Thread: Missions: Scanning objects and mobs in AO

Missions: Scanning objects and mobs in AO

I've just spent quite a bit of time doing the Xan mission lines. Allthough the missions in themselves are interesting and valuable both for XP and items there is one thing that bothers me.

Scanning is used ALOT in the Xan line and that in itself is fine. What is annoying is the amount of ways you've come up with to scan objects and mobs. To scan Hecklers in Adonis you target and either right click on the mob with the scanner or just keep the target for a while (not sure tbh). To scan some items in Scheol you target and right click on the scanner. To scan mobs in Scheol you right click on the target with the scanner (or was it target and right click..?). And to scan other objects you drag the scanner and right click on the object. To scan some items in Adonis you just target them. You also have to left click on something with the scanner in one mission iirc.

And this is just for the Xan mission line. I am pretty sure I've found other ways to scan in other missions...

Do you see where I'm going with this? Is it really necessary to invent every iteration of object interaction in the known universe for scanning objects when target + activate scanner or just target would suffice for all of these?

Please make all of the scanners work in one way so that we don't have to go through the whole god damn repertoire of how to use an object on another every time there is a scan mission!

Shouldn't be that hard to streamline this...
    Chak - Back in the fold, completely clueless.

Rahmorak - I saw the events of 9/11 (or 11/9 for the rest of us ) unfold whilst playing AO, an experience shared across countries and nationalities. It was a moment where we saw the best (people all overthe world coming together in shock, grief and support) and the worst (e.g. cries of 'lets nuke <insert country>'), but it was a moment that would not have been possible but for the world of the internet and MMOs.
    In this medium we transcend boundaries, in here it matters not what the colour of your skin is, the religion to which you do or don't belong, whether you are 15 or 50, and whether or not you have a crippling disability. It is a nation of its own, where everyone starts out on equal terms and can forge friendships without superficial, cultural and nationlistic barriers.

Bit of consistency would be nice,yeah. Pick one and stick with it please FC

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

I agree 100%, it is very annoying.

However I can guess why is that happening:

1. Those quests and zones were developed over many years and coded by many different programers.
    FC (or former GDs/lead designers) never bothered with defining "procedure of scanning mobs and objects".
    2. Whenever any programer was told to code a quest that involve scaning mobs or objets with scaner they did what seemed to them logical, but as all humans are different they all had diferent ideas like: target mob then r-click scaner in inventory, target mob with scaner then r-click or l-click, drag and drop and many other ideas

The worst thing is that it may look like something easy to fix but in reality if you take into account "quality of FC's code" and "quality of FC's documentation of coding" it is probably a nightmare to find and fix such small but annoying bugs.
    Awikun 220/70/30 Ranged adv - my Main that I hardly ever log
    Awisha 220/70/30 Shade - Can solo 95% of all bosses
    Cratawi 200/70/30 Crat - S7/DR Solo farmer
    Awiken 220/70/30 Eng - Pvm Eng
    Nukiwa 200/70/30 NT - almost forgotten (awaiting retwink)
    Awidoc 200/70/30 Doc - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awix 200/70/30 Fix - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awienf 220/70/30 Enf - tanked every single boss (and still lives)
    Soldawi 220/70/30 Sol - Pvm Sold
    Awima 150/xx/xx Ma - best S10 MA farmer
    Doctorawi 220/70/30 - Pvm Doc
    Awienfo 200/70/30 - Atrox with Pande red belt and 2xQL300 hammers
    Macierewicz 220/70/30 - Pvm Crat
    Zlakobieta 220/70/30 - max complit +top tradeskiller

Quote Originally Posted by Awikun View Post
    I agree 100%, it is very annoying.

However I can guess why is that happening:

1. Those quests and zones were developed over many years and coded by many different programers.
    FC (or former GDs/lead designers) never bothered with defining "procedure of scanning mobs and objects".
    2. Whenever any programer was told to code a quest that involve scaning mobs or objets with scaner they did what seemed to them logical, but as all humans are different they all had diferent ideas like: target mob then r-click scaner in inventory, target mob with scaner then r-click or l-click, drag and drop and many other ideas

The worst thing is that it may look like something easy to fix but in reality if you take into account "quality of FC's code" and "quality of FC's documentation of coding" it is probably a nightmare to find and fix such small but annoying bugs.
    I agree with you if we consider all missions in the game, but the big bad boogeyman in this instance is a single mission line, which I highly doubt was made over severak years and patches. The Xan missions are all made at the same time, yet we still ended up with all of these ways to scan. I highly doubt this was created by more than a few people and changing it shouldn't really be that hard - for the Xan missions that is. I expect a little search and replace is all they really need to streamline this.

As for the other missions... I agree with you. That's a tougher nut to crack and could in practice be an impossible task in the end. That said, the original missions on RK are all set up with a single way to scan, left-click an item. Not sticking to this is just poor tradecraft imho...
    Chak - Back in the fold, completely clueless.

Rahmorak - I saw the events of 9/11 (or 11/9 for the rest of us ) unfold whilst playing AO, an experience shared across countries and nationalities. It was a moment where we saw the best (people all overthe world coming together in shock, grief and support) and the worst (e.g. cries of 'lets nuke <insert country>'), but it was a moment that would not have been possible but for the world of the internet and MMOs.
    In this medium we transcend boundaries, in here it matters not what the colour of your skin is, the religion to which you do or don't belong, whether you are 15 or 50, and whether or not you have a crippling disability. It is a nation of its own, where everyone starts out on equal terms and can forge friendships without superficial, cultural and nationlistic barriers.

Quote Originally Posted by Awikun View Post
    Designers make missions. Not programmers
    Programmers only create the mechanics and tools for designers to use.
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

Remco "Vhab" van Oosterhout
    Former Anarchy Online Game Programmer

Live Chat Support | E-mail Support | Forum Rules | AODevs | Vha.Chat

Yeah, this is the kind of thing that confuses people and especially new ones who are not used to trying out the 50 different ways things can be done here. I guess noone ever sat down at a meeting and went "let's brainstorm interaction possibilities and come up with the best way for each type of interaction we'll be using, and then you all use that going forward." :|
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Haha, then the programmers are at fault creating so many tools for scanning :P

If there was just one way to scan, then if Bob was designing stuff and his scanning part didn't work he had to ask Fred how he made it work the previous time...

Imho I think there should be 2 types of scanning. One, for scanning objects, and one for mob's/ npc's ....

Quote Originally Posted by Zwelgje View Post
    Haha, then the programmers are at fault creating so many tools for scanning :P

If there was just one way to scan, then if Bob was designing stuff and his scanning part didn't work he had to ask Fred how he made it work the previous time...

Imho I think there should be 2 types of scanning. One, for scanning objects, and one for mob's/ npc's ....
    Probably more of a result of the designers using the available tools for interaction in ways that were not intended if something is possible in some way, someone is going to use that way. I wonder if we look at questchains made by specific designers that have interaction with NPCs/world-spots in a way that requires using one item on the other, in any of the above mentioned ways, we would find that each designer only used one way of doing the interactions.

I'd imagine that someone would use the "pick item up and drop on target in world" scanning to somehow be more "immersive" than just rightclicking an item in your inventory and that's why they'd choose to do that, while another might think that targeting and then touching buttons on a scanner to like "hook in to your nanobot-targeting computer in your brain or whatever" and record the data to be more true to the in-game technology (although one might also wonder why there's a need for a scanner device in a world as technologically sophisticated as AO's).
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics