Just tossing this out there, feel free to critique or modify.

I'm thinking get rid of the equipping requirements for burst/fa/fling/aimed shot for firearms. Make the equip requirement solely based on the type of weapon mg/smg, pistol, shotty, etc.

As far as I see it, the base weapon skill would let you determine if you can use the single shot/standard attack function of the various firearms. Whether or not you can use all the special functions including burst fire or full auto wouldn't necessarially prevent you from using the standard attack.

I also think that you should be able to still use the special functions of a weapon, even if you haven't tossed a single IP into the various skills (burst, fa, etc). But you also shouldn't expect to hit for any worthwhile dmg unless you've spent the points for it. So basically you'd be wasting ammo.

The previous listed require for burst/fa/etc would be the benchmark for effectiveness of that special. So if a SMG took MG/SMG 300 and Burst 300, you could equip it with a MG/SMG skill of 300 and Burst skill of 10, but not expect to use the burst function with any real effectiveness.

Actually I think the whole use of requirements before you can equip a weapon is a bit skewed, and that we could probably do away with requirements and instead make the end result (dmg) based purely on the users skill level. But that's another issue.

As for melee users, I'll leave it to you guys to figure out what sorta requirements a melee weapon needs. Im thinking knowing how to fast attack with a broadsword without killing yourself is more difficult that capping off a burst and not killing yourself.