Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update - April 2016 (Let's Talk)

The little population that AO has left is enough to make AO one of Funcom's profitable products...wait, what? The "little" population and steady stream of brand new players is actually making money? Who knew?

AO does need better retention of the newbies though.
    fc is good at manipulating statistics, so i wouldnt trust them when i comes to statistics. considering the minimalistic team ao have they probably make profits but fc as a whole doesnt makes profits, what they are making is more debts lol
    . . . everything in creation is impermanenT

AO makes a profit for two very important reasons.
    Firstly, it has a single salary to cover.(OK not technicaly accurate, theres billing team and IT tech's etc, but essentialy its just mich)
    Secondly, because it charges more per monthly subscription than any other mmo in existence. (mostly price gouging the European players, thanx for that by the way, makes us feel really good about your company and totally encourages us to trust your other products!)

Ofcourse new players turn up from time to time, but they don't stay, and it has nothing to do with newbie quests, or difficulty in farming money, its because for anyone who doesn't already have YEARS invested in the game, its just not worth the subscription being asked, it simply is not competitive with everything new and shiny, or actualy populated.

Add in to that the fact that the golden age of the MMO is long over, that the gaming community in general are no longer willing to support a monthly subscription fee based system, when they can play any number of newer, better games, for free, either f2p mmo's or co-op multiplayer games (I'm lookin at you gtav) and it shouldn't be hard to grasp the fact that "Nothing is going to save the game I've loved for over 15 years"

I'm sorry, but AO is in decline, its not going to be getting better and all the wishfull thinking and "faith" you can muster isn't going to change that.

I know im beating a dead horse here, I keep going over the same doom and gloom over and over, but I genuinely feel bad for all the people I see posting on these forums who still labour under the misapprehension that anything they suggest to remedy the population issues that AO suffers from, is actualy going to help.
    Its not, and you are just setting yourself up for disappointment.
    Quote Originally Posted by egadsrk2 View Post
    In the case of this little drama, Party A created a situation. Party B perpetuated it with name calling. Party A finished it with violence...
    I was "party A"

the biggest problem with fc is their investors, the investors are not interested in making the players happy or satisfied by producing good games, the fc investors are only after profits. the day fc founder Gaute Godager left fc back in 2008 i could sense that there was issue between fc investors and it founders, because if the founder have lost their faith in the company they have builded, why would we the end consumer trust in their future products will be success lol.
    in 2009 when i learned about fc is working on new engine i wasnt happy about it, back then i said: "The new GFX engine idea was dead borned. it is time consuming and it keeps the staff busy from coming up with good ideas on how to make AO a better game."
    i was young but i made a full thread trying to explained why, you can read thread here: http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...in-AO-universe
    however i dont wish to see ao die, and the only way to save fc and ao is to replace the investors, but i dont think that will happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Uaintseenme View Post
    I know im beating a dead horse here, I keep going over the same doom and gloom over and over, but I genuinely feel bad for all the people I see posting on these forums who still labour under the misapprehension that anything they suggest to remedy the population issues that AO suffers from, is actualy going to help.
    Its not, and you are just setting yourself up for disappointment.
    Everything you say is possible, but at least the game is still here for us to play while we like today.
    Leave "Marinegent" AScar - 220/23/65 Atrox Agent
    Wakeup "Marinesold" Screaming - 220/30/70 Nanomage Soldier
    "Moonmarin" - 220/30/80 Solitus Martial Artist
    "Marinekeep" - 215/18/4x Atrox Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by CuisinartBlade View Post
    to be fair, 2.8k ar is enough to perk anyone except fixers, mas, advs, shades, nt's that blinded you, shield mps, bow mps that landed dazzle, def docs, crats, or marinesold

so all in all it's a fairly viable setup

Quote Originally Posted by Marinegent View Post
    Everything you say is possible, but at least the game is still here for us to play while we like today.
    Exactly. This reminds me of the good old saying....

Johnny has 3 apples, Billy has 4... So why don't they just shut up and eat?
    Vinkera - Soli NT - 426k DPM - Setup
    Robbey - Soli Crat

Lone anarchists - Tower of Babil

Celez - Soli Doc
    Loaloa - Soli Enf
    Wondershot - Nano Soldier
    Robzor - Soli Engi
    Proserpexa - Opi Agent

Trying out civilization - Storm

My buddylist is getting smaller and smaller...The reason? I can easily make a list of 20 ppl who quite because of the Multiboxers in pvp and pvp issue in general. One big point of AO was Notumwars but noone enjoy (exclude the MBer) to instantly **** one by one with their Pay2Win MB. My brother was new at AO we helped him in Feb this year to get his first 220. After his first mass PvP (Getting rekt bei MBers) he was saying "WTF, i write Petition"....GM: Haha!, And he canceled his subscription.

The big point is that PvP is a longtime motivation, its make fun...but when this is destroyed by supporting MBer with allowing assist tools and the like dont wonder when 90% of PvPers quit and the populations is getting smaller.

second point is, when you allow to MB in Notumwars make sure that a full 300er site isnt killable for ONE lifeless in 2h when noone is online...

I sugggest you Michi, make yourself a toon and try to play a bit on realserver. You will very fast know, what we all are talking about.
    Carolus Hekthor Priamos - Advisor of S.I.N.C

I've did several comparsions of online statistics based on amounts I've saved and here it is (compared March and April 2015 and March and April 2016):
    1. Average european morning (6-10 am GMT) non holiday online dropped from 280-300 to 220-235, while amount of bots (level 1-5 characters) increased by 10-15.
    2. Average european evening (18-22 pm GMT) non holiday online dropped from 310-340 to 240-250 while amount of bots "check above".
    Holidays statistics is even worse.
    Numbers are (omnis+clans)/2.

Means population keeps decreasing, plus becomes more multiboxer-based.
    I think real single account population decreased by approximately 50% (if not more), which is huge impact to overall activity in both, PvM and PvP area.
    Plus, as pretty active PvPer, I can confirm that there are nearly no new names in PvP area (when it comes to NW), which means NW doesn't attracts new players at all (or almost at all).

Now let's face some history:

1. AO was pretty much well balanced and entertaining to play when:
    1.1. pre-LE
    1.2. nearly no instances
    2. Population was bigger when:
    2.1. AO was way more competitive to other MMORPGs in both, graphics and mechanics aspects (there were nearly no good alernatives back then, or existing alternatives weren't THAT advanced in graphics and mechanics aspects).
    2.2. There were less promises given which had "coming soon in 22th century" status

I'm also sure that developers have to play AO as much as regular players do, to practically realise and feel current problems with balance, gameplay, playerbase and so on. Plus, developers don't really need to farm anything, they can make themselves an endgame 220 character with top gear and maxed levels whenever they need. Besides, 1 endgame 220 developer character won't really harm any things up if played as if it was regular player. That will make their eyes open wide, I'm sure.

Plus, professional program was extremely good idea. Unfortunately, when I was fixer professional - I didn't saw appropriate amount of feedback and dialogue between players and Funcom representatives. Otherwise, it could be very effective channel to improve AO and bring way more balance.

P.S. If Funcom will decide to terminate AO as a project - I hope they'll contact me, because I might be interested in buying it as a whole.
    G.F.B.D.
    --------------------------------------------
    Artyomis has played 800 days 0 hours 0 minutes 0 seconds
    WTB subscription price lowered for eastern europe countries due to current USD/EUR-to-local-currency rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Allure View Post
    My buddylist is getting smaller and smaller...The reason? I can easily make a list of 20 ppl who quite because of the Multiboxers in pvp and pvp issue in general. One big point of AO was Notumwars but noone enjoy (exclude the MBer) to instantly **** one by one with their Pay2Win MB. My brother was new at AO we helped him in Feb this year to get his first 220. After his first mass PvP (Getting rekt bei MBers) he was saying "WTF, i write Petition"....GM: Haha!, And he canceled his subscription.

The big point is that PvP is a longtime motivation, its make fun...
    Sorry for your brother.
    But uhm first off AO is about pvm first, its a long way to 220 unless you p2w. Pvp was originally just storyline not game play.
    Second if you go to mass pvp solo without a team or without team speak you kinda deserve to die, a LOT.
    Third dont hate the playa. Haters are like snitches, nobody likes them.
    Fourth if pvp is your main motivation you should probably be playing call of duty, not a multiplayer RPG.
    Fifth and most important, any 3 coordinated players should be able to wreck a MB, if you dont have 2 at least friends you can team with then stay your butt out of the NW kitchen because you cant take the heat of AO game play.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Psikie View Post
    Sorry for your brother.
    But uhm first off AO is about pvm first, its a long way to 220 unless you p2w. Pvp was originally just storyline not game play.
    Second if you go to mass pvp solo without a team or without team speak you kinda deserve to die, a LOT.
    Fourth if pvp is your main motivation you should probably be playing call of duty, not a multiplayer RPG.
    Fifth and most important, any 3 coordinated players should be able to wreck a MB, if you dont have 2 at least friends you can team with then stay your butt out of the NW kitchen because you cant take the heat of AO game play.
    wow you're harsh today.

If I was dude's cousin and read this I'd just be like :rollseyes:

Sorry for your brother.
    We from SINC was all at Team speak and had a group of 8 single players in the last big nw pvp in Feb 2016. He don't was alone. He simply saw that we can't assist to kill someone and saw MBer who can assist with their Box. Isn't very hard to find out who wins.

Sorry for your brother.
    Interesting way to try and justify what is basically cheating; but hasn't be policed due to company investment choices.
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

Sorry for your brother.
    For me it was about both and while many avoided PVP - sometimes for good reasons and sometimes not - I wouldn't want to do just the farming of levels and acquiring of items.
    A HUGE part of AO for me was the twinking and trying new setups. While this can definitely be done for PVM purposes as well it is not at all needed. One can do pretty much anything PVM with a mediocre setup and much with a complete gimp setup.

The same cannot be said for pvp (unless ofc you MB). NW, BS and other venues of pvp have driven the evolution of tens of vast ammounts of twinks at every "good" level. And then even more twinks to counter those new setups. I know I was in the middle of the NW and twink community from the start so I am probably a bit "culturecentric". But most of the ppl I knew - even the ones that called themselves PVM - turned up for Tara or big NW.

Altogether I think it's safe to say that PVP in various forms contributed to AO and used to be an important part for much of the population. AO without the PVP-scene is a lot less.

Except for MB'ers, they don't need teams nor teamspeak.

Being liked is not a requirement and perhaps that's historically worked in your favour. And personally I can think of lots of ppl who's liking I don't want.

It really isn't up to you to decide who plays AO for what reason. The pvpers who (used to) play AO did it for many reasons. For me (and many others I know) it was the possibility to build unique setups. So yes, AO did have something good for pvpers that COD doesn't have, even if you can't see it.

This statement reveals that you don't compehend the problem. How does 2 friends help you counter instant death n meep n rince + repeat? I'm guessing you just don't.
    And how does MB not nulify the whole point of twinking when someone can simply win by opening their wallet to BUY alpha power you can never ever get from a single toon?
    The truth is MB simply kills pvp. Both team and solo. It also kills the purpse of twinking.

Now.. AOs fate is ofc already sealed. Not gonna change but that doesn't make any of what you just claimed or said right.

Quote Originally Posted by Phatkeep View Post
    The truth is MB simply kills pvp. Both team and solo. It also kills the purpse of twinking.

Now.. AOs fate is ofc already sealed. Not gonna change but that doesn't make any of what you just claimed or said right.
    Thx for the words. And Michizure, if i where you, i would start to read your PM`s. I have send you a PM with all the massivly MB issue in PvP and their "legal" tools for assist and the like and nothing, but realy nothing happen.
    Trust me, 7 Players quit in end of Feb cause of this ignorance.

I dont thing that FunCom will realized only to focus shareholder value is a epic fail. You have stakeholder - look at you earnings in the last years...I hope that Anarchy Online will find a new publisher after they failed with Conan Exiles.

maybe psikie can make a video to teach us all how to kill mb? the best rk mb vs psikie

Quote Originally Posted by Allure View Post
    We from SINC was all at Team speak and had a group of 8 single players in the last big nw pvp in Feb 2016. He don't was alone. He simply saw that we can't assist to kill someone and saw MBer who can assist with their Box. Isn't very hard to find out who wins.
    You at SINC got rekt by 3 people in bs some time ago.. remember Moodypig/Hozpital/Traticrat?
    If you and your org/friends happen to get rekt in bs by 3 people, when you have around over a team ish (10), how are you gonna defeat a single multibox, let alone a team?
    So many questions for you, but theres that statement why you cannot do towers efficiently.
    "Meliz" Crat
    "Snoopdooog" MA
    "Melizabe" Sol
    "Hozpital" Arguably best 2016 doc
    "Sleekiez" The swiftest meeper ingame!
    "Cruzade" Will see you!
    "Stitmeistr" TL5 Enf
    "Cruzad3" 86 Agent
    "Treatmate" 86 Enf
    "Dankengine1" 39 Nanite FP Trader
    "Behekills" 21 Enf

Or check out our Informational Site
    Or apply today Rebirth Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Sleekyz View Post
    You at SINC got rekt by 3 people in bs some time ago.. remember Moodypig/Hozpital/Traticrat?
    If you and your org/friends happen to get rekt in bs by 3 people, when you have around over a team ish (10), how are you gonna defeat a single multibox, let alone a team?
    So many questions for you, but theres that statement why you cannot do towers efficiently.
    Wow more bull**** from the MB faction <3

Srly, we are talking here about some real issues in AO. Its not against your nerd ego when we talk about MB`ing, whats wrong with you? I dont remeber this...i am sure you does 100 screenshots and a movie. Dude get a life <3
    Last edited by Allure; May 11th, 2016 at 22:21:37.

I might come back to play AO if MB in PVP is fixed properly.

I have 4 accounts active atm, but I don't play any of them. I should probably cancle, but I'm just biding time waiting for the fix to come online.

I could have sworn Michi said something like: "even if this doesn't work, I have several more fixes to use"

Welp, the first few didn't work, so lets see what else you've got mate.

How about just say MB is not allowed in 25% zones? after some petitions, quickly MB will not be happening. Seems such an easy change.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleekyz View Post
    Ok so let's see if I get the translation right here.
    " If you and your org happen to beaten in BS by 3 people, when you had team of 10 people (approximately) how are you going to beat someone using software multi-plexing commands, never mind someone who is not."

Not entirely sure what "So many questions for you, but theres that statement why you cannot do towers efficiently" actually was supposed to mean other than,

"English is not my first language, you speak chang, chang come in 2 hour, sell you CC armor cheap give me you log in details, or virus will come and break you internets. have good day "

But hey, we can't rely on google translate for accuracy
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by UNIDENTIFIED View Post
    maybe psikie can make a video to teach us all how to kill mb? the best rk mb vs psikie
    I dont know who the best MB is but if I get to pick my team, sure thing lol.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

I have to agree with what is being said about MB, it being the most important problem with AO.

Twinking is what makes AO unique within the whole MMORPG genre. I haven't come across any game with such deep character customization. It's what made me fall in love with AO. I really enjoy making lowbie twinks and taking them to NW, joining my friends in battle. The only reason I eventually leveled up an end-game toon was to be able to finance more and better twinks.

However, I've lost interested in twinking and NW due to MB. No matter how well I twink, I cannot beat a MB on the enemy's side, and the MB on my side don't need my twink's help. I've tried to find other fun things to do in AO, like leveling up and gearing another end-game character. But, it's not very satisfying. Now that I've fully geared another 220, I'm getting bored again...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast