Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: AO New Engine Crashing

I have the occasional freeze in Win 8.1 Pro 64. Intensive zone transfers, rome red and a round of battlestations usually does it for me. I did a prefs wipe (except for chat/containers/macro.bin) which helped a bit.

I still revert back to logging on with the old client for trusted stability in raiding/towers.

Code:
    ---------------
    Diagnostics
    ---------------

Windows Error Reporting:
    +++ WER0 +++:
    Fault bucket 128871091697, type 5

Event Name: AppHangB1

Response: Not available

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: AnarchyOnline.exe

P2: 1.0.0.1

P3: 559b6782

P4: 938d

P5: 134234626

P6: 

P7: 

P8: 

P9: 

P10:
    "Do, or do not, there is no try."
    Guru, Finalizer, Eternalist, Dictator, SupremeCreator
    /wts dysfunctional family MoK, P51, CoN, SBI
    Comic Strip - BBar's Tales of the Tickle (Chap.3) ©2004

Keep crashing every single time when leaving rome red (into grid or into rome) and have to kill task ...

Would be nice if that would be fixed some day ... just saying ...
    Account created
    2001-06-30 18:09:12

New to AO? Check this

Explorer 86%
    Socializer 60%
    Achiever 33%
    Killer 20%

I also have the black screen problem/freeze.

System:
    Intel® Core i7-3930K Processor Socket-LGA2011, Six Core, 3.2Ghz, 12MB
    ASUS P9X79 Deluxe, Socket-2011 ATX, X79, 8xDDR3, 4xPCIe(3.0)x16, CFX&SLI, 2xGbLAN
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 3.0, 1xDVI, native-HDMI, 2xmini-DisplayPort (running 2560x1440x32)
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866MHz 32GB CL10 Kit w/4x 8B, CL10-1110-30, 1.5V

Windows 7 x64

Monitor:
    2x Dell UltraSharp™ U2711 69 cm (27")

Story is, I log on, and usually the game starts freezing up and/or flickering to black screen (as if gfx drivers are recovering from crash), before I can even pick a character and press play. It is 100% reproducible. If I keep running through the flickering and freezing it will eventually bluescreen.

I've tried running the lowest resolution available, and it does help, but only for a few minutes, it will just delay the inevitable.

I have tried turning off all manner of gfx options like AA, it makes no change.

I have done countless fresh installs.

I have selected all different graphics cards available in the settings.

I have the latest drivers.

I have 2 monitors, DVI and DP, I have tried disabling one and the other, same result regardless of monitor setup.

I tried SweetFX, just because I read that could help somewhere (all though I think that most applies to old engine)....didn't help.

Don't have problems with other games.
    220/30/70 Martial Artist
    220/30/68 Trader
    220/30/68 Doc
    220/18/58 Trader (Tradeskiller)
    220/16/32 Meta-Physicist
    200/30/67 Enforcer
    200/26/65 Soldier
    161/22/27 Keeper
    150/20/39 Enforcer
    150/14/37 Adventurer
    136/17/35 Nano-Technician

Installing the full DX10 software helped for me, try that (see Caloss2 post previous page)
    Ventor: lvl 220 PVP-Engi (RK-2)...
    Edenbeast: lvl 129 adv
    Linchpin: lvl 32 agent
    Innerspirit: lvl 136 doc
    Trifixion: lvl 1 trader (froob transfer acct)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down...ils.aspx?id=35

Win 7 -8 - 10 are all missing some dx9 .dll files unless you run other older games which run this intaller as part of their install process hence the captain picard meme " Why the F##k do you want to install directeX again"

caution NOT work safe.
    http://www.quickmeme.com/img/08/0890...e4967f608a.jpg
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

Does the new engine use all the cores of processor instead of only one?

This is the link to the "DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)" (newest version)
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...s.aspx?id=8109

This will add any missing dx libraries to your system for newer OS's that come pre bundled with DX10 or higher and dont let older 9c installers run. Some older software specifically tries to use 9c libraries instead of the 9c compatible 10 libraries, this should help them.

No idea if it has any impact to AO's new engine though, but if you're having issues on windows 8x or higher its worth a shot.
    Krause Equip

*** Krause's Evil WTB Thread! (Weird/Odd Stuff) ***
    (Items like "Lost Faith/Hope", "Wreath of Insects", "Chirop Exoskeleton Wing Mesh", "Small Jar", "Old Barrel")
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This is going to get done if it kills me or preferably someone else.

Also get random freez and not responding client with new engine. It happens randomly, while zoning, running somewhere or even while afk. Only hard client kill helps.

I would go to the old client, but problem for me is that game is blury on the old client and here is the reason. I have 28'' 4k monitor. Running windows 10 and I have scaled windows to 125% so my icons wouldn't look too small, everything is way too small on 28'' 4k.
    While windows GUI scales very nicely, AO however, looks very blury and it's just so ugly. Imagine looking at the picture while you have it zoomed in and you can see pixels... This is how my game looks on the old engine. I have tried to reset to native resolution and play old client then, but also noticed that old client only supports 1080p and any larger resolution wouldn't launch the game.

I have talked to the GM about this and he said he will report this to the dev, but not sure anymore how true that is

Anybody have any comments to my problem?

p.s. the most I like from new engine are sun specters in some areas and AA - makes characters look so nice. (apologies for of the topic post)
    Just finished setting up prefs and client crashed.

Hmm, way wayyyy too early to tell for sure but I just ran that DX runtimes installer I posted and have not had an issue since. I normally would have frozen a bunch of times while hanging out semi afk in very populated areas like Bor for hours.

Drdoll, don't really know how to fix your problem but on my Laptop even with the new engine AO seemed to actually scale along with windows DPI, the higher the DPI, the larger the AO window got, almost as if I had lowered my actual native resolution. I don't know why but I wasn't expecting it to have an effect on AO, the same way Java applications seem to ignore DPI.

This was in windowed mode, I haven't tried it but I get the feeling this wouldn't happen in fullscreen.
    Last edited by Krause; Nov 24th, 2015 at 17:19:35.
    Krause Equip

*** Krause's Evil WTB Thread! (Weird/Odd Stuff) ***
    (Items like "Lost Faith/Hope", "Wreath of Insects", "Chirop Exoskeleton Wing Mesh", "Small Jar", "Old Barrel")
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This is going to get done if it kills me or preferably someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Krause View Post
    I normally would have frozen a bunch of times while hanging out semi afk in very populated areas like Bor for hours.
    Exactly what I get, but in addition it also happens randomly regardless of what is happening. Crashes happens very often while in battlestation.

I also have 24'' monitor as secondary which is running 1080p. If i drag AO client (old one, not new engine) to 2nd monitor it is clear as crisp as it always was, but on the 4k monitor it is not scaled properly; hence the blury image. I had this with other few applications also, for example Skype. Microsoft did update on that and now Skype looks awesome on any of my screens. Note that my 24'' 1080p is not scaled, only 4k monitor is set to scale to 125%. It is strange that setting different DPI works good for you and not for me. If AO supports this scaling then it should work for me also.

@Krause what version of windows do you run if it is windows of course? And what was native laptop resolution? Old client doesn't support greater than 1080p, well at least for me it didn't started if I tried to set higher, only new engine was capable.

You may ask why don't I play on 24'' monitor then, well simply because I like 4k monitor more and in settings I cannot choose which monitor AO client should run (in other games you can, EVE online for example). If I drag it manually to the 24'' then client is placed bit off because of the borders. There is no way to play fullscreen or borderless otherwise I wouldn't be able to drag the client, if that makes sense. Also while playing on 4k monitor I can play on higher than 1080p resolution which makes all of my windows and tabs and raid interface and everything else to be placed on screen at the same time which I love.

So I would definitely go back to the old client if it wasn't blury, because it also gives more fps, like 100 fps constantly, maybe 70-90 fps while in big raids. New engine is very laggy for me, times I get like 15fps for example in beast lair.

ps. My specs:
    Core i5 4670k @ 4Gz
    Gigabyte GTX970
    RAM 16GB
    250GB SSD
    Win 10

I'm getting rome red client hangs more and more frequently now, and I've also started hanging trying to zone into a backyard from Borealis. I haven't made any changes ot my system or drivers in a few months. This got really old, really fast and the worst part of the hangs is that it doesn't generate the automatic report becasue I have to manually terminate the client process

Could do with an Engine stability patch next...

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

I found a way to play old client on 4k monitor even when windows scale is set to 125%, but there is catch to it and I explain what it is. I found option under application properties that you can disable Windows HUD scaling for individual application, this is really nice to coupe with the applications that are not updated yet for 4k monitors.

Ok so I can play AO old client now and I get massive fps which is really nice, the problem however is that old client max resolution can only be 1900x1200 which is close to 1/4 of my screen by the looks. Was wondering can old client be updated to support higher resolution in easy way? If I try to manually set resolution higher than 1900x1200 the client just doesn't launch. With 4k monitor on my table I suddenly find my self 1900x1200 doesn't able to fit all my stuff on client anymore.

this is worse than an alpha test

~edit~ okay to add something constructive besides bitching: there's a big problem with updating and often the patcher gets stuck at integrity check. I hope you know how irritating it is to reinstall and backup prefs...
    Last edited by Heresiarch; Dec 9th, 2015 at 23:46:04.

I wonder if the latest patch affected something, because last night I was getting the new engine client hangs all over the bloody place. At one point after restarting I wasn't able to zone even once before having to restart it again, and it wasn't limited to Omni city zones either...

It's as if the client and the server are not properly communicating - the client-to-hang stops rendering entities like Grid points and players but those things are still visible on the PF Map and tab-targettable. Unmorphing, e.g. getting off a phasefront, doesn't actually switch your character model back to normal and you slide along the floor motionless. Bits of the zone furniture, walls and floors don't render. Attempting to zone through a zone border or a whompah either hangs the client while zoning, or if you can actually make it across the zone without the client hanging then the next zone fails to load (at least you can type into chat about having to restart your client that way).

And the worst part is, it's not a crash. There is no automatic bug report. You either have to force-close the client,or log off and close it before restarting it. This **** probably isn't even getting flagged up as a result.

Nahuatl
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    Silentmotion
    The Union

yeah there is also this desync thing where it stops loading objects like the grid and players, and then you realize you can't even sit down and have to do a hard reset.

Quote Originally Posted by Drdoll View Post
    old client max resolution can only be 1900x1200 which is close to 1/4 of my screen by the looks. Was wondering can old client be updated to support higher resolution in easy way? If I try to manually set resolution higher than 1900x1200 the client just doesn't launch. With 4k monitor on my table I suddenly find my self 1900x1200 doesn't able to fit all my stuff on client anymore.
    If you manually type in the resolution 2048 x 2048 is the largest size.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophiuchus View Post
    I wonder if the latest patch affected something, because last night I was getting the new engine client hangs all over the bloody place. At one point after restarting I wasn't able to zone even once before having to restart it again, and it wasn't limited to Omni city zones either...
    I'm getting more ctd, lately on a simple tara - instead of regular battlestation or rome red.
    Everything else inf/city raids/farming for hours is fairly stable.
    "Do, or do not, there is no try."
    Guru, Finalizer, Eternalist, Dictator, SupremeCreator
    /wts dysfunctional family MoK, P51, CoN, SBI
    Comic Strip - BBar's Tales of the Tickle (Chap.3) ©2004

I did foreman's quest dual logged the other night. One client install (max settings) had 1 hang during one of the many trips back to Hercules Lincoln for an update. The other client install (min settings) had 6 (six) hangs zoning back and forth between Lincoln and Biomare (always fun when it happens in 2HO...) and 3 crashes whilst inside Biomare itself - one of which was an instant crash upon logging back in after a previous crash. I always send the bug report when I get that popup after a crash. Pity there isn't one for the hangs... Maybe FC can add something to track fast client exits and immediate restarts and relogs back into the same character.

I have been careful not to alter or update anything on my PC for a while. I am planning to hit up Win10 in the New Year so I'm holding off on making any changes until then. The only things that are updating are my game clients.

Nahuatl
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    Silentmotion
    The Union

Quote Originally Posted by Heresiarch View Post
    yeah there is also this desync thing where it stops loading objects like the grid and players, and then you realize you can't even sit down and have to do a hard reset.
    I get this as well. Usually after sitting idle for a bit I come back and all characters and objects are gone. I can still wander around but as you said, have to fully quit for it to be fixed. A logout to character select works but none of the characters are rendered.

Couldn't reaad the whole thread but has a solution been found to being unable to go back to game after alt tabbing in fullscreen ? I Wouldn't mind this really since no such issue exist in windowed mode but i get half the fps i get in windowed.. This is really taking the fun out of me playing the game in my case.

edit: somehow I managed to get good fps on windowed too, probably by reducing some settings on the launcher.
    Last edited by fevaxium; Jan 18th, 2016 at 11:57:41.

My solution to ****ty fps (unable to run correct driver), ingame crash, and tabbing bug.

Was to go into the power managment; select the gfx card to run all the time, up my cpu regular usage in % from 5 to 15%, and then selecting the nvidia processor driver, on the nvidia control panel.

The nex time i ran AO, i went from 5fps to 50 fps and AO stopped crashing.
    Judette 220 Opifex Fixer
    Murderyou 220 Atrox Enforcer
    Edlindar 195 Solitus Keeper
    Judejnr 165 Opifex Adventurer

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345