Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anarchy Online, Funcom and the Potential Future of the IP

Post Anarchy Online, Funcom and the Potential Future of the IP

Sadly, this will be the last contribution I make to the AO Community. My wife passed away Jan 14 of this year, with the love of my life gone my mind was clouded every day and night. I needed something to occupy myself with, to soothe the pain somehow. I decided to write. What better than about the hobby that kept me entertained for over a decade?

So, weeks went by, months went by as I wrote the document. I must've re-written it at least a hundred times, revising it over and over. Today I reached the end, I'm out of gas. There is no more inspiration left, nothing more I feel I can write.

The document is titled "Anarchy Online, Funcom and the Potential Future of the IP". I think for the most part, only the hardcore AO fans will bother to read it. It is a long and detailed document. It's almost 40 pages long (you have been warned).

If anyone from FC decides to read it, wear a helmet because the words are brutally honest and not all is kind to the company (but still have hope in the people in it) in the Prologue.

In short, there is a prologue where I express my personal feelings about AO and FC and my point of view regarding the future of the IP in the form of either a prequel or sequel to it. I then move on to 3 parts. The first part about the prequel in a lot of detail and how I think would work, the second part about the sequel also in detail and finally in part 3 the things which applies to both regarding technology, features, community reach and marketing. The document will remain public until the end of time (or whenever goggle decides to no longer support goggle docs).

In the years I've been a part of the AO Community, I've had the honor and pleasure of collaborating with a lot of wonderful people, some even from FC and ARK. It was a good run, some of my best gaming years were in AO.

So, thank you to everyone I've crossed paths with here. I wish everyone the best and I hope you all continue to enjoy AO in one form or another.

This is goodbye.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Appreciated your work for the AO community. Very much appreciated and good luck with your next venture in RK4 .... For now

take care man, thanks for your massive contributions to a game I love. I'm sorry to hear about your wife, try to find peace of mind, and focus your energies into something good for you, something good for your life, we only have this one. /brohug
    T O O N Z:
    Renamed (jeycihn) 220/30(so sexy, so Borealis...I miss it the most...still melee <3 thnx for all your help Scum!
    Giit 200/30 NM NT(THE most dangerous, and bitchy thing I ever created)
    Sixunder 158/21 NM Tra (158+SMG=Atomic bomb? Feather pillow? meh, depends on what mood she's in oO)
    Eightup 158/21 Opi Fix (perfect, maxed twink, definitive "FUN")
    Xerrrox 17X Opi Fix (GA4 fr00b...buff prostitute...reason to log in)
    Enjey 60/6 NM Eng (high maintenance OP'ness)
    Nanimated New NM Agent (no patience for it...sigh)
    Somethiing 200 Atrox Sold (potential x1k...not nearly enough "give a f*ck")
    P A R A D I S E ~&~ P A R A S I T E ~&~ B R O K E N ~&~ CCI ~&~ NOTHING PERSONAL

My condolences.

Thank you for your contributions.

Hopefully you'll come back to us someday! Sorry about your loss buddy :/
    Dysfunktion.
    Trypants.
    Setup.
    One bright day in the middle of the night,
    Two dead boys got up to fight.
    Back to back they faced each other,
    Drew their swords, and Shot each other.
    A deaf policeman heard the noise,
    He came and killed those two dead boys.
    If you don't believe this lie is true... ask the Blind Man, He saw it too.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My prayers to you and your family, now and always.

Also, thank you for your massive contributions to this game.

Funcom employee

From me personally, I'm sorry to hear of your loss, Windguaerd. Your involvement in and passion for the AO community has always been appreciated and admired. I'm sorry to see you go, but I understand completely.

Thank you for all of your contributions.

So I read it in one sitting on my smartphone. I know that it was a bad idea to read it on my phone but I don't always make good choices.

But you know what's a good choice? Reading this gentleman's well thought out and very in-depth document.

I particularly like the sequal deal. It works very well with what I would want in an mmo while keeping Anarchy Online the game we love.

I hope you have the best of luck in the future(possibly helping face AO2) and I am very sorry for your loss.
    220/30/70 OMNI SOLDIER - Tyler "Tyfow" Fowler SMG/PDKP -First!
    220/22/64 OMNI BUREAUCRAT - Iliek "Vaporeon" Mudkipz

I'm sorry for your loss.

Thank you for your contributions to AO and I wish you the very best for your future.
    Deadly Whisper - RK1
    too many alts for to little space

Best of luck Windguaerd and deeply sorry for your loss. I can't begin to imagine what you must feel losing the love of your life.

Thanks for all your contributions, I remember winning a contest where I got life-time subscription to AO and to this day I still use it!
    Ventor: lvl 220 PVP-Engi (RK-2)...
    Edenbeast: lvl 129 adv
    Linchpin: lvl 32 agent
    Innerspirit: lvl 136 doc
    Trifixion: lvl 1 trader (froob transfer acct)

I did read your document and while I somewhat agree with the feedback about Funcom I don't like the ideas in your prequel/sequel.

First of all, splitting the classes / powers etc using factions is a bad idea. You then proceed to take all of your good ideas, mash them together but the end result is a mess of things that wont fit together. Some of these features are only there to add frustration(Such as weapon reapairing). Others are just copy paste from other FANTASY role playing games. These fantasy game features don't work in other games already tried(Archage for example). And by far the worst idea in this document is the "Single main questline" and inclusion of other many side quests. If you take all the "modern" mmos such as TERA, ffxiv etc - these games are ruled by quests. These games are like single player games with other people running around. The beauty of AO is that its very player oriented. Players want to level, they team up with each other. This encourages finding friends and socializing. Quest usually means SINGLE PLAYER which is very bad. The exclusion being AOs dustbrigade quest which is in my opinion THE BEST quest in any MMO period. You do it with your whole team from start to finish. Its great. AOs "complexity" is actually a very simple concept executed well. For example the skill system, implants and twinking.

I am sorry for your loss, doesn't stop that gaping hollow pain when something reminds you of those you lost; it is early days Windy, there is no time limit to grief, and truly you never "get over it" you only accept it and let it become part of your inner tapestry as your journey continues.

One day, you will realise you are smiling again, take your time, and take care of yourself.

Much love

Carl.
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

Thanks for everything you've done for the community.

So sorry for your loss.
    Defrag 220 Crat
    Chuckle 220 Doctor
    Nates 220 Shade
    Magnite 219 Enf
    Chipbutty 212 Fixer

I am deeply sorry for your loss. Memories are a real existence that you can choose to live in, please choose happy ones!
    Main: - Vonshot: 217/26 Omni Trox Trader

Alts:
    - Nycrow: 191/11 Trox Fixer
    - Tanknip: 217/14 Trox Doctor, The Cookie Monster
    - Nightswan: 164/5 Solitus Crat
    - Ghostblade: 184/19 Trox Shade
    - Megachug: 57/5 Trox Enforcer
    - Kyllx: 51/5 Opifex Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Winning View Post
    And by far the worst idea in this document is the "Single main questline" and inclusion of other many side quests. If you take all the "modern" mmos such as TERA, ffxiv etc - these games are ruled by quests. These games are like single player games with other people running around.
    Giving players the ability to meaningfully progress outside of a team (or through automated party tools and the like) is the thing that saved MMOs from being nothing but poopsocker grottoes. Very few people want to be in a team all, or even most, of the time, because you're no longer going at your own pace, you're going at the pace of the team, and they are similarly constrained.

Furthermore, quests actually help make you feel like you're part of the world. I always hear people go on about the strength of AO's lore but the game does nothing to make you feel like you're a member of a powerful interstellar corporation, or a group of freedom fighters.

The beauty of AO is that its very player oriented. Players want to level, they team up with each other. This encourages finding friends and socializing.
    It encourages rote and repetitive grinding... or, as is more common nowadays, it encourages AFKing on a hill while someone you paid to level you blows up hecklers.

Quest usually means SINGLE PLAYER which is very bad. The exclusion being AOs dustbrigade quest which is in my opinion THE BEST quest in any MMO period. You do it with your whole team from start to finish. Its great.
    Or maybe you get halfway through and the team breaks up for any number of reasons, and you're left with a half-finished quest. Or you get to the Informant and nobody wants to do it right then and you end up waiting days/weeks/months to get it done.

AOs "complexity" is actually a very simple concept executed well. For example the skill system, implants and twinking.
    Just the opposite; AO is a shallow game that looks daunting to newbies and outsiders because it is poorly constructed and obtuse.
    I am wiser than any god or scientist, for I have squared the circle and cubed Earth's sphere, thus I have created 4 simultaneous separate 24 hour days within a 4-corner (as in a 4-corner classroom) rotation of Earth. See for yourself the absolute proof.

I'm deeply sorry for your loss and I hope you can find peace over time. I also gave your doc a read...there is definitely some great ideas and good insight found within those pages. AO has been this complete mystery of a success to me. As much as the game has declined over the last decade it's amazed me how strong the community has been. I think back to the early days (I started in 02) and I honestly cannot compare the enjoyment/excitement from back then to any other game I've played to date. Several years ago as the population slowly dwindled I kept saying if only FC could hit the reset button and take the game back to pre-AI or even pre-SL, make the graphic update, and do some balancing this game would come back to life in a heartbeat.

Anyways...much respect, Windguaerd. See you on RK4.
    220/30/70 - Atrox Agent - Tinypain
    220/30/70 - Atrox Keeper - Ivekeeper
    220/25/70 - Atrox Fixer - Zedy
    220/30/70 - Solitus Soldier - Tequiila
    172/20/35 - Nanomage Agent - Nanocide
    Storm

A few people have asked me to change the settings so they can leave comments (on goggle docs). It's been done.
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).

So sorry to hear about your loss.

thoughts are with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap View Post
    So sorry to hear about your loss.

thoughts are with you.
    Thanks, gets better every day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast