Thread: FC IRC Server Status

FC IRC Server Status

Hi,

so like... server is currently gone. i'm looking into options for us. This happened very suddenly, so those of us that have been on it weren't up to speed.

IN THE MEAN TIME, I have created an "unofficial" discord everyone is welcome to join that was on IRC or not. If we get a decent amount of people here, I can figure out any additional chats other than the initial general one.

the most likely outcome is, the official irc is gone for good, as it was running on a really old system that is just isn't worth while to maintain.

DISCORD LINK: https://discord.gg/n4ZR5mz

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Nooooooooooooooo! You just registered my orgs channel like 3 days ago!

Ahh well, any chance of regrouping the AO channels on something like quakenet?
    Krause Equip

*** Krause's Evil WTB Thread! (Weird/Odd Stuff) ***
    (Items like "Lost Faith/Hope", "Wreath of Insects", "Chirop Exoskeleton Wing Mesh", "Small Jar", "Old Barrel")
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This is going to get done if it kills me or preferably someone else.

so fc can't afford to maintain a bloody irc server and they expect us to have confidence in their games lasting past christmas?

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    so fc can't afford to maintain a bloody irc server and they expect us to have confidence in their games lasting past christmas?
    to be fair, the irc server was never official, it was created by two employees back in like.. 00-01 (one was an AO dev, the other in operations) and started life as a footrest under someone's desk. it eventually got moved to some dns server, but that box has been running for nearly 10 years and is horribly out of date. and honestly, with how few people were active on irc, I think the server ops people have more important things to monitor than some little irc server.

- Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    the most likely outcome is, the official irc is gone for good, as it was running on a really old system that is just isn't worth while to maintain.
    :'(
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Perhaps someone should make a Kickstarter, or a GoFundMe to cover the huge bandwidth costs for the IRC channel...Or maybe there's nobody left that knows the passwords....Or maybe they just don't give a damn

Who knows....There's certainly not many left that care
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Blame facebook. Php is like cancer its spreads like crazy. Wordpress, Joomla, Facebook, Bebot etc.
    Last edited by ByLogic; Aug 24th, 2017 at 13:38:41.

Was there anything inherently special about the irc.funcom.com server that couldn't simply be reproduced by registering #anarchyonline, #gridstream, etc channels on irc.quakenet.net and connecting to those instead? I mean aside from the nostalgia of the old Funcom server, everything else would be exactly the same right?
    Krause Equip

*** Krause's Evil WTB Thread! (Weird/Odd Stuff) ***
    (Items like "Lost Faith/Hope", "Wreath of Insects", "Chirop Exoskeleton Wing Mesh", "Small Jar", "Old Barrel")
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This is going to get done if it kills me or preferably someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Krause View Post
    Was there anything inherently special about the irc.funcom.com server that couldn't simply be reproduced by registering #anarchyonline, #gridstream, etc channels on irc.quakenet.net and connecting to those instead? I mean aside from the nostalgia of the old Funcom server, everything else would be exactly the same right?
    other than it being uniquely our own to have a little server just for us, outside of any other gaming communities. I personally have no interest in quaknet. those that need an irc system, could go to that network and it should fill their needs. I just opted for something that appears more popular, and has been pretty stable. the official SWL discord has been very popular and doing extremely well, so figured it was worth trying here.

and sure, I've been on irc in one form or another since around '96 and its got special meanings to me... but this stage of my existence.. its not very convenient.

- Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

the ao subreddit also has a discord althogh i haven't been on i nmonths so idk how active it is

I went and reset my forum password account just to find this thread... RIP FC IRC. One of the last things I was in that hadn't migrated to Telegram :P

Quote Originally Posted by Voriuste View Post
    I went and reset my forum password account just to find this thread... RIP FC IRC. One of the last things I was in that hadn't migrated to Telegram :P
    i was on it since 2002

- Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Quote Originally Posted by Krause View Post
    Actually, yes. We used it for functions related to the ARK / Professionals interactions.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    Actually, yes. We used it for functions related to the ARK / Professionals interactions.
    so no :P

But we're also some people over in another discord this may get confusing for us old people

Also IRC is the best... discord is just not as good for this type of thing :'(
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics