Thread: This terminal can not be activated while you are in combat.

This terminal can not be activated while you are in combat.

When was this change made? Is this an accidental consequence of changing beacons and meeps to suit PvP?

We can't enter the grid if we have agro from some random mob that could be half way across the playfield?

I thought it was just if you were also flagged, from reading another thread posted today. However, when I tested it I discovered that having a flag is not the issue ... having agro prevents you from using a grid terminal.

I was testing with the newland grid terminal.

Emma

edit: If this was something done so people can't grid out of battlestations or something else specific then make particular grid terminals check for agro and Tell us which ones those are.
    Last edited by Emma; May 10th, 2015 at 23:49:30.

Yep, these changes have all added up to making moving around an extremely frustraitng affair. For example, missions like the graffiti daily are not at all worth the hassle any more because once you've tagged everyting you can't leave. You can't use the grid. You can't use your beacons. You can't yalm/bike up. Unless you're a fixer who can meep or you have a pocket engi with a beacon warp while you kite whatever guards are after you, the only way you can leave is to slowly manually run either to the next zone or to a whompah, hoping the train of mobs you pick up doens't kill you.

Which is all extremely frustrating and idiotic.
    Last edited by Ophiuchus; May 11th, 2015 at 00:12:17.

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

It's always worked that way—or at least for as long as I've played.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum View Post
    It's always worked that way—or at least for as long as I've played.
    Nope ... not using a grid terminal if you have agg is new.

However, there have been times FC tried to change being able to zone with agg and eventually reversed the changes because people couldn't enter missions in Adonis etc.

Emma

Quote Originally Posted by Emma View Post
    Nope ... not using a grid terminal if you have agg is new.
    It absolutely is not new.

Omnis who have tried to use the guarded grid terminal outside Tir should be quite familiar with that.
    Last edited by Scum; May 11th, 2015 at 01:40:29.

Sorry Emma but it's always been like this, flagged or not. I've played with damn Athen/Tir guards enough to be 1000% sure.

The real matter here is you can keep aggro from a grey mob on a speed-capped toon from a side of a playfield to another, what is really stupid, even worse when you have pets running at 2/3 of your own speed.

On the other side Ophi, you can use the spray while in yalm...
    220/70/30 OpiFix - Useless PVM Ex RK Queen
    220/80/30 TroxDoc - Alpha Brain @soon !
    220/80/30 SoliEngi - TSing everything
    220/70/30 SoliTrader - MA >>>> Shottie
    220/80/30 Crat - Why the hell do other profs still exist ?

And tons of alts !

Can not use grid terminals with agro since 2001, 100% nothing new.
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

Just confirming using grid while agg'd has never been possible. Meetmedere PvP revolved around that quite a bit in 2003/4'ish.
    Michizure is love, Michizure is life.
    --
    Dywas - 220/30/70 Neutral Nanomage Nano-Technician
    Caramela - 220/30/70 Neutral Solitus Doctor
    Desejos - 220/30/?? Neutral Atrox Enforcer
    Gretchenross - 220/30/?? Neutral Opifex Shade
    Bizzle - 220/30/70 Neutral Atrox Soldier

--<3 Professional love--
    * Aiken pets Lazy on the head. Sure it is, you keep telling self that
    <Aiken> such a cutesy clammer aren't you *cheekpinch*
    <Lazy>
    <Lazy> viva la revolucion
    * Dywas decides to walk away from the soon-to-be sexytime
    <Aiken> lol Dywas, Id make a man of him
    <Lazy> Dywas, i'd go gay for aiken. no lie

It seems amazing to me that while I have been playing since 2003 I have never had occasion to attempt to use a grid terminal while I had agg ...

Many times I have seen Funcom make changes back and forth as to whether I could zone with agro.

I suppose I shouldn't assume that since this is the first time in 10+ years it has ever come up for me, that it was new.

Emma

I have always been able to use most of the grid terminals with agg. Only one I ever had any trouble with was Sentinals and I have suspected that was do to the pvp flag I usually ended up with. So, this is a new change. About 2006 or so, there was a change that prohibited entering the grid with agro, but it was quickly reversed after the complaints about random grey mobs halfway across the playfield still hating you. Not sure why this was ever brought back. As silly now as it was then.

Things like this happen every day. Seasoned veterans who've played from the Beta days stumble upon something they had never noticed before.

Just glad it's all sorted and there's no changes/bugs involved.
    --

--<3 Professional love--
    <Lazy>

Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    I have always been able to use most of the grid terminals with agg. Only one I ever had any trouble with was Sentinals and I have suspected that was do to the pvp flag I usually ended up with. So, this is a new change. About 2006 or so, there was a change that prohibited entering the grid with agro, but it was quickly reversed after the complaints about random grey mobs halfway across the playfield still hating you. Not sure why this was ever brought back. As silly now as it was then.
    This is not a change. You never could (at least since 2003 but some have confirmed since 2001) use grid terminals with aggro.
    You probably managed to shake off the mobs before getting to the terminals, is all.
    Many will remember, as I previously mentioned, the pre-SL days of PvP/Ganking in Meetmedere, where someone getting from the usual borgs XP'ing and going to the grid which, at the time, was a 25% area, had to either be really fast or risk getting hit by someone waiting around for them in there. Once you got attacked you either fought or ran off. Using the grid terminals was no longer an option.
    Mobs aggro'ing at least eventually stop chasing you.

The flags never prevented you from using grid terminals, either.

Safe for some bugs that may have possibly happened in the past (or, more likely, people having sync issues and confusing things..), the game has always functioned like this. Michi confirming just for the sake of would likely be a waste of his time but.. we can wait
    Last edited by DigitalBath; May 11th, 2015 at 16:18:32.
    --

--<3 Professional love--
    <Lazy>

If indeed "it has always been that way" is correct regarding not being able to use a grid terminal while you have agg from a mob or a ganker siting near a grid terminal inside a city ...

That does not mean it must remain that way.
    Especially with outdoor grid terminals where you can have agro from a distant mob
    Or, terminals inside cities when that is the only exit like Omni HQ(?)
    And/Or, terminals inside cities where the gas does not support dueling.

Emma

As a Clanner I'm very familiar with the fact that you can't use grid terminals in combat and haven't been able to for a very long time. Rolling high level missions you'll frequently get sent to Omni HQ, which is a small area packed with very aggressive guards. I've never made it through there without being attacked by at least one. The missions are easy to get to, but getting out again necessitates either a meep or a jog through the adjacent city to the nearest grid terminal outside of Omni HQ. It's been this way for as long as I can remember.

Perhaps something could be implemented to allow in-combat gridding, like when you click a grid terminal, if you're out of combat it'll grid you, if you're PvP flagged it'll do nothing, but if you're just in combat it'll cast a 0 NCU nano on you that lasts, say, 5 seconds. When those 5 seconds are up you get another nano that lets you grid. Think of capturing points in the BS, though I'd rather see it without the stun. This wouldn't allow PvPers to abuse the grid, and would prevent people from abusing the grid to fight or escape easily, but would get rid of that pesky situation where one rollerrat on the other side of the zone is still barrelling toward you with its 50 runspeed so you can't grid. If they wanted to be extra careful about it, they could have it cripple you for a few seconds like the fixer emergency meeps.

So in a nutshell: no combat no problem. PvP flagged: "access denied: user must not have a contagious PvP flag". In combat but not flagged: "access denied: if this is an emergency please wait 5 seconds and reactivate this terminal for emergency entry. WARNING: emergency entry is risky and physically demanding of the user"

Quote Originally Posted by Litestrider View Post
    As a Clanner I'm very familiar with the fact that you can't use grid terminals in combat and haven't been able to for a very long time. Rolling high level missions you'll frequently get sent to Omni HQ, which is a small area packed with very aggressive guards. I've never made it through there without being attacked by at least one. The missions are easy to get to, but getting out again necessitates either a meep or a jog through the adjacent city to the nearest grid terminal outside of Omni HQ. It's been this way for as long as I can remember.

Perhaps something could be implemented to allow in-combat gridding, like when you click a grid terminal, if you're out of combat it'll grid you, if you're PvP flagged it'll do nothing, but if you're just in combat it'll cast a 0 NCU nano on you that lasts, say, 5 seconds. When those 5 seconds are up you get another nano that lets you grid. Think of capturing points in the BS, though I'd rather see it without the stun. This wouldn't allow PvPers to abuse the grid, and would prevent people from abusing the grid to fight or escape easily, but would get rid of that pesky situation where one rollerrat on the other side of the zone is still barrelling toward you with its 50 runspeed so you can't grid. If they wanted to be extra careful about it, they could have it cripple you for a few seconds like the fixer emergency meeps.

So in a nutshell: no combat no problem. PvP flagged: "access denied: user must not have a contagious PvP flag". In combat but not flagged: "access denied: if this is an emergency please wait 5 seconds and reactivate this terminal for emergency entry. WARNING: emergency entry is risky and physically demanding of the user"
    Up until I read this I was mostly opposed to changing the way it works. Mostly because I learned to enjoy it, even when it goes against me.. but you got a really nice idea there.

It should be possible to run a delayed nano similar to the BS capture nano that works more like the NT "delayed nuke" line, in which you just cast something very quickly and then it ticks away without freezing you up in any way.
    It'll help quite a bit with these situations as I still think the Shoplifter/Graffiti missions are somewhat misplaced. PvM-only players have to endure them rather than enjoy them to get their dailies done.. and that can get very old for some.

+1 for this getting patched in some time in the future.
    --

--<3 Professional love--
    <Lazy>

For a short while, you could not enter mission entrances with mob aggro. That made things fun when the mission entrance was invariably surrounded by aggy mobs.