Thread: i'm so weirded out by people

i'm so weirded out by people

for all the mindless, crack-monkey, jibber-jabber that plagues this board - posted by seemingly half-interesting and very intelligent people, i still wonder - do you people, collectively think, that funcom, really gives a rats ass about what you think?

so many bright and creative people on this board - wasting your breath about this and that. geezus, are any of you programmers? do you have half a brain? why isn't anyone trying to make a new game. something like that. the way it sounds, you're all just eq addicts who've moved over to something different. i'm sure there's a legion of you who did just that. but then again, there's this other group of seemingly non-hostile, forward thinking people who just blow me away because i can't believe the denizens of you arent' programming and making some hot new title or something like that. don't wait for swg to make your dreams come true. you're just giving away more cash to someone who doesn't care what you want. think about it.

and crap, most of all, there's so much more to life than a game dammit. if you don't like what's happening with ao, why do you still play? i repeat, if you don't like what's happening with ao, why do you still play? i repeat, if you don't like what's happening with ao, why do you still play? 'because, there's nothing better to play'. that's what i always hear. you people obviously come from another dimension because in case you live under a floor mat in the cellar, you know damn well that there's tons of good stuff out there.

my argument is *for* funcom. you don't like what's going on here? cancel your account. or *better yet*, get something of your own going. my god - so much precious time lost with all these creative minds - all you can do is cry and whine because funcom doesn't listen to you. geezus people - pick up that c++ book and start doing some weekend benders programming a game that you like. sure it's hard and it's a daunting task. but *shame* on you for complaining about something which you give money to, have little control over, and still play nonetheless.

i'm trying to make a positive here. it just blows my mind how many uber-smart people roam this board and yet, you people don't even take sides with a game company who's just trying to make a buck with a cool idea.

random rant.

i'll shut up now.

Vim "Verymetal" Fuego
    Fun Loving Mercenary, Rabid Outlaw, Crude Noisemaker
    Working for Lady K, The Clans, The Cash, FREEDOM!

ANCARIM IRON LEGION

I see your point, and agree that some people may take the game too seriously (it is just a game after all)...

BUT...

There's an entire industry devoted to obtaining the kind of detailed feedback about products and services... Most companies pay for this information... Funcom is receiving it for free... It's called MARKETING RESEARCH.
    Born on: Wed Jun 27 15:39:10 2001
    Slavor, Soldier, RK1

Im quitting AO once I reach 2000 posts on these boards, actually Im quitting AO when something better comes out.. and right now that is very likely SW:G.

But honestly, the way AO is, i would quit to play checkers, or tic tac toe.

agreed...

it's just that too many people stopped having fun a long time ago. they should rename this game to 'short attention span theater'.

:-)

oh if only the amount of posts were converted to code... a new game is born.

lol... my post is a rant and i hate bumping. but i did it anyway.

cheers to all.

see you in west athen.

p.s. i'm looking for anti-cyborg rifles. yes i like them. i don't care what you think. if you have one, any ql, please /tell fisherhawk.

thanks all.

Vim "Verymetal" Fuego
    Fun Loving Mercenary, Rabid Outlaw, Crude Noisemaker
    Working for Lady K, The Clans, The Cash, FREEDOM!

ANCARIM IRON LEGION

What Ive noticed on these boards is no one knows how to use the "BUMP" action correctly.

People are bumping threads that are still at the top of the list.

The point to bumping is to get it to the top because its getting lower in the list and you feel personally it should still be easily noticed.

So, wait for the post to drop down the list before bumping or youre not bumping, you're spamming.

my responce

to emiko
    Can i have your stuff?

---------------------------------------
    to Very Metal

I am in no way shape or form leaving AO for RealWorld or Real Life, or whatever you called it. Its probably full of bugs, and won't get past the beta. (tongue in cheek humour for those who need the clue)

I post because I do believe it makes a difference. It makes a difference to FC, as they get my opinions, it matters because I Learn about the game in discussion. It matters because other read my post, and hopefully, I have made a little difference.

You are completely correct that I play too much, and take it too seriously. I am an amphibian, living half my life on rubi ka, and half in this RL thing. Most people I know play way too much, but its better than TV. Ok, its better than most TV.

I work in software development, and if we could have this level of passionate discussion about our product, we could have a much better product by now. Its like pulling teeth to get people to respond.

Also, to answer your questions, when people do get finally fed up, they do leave. They may have been threatening it for months, but there is something that makes them go discover something else. (I want their stuff). It is rather rediculous though to think that a threat in a forum will have any real impact on the design community. They simply dont have the bandwidth to cater to the individual.

My biggest frustration is watching people play for hundreds of hours a month, claim that it sucks, and then leave. If the game did suck, people would not have invested month or two in it. If they didn't care, they would not post, they would just leave quietly. I feel though that many people dont balance real life and gameplay, and as such, their discomfort probably comes from inbalance in life, not in the game play. Also, this is just a game, dont expect everything from it. While I agree we need more social emotes, and other things to do in AO, if this becomes a substitute for your reality, you need some real time away from the computer. As someone who has struggled with game addiction, I have to constantly remind myself, that at the end of my days, was getting item x really worth the month of camping. This is life, the only one we get, and many of us spend it on AO. is that really what you want. And if I have moved anyone to think about this thought seriously, can i have your stuff?

Ani.
    PLEASE, give use a simple YES or no answer as to whether or not the CoH chests can be opened

Originally posted by Emiko
    What Ive noticed on these boards is no one knows how to use the "BUMP" action correctly.

People are bumping threads that are still at the top of the list.

The point to bumping is to get it to the top because its getting lower in the list and you feel personally it should still be easily noticed.

So, wait for the post to drop down the list before bumping or youre not bumping, you're spamming.
    Others 'bump' for post count.

Originally posted by Cemetarygate

Others 'bump' for post count.
    bumping just for postcount=spam.
    bumping in the social forum won't give you postcount, though.

Stephen King may have some great ideas for the storyline of this game and how it should unfold.

Is it wrong that Funcom does not use them, no. Funcom should already have a final gameplan, and should be sequentially unfolding this, by adding elements to the game. Certain ideas must be dropped as theory collapses upon meeting reality, or emergency modifications must be made if introduced additions fail to work as planned, but the general course is set.

Two development teams must be at work, one fixing day to day mechanics, the other calculating when and how to introduce elements of their final vision.

People often post on how to improve tomorrow, when Funcom is thinking months in advance. So its not that they don't care about what we say, its just that it is way too late for them to willy nilly reprogram the game for someones cool idea.

After the last patch people complained that the mobs were too hard because they could not kill them. "We had "x" level 200 players and the mob would not die, you screwed up!"

Funcom stated that this is not about numbers, but stategy and staging. You want to kill him today, you will then want something new tomorrow. You want instant gratification, they need to introduce elements with some lasting appeal. You were not meant to charge this area and win. You will have to develop a strategy, this may take some time.

Back to Stephen King. Should he put his writing career on hold so that he can learn to develop computers game, because Funcom did not use his ideas? Absurd. If he thinks his car engine should sound like a musical score and the automanufacturers don't implement this, should he develop a career in mechanical engineering to accomplish this?

Just because people are creative doesn't mean they know jack about computers or programming. A casual suggestion for change, here or there, doesn't mean I want to spend years of my life effecting that change.

The bottom line, is that people post ideas here which are creative, but rather shortsighted and don't combine with other equally interesting ideas.

So why post?

People like the praise from other players, people like to express themselves, sometimes they just need to let off steam. Could you imagine how few people would be playing AO if this forum did not exist. My guess is "zero"

People may be frustrated in not having their ideas implemented, but still derive pleasure from expressing themselves and receiving praise from others.

Don't think that Funcom is sort of assembling the story on the go, and can just grab ideas here and there to throw in. Folks, the story is done, the path is laid. Funcom just hopes that its' vision is interesting enough to keep you around, and that they have the programmers to pull it off (Oh my God, do you remember its release, great concept, but no workie).

I still believe that Funcom feels it has time to string us along, despite our complaints about lack of substance. They are betting on human nature, they know that most people are focused on leveling and will only seriously roleplay when they hit 200.

I think they would like to have more content in the game, but this whole thing has been a lot harder accomplish than they thought.
    Last edited by hobbes; Oct 24th, 2002 at 13:05:33.
    "So shines a good deed in a weary world."