Thread: Jetpack

Jetpack

Hi,

a month ago i showed a friend Anarchy Online as one of my favourite games. After he played 3 days, he asked me "why is everyone able to fly except me?" and i told him "Yes, that's the right question!".

So y not adding the jetpack or yalmaha to a standard package for beginners, since everybody fly.. or does anyone know someone who doesn't have a yalmaha/jetpack/phasefont..? Not me!

For the newbies they could easier explore Rubi Ka and they might be impressed faster of the wonderful game.

greetz

you can buy a yalm for a couple mils in the basic shops...

did u have a couple of mils when u started playing ao?

It's goal like this which kept us all playing for so long

I still recall the first time I could finally afford a Yalm!
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

I really miss the jetpack and I wish they'd bring it back.

But I do have to agree with Lazy and Aiken, especially with the new shop that offers you a VA81 Yalm every time, and the nerf to Yalm "run"speed. A Yalmaha presents a very real and present goal. It's not even that tough, what with people routinely paying several million credits for basic nanos these days, it wasn't long ago that it took ages to sell enough concrete cushions or whatever to afford a Yalm.

And of course there's always the professions who can naturally fly, like MP and Adventurer, and by extension Agent, who have a much easier time using their flight these days. And ground vehicles, as much as they're laughed at, can be extremely helpful, particularly if you have one of the many professions with meeps, or engineer with beacon warp.

In addition, you say that it'd help experience the wonder, but in my experience, a Yalm mostly just makes Rubi-Ka feel tiny and empty. It's when you're on foot that the deserts feel like deserts, the landmarks are huge, the zones are far-off, and so on. Back when I had just subscribed I remember making the perilous journey from ICC down to Pleasant Meadows to hunt mutants, it was great, the world felt huge and dangerous and I saw all kinds of things along the way that I wanted to check out later. Now that I have flying cars on all my toons? I'd either hop an fgrid there, or fly a yalm way up in the sky and put it on autopilot. Boring, dull, no exploration or wonder. This is actually the reason the Shadowlands disables flight. If someone needs help way in the depths of Penumbra of Inferno, it still feels like a real journey to get to them, and learning the landmarks in the zones is actually useful, because you can't just fly over top of everything.

As much as I'd like to see the Ganimedes jetpack return, I guess I'd rather see it (or some similar variation) become a proper VA81 item sold in shops (or perhaps tradeskilled) rather than just "jetpacks for everyone!"