Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Monthly Development Update - June 2015 (Uno, dos, tres, Catorce!)

Quote Originally Posted by Uaintseenme View Post
    On the subject of "Other visual enhancements", i know of atleast a dozen AO players who spend time elsewhere on the interwebs who are quite talented texture artists, animators and 3D artists who im sure would be willing to lend a hand replaceing any of the assets you'd like to see upgraded to take full advantage of features the new engine has to offer.
    I'd also hazard a guess that AO is a higher priority to those players than it is to FC, maybe you'd conssider a competion of some sort open to people who'd actualy like to contribute to the ongoing world of AO.
    Starting with somethign like a basic texture challenge for a building or random npc/mob and if the quality of entries meets the standard possibly, offering up something more intresting in the future.
    This actually has floated around the office in the past a few times. At the time the team even reached out to several individuals to test if this concept would be feasible.
    The main issue is in the amount in tweaks, feedback and iterations needed to get any asset production ready.
    Particularly so for 3D models which have quite a few technical requirements before being suitable for AO.
    In the end, it wasn't really saving us much time due to the overhead involved.

These issues largely stem from being unable to provide volunteers with a pipeline to export and test their assets on their own.
    And unfortunately, due to the way AO tools and assets work, it's not very feasible to provide these tools.

It would be awesome, but in practice without a good way for volunteers to test their assets, I don't see it working at least.
    A community made model exporter (from AO to some common format) would go a long way for at least texture artists to be able to get work in a productive manner.
    Last edited by Vhab; Jul 23rd, 2015 at 09:46:00.
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

Remco "Vhab" van Oosterhout
    Former Anarchy Online Game Programmer

Live Chat Support | E-mail Support | Forum Rules | AODevs | Vha.Chat

What they need to do, is get a bunch of money, buy the assets so they own them, no more of this third party crap, and let the force flow through the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    A community made model exporter (from AO to some common format) would go a long way for at least texture artists to be able to get work in a productive manner.
    So what exact format is AO using/storing the models in? Is it a homegrown format? I have written converters for openflight to wavefront and 3ds to wavefront in the past and as such have some experience with this very topic you mention. The actual conversion process is pretty straight forward if you have the software structure of both formats. Not saying I would or would not take the project on but an idea of the scope of the effort might get a viable volunteer.
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

Nice progress. Imagine community retexturing project.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    This'll be fixed for the next patch

Quote Originally Posted by Lheann View Post
    Is it a homegrown format?
    yes. though with the new engine there might be the benefit of possible existing tools for AoC or TSW.
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

Remco "Vhab" van Oosterhout
    Former Anarchy Online Game Programmer

Live Chat Support | E-mail Support | Forum Rules | AODevs | Vha.Chat

Is there no chance of using appropriate textures from TSW and AoC? I'm not sure if there are any legal or engine issues that this would bring, but it could save alot of resources if done correctly with textures that would fit into the overall art style.
    Last edited by blackhawks93; Jul 25th, 2015 at 21:15:46.
    -Equilibrium-
    Perkable - 220/30 Crat
    Enforcblack - 220/30 Enf
    Blacklist - 200/30 Adv
    Blackhawkzz - 200/30 Crat
    Nano93 - 168/23 NT
    Blackhawkss - 164/22 Sold
    Black - 150/20 Enf
    Blackhawks - 126/15 Agent
    Cannibalz - 92/9 Enf
    Blackhawks00 -57/6 MP
    Blackhawkd - 29/3 Tard

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawks93 View Post
    Is there no chance of using appropriate textures from TSW and AoC? I'm not sure if there are any legal or engine issues that this would bring, but it could save alot of resources if done correctly with textures that would fit into the overall art style.
    Aye, there are a lot, especially in TSW, that would work very well in AO, if it is even remotely possible/plausible.
    -= Make the new engine look even better. Don't forget to post a screenshot! =-

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123