Thread: Call old friends, get them back, lets have fun

Call old friends, get them back, lets have fun

Ok, new campaign!

Everyone call old AO-friends you have on facebook, Myspace, Twitter or whatever kind of annoying thing you use, and tell them to come back to AO for a while.

I've invited one today, and if he doesn't come I might name and shame him.
    When I make mistakes, I use a lot of salt,
    cause salt makes m'steaks taste great!

Beornin - The original Shotgun Adv
    Obsessive - First 220 Trox Engi
    Euthanizer - Reanimated NT

No one will come for 18 euros. Unless free week.
    Anarchy Online Concept Art Gallery
    Lazy "Timba" Sabretooth - 220/30/80 - Fire kitty
    Very "Timbats" Much - 220/22/xx - Tradeskiller for hire!
    Timbamf - xx/xx/xx - upcoming tanky
    Spray "Airwick" Alloveryou - 60/6/14

To some old AO'ers the cost is no issue, but of course to others it is.

So, Funcom please give all active accounts 3 "Invite an old friend back to AO for a month"-tokens/codes that we can send to our missing friends!

sadly in current state of AO i cant suggest it to anyone

I have account paid and no content to play. After 7 years, all professions 220, there are just more important things than AO... Like a sexy Milf, and pair of kids.

I still pay, hope to see some new content, like new weapons, awesome crit builds and fun mechanics... Maybe new Profession or going Lvl 225.

But if things stay like this... Pointless, I'll just tell kids old war stories and obsess about a hot woman. Until AO is better than sex, I will not recomend it to my friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    This'll be fixed for the next patch

too busy, many Netflix!
    T O O N Z:
    Renamed (jeycihn) 220/30(so sexy, so Borealis...I miss it the most...still melee <3 thnx for all your help Scum!
    Giit 200/30 NM NT(THE most dangerous, and bitchy thing I ever created)
    Sixunder 158/21 NM Tra (158+SMG=Atomic bomb? Feather pillow? meh, depends on what mood she's in oO)
    Eightup 158/21 Opi Fix (perfect, maxed twink, definitive "FUN")
    Xerrrox 17X Opi Fix (GA4 fr00b...buff prostitute...reason to log in)
    Enjey 60/6 NM Eng (high maintenance OP'ness)
    Nanimated New NM Agent (no patience for it...sigh)
    Somethiing 200 Atrox Sold (potential x1k...not nearly enough "give a f*ck")
    P A R A D I S E ~&~ P A R A S I T E ~&~ B R O K E N ~&~ CCI ~&~ NOTHING PERSONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Timba View Post
    No one will come for 18 euros. Unless free week.
    No one will come because most people now have jobs, kids and football practice. Paying 15€ a month has never been less of a problem for old players of AO.

Btw, where do you guys get the 18€ thing from? It says 15€ on my account page. Mind you, take 3 months and it's 12€.
    Avari 220/30/80 - Araghos 220/30/80 - Shishido 220/30/7x - Araninn 220/30/80

Quote Originally Posted by Tergx
    If one of the few traders are PvPing around you and land GTH on you, take a trip to decon and it will be gone. What's the big deal hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Avari View Post
    Btw, where do you guys get the 18€ thing from? It says 15€ on my account page. Mind you, take 3 months and it's 12€.
    I've been paying €17.19, incl VAT, for monthly since 2004 according to my payments history, and should i change to a monthly plan again it says...
    €17.19.
    /G13
    pirates. with lasers.
    Are you having an argument on the internet, again?

Gene13 - on a space odyssey since 2001
    XXX - N

Some day your ship will come in, but you will be at the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene13 View Post
    I've been paying €17.19, incl VAT, for monthly since 2004 according to my payments history, and should i change to a monthly plan again it says...
    €17.19.
    /G13
    Country?

Norway here - maybe I'm excempt from VAT? Not sure, since Norway is still a part of the inner market through EEA.

If one of the few traders are PvPing around you and land GTH on you, take a trip to decon and it will be gone. What's the big deal hehe.

Yeah. Looks like it's the 15% EU VAT that does it.
    /G13
    pirates. with lasers.
    Are you having an argument on the internet, again?

Gene13 - on a space odyssey since 2001
    XXX - N

Some day your ship will come in, but you will be at the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by Beornin View Post
    Ok, new campaign!

Everyone call old AO-friends you have on facebook, Myspace, Twitter or whatever kind of annoying thing you use, and tell them to come back to AO for a while.

I've invited one today, and if he doesn't come I might name and shame him.
    Yea really, wonderful idea.
    At best, with the current AO monthly subscribtion, they will sue you because tryed to scam them.
    Eilistrae 220/30/70 MA equip pic //Araushne 216/30 NT equip pic // Nhaundar 220/30 pic equip // Ahlysaaria 220/30 equip
    Dritst 220/30 Agent equip pic // Vhaeraun 218/30 fixer // Dylinrae 217/30 trader // Seldszar 220/29 adv
    Nhaundar 216/16 Trox enf <3 equip

* http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=544974 <3 ty, how some ppl can be
    * S*rovi1: cant log in game funcom not responding Mrdex: they're translating Mrdex: give em some time.
    * Phante: whining is directly proportional with incompetence imo the more you sux the more youll cry and ask for stupid stuff.
    * [Provision]: 500m if you can even dent me You gained 103 PVP Solo Score.

I am drunk and even I dont want to play.

I came back ... wanted to finish up a couple of toons. But ... I haven't even told the couple of old friends I still keep in contact with who used to play (some old AO friends are here already). I know what they'd think of the improvements.

Ie,

New engine ... looks a bit better, crashes too often
    New content ... run around a lot or collect a lot of bits, never need a doctor except the biggest events
    Economy ... :cough:
    Mass PvP/landcontrol ... meh

I've been gone 6 years with the exception of a couple of free weeks. A few new things, a couple of things I can equip now that I couldn't before on 2 toons. A very few new raids that are hard to find groups for except once a week or so as most people are multibox farming alone. And an economy left in such tatters from the rampant exploiting awhile back combined with GRACE sales that people who left the game thinking "I've got over 1B banked, I'm set for anything when I get back" come back to find that inflation makes their saved banks seem average.

I'm not trying to say "AO sucks". I'm saying it isn't in a state to bring back a horde of vets and is probably too stagnant to draw significant new blood from Steam.

I'm back to be a completist and enjoy some laid back time while I try to rehabilitate my back (again). Full circle for me as spine issues brought me to the game again in 2004 after ditching from the messy launch. If I still had the coordination to hardcore raid or do a ton of questing I'd be ... in the game that the other 2 people I wish would play AO again are playing.

(or painting 40K miniatures, which will probably be where I head once I finish here again)

The Steam launch and "bring old vets back" ideas -needed- more game improvements and significant content aside from (what, Gauntlet, DB3?) in the last 7-8 years. And unless there is a viable mass raid/pvp setup, which to my mind is what held people here for so long, those returning would mostly go away as soon as the new content was exhausted.

I <3 you Anarchy Online. But I can't advocate subscribing/re-subscribing except for edge cases and people who are really into this game in particular.
    Theonara: "...but if I weren't married, some days I'd offer to kiss you. You just make too much sense. "
    Maeventura: "Sigh, once again I can but only bow for hyde's wisdom."

...."Social" keys, lightbars, wen-wens......Better tabbing!

... First Troxdoc with QL300 symbs (AO 17.0 pre-Albtraum guide) ... as well as first with 12 of 13 Alpha symbs.
    ... First TL1 Clanner with Omni-Armed Forces armor (pics) (pointless yet hawt)

<original UI hacker ... when not actively playing AO ... email = 'hyde [at] athenpaladins • org'>

Quote Originally Posted by doctorhyde View Post
    i came back ... Wanted to finish up a couple of toons. But ... I haven't even told the couple of old friends i still keep in contact with who used to play (some old ao friends are here already). I know what they'd think of the improvements.

Ie,

new engine ... Looks a bit better, crashes too often
    new content ... Run around a lot or collect a lot of bits, never need a doctor except the biggest events
    economy ... :cough:
    Mass pvp/landcontrol ... Meh

i've been gone 6 years with the exception of a couple of free weeks. A few new things, a couple of things i can equip now that i couldn't before on 2 toons. A very few new raids that are hard to find groups for except once a week or so as most people are multibox farming alone. And an economy left in such tatters from the rampant exploiting awhile back combined with grace sales that people who left the game thinking "i've got over 1b banked, i'm set for anything when i get back" come back to find that inflation makes their saved banks seem average.

I'm not trying to say "ao sucks". I'm saying it isn't in a state to bring back a horde of vets and is probably too stagnant to draw significant new blood from steam.

I'm back to be a completist and enjoy some laid back time while i try to rehabilitate my back (again). Full circle for me as spine issues brought me to the game again in 2004 after ditching from the messy launch. If i still had the coordination to hardcore raid or do a ton of questing i'd be ... In the game that the other 2 people i wish would play ao again are playing.

(or painting 40k miniatures, which will probably be where i head once i finish here again)

the steam launch and "bring old vets back" ideas -needed- more game improvements and significant content aside from (what, gauntlet, db3?) in the last 7-8 years. And unless there is a viable mass raid/pvp setup, which to my mind is what held people here for so long, those returning would mostly go away as soon as the new content was exhausted.

I <3 you anarchy online. But i can't advocate subscribing/re-subscribing except for edge cases and people who are really into this game in particular.
    qft

Quote Originally Posted by Doctorhyde View Post
    I'm not trying to say "AO sucks". I'm saying it isn't in a state to bring back a horde of vets and is probably too stagnant to draw significant new blood from Steam.
    Nobody really expects that I think.

Also, be careful in extrapolating conclusions based on personal observation over a short period of time. I've been back for 7-8 months after a break as long as yours and seem to have had a far better experience of it. Being a doctor main since 2004 I also don't see what has changed in the past 6 years. It's way more than 6 years ago that doctors were mandatory outside raids and that's fine with me tbh.

My wife and I returned this last weekend to complete our characters advance to level 220. We hope the game somehow manages to hang on!
    Main: - Vonshot: 217/26 Omni Trox Trader

Alts:
    - Nycrow: 191/11 Trox Fixer
    - Tanknip: 217/14 Trox Doctor, The Cookie Monster
    - Nightswan: 164/5 Solitus Crat
    - Ghostblade: 184/19 Trox Shade
    - Megachug: 57/5 Trox Enforcer
    - Kyllx: 51/5 Opifex Agent

Last 2-3 times I tried "coming back", always ended up leaving again due to low number of players (not to mention that almost all my friends were offline).
    On a side note, I would even pay MORE than the current monthly fee, if the player-base would be like 5-6 years ago, as this is the best game I ever played... Thanks to its complexity back in the day and thanks to the community that was very tight at the time. Now... that faded...
    Also, most of us "old" players grew up, have families, myself included, a house to take care of, kid and/or kid on the way, and slowly priorities change. Normally I would find time for AO, but sadly, it feels like a single player game, that goes against what AO once was. I do not wish to damage my impression even more, as this game was a huge part of my life, and I would like to keep the memories as they were in the good old times...

If you remember the name, I salute you
    Been here, done this...
    Time to move on...

Quote Originally Posted by Khrystanna View Post
    I remember your name, though probably from forums because we were on different servers. We were probably forumwarring at the same time in 2005.

Not sure what it is, but to me the gameworld seems almost as active now as it was when I dropped by in 2009. Frequently meet players who came back during the last month. No problem getting inf sk teams and yesterday did Arbiter daily Dust it off, which is kill 1 Dust Brigade General, then DB1, then DB2, then Vortexx, on 4 characters in pugs from lft. Saw teams running all day. This is of course availably only every 6th week, but still. Maybe that is what makes People actively group for it when it becomes available. New clan tara/Tower bot started up a few days ago had 80 people in the channel the other day. Afaik my prime days of NW in 2005 usually had raids of 100-150, and that was with established Tnet and clans on a victory roll.

Many old clans are rather deserted, and friendslists are red. Newer clans or the ones actively run have healthy populations though. Friendlists are partly red because the old chars are not played much, and the old friends you had may be there but on different characters. You just don't know their name, and they don't know yours.

Anyway, most old players need new projects to find the game appealing. Old, fully or close to fully equipped characters quickly get boring to play, as it doesn't take that much time to fill in with the lastest shinies. A fresh character or two though, either a new 220 or a lower twink, really gets that AO feeling going again.

(Oh, and I have 3 small kids. I find that it's quite acceptable to have to go because of family commitments.)
    Last edited by Beornin; Jan 30th, 2017 at 14:14:51.

In EU primetime, the game is alive and well, I always have something to do
    granted, you wont find a lot of old friends and some of your fav orgs are no more, but still occasionally you can run into old pals in the orgs that remained

also would like to point out, that alongside the community, quirky mechanics and complexity, the game world itself is quite charming. Hey, who could forget leets?
    * Cryborg Nano-Technician - Have a shoulder to cry on!
    Aramlash Fixer - Can't catch me!
    Aramsunat Engineer - 4 Blockers of the Apocalypse

Devil Inside

Quote Originally Posted by Khrystanna View Post
    Last 2-3 times I tried "coming back", always ended up leaving again due to low number of players (not to mention that almost all my friends were offline).
    On a side note, I would even pay MORE than the current monthly fee, if the player-base would be like 5-6 years ago, as this is the best game I ever played... Thanks to its complexity back in the day and thanks to the community that was very tight at the time. Now... that faded...
    Also, most of us "old" players grew up, have families, myself included, a house to take care of, kid and/or kid on the way, and slowly priorities change. Normally I would find time for AO, but sadly, it feels like a single player game, that goes against what AO once was. I do not wish to damage my impression even more, as this game was a huge part of my life, and I would like to keep the memories as they were in the good old times...

Just a little bit of waiting and when you log in you can say to a teammate "i was raiding towers with your father back in times".. something like that
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomb4 View Post
    fsojddq oiermoinue jiebu
    (just randomly hiting the keyboard like Zixx) <3