Thread: Is this what you guys want?

Is this what you guys want?

Ok for stuff for starters...

I dont PvP, and I dont plan to (my main is an Eng).

I'm seeing a lot of posts that have a similar 'theme' to them..

Make the game more PvP oriented (or similar)

and

PvP will help the story (or similar)

and the booster appear to tie in with these 2 themes nicely

Now at first I laughed and though "What the hell are these guys thinking" but I _think_ I've figured it out, but no ones actually come out and said it, so the question is, is this what you want?

Do you want a PvP system where factions gain bonuses (in one form or another, such as land/terrain) - sounds a lot like the booster doesnt it

and it is by this 'function' that the story is effected (i.e. if the clanners captured every zone possible, the clanners win the war?)

I've seen this before playing Heavy Gear online (and to a lesser degree in DAoC).

I'll relate to Heavy Gear as I dont play DAoC much.

When I started playing Heavy Gear on the internet the war may as well have already been over. I sided with 'the north' partially because you play the north in the single player and so know the equipment better, but mainly because I liked their equipment better (probably because I knew it better).

The way the system worked was players played stand alone games in teams and if the game included players from both factions it was PvP (but with bots as well) otherwise it was just agains bots (bot games still count though). The faction that wons 'total' would go up and having a higher 'total' gave you access to better equipment etc. While you played games with people 'local' to you (in terms of ping times) the battle results were global.

You could tailor your attacks on specific targets (supply dumps, comms centres etc) and victory would net you bonuses appropriate to the target (take over supplies = get better stuff) and penalise the enemy accordingly (lose supplies = lose stuff).

These benefits/penalties weren't immediately tangible though (for example you wouldnt get new stuff in the next game you played if you had just captured a supply depot) as it took a large difference in points to make any difference to the game.

The problem was that when I joined the North had a negative figure.....in the hundred thousands IIRC. I dont think this was due to the north players being rubbish, but due to the vast majority playing on the south side (because they had been the north in the single player) and once the losing streak started, the slide just got worse, because the south players had better intel, better supplies, better reserves, better everything, there was just no way to turn the tide.

On the plus side the game 'bottomed out' at a certain point (dont know if this was by design), so the north wasnt going to get any worse, but for south players this defeated the point since there wasnt going to be an absolute victory (the online game didnt 'end' when set condition were met such as a point total or difference, it just kept going) but similarly the north players knew they could never even come back to a draw from their current position so they didnt see the point either.

Yes I'm rambling but I suppose the point of all this is that, if this is truely what you people want the ability to determine the outcome of the war by the continued defeat of the opposing faction then _someone_ is going to be disapointed. The side with the most (PvP) players will win, and if a bonuses/penalty system is in place the winners will just win more quickly (very much like RvR in DAoC) while the losers give up or jump ship to the winning side.

The ability for 'player victory' will overide the games projected 4 year story, nevermind the rest of its life, so FC either pack the game up early or have to justify Omnis continuance after clan victory (continuing my example) or make said victory irrelevant. Any new players will either join the clans, or choose Omni and then regret being 'losers' and either quit or change sides.

Is this what you want?
    Dont you think I look like Geordie from Star Trek?
    <-----------------------------------------------------------
    Actually I look more of a cross between him and Picard don't I?

First off, good post =D

Second, I have not kept up much with booster pack news, so bear with me.

Third, my thoughts on all this.

I thought the buffs were only area buffs. IE you have to be within the range of a tower to receive them. If this is true, then this is correct. A defending team should be the strong team. They would know the terrain better, would have defended the same area multiple times, and depending on the environment a decent defense can outlast a good offense. Case in point, the box room in Camelot.

I don't believe you get any sort of buffs to help you attack other towers. Also, buffs do not stack for multiple towers in the area, so it's not like it can become waaaaaay oversided.

On the other hand, these towers are supposed to be defending mines of some sort aren't they? If the mines produce credits, or liquid assets, then the strong become richer and get their gear. But most high level players in the game already have all the gear they need to launch a powerful assault. The only loot not really in mass population is Tarasque and the new mob stuff. And if you want to wear a padded overcoat to war, by all means do so =D

I don't see any problems with the booster pack. I don't think anyone really gives a crap about the storyline. It's just one of the many scapegoats for our complaints about PvP.

I want short-term and long-term realistically obtainable goals through the medium of PvP that yield fair rewards. And I'd like to see the rewards as something other than ultra-uber loot (which is why I like the buff idea). We need something that everyone can benefit from and feel good about winning a multi-hour skirmish.

The reason for pvp...to me anyway...isn't about my side of the conflict 'winning' the storyline. Nen put it best that the roleplaying aspect is pretty much a scapegoat, but i suppose its hitting two birds with one stone since roleplaying is already a laughable thing criticized even more than pvp has ever been. Can't say i'm surprised either. I can't help but tell someone to go piss in their own yard when they send me a 2 page /tell about why i shouldn't test guns on guards that respawn in a few seconds.

I saw you quote 'make the game more pvp oriented' that was the title of one of my suggestions forums threads. That thread pretty much sums up what i want. Variety.

As far as the booster goes before i make any judgements about it i think i'll wait and see how the circus rolls out.
    "A man is someone who has a cause he's willing to fight for and has a woman in his life he'll do anything to protect."
    -SDI Ssgt. Port, USMC, MCRD Parris Island S.C.

Experienced Stars "Stromm" Nstripes - Retired

Fun stuff: 1 2 3 4 (NEW!!)

Ok perhaps I shouldnt have mentioned the booster pack in my original post.

I'm not suggesting that this is what the booster is trying to achieve, it just happens to tie in with a couple of the points about 'conquest' I was making (I personally believe that the land control in the booster is too 'small scale' to effect anything beyond the guild that owns the land and the guild attacking it).

The main thrust of my post was a genuine question, is what I describe something that alot of PvP'ers would like?

Again personally I hope not for all the reasons I stated, but unfortunately you are left with PvP being 'impotent' in terms of storyline.

Just some thoughts to discuss anyways...
    Dont you think I look like Geordie from Star Trek?
    <-----------------------------------------------------------
    Actually I look more of a cross between him and Picard don't I?

Originally posted by Warlock
    Ok perhaps I shouldnt have mentioned the booster pack in my original post.

I'm not suggesting that this is what the booster is trying to achieve, it just happens to tie in with a couple of the points about 'conquest' I was making (I personally believe that the land control in the booster is too 'small scale' to effect anything beyond the guild that owns the land and the guild attacking it).

The main thrust of my post was a genuine question, is what I describe something that alot of PvP'ers would like?

Again personally I hope not for all the reasons I stated, but unfortunately you are left with PvP being 'impotent' in terms of storyline.

Just some thoughts to discuss anyways...
    I apologize for the confusion, then. Personally i pvp for the fun of it, but if roleplaying has some effect in pvp (event, where things can still be balanced) i would welcome that. From what i see, not that im speaking for the majority of pvp'ers, but i think a lot of the people who pvp aren't looking for a 'total conquest' type of pvp. Both sides seem to get frustrated when there is no adversary present at a certain time in pvp zones.
    "A man is someone who has a cause he's willing to fight for and has a woman in his life he'll do anything to protect."
    -SDI Ssgt. Port, USMC, MCRD Parris Island S.C.

Experienced Stars "Stromm" Nstripes - Retired

Fun stuff: 1 2 3 4 (NEW!!)