Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Patch Notes 14.6 Pros and Cons

Originally posted by Farraday
    You're right, Pip... I hadn't thought of it that way, but it makes more sense than someone actually saying "I wanna camp mobs" =P

The fact still remains though, that it's there because we the players asked for it.

I really feel sorry for Funcom at times.. and every other online game company. No matter what they do, SOMEONE is always *****ing at them.. that's gotta suck.
    Well, the problem is that most suggestions players make only illustrate what they percieve to be the good aspects. The players who come up with these ideas or support these ideas very rarely if ever bother to think of the bad things that can go with what they propose.

For example, recently in Neocron, they introduced some rare weapons in a patch that could only be found. Because they would not be researched, they could not be copied by tradeskill players, thus keeping them rare. At first players shouted a resounding "Yippy!" Then came the voices of reason....

Players responded to the creation of these rares with valid negatives points. These points included things like the fact that the highest weapons in the game would no longer require constructors. Since the economy in thta game is based on players making all the best equipment, it would ruin the economy. Another obvious bad point brought up was of course the camping involved.

Once the "C" word was mentioned, the players originally supporting the idea realized the mistake they had made in supporting the introduction of rare weapons. They still wanted weapons that really meant something, that couldn't be copied, but they also wanted to keep make sure it didn't destroy the player economy. They also didn't want camping. So, Reakktor came up with a solution that the community is still hoping will work out well in the long run:

Instead of these weapons being found whole, you only find pieces. These pieces are labeled as "Unknown" when you find them, so you must bring them to a researcher in order to have the part became a valid component. Once you have all the parts to a particular rare item, you need a constructor to build it for you. The quality of the result depends on the constructors skill and any slot enhancers, etc. used in the process, just like any other item. The difference, is that the finished product can not have blueprints made, and thus cannot be copied. This keeps alive the player economy portion of it. In fact, it benefits the player economy even more, since these items can only be made by other players, and cannot be found whole or purchased whole. The way they addressed the camping issue, was to simply make it so that virtually any mob of a sufficiently high enough rank has a chance of dropping a part of virtually any kind. The rarity is not so high as to be annoying, but high enough that you certainly can't guarantee a part. It's at a point where you can only get one if you can solo a high ranking mob without too much difficulty.

Camping only happens when several conditions are met:

1) Mob has predictable location and at least moderately predictable spawntime
    2) Mob is the only place you can get a certain item
    3) Certain item is powerful

Some mobs that require camping actually aren't too bad. Well, Neleb, and the Cyborg spawns. No other camped mobs in the game have acceptable spawntimes/drop rates.

So how do you fix the mobs that are currently camped? There are many steps that need ot be taken. First off, they shouldn't always spawn in the same location. So, for example, the lab Director of Biomare should sometimes spawn in other rooms in Biomare. In fact, it would be even better if sometimes he spawned OUTSIDE of Biomare even. There should be an additional timer that causes him to despawn and respawn somewhere else if he does not enter combat for a certain amount of time. So, you could make it so there is a chance he will spawn in various rooms inside Biomare, but also have a chance of him spawning for example, at the Bronto factory in Galway, or possibly even in Omni-1 itself. Make him seem like a living entity that actually interacts with the online world, instead of a mindless creature to thwack. The same can be done with other mobs, like TIM. TIM could spawn inside Biomare, or possibly some zone where his "effectiveness" could be tested. When he spawns elsewhere you could perhaps surround him with "lab Tester" mobs that are observing how he interacts in the field.

Some people might say: "So how would we find these spawns?" Well the answer is have spots where you can find clues. For example, to find the Director, maybe asking his computer terminal might list his last known whereabouts. Similar things for TIM. For Zuwadza you could maybe ask Horatio Campbell about something. Heck, you could even spawn random NPCs just for the purpose of giving info on the whereabouts of certain uber bosses.

So, what does all this do? First thing it accomplishes is that you can't just sit in one spot and expect the boss to show up. Second thing it accomplishes is that it makes you feel like these NPCs are more alive. Heck, sometimes certain bosses should sometimes spawn in 100% suppression areas. That way all you could do is talk to them. You'd actually get to see them walking around going about their business. I'd love to be able to walk through City of Home and suddenly see Elian Zuwadza standing there muttering to himself about some kind of experiments Omni-Tek is doing. For those who don't know it, Zuwadza does not aggro, and he does in fact have things to say, unfortunately, you'll never find out because he's dead 3 seconds after he appears. Give these characters life and player craving content will be very happy. Even power gamers would like it because it would provide variation to the camping.

Of course, I have done the typical player-idea thing and not really pointed out the negative aspects of my idea for changing up ubercamped mobs. Please feel free to address negative issues surrounding this idea in this thread.
    Last edited by PipBoy; Oct 25th, 2002 at 19:50:20.

Pipboy

"I can think of a lot of strategies that can work against pet casting NPCs.

As a crat, I can charm their pet and use it to kill them

I can AREA MEZZ the place, have my droid attack a pet, charm the pet then have the pet attack the master.

I can do the same as mentioned above but charm 2 pets"

after playing on test, if and when you can get a charm to stick on a mob pet they just instacast another.

Originally posted by Farraday
    You're right, Pip... I hadn't thought of it that way, but it makes more sense than someone actually saying "I wanna camp mobs" =P

The fact still remains though, that it's there because we the players asked for it.

I really feel sorry for Funcom at times.. and every other online game company. No matter what they do, SOMEONE is always *****ing at them.. that's gotta suck.
    They did a poll on the camping subject. The overwhelming result was nobody wanted to camp. They wanted to be able to get L33w7, but not camp. Funcom officially responded that they did not like the camping concept and would not be promotting it. Then they came out with campable items and quests.

Thats how I saw it anyways.

Someone is always going to be whatevering at them, the difference is that they could have people praising them in the majority and cursing them in the minority if they would just take a moment to think these things through.

Mobs with pets, I have no prob with as long as the MOBS get effected by deprives etc etc etc etc etc nanos the same way as PCs, and they have the same IP expendeture restrictions, instead of MAX perception, MAX weapon skills, MAX body dev etc etc etc etc. IM not on test but from what I hear this isnt happening nor will it be happening in the near future which basically means that a MOB with a PET is much more powerful than a player with a pet (perspectivly).

Heavypacker: You need to answer the deprive ransack question. Also IM loading up test tonight, give me your name so I can hook up and see whats going on. Ill post here in support once I can see it with my own eyes. Thanks

PipBoy: Sounds like you need to hook up with Heavypacker as well and get the whole mezzing stuff figured out. I agree with allot of what you had to say and I think non mezzing professions are going to be screwed pretty severely. I personally enjoy playing my advent, but I dork around with other professions from time to time and find that the mezzing profs already have a decent advantage over the non mezzing profs in solo missions.

Ityn: Not everyone does team missions all the time. Perhaps at your current level they do, but at the low to 100 levels IM finding I constantly do solo missions (Or solo team missions) while waiting for a team to open up or to restock my finances. If there were three pet classes in the main entry, I would exit, and delete the mission. And yes it would probably be enough to make me consider playing SWG (when it comes out) or anything else for that matter... As far as a challenge, some things are a challenge, other things are just flat out abusive. Yes lets take our shoes off and walk accross this field of glass shards, think of the challenge! I dont mind risk with the potential of success, but risk without even a chance at success is unacceptable. Zoning in and out of a mission is, in my mind, not something the game designers had in mind when they made the missions and at best is cheatting. Dont mean to lay it on so thick, but my chosen profession doesnt mez (Highly resistant non agro calms dont count ) and while I think mezzing professions rock, they shouldnt be the only viable choice.
    Quinn Erorr Cratty

Quinn glares, "You have failed me for the last time Janitor Bob!"

I'd like folks to respond to my post on camping solutions also. Negative feedback is just as worthwhile as positive additional suggestions. Every suggestion has good and bad points to it. Worthwhile suggestions to implement are ones that will attract more players or do a good job at keeping the ones that might leave soon because of boredom etc., and at the same time not anger too many players.

Amount of effort comes into play here though. Any change which is significant enough to require a lot of effort (e.g. land control), must have sufficient potential to draw significant numbers of players to the game while at the same time having very little risk of losing current players.

At this point, it seems that Funcom has dedicated all of their programmers to Notum Wars and Shadowlands. These 2 changes have potential to draw new customers. In order to draw new customers they need to advertise these changes. In order to advertise they need to fund that advertisement by basiclaly selling the patch.

So, the question we all have to figure out the answer to is how much effort is enough to require an expansion pack or booster? Latest trends show that no fundamental code changes are done in any patches with the exception of a few VERY minor additions. As such, the kinds of changes we should propose to Funcom should be ones that do not involve changing too much of the fundamental code; merely tweaking numbers in a database. For this reason, I don't think dynamic missions will be added unless they are added by means of another booster pack. Honestly, for dynamic missions, I would not object to pay $20. Of course since it is an addition and does not change the rest of gameplay, those who don't wish to pay would not be hindered in any way.

As for my suggestion to the changes in mob spawning, that's a mere tiny tweak in the code. If we find that the problems with my suggestion (with certain innevitable adjustments) are fewer and not as major as the ones with the current spawncamping system, then it seems that it would be a logical decision on Funcom's part to implement such a system.

So, give whatever input you can for this idea and any tweaking and changes you feel need to be done to it to make it viable. For dynamic mission suggestions, please add your suggestions to the "Dream Mission" thread in the "Suggestions" forum (thread started by Trosida). Players can actually make a difference in a game, the key is understanding limits and motivations of the company in charge of the final word.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12