Thread: melee vs ranged while moving

Question melee vs ranged while moving

I am rather new to this game and feel that I enjoy it tremendously. But when I read the different threads on the forum I feel pity for some reason. Many complain about their classes and on class equipment/nano/weapons and so on. After all, it is supposed to be differences between the classes, as there should be differences when choosing if you want to go melee or ranged. But when ranged becomes close combat and melee becomes ranged I think something is amiss.

1. I wonder why it is possible to run after someone and stab them in melee, but its not possible to run after someone while shooting.
    2. I also wonder at what range melee is allowed. It seems to me that melee combat is within the same range as ranged combat, although I cant tell for sure since the greatest range I have had was around 18 metres when this happened to me.

If I head back to the first question, I dont know what all other think of it, but my concern is that it is something that provide a tremendous advantage for melee based characters + it is a sure playerkiller when one tries to flee from a place and a mob is following you (if the mob is melee based and faster than you I buy it), however if the mob is as fast or slow as you he should NOT be able to do that. If we look on a ranged based mob, or player, it is only a matter of aiming to shoot the fleeing person.

Now for my final thought, If there are people that feel that my thoughts are completely out of the sky then tell me why. If you agree let me know as well. What I am looking for is some kind of reality in the game. A gun (any) hit you at a distance of 30 feet without problem, a clenhed fist or quarterstaff wont succeed in that I promise.

1) roots are the bane of melee, lots of ranged classes have roots. It is that variance you were talking about, in order to compensate for the weakness melee have with roots they swing while running. There are supposed to be other compensations as well but they are still working on what they want to do about the differences it seems

2)If you shift-left click on a weapon you can see its range. There are also items in the game that increase this range.

Welcome, enjoy
    I am Dnastyone Official Broom pusher for The Professionals
    Painmage my newest funnest guy
    PHEAR ME RK1 Yazule IMMMM BACK

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

Arrow

Most melee weapons have a range of 3-4m. This is pretty much irrelevant in missions, but outdoors it is quite noticable. The use of range increasers with melee weapons - well, this probably shouldn't be permited, melee weapon's range should be fixed.

Also, the range on your client and the actual range may not be exactly the same (or even close to the same) due to lag and desync issues that can arise.

Oh, and trying to hit someone with a sword whilst running is a bit easier than trying to hit them with a gun whilst running.
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

Arrow

Unless you're 10 feet back, when you'll never hit them with the sword (you could throw it....try throwing a 3 foot longsword at someone running from you though) and have an easy time hitting them with a gun

AO will never "make sense" like real world mechanics, its not really made for that. Its 30k years in the future too

There are plenty of mods for some FPS games that try to come pretty close to real world mechanics. (aka the person with the smg destroys the one with the knife unless totally surprised at very close range)
    mercatura -ae f. [trade, traffic; merchandise]

Moved off-world and found real tradeskills...along with many other things