 second recharge, Funcom might want to look into something like this for roots as well. But then this messes up pvm, doesn't it? Heh, seems the only solution is to leave things the way they are, doesn't it?
    Well roots break so easily and your target can fight back. Chain stunning leaves the enemy helpless.
    Rebbeca Omni Tek President
    RHD Black Watch Regiment

"Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient means for going backwards."
    -Aldous Huxley

EXCELLENT IDEA!

..............Another imbalance: Nt or crat roots a melee profession, moves out of range, nukes, roots again and repeats this until you're dead. Seems enforcers and adventurers will be seriously hurt by this change.................
    I don't see this as an imbalance. A melee class will now be at the disadvantage to rooting professions that was intended if they decide to 1 on 1 PvP in a large, open area. Notice I said disadvantage and not imbalance. As a non-GA wearing Fixer this is my most used tactic agains MOBs, fighting till I get low health and then rooting, getting out of range, then coming back to finish them off. Or snaring melee MOBs and always staying out of range while firing a couple rounds, moving out of range, rinse and repeat.

Most people that 1 on 1 PvP don't hang out in large open areas so there shouldn't be much of a problem. Enforcers still have Mongo, so this shouldn't be too bad on them. Maybe people will just finally realize that PvP in this game is supposed to be a team sport and not about title farming?

I don't PvP myself, but I've read the PvP boards and expect to get flamed long and hard, so let's get on with it.
    Last edited by Slyyk; Oct 24th, 2002 at 18:43:01.
    Slyykie - 200+ Shade
    Slyyk - 200+ Fixer

Members of Alphastrike
    ------------------------------------------------
    Sarcasm rules! Go prance around in the forest you silly pixie.

Im an MA myself and bows have suck range...

But if you notice I suggested massive cast and recharge times on this general nano becuase im well aware the I am meant to be at a disadvantage in say a field hehe.

Im mainly worried about lost game time though as mentioned above griefing... you cant kill me because im 120 odd levels your senior but you can hold me still for far longer than you need to run away from me.

I dont want this suggestion to affect the pvp advantage roots will now give I just want one there to prevent griefing and to stop me having 7.5 mins downtime when solo missioning
    I am Kong.

Strong and passionate, I tend to be misunderstood, sometimes even feared. I don't want to fight, I don't want to cause trouble, all I ask is a little love, and a little peace. If I don't get what I want, I get angry, and throw barrels and flaming oil at whatever's stopping me.

Oh yeah, I'm all for having root breaker devices for use outside of combat.. just make sure it works on my bot too
    Rebbeca Omni Tek President
    RHD Black Watch Regiment

"Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient means for going backwards."
    -Aldous Huxley

Several root resistance things on the horizon I see... not for everyones class but bot increased root resistance is way overdue, and as you say this nano not being self only or counting as an aggresive nano program thus making it castable on bots would go some of the way to sort the engi bot problems... other than the suck atk rating attack speed pathing damage... ok it does nothing lol.

Stops a bit of annoyance tho... sorry stops a BIT of the annoyance that comes with bots
    I am Kong.

MAs have that great bow skill, so I cant include them into the equation (lol give someone a bow buff, even a soldier please. just add it somewhere). And yeah you're absolutely right about enforcer's rage, it'll pretty much be the exact same as it is for them now. No problem.

But adventurers mostly use melee, as most pistols are teh suck.

But something just occured to me that I overlooked before. Perhaps the root fix is not as bad as I thought.....The root fix is drawing my MA to raise bow skill very soon and with a movement predictor (To be honest, ive never stopped to try one of these out, so please correct any misinformation I might give here), I won't be too bad off. Because I'm using diversity and STRATEGY!

I think the extra strategies that this brings to the game might be for the good actually. Adventurers will swap between melee and pistols (electronicum v3 I hear is decent and I have bags of them in the bank), MAs will switch as well.

This also balances things for some rooting professions such as crats, agents and NTs which have (I believe) dark blue body dev..

I dunno, I only speak from the perspective of a handful of classes, but after reading your replies I think I'd like to retract my above comments

But oh yeah, root/snare breakers (10 second cast time like someone suggested) are an excellent idea.

Even if they fix the debuff thing there will still be a number of ways to break roots even if you are are a non nuking class.

First if you are a nuking class you can just use a low end nuke and nuke yourself free. this will include NTs, Crats, Metas, Traders, and Agents. Traders can health funnel themselves and agents can dot themselves.

If you are a non nuking class you will need to stockpile pills with DOTs, you can use these on yourself the same way that's mentioned above, they are very easy to find, you can even have an alt scrape them up for you in solo missions. My PVP MA collected a ton of these for just this occourance.

I think the reason why you don't see too many people complaining is because most people figured this out a long time ago. There is always a work around

Again im quite happy to be rooted in pvp and slaughtered... its as it should be... kinda..

Just more worried about griefing and solo missions since this nano would have too high a cast time and recharge to be useful at any stretch of the imagination in pvp.

Just so you dont have to sit around for 5-7.5 mins at my level waiting for it to wear off.
    I am Kong.

But oh yeah, root/snare breakers (10 second cast time like someone suggested) are an excellent idea.

There is one in the test database, for fixers. 12 seconds cast time.
    Also, not in the db yet but it is very likely all professions will be getting those things in some form, every profession will have a way to break root. Phear not!
    Last edited by cold; Oct 24th, 2002 at 21:31:50.

I also agree every class should have a root/snare breaker for after battle.

Posted by Ityn

If you are a non nuking class you will need to stockpile pills with DOTs, you can use these on yourself the same way that's mentioned above, they are very easy to find, you can even have an alt scrape them up for you in solo missions. My PVP MA collected a ton of these for just this occourance.

I don't know about pills, but I tried to DoT myself with a charged nano finger and got the message that I couldn't attack myself.
    Slyykie - 200+ Shade
    Slyyk - 200+ Fixer

Members of Alphastrike
    ------------------------------------------------
    Sarcasm rules! Go prance around in the forest you silly pixie.

Maybe they "fixed" them. It used to work

I just dont wanna have to sit about for 7.5 mins when im in a solo mission or after the battle... or be open to griefing from say lvl 75 players who havent a hope in hell of killing me.
    I am Kong.

I'd go for a couple of those debuff removers.
    It's a bit anoying to sit for 3 mins while I wait for the last deprive to run out.
    (Yeah, of course after I killed that trader mob. Pvp is alltogether different.)
    May your RD always kick in between death and reclaim.
    Honest Businessmen and women: The Mockers
    I eat Grid Armor nanos. *BURP* Hungry again!
    Power Users run Anarchy Online from Linux.