Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stop patching live for beta engine.

Stop patching live for beta engine.

Can we stop working on the beta engine on live?

Pushing an unfinished work to live for a larger test surface and then causing multiple downtime to fix the engine is not the way to go about development.

The test server is designed for small patches and quick deployment, collect a bunch of patches and do them all at once on live.

We need a patch Tuesday or something once a month unless it is some sort of emergency downtime.

The way it is now, AO seems like a fly by the seat of your pants operation that won't be gaining any support any time soon.

<jaded cynic>
    Putting it live is the only way Mich can get the resources (people/time) to work on it. The public scrutiny is necessary.
    </jaded cynic>

Also, it's Summer in North America. There's probably people on vacation.

If a <2h downtime every or every other week impacts your gaming life that much, I suggest you think about picking up a different hobby.
    OR do you want to rant about having the new engine on live without realizing that the way it was pushed to live was probably the only way we would ever get it at all ?
    No further significant work is expected to be done on this project going forward.

Exactly it would of rotted on test. Downtime doesn't bother me too much but the fixes should be more massive in scope though.

pheeeh... 2hrs downtime once a week... nothing.

Besides, Michi said there will be big update before months end.
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

AO has a lesser downtime than most modern online games. This is a non-issue.

If it helps the New Engine move along, it's 100% worth it for the people that can only play using it (the majority of people with Switchable Graphics Laptops).
    Michizure is love, Michizure is life.
    --
    Dywas - 220/30/70 Neutral Nanomage Nano-Technician
    Caramela - 220/30/70 Neutral Solitus Doctor
    Desejos - 220/30/?? Neutral Atrox Enforcer
    Gretchenross - 220/30/?? Neutral Opifex Shade
    Bizzle - 220/30/70 Neutral Atrox Soldier

--<3 Professional love--
    * Aiken pets Lazy on the head. Sure it is, you keep telling self that
    <Aiken> such a cutesy clammer aren't you *cheekpinch*
    <Lazy>
    <Lazy> viva la revolucion
    * Dywas decides to walk away from the soon-to-be sexytime
    <Aiken> lol Dywas, Id make a man of him
    <Lazy> Dywas, i'd go gay for aiken. no lie

This is the most unnecessary thread started ever.
    Jihnna 220/30/80 Shade
    Underworld

Please no. I'll take our current situation of frequent updates over the desert of stagnation that was previous years. It still hasn't fully sunken in yet that we're actually getting any updates at all, let alone ones that tend to skew this far towards the positive end of the scale.
    :E

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalBath View Post

If it helps the New Engine move along, it's 100% worth it for the people that can only play using it (the majority of people with Switchable Graphics Laptops).
    This ++++++++
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

This. Many MMOs patch weekly, with a similar 2 hour or longer downtime, not counting emergency patches caused by the patches. And further emergency patches caused by the emergency patches to patches. And sometimes patches to the patches to the patches to patches. And game-breaking stuff that stays in for months, even with a weekly patch cycle. STO, I'm looking at you.

Total and complete non-issue.
    -= Make the new engine look even better. Don't forget to post a screenshot! =-

Quote Originally Posted by jorricane View Post
    This. Many MMOs patch weekly, with a similar 2 hour or longer downtime, not counting emergency patches caused by the patches. And further emergency patches caused by the emergency patches to patches. And sometimes patches to the patches to the patches to patches. And game-breaking stuff that stays in for months, even with a weekly patch cycle. STO, I'm looking at you.

Total and complete non-issue.
    On a semi-off topic tone.. the best model I've had the chance to observe is the current one employed by CCP on EVE Online.
    There's a a fairly short downtime every morning. Sometimes it lasts for a few minutes, sometimes for an hour. Patches may extend this somewhat but nothing too dramatic.
    The "scheduled" official downtime is 11:00 to 11:30 GMT/UTC (aka EVE Time), every day.

If it meant getting rid of sync issues, playfield start/zoning issues and other similar annoyances I doubt most AO players would oppose to it..

Maybe something to look at once AO's out of the New Engine Open Beta.
    --

--<3 Professional love--
    <Lazy>

lol this is a very important

Quote Originally Posted by Headthumpa View Post
    Can we stop working on the beta engine on live?

Pushing an unfinished work to live for a larger test surface and then causing multiple downtime to fix the engine is not the way to go about development.

The test server is designed for small patches and quick deployment, collect a bunch of patches and do them all at once on live.

We need a patch Tuesday or something once a month unless it is some sort of emergency downtime.

The way it is now, AO seems like a fly by the seat of your pants operation that won't be gaining any support any time soon.
    I disagree, I think they're using their resources as efficiently as possible. everyone bitched and moaned and cried for the engine, now it's here, and it needs our help. they're doing the best with what they have, and trying to keep everyone happy at the same time.

it's not ideal, no, but it's a reality that us, and them, are living with...and it really isn't that big of a deal, I mean seriously, lol...somewhat petty to cry about downtime to FIX something, don't ya think? :P

As for people with limited play time, I feel ya, I'm the same way, I'm lucky if I get 20 hours a week to play, but I also know that I have a crapton other stuff I can do in the tiny instances where AO may be down for a fix...which also means, improvement, heading in the right direction, stuff we asked for, etc etc.

as for your idea, hammer, head of nail, hitting it. consolidate the patches if at all possible!

***EDIITTORUUU: well, I didn't read anything but the OP, now that I've posted my 2 cents, and looked back, I feel that I have added nothing lol. you guys said it all :P
    Last edited by RedWatr; Jul 14th, 2015 at 02:26:37.
    T O O N Z:
    Renamed (jeycihn) 220/30(so sexy, so Borealis...I miss it the most...still melee <3 thnx for all your help Scum!
    Giit 200/30 NM NT(THE most dangerous, and bitchy thing I ever created)
    Sixunder 158/21 NM Tra (158+SMG=Atomic bomb? Feather pillow? meh, depends on what mood she's in oO)
    Eightup 158/21 Opi Fix (perfect, maxed twink, definitive "FUN")
    Xerrrox 17X Opi Fix (GA4 fr00b...buff prostitute...reason to log in)
    Enjey 60/6 NM Eng (high maintenance OP'ness)
    Nanimated New NM Agent (no patience for it...sigh)
    Somethiing 200 Atrox Sold (potential x1k...not nearly enough "give a f*ck")
    P A R A D I S E ~&~ P A R A S I T E ~&~ B R O K E N ~&~ CCI ~&~ NOTHING PERSONAL

I guess I just live in a different world, as a sysadmin if my 24/7 servers went down as often or as long as AO's do I wouldn't have a job.

I guess I just live in a different world, as a sysadmin if my 24/7 servers went down as often or as long as AO's do I wouldn't have a job.
    Still, most other games have longer downtimes. These aren't ultra-critical systems, it's online gaming.
    Last edited by DigitalBath; Jul 14th, 2015 at 22:04:38.
    --

--<3 Professional love--
    <Lazy>

FC has improved lot their patching times. It used to be 4 hours for update. Now you see it done in hour or less at times.

Then again, uptime without updates is very admirable for AO compared to other MMOs. It's just not something you can do hot.
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

the servers is never down... am i missing out on something?

You realise that most modern MMORPGs have at least 1 downtime per week, some even once per day? 2 hours every few weeks is almost unprecedented for an old game like AO. Only Microsoft has patch tuesday, and even they push updates earlier if they have to. The reason why it's called an open beta is to test it in the live enviroment with as many players as possible. Without this we would be looking at several more years of testing before we saw any of it on live.
    Chak - Back in the fold, completely clueless.

Rahmorak - I saw the events of 9/11 (or 11/9 for the rest of us ) unfold whilst playing AO, an experience shared across countries and nationalities. It was a moment where we saw the best (people all overthe world coming together in shock, grief and support) and the worst (e.g. cries of 'lets nuke <insert country>'), but it was a moment that would not have been possible but for the world of the internet and MMOs.
    In this medium we transcend boundaries, in here it matters not what the colour of your skin is, the religion to which you do or don't belong, whether you are 15 or 50, and whether or not you have a crippling disability. It is a nation of its own, where everyone starts out on equal terms and can forge friendships without superficial, cultural and nationlistic barriers.

On a semi-off topic tone.. the best model I've had the chance to observe is the current one employed by CCP on EVE Online.
    There's a a fairly short downtime every morning. Sometimes it lasts for a few minutes, sometimes for an hour. Patches may extend this somewhat but nothing too dramatic.
    The "scheduled" official downtime is 11:00 to 11:30 GMT/UTC (aka EVE Time), every day.

If it meant getting rid of sync issues, playfield start/zoning issues and other similar annoyances I doubt most AO players would oppose to it..

Maybe something to look at once AO's out of the New Engine Open Beta.
    With the current game wouldn't that mean it would spawn/reset the timers for Gauntlet, Tara, real Beast, etc?
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

Quote Originally Posted by sultryvoltron View Post
    With the current game wouldn't that mean it would spawn/reset the timers for Gauntlet, Tara, real Beast, etc?
    Hmm.. possibly. That would definitely need to be addressed if we progressed to it.
    --

--<3 Professional love--
    <Lazy>