Page 1 of 12 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update - June 2016 (Happy 15th Anniversary!)

Funcom employee Monthly Development Update - June 2016 (Happy 15th Anniversary!)

Hey everyone, and happy anniversary! 15 years is no insignificant amount of time; almost an eternity within the games industry. At the heart of AO is, and always has been, our community, which continues to be the lifeblood that keeps the game alive. Thank you to everyone who has been a part of the journey, from those who have been with us since 2001, to those who have only recently started their story on Rubi-Ka. The story of Anarchy Online is far from over, however, and I look forward to seeing the game go for another 15 years.

Anniversary Celebrations
    The 15th Anniversary celebrations are still ongoing, and will end on July 11th. Details on the event can be found here. Any account that is in good standing is able to log in freely during this time.

The Desert Nomads have returned and have taken residence in their familiar haunts. Defeating these unwelcome guests will offer pieces of their signature armor, anniversary reward items, as well as items sought after by the devious Tinker. Providing with The Tinker with enough of the seemingly-innocent materials will allow her to be able to construct an elaborate trap for the mastermind behind the Nomads: The Desert Rider.

Returning this year is also the Desert Rider. Normally lurking in the shadows, coordinating the army of Nomads from afar, his avarice is often his own undoing. Using a trap set by The Tinker, it is possible to lure out and defeat the Desert Rider, who offers his own set of treasures from his personal coffers.

New this year, some elite Desert Nomads can be found within the SBC-Xpm Sites. They have a few extra tricks, but offer some new rewards. That said, proceed with caution!

Lastly, you can still take advantage of the membership offer until the end of the anniversary event. In addition to the bonus membership time, also gain access to the new Silencer's Armor set. Simply logging in also allows for the free claiming of a Ganimedes Personal Jetpack and some other gifts.

AO on Steam?!
    This was something we worked to have working for the 15th Anniversary event, but ran into some obstacles. In the coming weeks, ideally before the next update letter, we will finally be able to put this to rest, determining if we will be able to get AO on Steam. We have been coordinating with Valve to get AO working on Steam. Given our 15+ year old engine, we have been forced to explore some unconventional options to get AO able to run through the Steam client. As soon as a particular update to the Steam client has been deployed, we will better know what our options are, and if will be getting Anarchy Online to finally be on Steam.

Future Rebalance Changes
    The 18.8.15 patch included a few balance changes, some of which will be adjusted, and some which were originally designed to come with other changes, but time ran out. Future updates will mostly contain a number of such changes, working towards improving the overall balance of the game.

Thank You
    Once again, thank you to everyone who has been a part of this 15 year adventure, and I hope you will join us for the next 15 years. The Funcom development team will be mostly on vacation for the rest of July, so there will be no development letter for July. Have a great month, everyone!
    Last edited by Michizure; Jul 5th, 2016 at 20:26:11.
    Henry "Michizure" Senger
    Lead Designer

Fix up the new engine and make it easier for new players to get a foothold in the game, otherwise Steam will be somewhat of a wasted effort, I'd say.

If the new engine worked more reliably, and the game was a bit more newbie friendly, Steam could be a good opportunity to get new players.
    Vinkera - Soli NT - 426k DPM - Setup
    Robbey - Soli Crat

Lone anarchists - Tower of Babil

Celez - Soli Doc
    Loaloa - Soli Enf
    Wondershot - Nano Soldier
    Robzor - Soli Engi
    Proserpexa - Opi Agent

Trying out civilization - Storm

Input multiplexing?
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Ok, so if i log into the game with an account that's not payed and use a GRACE it's will just go poof and NOT give me 30 days of playtime?
    It would be good to know before using it
    Don't you just hate this kind of ppl
    http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/w...rouscranus.htm

Happy anniversary! When will a community Q & A be hosted ?
    Last edited by Timba; Jul 5th, 2016 at 21:31:35.
    Anarchy Online Concept Art Gallery
    Lazy "Timba" Sabretooth - 220/30/80 - Fire kitty
    Very "Timbats" Much - 220/22/xx - Tradeskiller for hire!
    Timbamf - xx/xx/xx - upcoming tanky
    Spray "Airwick" Alloveryou - 60/6/14

Keep up the great work Michi & don't forget that the Crats need some love!
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Err - just one thing - I thought one of the main ideas of the new client was to allow AO to work with steam, so maybe you need to get that working instead... After all a lot of new players will like AO a lot better with a new shiny engine instead of a 15 year old client. if you went out to buy a car and you had the choice between a 3 year old one and a 15 year old one - i know which one I would have. I understand that you have limited resources but the new engine seem to be ok most of the time and then are only a couple of mobs the still have graphical gliches.

Datch

Summertime ...
    Operator : "Are we safe from russian hackers ?"
    Support : "Da"

So when are the gauntlet fixes coming ?

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Wow, everyone must be enjoying summer sunshine for only 8 responses so far.

What Datch said. I used the new client briefly with my new video card but the fps drop & stuttering in some places was too annoying so went back to old client.

bump for full steam ahead!
    "Don't think...feel, it's like a finger pointing towards the moon"

Sigh. Do the final push on ironing out the New engine, make New Engine the requirement for Steam. I don't honestly think that at this point people were expecting the old engine to work with it.

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

Michizure, you probably can't tell us, but I'll ask anyway

What can we - the Anarchy Online community - expect, realistically, from the multi-million dollar investment made in May of this year? Does this affect Anarchy Online positively in any way, or is it, more or less, business as usual, i.e. the already set budget and road map will continue unchanged?

A not so wild guess is that Conan Exiles will grab the majority of the pie, and the development of the next The Secret World spin-off, The Secret World, Age of Conan and Anarchy Online (in that order) will share the remaining pieces. Anarchy Online is such a great game, and it would be wonderful news if Anarchy Online too benefited from the major private investment made.

I don't mean to sound negative or anything. I am genuinely curious, and I really want to hope for a bright future!
    Izgimmy
    [220/30/80 Nano Technician]
    Dellingr
    [220/30/72 Engineer]
    Avalinn
    [220/30/80 Doctor]

Plus many more...
    Tiralinn
    [220/30/78 Bureaucrat]

Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    AO on Steam?!
    This was something we worked to have working for the 15th Anniversary event, but ran into some obstacles. In the coming weeks, ideally before the next update letter, we will finally be able to put this to rest, determining if we will be able to get AO on Steam. We have been coordinating with Valve to get AO working on Steam. Given our 15+ year old engine, we have been forced to explore some unconventional options to get AO able to run through the Steam client. As soon as a particular update to the Steam client has been deployed, we will better know what our options are, and if will be getting Anarchy Online to finally be on Steam.

Caption: Did he just say... Steam? I can't believe it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomium View Post
    I say this with all love and humor, but...

haters gonna hate.

Steam is not a waste. Game is good at what it is suppose to be good at.

Personally I love it. Now just need more peoplez like me to enjoy the game. Steam might have some?
    This'll be fixed for the next patch

Quote Originally Posted by Vinkera View Post
    Fix up the new engine and make it easier for new players to get a foothold in the game, otherwise Steam will be somewhat of a wasted effort, I'd say.

If the new engine worked more reliably, and the game was a bit more newbie friendly, Steam could be a good opportunity to get new players.
    I think a guild directory showing recruiters that are online ingame would go a long way to help new players from steam to get into the game.

I think I suggested this back in 2011 or if not wrong in 2004 under my non-forum-troll persona.

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...ecruiting-Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomium View Post
    I say this with all love and humor, but...

haters gonna hate.

The Funcom development team will be mostly on vacation for the rest of July, so there will be no development letter for July. Have a great month, everyone!
    Don't you mean a good 2 months then?

looking forward to ao being on steam!

AO on Steam?!
    The new engine launches from Steam already, if you just add it as a non-steam game.
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Gargle View Post
    I think a guild directory showing recruiters that are online ingame would go a long way to help new players from steam to get into the game.

I think I suggested this back in 2011 or if not wrong in 2004 under my non-forum-troll persona.

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...ecruiting-Tool
    An official alliance system at the least. We have too many small 4-20 man orgs. We need some way to bridge more of these small orgs together either than a third party chat bot.

Page 1 of 12 123456789101112 LastLast