Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Demerit for killing guards of your own alignment

Originally posted by Losobal
    I also think it'd be fun that anyone whacking a guard on their own side would for that period be open to any and all attacks by other players in the area. And they get a token for whacking the guy whacking on the guards

Granted alot of us lowbies won't even try to fight someone who can whack on the guards, but there might be that nice team of 200s who take offense at the 'I can do it, so I will' guy who's attacking their own guards.
    This is a fabulously wonderful idea. I don't really care if they want to kill the guards, all I'm saying is that there needs to be some consequence to it. Loss of token board status, open to attack by own side, etc. I'm way below their level, but if an especially good burst or well-timed nano would result in their demise it would give me great pleasure. Wouldn't even matter if I died in the process.

There's just something about people who say "uber" and "ownz" and mean it. It's no coincidence that they're the ones killing their own guards.

Originally posted by Mharc
    I say, neutrals kill enough guards on one side, they automatically get their alignment changed to the opposite faction.
    yea...that's a great idea for handling neutrals that kill guards. I mean, if ya think about it, if you are neutral and you are killing anything then you really aren't neutral anymore...right?

Think about like the Word War I and II...countries that were neutral during these wars weren't running around killing people..hence they were neutral (not-involved in the war).
    Feetus

well im not sure if anyone else does htis..but i kill guards (or shopkeepers if no one is around) for the purpose of testing weapons out. since multirange on pistols are an issue..i try to see how much damage increase there is. normally i use it to test to see the results of equiping scopes on pistols(since they are not crit dependent). i use guards/shopkeepers as target practice because it has no effect in the game and that they have a really fast respawn time...boredness also has something to do with it =/

Well, thats fine

But please do it on the other sides guards/shopkeepers :P
    Dhur the Ninja Pirate NT!

Originally posted by geal
    well im not sure if anyone else does htis..but i kill guards (or shopkeepers if no one is around) for the purpose of testing weapons out. since multirange on pistols are an issue..i try to see how much damage increase there is. normally i use it to test to see the results of equiping scopes on pistols(since they are not crit dependent). i use guards/shopkeepers as target practice because it has no effect in the game and that they have a really fast respawn time...boredness also has something to do with it =/
    There are Arenas you know
    Seid. Clan Nano Technician, Atlantean
    Proud member of Opposing Force ( Website )
    Seid's Hideout : Home of the Friends List Tool
    I would like to see a mail system in AO, for letters, money and goods, and with mail order !

Originally posted by Seid
    There are Arenas you know
    That would only help you test your weapon for PvP...not PvM.
    Feetus

Give us target dummys.

Various qls, maybe even sliders to adjust NR, evades, AC, reflect, etc.

Pretty simple to make them unkillable like some event chars (they go limbo at 0%) or with insane life regen etc.

Some kind of damage meter/timer would be nice.

Oh well, doubt we'll ever see them, but better than all the RP-ers "griefing" US for goofing off. (never heard such a stupid thing in my life)
    mercatura -ae f. [trade, traffic; merchandise]

Moved off-world and found real tradeskills...along with many other things

I agree that there should be some kind of faction penalty for killing one's own faction guards and shopkeepers. I have absolutely no problem with them doing it, I just feel it doesn't make sense that Omni-Tek or the Clan would tolerate such actions day after day even despite that death is meaningless.

I totally agree with having the ability to do so, I just don't agree that there's no penalty for doing so.

And being able to blow stuff up in your apartment (like dummies and such) would be keen. Would be a good money sink. More credits spent equals tougher dummies that would be a somewhat vague yet good way to tell lethality of weapons.

This would be a great idea, makes the game more dynamic. This is a great Gank from everquest, but hey if it makes our time more enjoyable... and it makes you fell good... do it
    How long will a floating point operation float?

Sort of gets me thinking about Morrowind. Ever steal anything from guards or have a "bounty" on you?

Kill who you want but there should be a warrant or bounty for the player so that they are not safe to roam around freely. Hell the guard killers might get a kick out of being wanted.

now. with NW coming, you can be flagged for PvP by attack a controlled land. How about flagging you for PvP when you attack guards?
    I mean.... if I see omni guards die, I want to help.
    That would give me a reason to PvP! Protect the cities!

Attacking people that attacks guards will of course allow them to attack you back again. Now, THAT would be great. PvP would finally mean something.
    /s aaaaaah! the clanners are attacking the south gate of trade! Need backup!

...but off course, this may cause sones to crash, due to overload
    but in theory... I would love that very very much!

-edit-
    for those that don't want to be open for attacks, stay in 75%+ and don't attack flagged people.

Question, though: Should healing fighters flag you for PvP?
    You ARE contributing to the fight....
    Last edited by Skybert; Nov 1st, 2002 at 09:27:40.

Originally posted by Skybert
    now. with NW coming, you can be flagged for PvP by attack a controlled land. How about flagging you for PvP when you attack guards?
    The 4h PvP flag thing when a nonguild/nontower player attacks a tower? hehe good idea!

I like it
    Dhur the Ninja Pirate NT!

Originally posted by Dhurdahl

The 4h PvP flag thing when a nonguild/nontower player attacks a tower? hehe good idea!

I like it
    Yup. That one. Not neccesarily 4 hours, though........

maybe 2? 3? or just 1?

I don't think the PvP flag is going to work, because often the guard- and merchant-slayers are mega-level or have group support. It is also an recipe to turn the cities into PvP zones.

I think a more workable solution is to simply make guard- and merchant-slayers, who attack their own side, outlaws. They thus lose all the benefits from their side, including guild membership. They could, of course, then form their own outlaw guilds, and effectively become rogue groups. But they would have to resort to raiding for supplies, or perhaps enlist the aid of others to buy supplies for them. Notum towers might even make such rogue groups quite workable.

I don't know if this has been said, but if you are ot/clan and you team with a neutral, you have a goo chance to pull and eventually be killing mobs from your side.

so if they were to introduce a loss of merit for killing those of your own side, I kind of doubt that they would be able to make it guard-exclusive. so the idea is basically impossible for them to implement, unless FC would like to guarantee that neutrals can only team with neutrals.

imo.

and that reminds me of a suggestion
    ~ Nikki "Kitene" Darling ~
    4925867th lvl 200 MA. cookie plz!
    ~ Lady "Aerfalle"Aerlinthe ~
    4925867th 200 NT. Gimme cookie
    '.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.>Storm<.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'

Just because of this thread i will now kill triple the amount of Omni/clan and neutral guards that i usually did.

See if you had just gone and killed guards yourselves less guards would die. But now thanks to you ill be killing my share, your share and another just for extra fun!
    Boltgrinder 200 (No Longer Rising!) enforcer. General of Mercenaries of Kai. Dream Setup Current Setup
    CamelLights 62 Nano Technician, To much MC for my own good.

Razi Quote until i change it!

Razi-Away: If you have a doctrine of loving cuddly bears, it means you will go out and love cuddly bears. If you have a philosophy of loving cuddly bears, it means you just love them. It works the same, only replacing "love" with "hate", "cuddly" with a cuss word, and "bears" with a minority of your choice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12