Thread: a few mp suggestions, bump if you can feel the love!

a few mp suggestions, bump if you can feel the love!

I know every mp in game has probably compiled a list, but since CZ said to keep the suggestions here and out of other posts I'll do it.

firstly, mp attack pets, it goes without saying that they are very much gimped, 1 because cacodemons speed is actually slower than a globe type pet and damage is negligable since the globe pet attacks faster and makes up for it..only advantage, cacodemon has way more hp, but in a group does that really make a difference? as most mobs are dead by the time i hit the attack macro. 2. pet patching, need I even say anything here?
    3 pets attack power never goes up, I think it was capped at 700 or 800 can't recall. Their damage never goes up, even as the mp levels and pumps more points into their nano skills, however, soldiers, mas, enforcers etc have their attack ratings go up as long as they are able to feed points into their appropriate skills. basically cacodemon fades out of effectiveness as you level as it can not keep up with mobs the higher ql missions you go.

Secondly. Mp attack nanos, mindscream is what I use now, can do up to 1500 damage..in reality it hits for maybe up to 900 most of the time less, around 6 to 700 points. I can fire off maybe 10 or 11 shots before having to recharge, at average damage it doesn't scratch the mob, but for some reason it send them beelining after me, and with pathetically low hitpoints that is a bad thing..usually i can avoid dying by running around a corner into an empty room, and pray my pet draws it's attention..what fun!! Increase the damage of these nanos, and reduce their aggro amount, no way in the world I should be drawing aggro when an MA in the group is doing 3 times more damage.

Third. Summoned weapons, who's smart idea was this anyway? not only do mps have to meet 3 nano skill requirements to cast it, but they need to have skill in very very very dark blue skills to wield the things..1 and 2 hand blunt, the weapons themselves are a joke..a little to nanopool and nano init, negligable, as well as the armor increase as it really doesn't make a difference on a class and breed with low hitpoints anyway. the answer I get from most mps when I ask why they use them, the answer comes back the same "they look cool" and they do, I love the 2 hand blunt staffs, but I'll never raise 2 hand blunt for a fashion statement. either increase the damage on these to make the investment in weaponskills viable or leave them as is and remove the blunt requirement.

Fourth. PVP, MPs for the most part equal no no, now I know some mps pvp and they say they are good at it, I don't know their secret or even if they're telling the truth, I can only speak from given facts about my own class experiences. 1, no one is dumb enough to stand there and let an attack pet rip into them so relying on a pet like in pvm is a bad idea. 2 see above, our weaponskils are horribly pathetic, we wouldn't be able to wield anything useful in pvp even with wrangles and outside buffs from other classes, our attack rating would be laughably low..like it should be however, we were not meant to be a weapons focused class, that being the case we need more useful nanos. speaking of which we indeed have none that are useful, the quell anger line is..oh god, it makes me laugh just typing it, lowers damage by a few measly points, oh that's real useful, I don't know many mps who even bother, or any mps who use and swear by those lines at all. what we need are stronger nukes, damage debuffs greatly increased or a better calm, or root. curse of chronos is useless and doesn't even perform like it's description says, 5 seconds inability to attack or move, but it really on works for 3, not that either are useful in any case.

These are a few things that are wrong.here are a few suggestions that could better improve the class.

Refine summoned weapons, how about a demon skull staff that has a full auto burst effect? it could be as much as a soldier's alpha strike, but the weapon despawns after the attacks are used, could be comprable to a soldier switching weapons in battle. and make it fire AC or radiation. since mps are supposed to be masters and mistresses of summoning, why not give us more pet options? I think is suggested in another post about mps being able to create new pets, maybe pets that attack faster, lke a summoned mantis as opposed to hitting harder like cacodemon, or a pet that heals slower than belamorte, but for much more, like a summoned medusa. also, why not give mps a summoned armor line? I mean if the can summon weapons, why not armor to protect our frail bodies? Meta physical skin it should be called, and works much the same as grid armor, social etc, we'd have to take other armor off, it could look like organic armor or whatever, doesn't matter. like I said above, new nanos would be very nice, area of effect, direct damage, doesn't matter, increase the attack slightly to give us a fighting chance with them.

Now on to grouping, we all know that mps serve no logical function in a group besides buffing people with mochams, i've actually sat in the first room of a mission and just waited until the group needed mochams before I even came out, occasionally some groups want me to make a demon pet for the boss room, but they rarely need it. As I level up and get into higher and higher groups, few members even ask me for mochams anymore, masteries occasionally, so I pretty much assume there will come a time when that is no longer needed as well and then groups will be impossible to get. so we need a nano that will make us attractive to groups, since we are supposed to be the grand commanders of all things meta physical, why nt a group effect nullity type sphere? Make it useful only in groups so other players don't complain about it, make it last depending on the ql of it, like mk shields, low qls being 10 15 seconds, high qls lasting for a couple of minutes, give us the setback of it shutting down our nano skills for a couple of minutes as it will drain us mentally. this will make us very attractive to groups, especially if things start to go sour, or if they are fighting very tough bosses amd quest type npcs. it would raise our usefulness in groups and in team pvp because everyone would want an mp to do the job an mp is SUPPOSED to do, and that's compliment teams with our vast knowledge of nanoskills.

I don't believe this will overpower us in any way, but it'd give us a chance to fight back and also be useful to teams other than just the occasional "mochams whore"
    "Did I tell you that you could speak?....then why are you still talking?."

Most important thing is that groups don't want MP after a while. And when they do want MP's at low levels it's not for anything they do while fighting the mission. It's only for Mocham in the first room, then they will kick you out if they can and get someone who can help them through the mission. And pets don't add to the team even if they are there because the enemy is dead before they hit one time.

Enforcer makes HP = Helps in mission
    Enforcer makes damage
    NT makes damage and calms = Helps in mission. Good buffs too HE and crunch.
    Soldier makes damage and lives against boss with reflect.
    Crat makes calms and big nuke and the BEST buff Baton
    Trader makes Calms and roots and high level he makes wrangler 100+ constantly for team
    Doctor = no question about it
    Adventurer makes heals
    MA = best character ever

Enginer = not much but at least Beacon is a help. But they hurt alot like the MP.

MP = crap damage, no crowd control, no heal, no nothing to team after high levels.

Suggestion is to make the MP get some damage somehow. I like a Dark Katana someone said. Sword skill is easy for MP to raise. Then make damage pets that don't have to follow you around. Make pets that don't last too long so you don't care if they get lost. Make pets like crat speech that make new one every 20 seconds and it only lives 20 seconds.

The mantis was a cool idea. Or a teeny tiny floating bileswarm like the bile in my stomach

(I hate when cookies store the last user, sorry Jayde)

Just a note about your nano. http://v020u46eff.maximumasp.com/AOD...sp?AOID=125761

Check down at the bottom there. Many Crat, MP, and NT nanos have taunts attached on top of the standard damage agro points. That's why the Mob is running after you You have an extreamly fast, simi-consistant damage nano that's gonna be out taunting an enforcer in just a couple hits. It's because of the nano debuff that is attached to it. If you mix that nano with another one (which will likely be less good I know, but beats getting the crap kicked out of ya) you should fair much better.

All debuff nanos have a taunt value. I'm in the same situation with my more damaging nano having a big taunt, so I wait till the second half of the battle to cast it unless there is a very attentive doc on hand.

And most nanos never hit their max damage, min and mid is pretty standard, unfortuantly. So between the taunt and the speed, that's your agro problem. But something to keep in mind is you can use it to control agro to a point. If you're not interested in tanking, but the tank is pretty likely to be going down, blast it with that a couple times so the tank can do a quick heal up. Works pretty well.

So at any rate, that's whats up with your nano. There are allot like em, so you aren't alone in it I hope that's of some help.

well with the nanoresist and bracer fix, mps have become alittle gimped in pvp...but i still see us as one of the best pvp classes out there.

Originally posted by Kiri
    well with the nanoresist and bracer fix, mps have become alittle gimped in pvp...but i still see us as one of the best pvp classes out there.
    I agree! But this is mostly after lvl165 or so
    Nanomage: The OTHER other white meat

Exactly, so what this basically means is that someone has to level up to almost 170 to enjoy playing a class? what sense does that make? i love my mp and I'm not much of a power leveler so it would take me some time to get another character up to her level, I have an MA and a doc, 77 and 85, MAs seem well rounded but it's a raather tough choice as by the time i get an mA that high, people I hang around will have greatly out leveled me...hehe even though it's a silly idea, I'm all for the guy who was talking about profession switch I'd turn my mp into a nanomage fixer, so who cares if she has low hitpoints, at least she'd have grid armor

You're right about the mindscream thing, I forgot all abuot the lower nanoskills by 100 thing, I guess that would tick mobs off a bit. Still though, mps should get more items and nanos that would balance them out for the entire game and not just the 170+ game where one has so many ips it doesn't matter if they have all dark blue attack skills. more pets and better summoned weapons, maybe some armor are the way to go.

I agree with all of this. The most important IMO is that we need new pets. We pretty much do everything with pets, so it gets pretty boring using the same pets for 50-70 levels. After a while they become pretty useless at higher levels as the attack pet's attack rating is low and it can't hit a thing. I think new and improved attack pets is a start. Unfortunately in teaming our pets usually don't get there till the mob is at half health. A fix for pet pathing is really needed, I'd be happy with /pet warp, so at least I can control when/where I warp my pet. Of course I don't think we should be able to warp pets when they are rooted for PVP reasons. Also, I think fixing the mez pet would help a lot. If the mez pet was able to effectively mez a mob, without lag damage, that would help ALOT in team missions. Maybe just let the mez pet cast a root or something. I think the spell that wipes the hate list is probably what causes most of the lag damage. If people think it's too overpowering, say the mez pet can only mez one target every 30 seconds or so, so the mez pet could effectively only mez one add, or make it only useable in team missions. On that note, a lot of the problems with MP's are common problems for other pet classes. I think ALL the pet classes need improved pets/improved attack ratings.
    Bettiepaige level 202 MP
    Sexxynurse level 59 Engineer
    www.badgerbadgerbadger.com
    My armor setup

Originally posted by Shizara
    Exactly, so what this basically means is that someone has to level up to almost 170 to enjoy playing a class?
    Are u talking about the MP class here??? because if u are, then I just have this one line to share with u....

**THERE IS ABSOLUTLY NOTHING AFTER LVL 130 FOR UR MP**

And u dont enjoy it after lvl 170 trust me.... The MP is good the first 130 lvls, from that day, it just downhill....

What I think we need is new pets for the game after lvl 130, and maybe also before lvl 130... We atm we have only ONE kind of attack pet, just like engis and crats..., they all do melee damage, and is supposed to be our tank, and main damage source...
    What we need is new pet types, that do different kinds of damage, just like a soldier can switch a gun... Its boring to have to look at the same pet all the way through 200 lvls... And melee damage is not always the best choice... Give us a choice, like every other proffesion has.... Also we need pets with much higher attackratings, 600 is not enough at lvl 180....
    Jamesdum President of Ragnarok
    Jamespond Member of Ragnarok
    Jamespond2 Member of Ragnarok

Want to join Ragnarok?

Quote on BrutalThug
    Because we have spy's in EVERYONE's guild so we can plan the attack while you sleep !! yeah ! hmm we clearly need to rename the guild to "nordic echelon"

Originally posted by TheDeacon

I agree! But this is mostly after lvl165 or so
    I think I dont understand this one... are u saying MPs is good in pvp after lvl 165?
    Jamesdum President of Ragnarok
    Jamespond Member of Ragnarok
    Jamespond2 Member of Ragnarok

Want to join Ragnarok?

Quote on BrutalThug
    Because we have spy's in EVERYONE's guild so we can plan the attack while you sleep !! yeah ! hmm we clearly need to rename the guild to "nordic echelon"

James, don't compare with Deac. He enjoyed dueling others self buffed. There's a tad bit of difference between that and the battles at 2ho, tag teams at MMD, and lag fests at Camelot. I find in that type of pvp, I'd rather be another prof. I have three alts being built for just that. :P

The creation weapons need a complete overhaul. But they won't be. Funcom told us that they felt the modifiers were right on target.

Higher level nanos. Now, whether we like it or not, we ARE a nano skill buffing prof. This isn't very pronounced for several reasons. We have no self buff that makes us better then another prof. We have no useful nanos to make use of our boosted nano skills, ie: We are using all our useful ones in title 4 at some point. They gave us creation weapons to fill this role, but sadly, we all know how those work. Since MPs were given 'love' when there were about 10 people that you could consider a 'high level', Funcom didn't really bother looking at what the MP prof would be like at that point. When this was brought up to Funcom, the answer was that some MPs seem to enjoy their high level game so it doesn't need any fixing. (Nevermind the absolute dismal amount of active level 175+ MPs who play this game.)

Pets need a boost for all profs. They strike fear in the vocal level 130 and below community, but they are quite pathetic the higher you go. Simplest fix would be increasing the AR drastically, while slashing the base damage. For the MP, it would also be nice if the Caco actually got off the same number of attacks as an enmity. Or as anyone who uses the MA skill does.

That said, we'll never see a thing done to this prof till Shadowlands. From Funcom's pov, as long as the AO community can chant mantras such as, 'MPs got their love.' (Which contained what exactly? ), and as long as most players of AO are level 1-140, there is absolutely no pressure to 'fix' this prof. Turning a deaf ear takes much less effort.

You're probably right, I'd still like to give FC the benefit of the doubt though, they should make more of an effort to balance their classes, I mean, in a couple of months, a new wave of mmorpgs are hitting the market and people are gonna do either of two things...stay loyal and wait for FC to make AO into the great game that it has always had the potential to be...or get tired of paying money only to see their favorite characters go in the dumpsters because they can't compete in an obviously pvp centered game. I've played my mp for about a year now..even when they only had 1 pet and everyone called me insane to play one, even after people told me it's insane to keep playing one after level 130, but I kept going, because to me I felt the mP was a very good concept of a character class, fighting wise and also roleplaying wise, it seemed to me one of the most interesting...however even my patience and love for the class is wearing thin. I don't like to be the whiny type either...'fix my class or I'm gonna quit!!" because I know a company like FC could care less, because despite the game's state, people are still coming in, maybe nt as much as before, but there are still those coming into ao, so 1 account being cancelled doesn't matter that much.

However as I said, I've waited for over a year for this game to become "playable" and I applaud fc for their work, I really do. They managed every other month or so to put in some type of content that got me so curious that I just had to stay..but it's like someone giving you cookies every so often while witholding dinner..you may have that treat for now, but it's empty substance and quickly wears away. I know this is their first huge mmorpg, so it just takes some time to get things right...but a year into the game and we're just now getting stuff that was promised at launch... maybe the future holds more promise witht heir next game installment, I just hope they still hold their customer's faith by then.

Whoah!

Someone actually liked my cursed, living, blood-lusting creation Muramasa (Dark Katana) idea? Amazing! And here I thought that I was just being ignored on the MP boards as just some mystical samurai freak. Heh, good to hear that you liked it, Pumpkin. Perhaps others will catch on to our way of thinking and we'll start seeing some mystical creation weapons that can be our physical manifestations of anger rather than buggy, (and later in our careers) outdated pets. I'd love to see an Atrox MP cracking heads with a red-hot, metaphysical beam (doing fire damage) or an Opifex MP launching shafts of light (A la Reet Tech bow) with a creation Bow and doing decent damage with decent accuracy!

As far as taunt factor with MP nukes. It's only the mind nukes that pull aggro. The Ice nukes do not. So use that to advantage depending on the situation.

By the way, hello Falikos! And Jayde, you've got mail...

Simehiri - who most definitely IS a mystical samurai freak.

Having hit the 160+ mark I am faced with same problem many players face and that is why keep playing?

A suggestion I have is that our pets abilities are somehow linked to our level or stats on some sort of sliding scale. I know this runs contrary to the notion of nanos which are arranged to set lots of break points between the levls of our pets but given that our pets and our creation weapons are supposed to come from us in the first place perhaps its something worth exploring.

So teh model would be something like teh nano dictates teh type of pet and then its stats including AR etc are derived from your character stats, T&S skill etc.

I actually use the creation weapons and they help one thing principally and that is nano reduction - i.e. to let me cast more nanos - ok Funcom so I'm supposed to use my pets and cast nanos so lets see what I have:

Attack Pet - Cacodemon
    Heal Pet - Belamorte
    Mezz Pet - Tumulten

Mocham's guard
    Gold Acanthophis

Mind Quake
    Curse of Chronos
    Nano shutdown

This is on the face of is quite a nice line up and teh reason I wanted to be an MP. The big problem is that the pets and nanos just don't change from level 130-140+ thats it - full stop - no variety - finito. (I'm ignoring for a moment all the known bugs with pets).

A major issue with NS and CoC is the recharge time on the nanos - what am I supposed to do while my nano bots are recharging - use harsh language on my opponent?

A major issue with MQ is the way it draws agro to me and I'm a nanomage which means I have no hit points

I would like something about my skills/level that effects the capabilities of my toolkit please in the same way other professions look forward to the effects of better attack rating and more likely crits. Make my demon grow in size as it becomes more powerful ! link its attack speed and attack rating to my skills/level somehow - make we want to play to a higher level Funcom !

I think its great that people can play their MPs in different ways but I do not like the fact that when I try and play the MP along the lines that Funcoms description and my green skills suggest that it makes it very difficult - I do not want to end up as an X-3 wielding Stamina/Strength armor wearing quasi MP!

Originally posted by Jamespond

I think I dont understand this one... are u saying MPs is good in pvp after lvl 165?
    We can be, if self buffed. I think things scale differently when outside buffed or something. Maybe other classes get more benefit out of outside buffs, I honestly never quite figured out what the deal was with that. But in 2h0, Lagalot, etc, we probably don't dish out the damage fast enough to make a difference...or something. When my MP went to camelot, my sole purpose was a buff b*tch.

The dynamics of pvp 1 on 1 versus 10 on 10 is substantially different. For group pvp, an MP would be better served simply debuffing everyone in sight and allowing their 'combat profession' teammates do the actual killing. Wow, that would be pretty lethal actually. Debuff an entire team with something or other. That kind of 'support' I can handle, as it would often be our debuffs that turned the tide.

But 1 on 1 with a physically weak class such as mp is tricky and takes perfect timing and some sound strategy. To be honest, my strategy would work even better if I were an NT, because I'd have the advantage of layers, nullity, blinds, better stun, root, etc etc, but it works for an mp too.

Nuke/debuff, dominate, stun, heal, shoot, nuke, stun and run around like a chicken with its head cut off. To be honest, this strategy must be VERY annoying and I can see why folks hate to fight me a second time.

Another trick I use is distractions. The running and jumping is part of that, it really pisses people off when their opponent can't 'fight like a man'. I have 17 funny, aggrivating and brightly colored pet scripts that I unleash during battle and, try as you might, you cannot help but read them.

Finally, get first aid as high as you possibly can
    That 6-800 heal from higher ql stims every 40 seconds ARE a life saver.

These days though, I'm about positive I'd get owned pretty quickly in a 1 on 1 pvp match with just about anybody, as nano resist works quite well these days and an MP's nano attack rating is like 100 - 200 lower than an NT (mp nukes all take two skills, whereas NT nukes usually only take mc). This is what I don't get about NTs. Are they just lousy players? They must be, as they have pretty much all the same tricks as an MP, with about three dozen new ones added. I'd gladly trade my heal pet and attack pet for shorter stun recharges (why don't NTs use stuns?), blinds that lower attack ratings, fast roots, chemical nukes, etc. Oh well.

You've made me nostalgic though.....My wife re-activated my account (i've re-cancelled it, but it's still open for a few more weeks) and while I have no desire to play BS missions online, I might pop deacon into the ol' arena of love and get my arse beat from here to newland

My true love, Zylina, will be my first opponent. Winner gets to suck the toes of the loser. mmmm teh zyzy is so HOTT omg.
    Nanomage: The OTHER other white meat

Bump for this, oh yeah and fix pet pathing!
    Bettiepaige level 202 MP
    Sexxynurse level 59 Engineer
    www.badgerbadgerbadger.com
    My armor setup